Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COYGIG - Women’s Football World Cup 23 **Mod Warning in Post #58**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It seems to mainly be a hand to eye coordination issue, rather than a height issue.

Most of them seem to look clumsy trying to save the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Oh I see why you mean now. I just remembered Peter Schmeichel playing against Ireland years ago - and he managed to make the goal look small, just by standing there.

The smaller female keepers should make it easier to score goals against, compared to that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,010 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

On the news yesterday they felt the need to keep mentioning the attendance of 75,000 at the Irish match. But it's like comparing apples and oranges, when looking at the price of the tickets for the mens and womens world cup.

A ticket for the men's World Cup final category 1 cost roughly €1,440. A ticket for the women's world cup final category 1 costs roughly €74, a child's ticket is half price. So you can imagine how much all the other stages below that cost by comparison. A category 1 women's group game costs €25, a child's ticket costs half that. A men's group game cost roughly €200, there's no child option.

The tickets for the women's final are 20 times cheaper than the men's. 40 times if you include the children and from the pictures I seen on the news, there's at least as many children there as there are adults attending. Category 1 by the way is the most expensive option. Category 3 women's group game tickets are €18 for an adult and €9 for children. The cheapest Category 3 group game ticket for the men's World Cup was €62.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

7.30 am, 10 am and 12.30 pm if my memory is correct.

Was watching the highlights this evening and the refs were announcing the VAR decisions to the crowd, is that coming into the men's game?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Have they called the Irish team the cailíns yet. Media can't stop calling the Australian team the Matildas. Or English the loinesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It looks that way.

According to the link above - the VAR announcements were already trialled - at the Club World Cup and u20 World Cup.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bit strange RTE are showing this game on the player only, given it's the dead of the night and Euronews is on RTE Two.

Love the big Irish head on Rose Lavelle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Is there no live game?

The random timings are a nuisance.

edit: don’t mind me if was half time 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

Damn, haiti should be one up on England

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What a pity Haiti couldn't manage to get a point in the end, that would have been something special

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It sure does.

Two games on today on RTE in late morning/early afternoon.

And just two comments on this thread.

Nothing going on in the Soccer forum either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

From driving around there’s feck all flags or bunting out. Even the likes of outside pubs and social venues.

Cmon women (in particular) of Ireland where’s your national pride!!??

Damn all interest in the real world yet RTE are gone completely gaga with their coverage. So wierd.

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

Damn all interest in the real world yet RTE are gone completely gaga with their coverage. So wierd.

It's hardly weird that a national broadcaster with rights to the competition would give extensive coverage to the competition with Ireland in it for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

This Netherlands v Portugal match is atrociously poor quality.Surprising to be honest as I would have expected the dutch in particular to be better. They've some very good players on their team.

Standard in this tournament so far appears to be a lot lower than the last euros and the last world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is very little interest in this tournament, its a simple fact.

Don't let the rte hype fool you. Womens football isn't as big as they want you to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭StevenToast

All the women in my life have absolutely ZERO interest in this World Cup.....they are far more interested in the All Ireland Final today....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

I think that's a reflection of the interest women have in GAA compared to soccer overall.

Go to any mens intercounty GAA game and you will find a sizeable proportion of the attendance are female from young girls to elderly ladies.

But go to a high profile mens soccer game (international, big LOI game) and there are going to be relatively few females there, and nothing like the age spread you would find at GAA.

Soccer just doesn't endere itself to female support the way GAA does.

It's probably due to the very local nature of GAA. Kids, both girls and boys start going to games with their families at an early age, mainly local club games, and then maintain that as they get older.

You don't have that in soccer. Most kids introduction to soccer is in the media and they rearly go to live games.

I believe AFL in Australia also has the same wide range of support from females.

Don't let the rte hype fool you. Womens football isn't as big as they want you to believe.

I still don't get the accusations of hype from RTE.

They are giving it as much attention as any national broadcaster with a team in it would.

When Ireland are not playing it's not superseding hurling or the Open golf championship in the sports headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Shaw is the best player on the field by a mile. It’s a pity she has no back up as she’s created plenty of chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

There’s a lot of guff in the media (especially RTE and OTB) about the numbers of fans who have travelled from Ireland. Seriously, how many fans have travelled from Ireland to Australia to watch? Fair play to anyone who has but the cost must be horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

"Which brand of a plug socket to buy?" , "Working remotely in Berlin" , and "Cancelling a bank draft" , are all topics that seem to be of more interest to the general boards.ie viewing public, than the Women's Football World Cup 23

#NotTrending

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Bigger stronger hands & wrist also help ,

Goal keeping between men & women is night & day , that why i think teams should approach scoring goals differently,

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TheProudHighway

Great to see the lads who have NO interest in this posting so much in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

Nah I’m all for it. Only problem I have with the women’s game is the USA dismissing a game that isn’t theirs as for girls and thus dominating, same token I watch the men’s but hoping against hope that Spain or Japan can stamp their own unique idenity on the trophy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There's one fella there who's so insistent on tearing the cup and the team down, that you'd almost think he feels a little.. threatened by the whole thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,255 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I have to say I found this weird. I’m no expert on broadcast technology but I am sure if you can show something on a player, live, that it can be shown easily enough on TV ? it’s all satellite / digital technology so…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭cms88

The way the media are reporting you'd think Ireland actually won the game. The clutching at straws from the media to try and pretend it was anything other than a loss is something else.

Great header to win the game for Italy.

• Advertisement

Big win for Germany.I'd like to see them win the whole thing and especially for Alexandra Popp she's been a great player but she's missed out on a lot of big games over the years due to injury (last years Euro's final for example) and she was by far the best player in that tournament and her injury during the warm up may have been the difference between Germany winning or losing that final.

Advertisement