Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,628 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's 2 very make able birdie putts missed by Rory on the 8th and 9th, both around 13 feet. He has to start sinking some of these if he wants to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Predictable enough start from Harman so far.

How good would a Rory Rahm last pairing duel to win the Open be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I don't think that they are a pairing that play well together. I think the tournament would be better with them in the last and second last group.

Rory is probably going to drop a shot here on the 12th. His approach on the 12th was probably a foot away from staying on the green, instead it rolled down a slope and probably doubled the distance, unlucky. His chip shot has come up well short of the flag and he did miss the par putt. His not making his birdie putts and now he's dropped back to -3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Rory should be 2 or 3 shots better...not taking advantage unfortunately. Needs to be st least -5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Ffs Rory...such a poor putt

Throw that putter in the bin Rory. He can't buy a birdie. So many missed chances. His game is good, but his putting is below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Are you surprised ? Unable for a modicum of pressure. Always falls apart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

-3 after 54, that's just too far back, he's done for another year. I expect he'll go low tomorrow when the championship is gone, but that's the story of the last nine years, he just doesn't put four rounds together when it matters the most.

Would have been unthinkable in August 2014 to think he'd go 10 years without winning another one. I do think he'll win another at some point, probably one of the American ones when it's played on a tour style course in conditions where he can just bomb it. But he has the talent to achieve so much more than he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

69 today when he needed 66, in any case Harmon looks to be miles ahead of everyone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Just curious. What satisfaction do you derive from your multiple posts on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Poor back nine. I still think the whole change of management and the fact he has a bunch of yes men around hasn't helped. He needs a caddy to get tough with him not his mate. The same with the agent and his coaches. Proper coaches might actually decide on a proper set of clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Doc07

He’s top 3 in the world, you’re not even top 3 in trolls on a small Irish website

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

But that's not really the issue, hes fine tee to green, he's just really bad at putting. I know he's working with faxon now, but even the best putting coach in the world can't seem to help him get it in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

He just completey lost the belief in the ball going in the hole.

Very familiar story for him sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

He will shoot a 65 tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

A caddy won't make him a better with the flat stick or scoring irons. Wedges were brutal earlier this season. Putter was cold today.

His missus could carry the bag like Westwood does for little difference. Someone had a great post in this thread about a grizzly bearded Scotsman scowling at Rory with fag hanging out of his mouth. Whats he really going to do? What's the caddy going to do for Justin Thomas? Poor lad will need therapy after R1.

Rahm absolutely ripping it up again is possible but Harman could well leave them all in his wake.

It's no exaggeration that Rory left at the very least 5 birdies behind today. Tee to green he was great, but his putting was so poor. They weren't long putts either, not did they have a lot of break. And his 1 bogey was slightly unfortunate, he landed on the green with his second shot, had it landed a foot more to the left it wouldn't have rolled off and left him so far away and below the hole with an awkward chip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Putting is the weakest part of Rory's game, it always has been. I don't know if he does a lot of work on it, if he doesn't, he should. It would also help if he had a caddy on the bag who is good at reading putts.

Thanks. I kind of figured that. I was just trying to understand what motivates trolls. I find it bewildering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Waste of time. I asked him some simple questions yesterday and he completely ignored me. Also reported him for trolling. So you can thank me if he's banned.

Question for mods. What is the process for banning those who only come onto the thread in order to wind people up? Do we all need to report them, or is it better to just ignore them in the hope that they will get bored and stop posting?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mod note: report posts that you think are trolling. We will do our best to review and action. Sometimes, this could be a day later. We are only human!

Thanks Keano. I appreciate what you mods do. I just thought that a general discussion about trolling might help me (and others) to understand the motivation behind such posts. Apologies if I have been out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Really hard to know where he goes from here with his putting tbh. Like, there’s times when it’s not too bad, even good, on occasion (usually on really quick greens), but so often it’s just two putt after two putt from 6-12 feet. Wonder has he brought his Scotty over with him and will we see it tomorrow. Probably not.

normally I’d be in the “golf is hard, sometimes they just don’t drop” camp, and I largely believe that (at all levels of the game tbh), but it just happens too often with Rory for it to be just one of those things. Hopefully he figures it out, must be so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He should have been -6 after 5 instead of "just" -3. Felt like he was trying to force it down the back 9 a little to try and make up for the missed opportunities early on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

Just to reiterate the above, Mods don't read every post in every thread, Reported Posts are a very important tool to aid Mods.

FYI the poster in question has now been permanently site banned by Admin.

Advertisement