Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Suppose it depends on whether people are watching all the Korean stuff, by way of example. I know they pushed a lot of cash into their Korean arm, but beyond Squid Game has anything else taken hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Money Heist -Spain, The Crown - UK, Dark - Germany come to mind off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the most controversial changes in Irish cinema-going in a generation... the IFI is now selling popcorn 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 19,269 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm sort of upset by this, I have to admit. I absolutely hate the stink of buttery popcorn in cinemas.

Also, 3.00 for a 330ml coke? Feck off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The one thing I miss about living in Dublin is buttery popcorn in the cinemas. Everytime the server asks me if I want sweet popcorn I have to fight the urge to slap them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Do any of the cinemas in Dublin do buttery popcorn anymore? I know Odeon did it at one point but it's mostly just standard salted stuff in any of the cinemas I go to regularly in the city centre! Would be very surprised if IFI offered anything other than that!

Yeah, to be fair my local was an Odeon and it was the only place where I got the buttery stuff.

Bizarrely, Odeon actually does Deliveroo food orders now - just checked and there is still a 'butter-flavoured' option, so they must have some buttery option anyway. But yeah, that's the only place I know of that does it.

It's the only kind of popcorn I ever remember having in the cinema until I was a grown adult and started venturing to new cinemas. I remember going to CineWorld on Parnell St. when I was in college and being shocked that they only had salted popcorn. Come to think of it, all my new college friends seemed bemused by the idea of the butter popcorn.

@TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The one thing I miss about living in Dublin is buttery popcorn in the cinemas.

You're going straight on the ignore list for that Tickles. 😡

• Advertisement

Pretty sure the cinema out in Tallaght still does it.

But yeh, I can't see the IFI doing it myself.

I just don't eat anything at the pictures though. Never have, even as a kid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whatever about popcorn in cinemas, or what the "right" type should be, what put me right off the idea was one too many times the popcorn was simply stale. Yuck.

Kinda agree with Tony on this one though: the stink of crappy food in cinemas is a nasty 'aul stench to endure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is the buttery stuff like the microwave in a bag you can get in a supermarket? As in, do cinemas make popcorn and dunk it in butter?

Doesn't taste the same as the supermarket stuff. If i remember correctly they had a pump behind the till that the "butter" came out of. No idea what it was but it's a taste I associate with the cinema and I love it!

I have melted butter in the microwave to try to replicate it with home popped stuff. I find if you melt it fully and then scoop put the clear liquid it's somewhat close, but not exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Sorry wrong thread

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

• Registered Users Posts: 86,384 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Charlie Brooker AI episode of Black Mirror right on time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Given Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse generated a fair amount of cash, I wonder if we'll ever see an animated theatrical Batman outgoing. Your move, DC.

The animated DC movies have been consistently the superior output of DC's stable of heroes; so I'd not say it's completely out of the question, but not sure what it would take for one of the many animated movies to get a release to cinemas.

Recently watched Mask of the Phantasm, and it was a fantastic film, and more nuance, complexity than I was anticipating. And was indeed released in the cinemas, fadó; couple of months window in 1993.

Post edited by pixelburp on

I'll ask James Gunn for an update next time I see him...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Rock has donated a 7 figure sum so a minimum $1m to SAG-AFTRA the largest single donation they have ever received.

That will help those striking pay some bills for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well DC are releasing 2 animated movies out on home video next year which is Justice League: Crisis of Infinite Earths and Watchmen.

Batman: Mask of The Phantasm is also getting a 4K remaster on UHD Blu-ray from mid September.

The 4K remaster will include a special feature about the life of Kevin Conroy after he died last year.

Didn’t MASK OF THE PHANTASM get a run at the cinema back at its original release?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It did.

I think another DC animation got a theatrical release as well. Was it the first episodes of Beware The Batman?

Yes it did; boxofficemojo indicates it was a couple of months across Christmas to February; took in a few million too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

HMV in the UK have put up a pre-order for Batman MOTP in 4K UHD on their website.

Hopefully it will come to the new HMV Ireland website very soon.

Also some very dramatic news coming from Disney tonight. They are to exit the physical media market in Australia due to an increase of people using streaming services in the region. People can still import Disney titles from other countries. However they will have to pay higher import costs for the privilege.

Disney's final physical media title for the Australian market will be GOTG Vol.3.

Hollywood studios giving exact release dates is relatively new. I think it start just before Disney bought Lucasfilm.

How did this come about ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Strike discussion split into its own thread https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058306984/hollywood-labor-disputes

I hadn’t heard this bizarre rumour before about Clive Owen’s badger phobia.

It seems like someone used to put weird and untrue trivia about him on IMDB.

He doesn’t eat biscuits though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,384 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think there's a thread somewhere here and I just can't find it so I'll post here instead of starting another one.

The Toxic Avenger starring Peter Dinklage will premiere at Fantastic Fest in the US which starts September 21st.

https://2023.fantasticfest.com/films/64dba08fcd428000504ec6ea

Don't know when or how it will be released here since doesn't exactly seem a theatrical release type film

First image (just posting link due to the size)

https://assets-prd.ignimgs.com/2023/08/15/toxic-avenger-4press-1692119529874.jpg

Advertisement