Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Virgin Hub to New Virgin hub and Asus router

Options
  • 21-07-2023 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Ok have the current Virgin router in modem mode and then using a Asus Ax86u as main one. Have wifi split between 2.5 and 5g and all good

However changing account to Mrs Gunner to get better deal so have to reset it all up again with new Virgin router. Want to keep the same network name and just change the pw. So do you have to first get Virgin to get modem to accept IP 4 and then set up networks and then put in modem mode

Then in the system status wireless settings just change the WPA_PSK Key to new password

Trying to see what's the best way as then need to reconnect all the home automations up again also 😫

Any easier way let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

so have to reset it all up again with new Virgin router.

Do you?

As(if) asus serving as router, NAT, DHCP, WiFi, etc ...

I'd say only part you'd need to change is WAN side on asus, LAN side should stay as is (no change for anything inside home network, no reconnect needed)

WiFi pass is home side of things, at any time(reconnect would be needed)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

ok some tech words bit over my head

New modem arrived but it's old model(white) not v2(black) We currently have the black one. On 500 so is there a difference.

So in simple terms what do I need to do? Do I need to ring virgin to get it ip4 enabled?

Once done do I need to set up the 2.4 & 5 and then put it in modem mode. Or do I put it in modem mode and then set up 2.4 & 5 on Asus

Want to try set it up over the weekend so ready for Monday wfh so easiest way possible

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You shouldn’t have to do anything at all with the ASUS. Make sure the VM router is in modem mode - which as you mention you need an ipv4 address for. Once you have confirmed that just plug in the asus and all should be fine. (You may need to turn off the Wi-Fi on the VM router also)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As you VM-to-VM swap, then it should be rinse-repeat as you had before

See here if it helps

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011715/

Thanks

So I will hook up the new virgin hub and then change settings to modem mode. Then once done connect it to the Asus. Then under System status keep the same wireless name and just change the WPA PSK key for both 2.4 and 5ghz.

Also any difference in the 2 hubs virgin supply. I currently have the black one but the one they supplied was the white one. on BB 500

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There should be no need to change the passwords in the router.

New router new login. Virgin won't let me keep black router

Have Internet points around house turned off wifi on laptop and hardwired it to new virgin router to put it into modem mode. Then tried to login again using 192.168.100.1 no joy

Need time outside of wfh hours to connect new router to Asus, hopefully still in modem mode, then change wifi pw but keep wifi names the same

Ok connected router up and put it into modem mode while other router was on downstairs so I could have it ready so just plug and play and update passwords

So disconnected everything. Connected coaxial cable to new router and then cable from this to Asus. The light on the white virgin router looked purple so assumed it was in modem mode. Then logged onto PC and could get into Asus router and kept the same network name and updated the PW to new password and nothing

I was connected on phone but could not get online. On the settings in Asus was saying your ISP DHCP does not function properly. Spent ages trying to figure it out and nothing was working. Not sure if Virgin set to PPOE etc. Then gave up and reset the virgin modem. Login again to router and no option to put into Modem mode so need to ring Virgin to switch to IP4 which I cant do until Friday!!

I thought it would be easier than this and just plug and play and update the pw or is there anything I am missing?

Got it sorted virgin switch to ip4 then you need to reset modem for modem mode to appear.

Did that and changed wifi pw on asus and all good

• Registered Users Posts: 29 conorking

Brilliant…. changing your account to Mrs Gunner.

Why didn’t I think of that??

• Advertisement
Advertisement