Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Works for me. Got a location in LittleIsland.

ID.3 1st Ed on v3.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Anyone else have an annoying little squeak apparently coming from the dashboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,293 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have one, it's actually the glove box. Drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Ease of access into the MY was what sold it, the m3 was too low in this case, plus the fact the Y was 8k cheaper than a stripped out id4 life ect ..Im not a fan of any suv style car (x3, x5, xc90 ect) and wouldn’t feel comfortable in any of them, unless I was towing a trailer. However the sheer size of the MY for a large family is amazing, the boot, frunk and cable storage compartments are immense.

We are spoilt with the turning circle of the id3, only beaten by that of the i3.

The id3 has a few glitches but it’s a great car, most cars now seem to have small issues (or worse), we won’t be selling the tour, il keep it long term, probably just as well given the shocking trade in prices, €40,607 for a new 58kw id3 (low spec) and people being offered <28k for two year old 77’s, high spec’d cars.

€49,259 for a Tour now !!

Is the We Charge card from VW locked to a vehicle- for example the id3 on my vw account account.

Or can I also use it to charge the i3/Tesla on IONITY (like an ecars card?

You can use it on any car. It just ties the charging session to your credit card so they can get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Would one of those cards be worth it for an infrequent (maybe twice a year) user?

No photos or thoughts will be available, tossers have handed me a 58kWh ID3 Life.

• Advertisement

Thanks KCross, @Soarer its a free card and no subscription through the vw app - I had been putting off all the signing up stuff, after a fiasco trying to charge in cashel I’m trying to make it as easy as possible, unit price doesn’t interest me as long as it works for the once or twice a year that I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks @handpref

So order this card, load it with cash, then rock up to any chargepoint, tap the card, and charge? No faffing around with different memberships, apps, etc.?

Input your Cc details on the vw app - it should just charge you for what you use but il be doing a dummy run before depending on it 😬

You can use an Easy Go fob on IONITY or at least you could but you have to load up your account, I had awful trouble with this and no customer service at the time. Scanning the IONITY machine has also been problematic, hopefully this card will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I still have my We-Charge cardfrom the ID3 and it's on a free subscription now. I only use it very rarely, but it's handy for ionity. I have seen people at Ionity in Kill phone the helpline number and the the customer service just activated the charger for free.

The App is handy to see what sites are available or in use but it's easier for me to use the VW app.

I recently had v3.2 of the software installed on my car and there were a couple of main features added with that version.

1) Plug & Charge (i.e. no RFID cards or apps etc to start a charge session)

2) Increased charge rate

I said I'd share the experience as I haven't heard anyone say they got Plug & Charge working. Anyway, it works!

1)

A few things though, it didn't just work. I had to do some setup first. You need to add a Plug & Charge provider to your account in the WeCharge app (on your phone) and then "Install" Plug&Charge to the car. I think it pushes a certificate to the car for that provider.

When I got the car back with v3.2 on it the phone app just said it was compatible with P&C in the "Plug and Charge" section of the app but it didn't really explain how to enable it.

It wasn't obvious but I had to go to "Profile" section of the app and select "Charging on the go-->Plan Overview-->Change Plan". I still just selected the PAYG/FREE plan that I was already on and THEN the "Plug and Charge" section of the app updated and it had an "Install" button.

Clicked "Install" and it complained that the car was offline. The car was online but turned off so I just turned the car on and hit "Install" again and then it proceeded and a few seconds later said it was successful and that was it. The Plug and Charge section of the app now looks like this

I plugged into Ionity at Cashel, pressed nothing and it said it was checking with my provider and a few seconds later the charge session started. Result!

2)

And then to item 2... prior to v3.2, the max the ID.3 would charge at was 100kW... it went straight to 120kW... result!

Hopefully that helps a few others who want to set Plug and Charge up. I did also ask eCars if they had any plans to support P&C and they said no! Pity about that as that would have made it a whole lot more useful but I dont use eCars anyway, unless badly stuck. Ionity ftw.

Post edited by KCross on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭CoBo55

My Born has it already I'm going to take a spin up to ionity in Gorey and see does it work, I have it all set-up in the apps I got the card this morning but I'm just going to plug in and see what happens without using the card🫣

Very helpful info, will try once it comes back from 3.2 🙌

Also, you need to turn on plug and charge in the infotainment in the eCharging sub menu. It was greyed out until I got the certificate installed on the phone app.

Thats in your Cupra Born though, yes?

There isn't an "eCharging" option in the ID.3 but there is a Charging section and a new option called "Plug and Charge" appeared but it was on by default so I didn't have to change anything there.

You know what I meant, I was just pointing it out in case it needed to be turned on after installing the certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Got an error message yesterday.

Error emergency call button. Please visit your workshop.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Id 3 1st running 3.2 software

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Thanks for that, worked perfectly. I had tried before but never copped that I had to change the existing charging plan to make it work.

Yes, that was the key thing. I think it might only be a problem for those of us who were signed up to the WeCharge plan back in 2020-2022 and my guess is that you need to just signup again to get the new free plan which looks the same but is compatible with P&C.

That’s my theory anyway!

Should work right away for anyone signing up today for the first time and buying a car that has v3.2+ already on it so it might just be an issue for longer term owners. Maybe.

One difference that I do see with the new plan is that it’s 3 months and auto renewal is off. Need to figure out if that can auto renew like the original plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I don’t think there was an option to auto renew, but maybe it’s on the web version?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

Me too.

I'm also an ID.3 1st but I'm not on v3.2 yet.

I've just ignored it for now but Google is telling me it needs to be fixed at a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

I think I might have the faulty battery modules. The car is a 1st with 202 reg. I checked the VIN on the recall link and the battery comes up as well as the software update.

Also there is this,

16 kWh/100 and a range of 286 indicates 46KW of usuable battery. Long way of 58KW. I generally drive it conservative enough and mostly on secondary roads. Anyone else seeing that? It's 18 degrees today, what would it be like in the Winter.

The 16kWh/100km is a measure of how much energy is used for the 1790km's. It doesn't tell you anything about the capacity of the battery.

A range of 286km at 100% is poor but not terrible.

You should book it in for the v3.2 update asap and they will do the battery check at the same time.

If you have an OBDII dongle you could check the battery health yourself. What county are you in?

Thanks, I will check it again this evening after my commute to give a more accurate measurement. I will contact the dealer and get it booked in also. I'm in Cavan btw.

To make it more accurate you should try to run the car to <10% so the car can "see" the bottom of the battery. Then charge it to full again and see if that 286km improves.... it might move up or down a bit but not a whole pile, but it might hit 300km for you which would be a psychological boost if nothing else! :)

I'm in Cavan btw

Too far away for me. If you're in the Cork area sometime I could connect mine to it and give you a readout on it.

• Advertisement

I'll do both. Working from home tomorrow and with just a bit of spinning around over the weekend I should have it down low on Monday. Rang the dealer there and they said they've put me on the list but it could be a month or 2 before they get to me. Such great service as usual from VW.

Advertisement