Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I see lots of Liverpool fans both online and IRL that fully believe they are the best positioned team to challenge City next season. Not a team in the middle of a rebuild.

And I can understand why -

• Improvements made in their weakest area, the midfield this summer. Get a new holding midfielder and it's completely rebuilt.
    • The likes of Gkapo have replaced Firminho, Diaz replaced Mane. So good signs of squad rebuild overall already. These players have had time now to find their feet.
    • Have the best keeper in the league
    • A player who is nearly always in the race for the golden boot each season.
    • 2nd best manager.
    • Finished the season strong.
    • Nunez has had a full year in the league and under Klopp -could be his breakout season
    • If Klopp can work TAA into a system that hides his weaknesses and exposes his strengths you have a player of the year calibre player there.

When you look at it - it would be a major underachievement for Pool to go another season without challenging. It would actually have to raise major questions if they aren't back challenging. Not saying winning it because all clubs are chasing a cheat but Pool need to be close next season.

I don't see them as a team stuck in the middle of a rebuild at all. I see a team who has done a lot of that work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

The only unknown in all of that is the back line. It was slow last year, although it had no midfield cover at all. VVD was slow before the world cup and didn't get any better after it. Trent's position is also an unknown. If midfield can cover him when he goes up the pitch, then I'll be happier.

I think a competent midfield will make a world of difference alright.

If Klopp can get them all working in a system that gets Trent into those half spaces between wide players and the midfield then Pool will be flying. Nunez playing off the left could have some dream service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder if this is a teaser to some news later on? ©

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wonder who gets vice captain? Would like to see Salah get it

I'd be shocked if Van Dyk doesn't get the captaincy. Born leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A good captain should be able to refocus the team and dig his teammates out of a hole when they’re up against it. Virgil does not have that in him, he often goes the opposite way.

He’ll almost certainly get the armband, but Alisson, Robbo and Salah are better leaders IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't agree with your assessment on he improvement of the squad and their ability to challenge, but you are spot on in terms of where the expectation levels should be. You can't just step out of the CL for multiple years in succession. That isn't acceptable for Real Madrid like. As such, the idea that we'll have a more interesting rerun of last year with "exciting" newer players and all will be okay, Klopp will stay, fans will be enthused is just a nonsense.

The atmosphere will be incredibly difficult unless this team is able to challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,490 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

100%

Love him as a player, but I don't see him being a good captain

When Gerrard was moving closer to leaving Liverpool, there was almost a sense of inevitability around Henderson becoming captain of the club, even though there were more senior players like Milner, Lucas around him. You could see him maturing the year or two previous and growing into the leader of those around him.

Personally, I don't see that with VVD. I think he's able to lead a defence alright but he also a brilliant voice behind him, and he did have one in front of him too.

Ignoring last season, I think that Trent was on course to make a step up, maybe in 2024 ish time and taking over the role full time while Henderson became more of a squad player (kind of like how Gerrard took over Hyypia while Hyypia still stayed playing). I think one more season would have been enough for Trent to settle and mature and be ready to take on the mantle then. But then last season will have rocked him, so he has enough to worry about without being given captaincy on top of it.

I prefer to have a long term captain, rather than a new one every 2 years, so he would have been my choice from 2024 on but there's been a spanner in the works so we are where we are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Not disagreeing with the point your making, but Milner joined after Gerrard left so couldn’t have been in the running to take over!

ah yes, correct!

Milner did captain us a good bit that season alright, must be why I had it in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've never liked the idea of goalies or forwards as captains.

I'd go for Robertson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Anyone think Onana from Everton would be a decent CDM to come in? He's young, has got the height to replace Fabinho and a year in the prem under his belt. Really good recovery pace and tackling. And Everton need the money. I think the aerial capability of an incoming CDM will be really important and not all of the names touted so far really stand out in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Van Dijk has captained the side lots over the last 3/4 years. A shoe in for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As vice captain he’s fairly nailed on alright. Who knows, maybe the extra responsibility will curtail his sulks when things go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Apparently Bayern are looking at Fabhino as well. Maybe they'll stick in a bid as well and we can ask for Kimmich 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I don't know, Erik Ten Hag has been pretty impressive 😉😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

I enjoy the way some folks here are saying this guy or that guy shouldn't or should be captain as if they were training and playing matches with them 24/7 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

We all have eyes, we all watch matches and it doesn't take a genius to narrow down who would or would not be captain material. It's a light hearted enough discussion amidst the usual angst of the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Any idea why both the Henderson and Fabinho (in particular) deals are taking so long

Normally once a player leaves camp it means a deal is agreed and then it is 1-2 days for a medical.

Would be mad if both deals fell through and the two lads returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Hopefully not.

The only worry is that we needed another midfielder or 2 before it was apparent Hendo or Fab were off.

Usually we get our ducks in row before a player departs (get all signings in place before sales to avoid being fleeced).

1 further midfielder won't be enough, we really need 2 midfielders plus a left sided CB, or 1 midfielder (DM) and 2 defenders (Left sided CB and right sided defender if TAA will be a midfielder full time).

Think TAA needs a DM beside him, with Szoboslai and McAllister in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

The delay is worrying

If Liverpool were happy with the price so they let the lads leave camp, and the lads were happy with the terms, then it should have been very smooth and completed in few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Milner - Jones was taking his spot late in season

OX - Elliott replaced him long ago

Keita - Bajcetic in team, played more games than him last season

Carvalho - Szoboszlai massive upgrade

Henderson ?

Fabinho ?

Mac Allister - luxury addition

Trent - A midfield star is born

What we need now is a younger Henderson/Milner, a runner , a forever optimistic type, and a new No6 . Henderson easy to replace, Fabinho not so much, we should go for Bruno Guimaraes, weaken Newcastle in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It could be the case that Liverpool has been stalling while the deal for a replacement is secured. Henderson is reported to have a medical scheduled for today.

Szoboszlai has replaced both Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita.

Bajcetic & Alexander-Arnold have Henderson's #8 role covered.

Mac Allister will displace Thiago.

Fabinho's #6 role is the problem position to fill. At present the backup option is Tyler Morton.

We have 2 non-homegrown spots available when Fabinho completes his transfer and one of them is likely to be taken by a new defender.

Thiago? Are we losing him too , wtf

Thiago's contract is up in June 2024. Mac Allister is his replacement, a signing that suggests that there may have been some forward planning behind the scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Jesus yeah, im just reading this now he wants to leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would be disappointed.

I think he has something to prove with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The ever reliable news source that is Teamtalk was peddling a story yesterday that Thiago was concerned that his playing time would be reduced by the arrival of new signings Mac Allister and Szoboszlai. 🤣

Should be safe enough for minutes given that we've seen a whole team's worth of midfielders head out the door 😅

Klopp seems so determined to put things right, and for the players to put it right, it could be an epic season, with a few more signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

League + One of the cups please. (Ideally Europa).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,490 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

If you offered me getting humiliated in every cup but winning the league I'd take it 😋

A good start can last a season, it did with Arsenal last season, they had no base to do what they did, but an easy start led to some belief and momentum and they continued to thrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Athletic reporting that Henderson has completed his medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Henderson’s medical is done and dusted according to Pearce, just a case of doing the paperwork now.

I’d have him as our best captain since the 80s until a couple of weeks ago. Now his legacy is tainted forever.

Szoboszlai get ankle injury in training today, nothing new then. 😌

Ideally he'd play the preseason games, and start to settle into the way we play, not likely now, out of next game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Who knows, maybe he's on a mission to turn Saudi .Judging by his latest workout video this could be the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hyperbole much?

Guy gave us 12 of his best years and rides off into the sunset at 33 to get a huge payoff.

Ah in fairness the actual circumstances add a grimmer edge to it.

At the end of the day footballers are just that, footballers, they haven't the political power to change a thing. They can shine a light by using their profile, but that's where their power ends. I'm sure his beliefs and values haven't changed, and won't have by the time he leaves Saudi. He has a sum total of 33 goals for Liverpool, I dunno what the Saudi's think they are buying, but he's Mr Sideways, a boring yet vital cog in a winning machine, over there he'll be a square peg that will never fit in the round hole he'll be expected to fill. No one has ever wanted to buy Henderson in his whole Liverpool career, regardless of our success, shame to lose the captain, but he's average at best, his will to win and to give 100% to the cause is what kept him around this long, in reality he's a mid table player.

Given that it's Gerrard that's buying him, i've a fair idea they know exactly what they're getting. And that's a player who was always a far more offensive dynamic option than you give him credit for, and who still has the leadership to build a new team around, which is what they're doing. (not to mention that even a mid table PL player is tippity top tier in Saudi football terms).

And he may still have those beliefs, but he's entirely undermined all the good he had previously done by showing that rightous conviction only extends as far as the number of 0's someone's willing to lash onto your pay check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Jesus Toby you're so close to going on the ignore list. (Btw I actually don't have such a list)

I can't understand the shift in your posting style, it's gone from crazy having the laugh look at me, To just look at me I'm being super critical.

Advertisement