Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a bank draft

• 21-07-2023 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

What is required to cancel a bank draft?

I done a quick google and worryingly this is what came up;

Canceling a Bank Draft

Since the buyer has already paid the funds represented by the bank draft, the only means of effectively canceling the draft is to have the seller cash it and return the funds to the buyer.

I was in the process of buying a car privately, but the sale fell through last minute. As I do not know the seller I cannot trust them to cash the bank draft and return the funds to me. If I simply return the bank draft to AIB will they just refund me the bank draft amount?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ompl

Eh... Is that possible, the bank draft is in the sellers name?

I'll be delighted if its a simple as that, but from checking on google it's not that easy! I guess i'll find out monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

You should be able to either call the issuing bank or call into them and have them cancel it - I know PTSB can cancel them over the phone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If that is the case then their drafts are worthless. The whole point of a draft is that is guaranteed payment for the recipient. Are you absolutely sure that they do this?

• Advertisement

It should not be possible to cancel a draft nor deposit it into an account other that the one to whom it made out to. The is the whole point of a draft in the first place. Of course it's possible that some member of state would unknowingly do otherwise. Take it back to the bank and let them deal with it. You might have to pay them a fee though, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭boetstark

Correct. A bank draft is a guaranteed prepaid money instrument between the financial institution and the payee.

You cannot cancel over the phone. If you are in possession of the draft and you are the person who purchased it , you can lodge it back into your account.

If it gets lost and you wish to cancel you need to sign an indemnity form , more or less covering the bank against loss should it be presented at a future date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you haven't handed it over to the seller it has not become irrevocable.

Contact the bank Monday AM and they will advise on how to proceed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Yes, I am sure, at least it was the case when I worked there (that's a few years ago now, though)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

When I worked in BOI (10 ish years ago now in fairness, so could have changed) once we could see the draft was drawn on an account, we could lodge it back (less government stamp duty and draft charge (€2.40 if I remember correctly)).

• Advertisement

That is shocking as it would demonstrate a clear lack of understanding of financial product and leave the bank open to legal action in cases of fraud perpetrated as a result of cancelling the draft in that manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Years ago I was able to physically go into the bank and deposit a draft back into the account from which it was drawn. That was when there were actual people manning the counters, but it was no problem. Can not remember if there was a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

What you read was when the draft has been handed over. In that case it is very difficult/near impossible to cancel.

As you still have it, simply go into the branch you purchased it from and assuming you used funds in an account to purchase the draft, it can be cancelled.

There might be a small fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What you’re saying defies belief - I can get a draft for x amount, hand it to someone who’s selling a car, take the keys and the car from him and promptly phone the bank to get the draft cancelled!

Will the bank then refund the money to me? If not, what happens next?

The seller has a bona fide draft in his hand which instructs bank y to pay him x amount. How can he be denied payment?

Post edited by coylemj on

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Same when I worked there. We’d usually ask the person for the receipt as well. It could only be done in the branch where the draft was purchased though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭HorseSea

I have cancelled bank drafts before, provided you still have the draft it should not be a problem. Return to branch of purchase.

If the seller had it, then you have no options other than rely on them to return it or the cash.

The security of the draft for the seller only exists when they have it in their possession, otherwise it's worthless to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As far as I recall, a bank draft is a "bearer instrument", so no ownership details are included on the draft and therefore it can be recashed to the bearer (he/she who physically holds it). Banks prefer to do this to an account these days.

You are right, once a draft is handed over and the goods (in this case a car) are in the possession of the buyer the draft cannot be cancelled.

However in this case the sale did not go through. The prospective buyer still has the draft and the seller has the goods.

It's a simple administrative transaction for the bank to cancel the draft and return the funds to the OP's account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's not the point. What I was referring to is the apparent ability of the drawer to phone the issuing bank to get the draft cancelled. Which you would have thought would not be possible via a phone call. The bank can't tell if goods have changed hands or not.

It's an entirely different situation if (as in this case) the drawer still has the draft and brings it back to the branch where it was issued to get it cancelled.

You are right a draft cannot be cancelled over the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement