Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enough is enough? Dublin north inner city crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Yep, our "precious democracy" needs to be protected by providing increased security detail for politicians, gender re-education for kids, hotels for economic migrants and green taxes for the rest of us. Every single other request is just fake news from "racist" "far right" Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I thought the Dublin Chamber of Commerce was a representative body for commercial interests and businesses in Dublin , if anything they’d agree that are issues in the city rather than be needed to be encouraged to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭nachouser

I live in D8, so I'm not having a go about Dublin. Look up the UK or France. They both have level 2 warnings about safety but neither have the capital city called out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

The same myopic arguments over and over

"I've never had a problem so there is no problem",

"Other places have problems so stop complaining about problems here".

Imagine going into a cancer ward and declaring they YOU'VE never been sick, and that cancer rates in other parts of the world are higher, so stop whingeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭bartkingcole

Quite frankly. The Minister needs to step down or be sacked. No acknowledgment of a real problem. One of the most important jobs of a Government is that people feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

Bring 20 cops from Slovakia and problem will be solved very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Are you mad !

The country is crying out for more nail bars and coffee shops. Also, engineers to keep the social media videos flowing. And we don't need any plumbers or carpenters. We need influencers. And people who can dance with the stars ! We need people who can get a million likes on YouTube for farting in elevators ! We don't need to produce our own food. We need insurance salesmen. That's what we need. And people to resell pensions ! Oh, and Yoga on Zoom. Lots and lots of yoga over zoom. Who needs doctors when the country is crying out for people to walk dogs.

🤣🤣🤣

Little sh**s would think twice if these guys are patrolling the streets

• Advertisement

I was joking about the fact that we don't have enough people to do the jobs we actually need here. Why? Cause we don't reward them enough and there are other easier jobs where they might get rewarded more.

Cops should be paid top dollar, some cops that are just driving around in cars in America are paid 250K+, because they are funded by the locals that live there, but they also know once they call them, the threat will be eliminated, this way or another. How much would you pay cop in Dublin inner city to get rid of these scum**gs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

How many Ryan Tubridy salaries would fund more cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see the GoFundMe to bring his family over from US was looking for $10k they are now at nearly $25k, some anonymous punter gave $2500. The government or Tourism Ireland really should be standing in here to offer support, this shouldn't be happening 100m from a Garda station in the capital city.

Exactly, money is going in wrong pockets, I'm pretty sure if government says tomorrow that TV license is becoming Garda license, many will pay, train them, arm them all and pay them 50K+. Outsource cheap admin staff that you can do vetting on, just to do admin work for Gards, and you will not see any issue in any inner city, not only Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I still don't think body cams are in use..bizarre really at this stage... legislation has dragged on and on for an age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Perhaps issue tourists with CS spray if they are visiting Dublin city centra?

By the time body cams are approved, you will need fully armed force to deal with the problem 🤠

Dublin is a tiny city. Really the stuff we need has been hollowed out and is badly paid.

There should be large tax breaks for those who really contribute to society. And especially those who put their health and safety on the line.

And higher tax on those who have large salaries and benefits but do not put their health and safety on the line. Who, really do not contribute to society, but take as much money as they can and run.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Can we take child benefit, social housing and all social benefits from all parents of these teenagers? You can't just tax people, you have to take from the ones that are not doing their bit for society too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭mobby

This is where the money is going, This poor lad and the Mrs just back from a round-the-world cruise. Gets Free Legal Aid and then wants €34000 grand of the taxpayer's money to pay for a forensic accountant and quantity surveyor. we are being laughed at by the scumbags of this country. assisted by the legal aid barristers and solicitors.

Judge 'gobsmacked' over 'outrageous' legal aid fees James 'Mago' Gately is seeking in CAB battle - Irish Mirror Online

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Higher taxes

Punish people who are working because of the behaviours of well fed parasites? "They contribute nothing" who are you even on about here? It's like earlier in this thread posters stating that the solution to inner city criminality is for even more social housing in the centre of Dublin.

Where are we going with all this? More social housing, welfare traps, intergenerational criminality and antisocial attitudes, government funded private rentals, homeless shelters, drug treatment centres, injection rooms, unaffordable housing for workers forcing them to move and commute, criminals being seen as victims.

This seems to be what people want. I don't think Ireland or Dublin are willing to tackle this issue. I'll just avoid the area. Good luck with the thriving "community" you're building

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I hate you...bet I don't get a guard to the door...joke!

No joke. Can you imagine how soul destroying it is for the guards? Did their jobs, into court with some scroot. 16 seconds later they're out!

I've a hard time reconciling what they do and the effort compared to our justice minister.

Hopefully they're enjoying the school, sorry dail, summer holidays.

• I think one of the biggest problems is we need to start actually admitting we have problem with quite signifiant anti social behaviour and violent crime in certain locations. Anytime it’s pointed out, there’s inevitably a load of highly defensive posts trying to claim it’s either not a problem or it’s a quite normal in every city. It’s not and people need to be able to call it out and demand to be in a safer environment. Policing is totally inadequate and the judiciary are not sentencing appropriately.

The simple reality of this is that it’s making a lot of people’s lives miserable and it’s doing terrible damage to parts of Dublin (and elsewhere).

We are tolerating far too much utterly abysmal behaviour by what amounts to street bullies and violent thugs.

It’s not new either. I’m around long enough to know that areas of Dublin required you to have your wits about you back in the 90s and I’ve heard plenty of horror stories from the 80s. We have never addressed these issues head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dasdog

I hope the fella makes a recovery. He's not from a rich family and there is a fund me page.

Everything from where the Convention Centre to the East used to be a no go area up to about 20 years ago. If you did venture in feral youth would chase you out. Dublin is so much safer than it was in the 1980's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Yeah it's improving all the time although it might not seem like it.

All statistics on homicide, burglary, car theft etc have been trending downwards for years.

The North East Inner City has an interesting history. It had Monto, the docks, tenemant housing.

Apparently it was the combination of containerization in the 70s and heroin from early 80s which destroyed the area. Containerization caused mass unemployment. Then the Russian invasion of Afghanistan and the Iran Revolution in 79 than caused Europe to be flooded with heroin.

So it's had a long history of poverty and deprivation.

Heroin use has been dropping steadily in Dublin for years though and access to education and training has improved.

So the area is gradually improving.

People really are a product of their environments though. Kellie Harrington and the lad from "Talking Bollix" podcast both got in to drink and drugs very young, but grew out of it and took a different path. If they'd been born in the countryside, it's likely they would've never been exposed to drugs at least.

I'd like people like them consulting on social projects in the inner city since they've been there and done that.

It has a huge amount of social housing though in a small area, so it would be good to spread it out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I've never had a bad thing happen to me in Dublin, but I can still see that area's in and around the centre are absolute kips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I agree about mixed housing developments, that's the ideal really.

But I think it's difficult in a housing crisis with such of shortage of social housing and normal housing and so many homeless.

Ideally you wouldn't have 100% social housing, it'd be maybe 20 to 30%, with the rest cost rental and affordable etc. But where do you move the 70% social housing people to, there's no option. Maybe in time we'll have enough stock to tackle it properly.

Really NE inner City area should be very desirable place to live eg Sheriff St, Summerhill, Gardiner St but I wouldn't feel comfortable there and I'm a grown man.

I agree also that most of the deprivation has moved to the edge of the city like Finglas, Ballymun, Darndale, Cherry Orchard, Jobstown. I'm not sure is this better or worse. Out of sight, out of mind. It doesn't solve the root of the problem, just brushes it under the carpet.

The inner suburbs like Cabra, Crumlin, East Wall, Drimnagh, Inchicore etc are in the process of gentrification.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Why dont you go to japan and use that as a comparison?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Indo says arrest imminent

The feral scumbag and scum parents should be named and shamed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement