Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enough is enough? Dublin north inner city crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Well Spain was a fascist country until the 80's.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Reminds me of the prick who said “No thanks, I don’t have cancer” to a lady collecting for Daffodil Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Re the defensive comments. Plenty of them on Twitter, all deflecting and hardly any empathy with victim.

then you have idiots quoting this muppet.

“It wasn’t blokes in tracksuits that ruined this country, it was blokes in suits” - Emmet Kirwan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I know that, I said they “should” be named. If they are old enough to kick the **** out of innocent people they should be shamed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

He’s been arrested. Later on he’ll be bailed into the care of his parents, the parents who didn’t know or care where he was the other night when he was kicking ten bells out of a complete stranger in front of his local Garda station.

There’ll be a court case and his legal team will put any number of made up medical conditions ( have you all seen the Tiktok of a US teenager claiming discrimination because a prospective employer didn’t respond well at interview stage to her announcement that she needed “accommodations” shown to her in the work place because she suffers from “time blindness”) and sad circumstances in front of the judge, including “his grandad to whom he was very attached died” “he is attending local mental health services” and he’ll be sent on some kind of a course and we will all go back to accepting that this is perfectly normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Are the “unvetted” and “military aged” junkies though?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,717 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So a teenager arrested.

It shows the gardai can do something about a crime when they can be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I think the court can decide to name him if convicted and it decides it appropriate to do so, but that’s highly unlikely.

Personally I’d get rid of the juvenile diversion program for all arrestable offences. If a teenager seriously assaults someone, or burgles somebody’s home, they should be sentenced in the same way an adult would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

It’s just for show. He will be out back to criminality before long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

Steve looks like an oldschool musical man I feel bad for the fella. They seem to target the good uns

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babyducklings1

Seems the poor man who was attacked has Irish roots and was here to trace family , according to this article.

https://www.thejournal.ie/tourist-sister-6125551-Jul2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

doubtless the Gardaí probably knew within minutes of this going public who the culprits were. doubtless he's been through our "revolving door" justice system on at least 2 dozen occasions. a rap sheet is a badge of honour to these idiots. doubtless the judge soaked up all the defence solicitor bleeding heart excuses about coming from a dysfunctional family, and gave him a harsh warning before setting him free to continue terrorising innocent hardworking taxpaying citizens/visitors. doubtless he'll get a smack on the wrist if convicted.

• Where we need to come down very hard is on violent crime. It’s been let get out of control. There needs to be very serious consequences for assaults and they need to come in at the lower level because things escalate.

Also assault for the purposes of entertainment online - people beating people up for online video content should carry a minimum term, even for relatively minor stuff because it’s calculated and premeditated. That needs to be stamped out fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

the poor crayture is from a deprived area

he fell in with a "rough element" and was led astray

his uncle died 8 years ago and he's been struggling with that ever since

he has addiction issues

learning difficulties (never learned to read)

"unsettled" home life

wants to "do a course" and get back on track

18 months in oberstown, backdated, suspended, and any additional charges to run concurrently would be the harshest sentence, more likely a good behaviour bond and some other bs, justice is served.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They should all be charged with attempted murder, that’s what kicking their victims in the head is their aim

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭pauly58

There's only one way to get through to these delinquents & that's to make it very painful & to put the fear of God into them. Six strokes with a birch or cane, if they get into trouble again it will be double. I know it's against their human rights, I think they give up that when they beat up an innocent man.

A good article in The Times this morning, they sent a reporter into the area in question, never saw a single Garda & when they asked a doorman on a hotel he told them they won't. The Times made the point about how low the numbers of Gardai are, but just increasing the numbers to a visible presence would only work if these louts had some respect for the law, it's clear they have no respect at all.

Give them a glimpse of hell, they would soon learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Even when you look at house burglaries, car theft, muggings, etc.

There's an attitude there shur the person didn't get hurt and it's insured.

They never think of the inconvenience it causes to the person, cost, fear, etc.

Even down here lads stole a car in the city drove the wrong way down motorway and badly injured a woman.

Now the Gardai face an inquiry.

One of the thieves died and another badly injured.

TikTok is full of videos of how he was an angel and there's videos of them stealing cars and burning them out. It's all seen as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Yeah the birch and cane, just as well we never tried that approach before isn't it.

We can't go backward to go forward. We need more prisons built yes but alongside harnessing the kids in disadvantaged communities abilities and give them life goals. They need proper role models and i'm not talking about clowns like McGregor, Tubrity or the Kinihan's but business leaders/doctors/nurses etc...

Multiple studies have shown that early intervention is key and money pumped into that pays in the long term. It's also obvious to me as someone who lives in the area (and loves it) that a lot of these lads are very confident and outgoing much more than similar aged kids in well off areas. Many have no fear and that can be a huge advantage to them if they funnel that into a life goal instead of acting the maggot. I firmly believe a lot of them would make great Gardai for example, they have street smarts that would be a massive plus for the police force instead of some lad who's from the back end of Roscommon with a couple of years training put into Store Street knowing the square root of fcuk all about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Absolute scum who carried out the US Tourist attack, hope they lift all of his mates as well and detain them for 3 days questioning.

We need to build 2 prisons asap. Use the USC and our massive surplus to pay for it. Then fill them.

So then scrotes start to know... get arrested there's actually consequences. The Judges have nowhere to send them at the moment.

Get 20+ convictions, you should not be walking the streets. When the system does nothing to alter feral anti-social behavior they will continue doing crimes.

"Oh but they cant do anything if they're under 18"

If Under 18, haul in the parents, curfew teenagers after 8pm, install ankle bracelets. Parents unwilling or unable to change their siblings ... then take them into care and stop benefits.

They should pass a law making it an offence to hang around in large groups (of feral youths). Guards should just lift a few from random from the groups, detain for 8hrs+ get parents down to the station.

Helen McEntee and Drew Harris should be replaced due the complete lack of enforcement in the City Centre and allowing no-go areas because they have decided to do nothing and let the scrotes free run of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The 3 scummers who died on the N7 had 200 convictions between them.

The 26 year old lad had 62 convictions. SIXTY TWO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Under 18s should be tried and imprisoned as adults where violent crime is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I’m inclined to agree with you , do away with Oberstown and the special care units and bring back something similar to St Pats .

I know we can’t because EU law imprison under 18s however I grew up in the city centre, one of friends was an infamous joyrider when a judge told him in court , you’re going to St Pats or joining the army .

He joined the army serving 12 years , leaving and eventually getting a degree and settling down.

I do have reservations about putting these fuckers in the army to be babysat but it worked for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm sure the Ukrainian army could use them to clear minefields.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭baldbear

It's gas the way garda can make arrests when a tourist is assaulted, media pressure is put on or political pressure but if a ordinary local is assaulted no one gives a shoite.

Hope the poor man makes a full recovery and the scumbag gets dealt with properly (which won't happen due to his age or poor unfortunate upbringing)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The gardai can do their job and do, do the job however it's judiciary in this Country that continuously undermine the work they do by not giving these criminals the sentences they deserve.

Why would anyone want to be a garda when they see these criminals just laugh at them when a judges gives them another suspended sentence or bare minimum prison time as they walk out of a court room.

There’ll be a series of court dates in between each he will be remanded on bail (that’s started already this afternoon, he’s back in front of the judge on Tuesday ….when he’ll be bailed again till some date in late august while a “book of evidence” is compiled, and so on…and so forth) by the time October comes his solicitor will be telling the court that he’s about to become a father 🍼🍼🍼 and he’s in a serious relationship and has a lot of remorse….

The judge has to apply the law as it stands. He or she can’t go off on a solo run giving sentences that don’t have precedence etc. If you want more draconian laws you’ll have to threaten your TD

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Disagree. I'd wager the fella was identified the same day and they knew who he was. Media "pressure" has very little to do with it. Just so happens in this case, someone contacted a journalist about it.

There's no point then arresting him straight away and doing it wishy washy. Spend a while gathering even more evidence, more CCTV, more concrete things from an evidential perspective.

Then other times, things can be unsolvable, media pressure or not. The fact he was identified prob means the guards already knew him from previous dealings.

If I went out tomorrow, never been arrested before, glassed someone in a nightclub in a moment of madness and left straight away, it might be on CCTV but odds are, I'll never be identified. If the person who I glassed went to the media, I still wouldn't be identified. Did media pressure solve the abbey theatre attack?

Go over for a day to the courts and sit and watch all the cases that made it there without ever having been reported on in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

They're actually doing the opposite - looking at increasing the age of being treated as a juvenile to something like 26 (because their brains don't develop fully until then or similar shite). This has been done already in Scotland (another woke bastion) with predictable results - most notably a notorious recent case which saw a convicted rapist in his 20s walking free with a suspended sentence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement