Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another pest found in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Ak84

Funny enough I was just listening to the book, "the hidden life of trees", and the author reckons the above moth is not that big of a concern as they prefer solitary oaks in cities where it stays warmer in the evening from the large buildings.

The forests being a bit cooler are not their preferred spot.

I know it would be better not to have the bastards, but maybe it's not a worry for forest owners hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you find a clump/nest of them, do like the Dept. do.

Can of hairspray, and a lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭coolbeans

HAckett has responsibility for the forestry sector including the health of the forest estate.

Yet again, she has failed.

How much ass-licking do sycophants actually do? Is there no end? Wake up and see the forest for the trees.

What are you on about? Sycophants? Ass licking? Sounds like you're angry and with an axe to grind. Blaming her for a hairy caterpillar turning up is a little tenuous don't you think?

• Advertisement

Plant health is in her remit. She's paid enough so could tighten up in phytosanitary issues.

Axe to grind?Interesting choice of words considering the damage Hackett has deliberately inflicted on the forest industry since she came to power.

Seriously she;s the walking definition of blond bimbo where matters forestry are concerned.

There are no words to describe the damage that bitch has presided over.

From her own department which is investigating the matter.....

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Forestry has been a disaster in Ireland for decades. To lay it all at her feet is simplistic at best.

Please explain how it has been a disaster..

Hackett has ignored the best advice of experienced foresters and instead relied on the her technical foresters in the Forest Service, most of whom have no practial experience. These are the Forest Service Inspectors we never see at field days

because I'm quite sure they could not answer any technical questions.

Instead they send out older experienced foresters to represent the department.

HAckett has presided over the deliberate destruction of the industry since she came to office. If she had the best interests of forestry at heart she would hve implemented the McKinnon Report immediately and in its entirety. That report did not reflect well on the current technical leadership.

Confidence in the Forest Service is nil and it should be disbanded. Hackett should be fired. She's incapable of organizing the proverbial piss up in a brewery. Stop defending the indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You can’t blame the current government for this mess. We imported ash trees and see what happened.

we need a system like Australia where bio security is taken seriously.

Farmers imported bales of hay a few years ago and never mind what happened to be in them.

Look at all the food people bring in through the airport. A friend brought me fresh figs from Lanzarote and they were full of maggots when I cut through one. Actually burned the lot to be safe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

MOD NOTE, caveilaria could you tone down your posts a notch or two please? As already pointed out it’s hardly the minister’s fault that a new pest has arrived in the country.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

That's a matter of opinion. I happen to think it is her responsibility. 25 tree pests in the state since 2000. She's paid to look after forestry and across the board it ain't happening.

The bi**h word I'd happily remove. The frustration and anger that many of us feel at her inaction and promulgation of the destruction of an industry that so many of us fought so hard to build is hard to stomach.

Has somebody been in touch asking that I stop saying that the emperor has no clothes?

The worst minister for forestry in the history of the state. That's what her political legacy will be.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

DerDermot McAree , former Chief Inspector of the Forest Service was a plant health inspector before he became top dog. He routinely oversaw the burning of imported timber on the docks of Drogheda if he found so much as a piece of bark on it. That zealousness is no longer there. The forest service inspectorate, few of whom have any genuine interest in forestry sought a voluntary ban on the import of ash trees, rather than downing tools and striking until the then minister pulled the finger out. Ash dieback would eventually have come here. But how about the current imports of timber from the UK where the spruce bark beetle is now endemic? We import timber  from there because the current forest inspectorate, presided over by Hackett saddled us with a massive felling licence backlog. The blame falls on the shoulders of Chief Inspector Seamus Dunne and his fellow technical staff who have been defended to the hilt by asst secretaty Colm Hayes in front of a Dail committee in spite of the overwhelming evidence of their inability to do their jobs. It's the public service looking after its own to the detriment of the citizenry. Same crap happened to those women who died because of the cervical check coverup. When does it end? I stated Hackett is saddled with responsibility for forestry, and from its promotion to plant health she has failed. Are you a public service worker, because the concept of accountability appears to be alien to you? Her incompetence nor that of her technical staff would not be tolerated in the private sector.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Are you a public service worker, because the concept of accountability appears to be alien to you? Her incompetence nor that of her technical staff would not be tolerated in the private sector.

No. I reckon I hate the public service just as much as you. Full time farmer here. However you are sort of contradicting yourself now blaming Colm Dunne as well as the minister. Would it be possible that her hands are tied by those civil servants high up in the dept who probably have themselves convinced that they are answerable to no one.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Time to take on those public servants. Guess they are the ones who in the weeks before Leaving Cert quietly disappeared for a day or 2 to take the Junior X exam which was entry to the public service. They fact that they have been cocooned for their working lives in the civil service makes them unable to understand reality. Of course they take their cues from Robert Watt, the top civil servant who engineered a massive salary for himself, refused to appear before the PAC , and who secured a lucrative job for Tony Holohan in TCD, to be footed by €2 million of taxpayers money unilaterally ring-fenced by Watt. The other part is that the Greens demanded the forestry portfolio as a condition of them entering government-this I have from a senior govt player-and they will not relinquish it until they damage it beyond repair. Hackett is part of this deliberate destruction of an industry and livelihoods and costs the taxpayer millions in lost taxation and income as well as fines for failure to reduce carbon emissions.

Hackett is no innocent in this; she's ruthless and calculating and dangerous-ask Hazel Chu- and her constant simpering and smiling for the camera should fool nobody.

The most useless and destructive minister for forestry in the history of the state. She must assume responsibility for all that happens on her watch, and as a public figure is deserving of all and any invective and criticism that comes her way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I suppose that when the Asian Hornets come over the Irish Sea in the coming years that it will also be the minister's fault as the departmental fly-swatter wasn't in situ for the event??

YOu're a bit behind the times-that's been here since 2021.

Not aware how its arrival pertains to Hackett as it poses no direct risk to trees.

Stop acting like a drone and accept the horseshit and official lines fed to you and ask questions about accountability among top civil servants. From women in the Hep C scandal to cervical check women to kids thrown into homes and raped by religious, out public service is up to its neck in blood. Surely a little accountability is not too much to ask for? Hackett's sorry record in forestry is an indictment of her total inability to do the job required as well as an indictment of the Secretaty, Asst. Secretary and the technical foresters within the department who are either incompetent or too goddamned lazy to do their job or too scared to rock the boat.

Advertisement