Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Castlederg had over 2 inches of rain on Saturday, going by met Office extremes

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Quite a deluge in Raphoe, Donegal over the last twenty four hours, Seems localised though>

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭glitterIsland

I hate not being able to put a wash load out on the line to dry and we had enough of the rain over winter and spring. It would have been nice to get a longer spell of dry and warm to get the laundry out. I'm so sick of the clothes rails and airing racks everywhere around the home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Wife was in the same predicament couple of years ago. So we got a Clothsline Canopy set it up at on the wall outside which gets the most wind. We got 10ft and it would easy take full load of washing our machine is 9kg. Will post link below but it as been a God send no worries about showers or rain moving in when you are away, also clothes can be left out all night. Clothsline Canopy Ireland - Covered Clothsline Drying Solutions, Killarney, Co Kerry, Ireland (clotheslinecanopy.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

How in gods name is this July?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Did my morning run in the p!$$ing rain.

Sky sitting on the ground. Humid.

The grass is so high. It's loving this humid wet weather lol

15⁰ Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Met Éireann forecast for my location (South East Cork) is completely off this morning. Dry and partially cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Pouring down in N Kildare now again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Longing

Yes noticed that a way off and it only updated at 9.26am  Quote: However, it will continue wet in the south and east for much of the day with further heavy rain at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yeah, in the same way that in some Aprils and Mays the North West gets a month of better weather than us, the south is definitely having a much better July than anywhere else. Its not a nice July, there's plenty showers and less sun than you'd like, but nothing like what most are reporting on here. Even for the coming week, just looked at forecast on Met E l for Cork and East coast and it has far less rain down here and on average its 2 degrees warmer every day. Still not exactly beach weather though, only has it hitting 20s on one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I actually love this weather, I don't like warm sunny weather and what's happening in other parts of the world we are so lucky to live in this beautiful climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The growth over the past few days has been unreal. Perfect mix for grass and veggies. I hope to be able to cut the grass when it clears this evening.

Has anyone else noticed that the apples and blackberries seem to be ripening early this year? I have seen fully ripe blackberries in mid July which is odd. I guess it's down to the 5 weeks of sun during late May-June.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It's clumsily written is all. The band of rain will slowly push south today. Ergo when it clears the north and west ("Rain will clear to sunny spells in the north and west later in the afternoon"), it will still be raining further south and east for much of the remainder of the day as that's where the band will have moved. Shouldn't be too bad all the same compared to yesterday but the rain in the south will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dunsany had its wettest day yesterday since 2nd March 2018 (Storm Emma) with 40.3mm. Other synoptic stations weren't as noteworthy, Phoenix Park with 34.0mm had its wettest since only last September.

Think that Donegal deluge is its wettest since August 2017 when the county also had severe floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It should be sunny in the west and north and go from winter to summer in the next hour or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

what about the ‘summer’ of 1993? It isn’t remembered at all in the list of dire summers for some reason?

It was definitely as bad as ‘85, 86 and the ones between ‘07 and ‘12.

An interesting coincidence was the flooding on June 11 1993 exactly thirty years to the day of flooding in Dublin when something like 170mm fell in a few hours!

At least we got a decent June this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

1993 had "only" 265.7mm at Collooney, not a very wet summer but very cool, cloudy and unsettled. June mild nights and very wet in the east from that deluge you mention followed by a cloudy disappointing cool July with a strong cold front sinking southward on the 8th that introduced a northerly flow for the rest of the summer (or indeed year until of course you guessed it.. December). August was drier and sunny in the east - first sunny month of a very cloudy 1993 - but cold with very early air frost. Autumn 1993 was our last genuinely cold autumn.

Ireland should just have a list of worst summers and we can add nearly every summer each year to the list beacause even the so called best summers would be considered the worst by all other countries standards🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Re Rhodes, read this quote this morning in one of the papers:

“Eileen Lawton, her daughter Hannah Gormley and eight-year-old granddaughter Annabelle were also staying at the Princess Sun Hotel when it started to catch fire.

Their friend Glynis Wall said that hotel bosses evacuated, leaving guests to wait for rescue coaches which 'never turned up'.

'They said it was like images of a warzone,' Ms Wall said. 'Everyone around them was panicking. There were children and babies crying and mothers trying to protect them from the smoke.'

Holidaymaker Emma Marsh said: 'We are currently in Rhodes - we landed today only to be told that our hotel has burnt down. No one from the airline informed us before we flew.”

Bad situation and seems like people are being flown onto the island while it’s burning and unable to cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

cant remember a summer weeks weather like this past week actually depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes ,the grass growth has been incredible of late. The brown patches are a long and distant memory now. I have noticed that about the berries. I remember the days we used to pick them when we were growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Another dank dark overcast day. No words

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pity the weather is going to be crap for the All Ireland Final. Hopefully it will still be a good game though.

I think we will have to wait another hour or two...clearer weather just starting to reach the coast in the west and north now..should start to get sunny by 2 or 3 oclock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another beautiful day under my umbrella, 🌂 Ella, Ella, eh, eh, eh.

Actually I can't even use an umbrella today because of the wind, didn't think could be worse than yesterday but sidewards rain takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Rain has cleared. It started around 10/11 Friday morning. Rained all day non stop Friday, after midnight it cleared and was patchy and drizzly overnight until Saturday morning the next batch came in. Rained non stop since then until an 1 or 2 hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Still lashing here in NCD, Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I seem to remember some good summers over covid. And we were doing really well until July. Now it's just incredibly miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

I still maintain the weather had turned by June 20 I remember being in the airport that day and it was torrential rain. Plenty of thunderstorms etc and it was still mild but the weather had changed.

Advertisement