Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

In the nicest way possible, so what? You're free to agitate for whatever you want. Get as many people on board as you can and make it a reality.

If there is a significant movement of people, I'm comfortable enough assuming the majority will be of Arlene's type, not a taig about the place mentality who can't cope with the idea of democracy. I won't miss them.

Those who stay, I'm happy to make compromises and be part of making a state they're happy to live in.....anyone who is so offended by the idea of living in a United Ireland as to leave was probably the sort who wasn't a big fan of democracy to begin with.....you know, like the aforementioned Arlene who joined the DUP in protest of the GFA.

Unionism would be better served by trying to make the Union appealing than scare stories and whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Some of you questions are puzzling.

I completely understand that many Irish people see the whole island as part of the Irish nation. That’s a very reasonable point of view. I am part of the British nation and I believe that is also a very reasonable point of view.

st Patrick’s day means nothing to me and tbh I don’t know a single unionist who attends at Patrick’s day functions. It looks like a very alien environment - I guess a bit like you attending an event celebrating Britishness and everyone dressed in rw&b and waving union flags. Again I think it’s absolutely to be admired that Irish people celebrate their identity that day.

the bit about Scot’s and Scottish. I see that exactly the same as me referring to myself as northern Irish.

I agree that me living in a Ui is a bit like a remain voter living in an independent Scotland.

I am honestly not disagreeing with you on much of this.

Not at all. Unless you are saying that that a vote for the union is the people of NI saying they don’t want devolution or autonomy for ni in Uk. You can’t have it both ways.

a vote for a Ui is simply that, a vote for a Ui. It is not determining what that Ui will look like.

• Advertisement

The GFA doesn't have a Unionist veto over Unification, Downcow.

I wasn’t suggesting people will leave ni. I was suggesting there will be another big movement of people internally.

I lived in a nationalist area throughout the conflict. I will not continue to live here in a Ui. I can only see the greening and pressure getting greater on my community in predominantly nationalist areas. I imagine I will move 10 miles 20 miles to a predominantly unionist area where I can be comfortable in my identity.

my guess is that large numbers like me would do the same. In ni unionist areas will get more unionist and nationalist areas will get more nationalist.

I have zero doubt that we will organise ourselves to ensure our identity continues to grow and is very visible. I would see marching band culture growing further etc etc.

a future Ui government would have no choice but to be extremely sensitive in dealing with our communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Ignacius

Why did the unionists in the 1920’s want to create Northern Ireland? I think the reasons for that were a lot more sinister. They wanted to create a majority unionist government. This is why they chose only 6 counties. As previously stated, this is a failed state now.

Do you think they soul searched and came up with valid reasons for this? No! The reason for a United ireland for us is very emotive. It was written into our constitution at the inception of our State. It makes sense pragmatically now and I’m sure the majority of the British would fully support this.

it is very simple. Democracy and demographics is why there will be a United ireland. Trying to integrate the unionist community to the new country would be priority number one.

If there is a vote and it is for a united. Ireland, people may leave but no violence and the prosperity of the island would be more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Regarding paragraph one. It is not a case of seeing it is factual that the irish nation comes from or based on having some connection to Ireland. I would point out a nation is a group of people of common culture not a territory of land. A person who's national identity is irish from Cork is no more or less irish than someones whos national identity is irish from Down. As discussed yesterday the national identity "irish only" will be the highest national identity in the next census of the OWC.

Regarding paragraph 2. I bring up Patrick to show how stupid the "I am not irish i am British" binary line is. There is no national patron saint of the British. This is where the nation of nations comes in. Even under british tradition people from Ireland are irish aswell hence why the 17th March is the OWC national holiday. Again have you ever herd of a Scot saying they're not Scottish, they're just British. This happens here because of the sectarian environment that arrived after partition.

A unionist going to a St.Patricks day event is not the same as me going to a British event. St. Patrick is the national patron of all the people from Ireland including unionists and is celebrated by the church of Ireland. I am not British so me going to a exclusive British is not equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Very bizarre and sectarian post. Do you think people are suddenly going to change after a jurisdiction change? Lots of people from the UK live in the south. Do you think their neighbours care.

Apologies. What I meant is that people can jump up and down all the like but they can not have a Ui until the people of ni are convinced that is in their best interests

Who has suggested otherwise? Precisely zero people on this thread are arguing for Unification without the consent of the people of NI.

In fact the only arguments put forth that would ignore the wishes of the people of NI are those arguing for supermajorities and other such things to falsely preserve your Union even if the majority of people in NI don't wish to do so.

Apologies that you think that sounds horrible. Let me give some context.  

I have lived all my life in an area which republicans have dominated.  For me that has been 30 years of violence and intimidation by republicans to get our identity (us) to go away, followed by 25 years of same thing without the direct physical violence.  I am rural farming community and we were the only unionists to stay around; the rest moved to towns and villages they perceived as out of reach of republicans and safer.  I know their stories and I support their decisions. My parents encouraged me to move when I had come of age, but supported my decision to stay when they saw it was made. I also understand my parents desire, as eg the routine when I was a kid was if there was a knock on the door after dark, we all went upstairs, my dad got the shotgun loaded and my mum edged the window open and that’s how communication took place.

I can deal with all the **** ok and quality of life is good. The most difficult things though have been when authority decides that nationalism is in control and flexes its muscles.  eg when republicans couldn’t prevent our culture being displayed through threat and violence, they got the parades commission to do it. 

I have always regarded this as my area, my town and proud to live here, but that has changed somewhat in the last year or two.  Our council is rolling out Irish language signage across mixed areas. It is causing serious community disharmony and I said recently to someone that this is the first time in my life that I feel not wanted by authorities in my area.  We still have, Irish tricolours, Starry Ploughs etc flying, Tiocfaidh ár lá and KAH (kill all huns) etc written on walls, and we get the low level crap of kids having to be steetwise on buses etc where they are heavily outnumbered, but the huge difference is that in our minds that it is a minority of republicans - the Ira-types forced to move to other tactics. But when you have that **** and then you have authority (which should be non-partisan) lining up beside the bullies, then it gets into your head more.

bottom line is, I wouldn’t head into a Ui living in a republican area, not a chance. Not doing that again.

Transforming to a Ui and losing much of what is precious to us will have to be taken on the chin - but it is inevitable that that very process will heighten our sense of difference and we will move to areas where we can openly be what we want. I’ve never flown a flag from my house, been in a band, OO, etc. I would expect that all to change if we were forced into a Ui.

I am trying not to be offensive with how I write this

If any community in the world gets suppressed or feels threatened and feels alienated from those in power, what happens? Black, Asian etc in London. They are inclined to focus in ghettos for both cultural and security reasons. Why would it be any different in ni

Both communities in ni have created this difficult situation. I don’t fear it because I very much doubt there will ever be a Ui and they type of Ui may mitigate against some of the above.

I agree with you. We have two peoples (and others) sharing a country but contesting its status.

I don’t think huge numbers will leave ni. I guess there will be a brain drain of those that can easily leave but not significant numbers

You are very stuck in your thinking.

I am not Irish. You can wish me to be Irish all you want it won’t change it. I am northern Irish, British, European, white, male, Protestant, Presbyterian, etc etc, but I am not Irish. My passport says I am British, the UN accept I am British. Every nation in the world I visit regards me as British. I feel British.

what bit of this do you not understand.

my next door neighbour can legitimately say all the same stuff re being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The brain drain because NI has failed them has being happening a long time.

about two-thirds of Northern Ireland’s graduates continued to live away from home after finishing their studies, a marked contrast to trends in the Republic of Ireland, where university-leavers and the diaspora tend to return.

Northern Ireland battles brain drain of graduates | Financial Times (ft.com)

Re st pats day

again I think you don’t understand the cultural differences. It may be a religious thing, but I don’t know any Protestants who are bothered about st Patrick’s day, other than the orange order. They hold a few poorly attended parades. The Royal Irish also have an event but it comes and goes.

it is only very recently a public holiday. In my workplace the majority don’t take it. Several nationalists are more likely to take the next day as they recover from an enjoyable night partying.

in a sense it’s a bit like the twelfth ie one community celebrates it and the other hardly notices it. That’s not to suggest anyone is anti it, it just is a non event.

I actually don’t know if Scotland, England or wales make a big deal of their Saints day. I guess st Patrick’s day is huge because Ireland is a very religious country historically

Very bizarre that you don’t know that ni is a contested area. It’s not England or Ireland which have been relatively settled for generations. What is sectarian about my post?

I was responding to what I thought was a suggestion that Ui was coming whether or not. My answer was clumsy. I am pointing out that the gfa gave the ni population have a veto on this and there is no likely scenario of that veto being in favour of leaving the Uk. Roi also have a veto.

• Advertisement

The push to maintain 'devolution'/'autonomy' is another attempt to hold on to Unionist control/power.

Devolution has never worked for all the people of NI and isn't working now because Unionism cannot effect it's veto anymore or get it's way.

In the event that Unification should occur, the majority of the NI population would self evidently not be Unionist, so devolution couldn't possibly hold onto control/power for Unionism. A devolved NI or a federal solution built around the 4 provinces as floated by some doesn't have to be built in the same flawed way that the current NI devolved government is. A devolved government isn't inherently unworkable.

I find the idea that there won't at least be a period of devolution post Unification to be pretty unlikely.

I don't think some in Unionism are interested in the form of devolution you outline though.

They want to continue to do what they are doing now i.e. a default veto - walk away from devolution and effectively hold up governance.

They know that won't work in a centralised government of a UI, so they cling to the notion that they could still be in control if they can maintain a devolved set-up.

Look at the claim that Unionists would withdraw geographically to specific areas. It's all part of undemocratic notions of maintaining control and the withdrawing of support for what the majority decide to do.

The claim of one person, Francie. Downcow doesn't speak on behalf of all Unionism.

Some in Unionism may not be interested, so what? You can't please all the people all the time as they say. There is a cohort who will be unhappy regardless, but we should still make efforts to minimise the size of that cohort with reasonable, magnanimous compromise.

There is compromise and then there is appeasement.

I see no benefits to continuing devolution. It has failed, and it has failed because of the statelets original design.

I think we would be better looking at devolution in 20/30 years after a period of properly normalising politics via centralised government.

Strategically Unionism would be better off building alliances with political parties here ahead of unification and it cannot hurt them if a UI doesn't happen. This had begun with FG and the DUP but aborted rather bitterly with the Protocol. I think Doug Beattie would be very open to it.

We would be a minority so that’s nonsense. Is it an attempt to hold on to the northern Irish culture/identity/etc. yes probably, but you should fear that

How would it help in holding onto NI culture and identity?

None of your post is true. It would be up to the majority nationalist population to demonstrate that we could have our culture and identity and live among you and that you won’t abuse your power. But it would require fairly urgent reaching out before a movement began. I have zero faith that the attitudes of republicans in my area would change overnight.

And fionn is absolutely right. I only speak for myself and attempt to reflect the views of unionists I know personally.

im curious, do you blame many of the ethnic groups on England for clustering? Could English people have done more 50 years ago to prevent that happening? You would have a great chance in a new Ui to reach out and minimise movement- my thought is you wouldn’t. My thought is that republicans would be more interested in flag waving cavalcades to rub unionists nose in it.

the challenge will be yours. It won’t be our country, we’ll just be living in it. You will have won and got you country. I think the onus is on you to go the extra mile and make it work. Unfortunately for you, I doubt if many unionists will care if it works. We will, in our eyes, just have lost. I don’t think many will leave immediately, but we do have that fairly easy fallback position.

So how will devolution help you to 'hold on to the northern Irish culture/identity/etc.'

You haven't even begun to explain this.

P.S. Here is the 'withdrawal, if we don't get our way' mentality expressed again:

It won’t be our country, we’ll just be living in it.

• Advertisement

Francie I completely understand why many nationalists didn’t regard the ni pre 1980s as not their country. I think we have now a situation where the vast majority of residents, both unionists and nationalists feel it is our country. Unfortunately a Ui will put unionists where nationalists were pre 1980 (approx)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement