Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drain Pipe Loose

Options
  • 23-07-2023 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

See the picture attached.

Basically looks like the pipe for the gutter drain has disconnected a bit.

It's a new build house which we are in a few months. Builders still on site so I'll be trying to get them to sort. Presuming it's due to the house settling?

Just wondering if it can do any damage to the foundation or would something like that take years?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Looks like a botch job. Pipe cut or left to short then the hopper just concreted in above it rather than bothering to extend the pipe.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks for the reply. Fixable? Won't do long term damage if sorted soon?

Doubt it will do any damage at all. Water is below the damp proof course of the house so can't affect the walls further up.

Fixing it properly might mean digging the concrete path out a bit because you need to cut the pipe that's there a bit lower to have room for a joiner and another bit of pipe.

Ok thanks. Glad to know it shouldn't do any damage. Same with concrete foundation, shouldn't do any damage there?

I'll try to hassle the builders to sort as they are still on site and I'd prefer it sorted. Something similar happened to one of the drains at the back (the one in the pic is at the side) when we first moved in and like you said the builders had to dig up the concrete patio to get at it then re-concrete it, so probably will have to do the same again with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,899 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The whole point of the drain is to take roof water away from the house.

Best to get the builders to rectify it.

If you were ever selling it could come up on a snagging list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Over time it will cause the clay/soil and small grained sands to wash out of the surrounding soils, that could cause further issues as the pipe then falls away as the support erodes.

Thanks all. Will push the builders to sort.

Hi again all. Just an update on this and a further question.

So I've been pushing the builders to sort the last few weeks. They finally came Friday afternoon and dug the concrete path slightly to be able to take the hopper out.

They said they would come back on Monday to finish it and fix it fully.

But I was looking at it earlier and I didn't like what I saw. The concrete is a bit wet and coming apart a little when you push at it. There was a lot of rain yesterday so maybe that's all it is and it won't do any harm? (There are lots of houses under construction in the estate currently as we are the first phase and their foundations are exposed so hoping it's ok).

Anyway see the photo - am I worrying over nothing and the builders will sort fully Monday? Does it look ok and will be ok once sorted?

Thanks in advance.

Can't see how that will sort it out? The pipe isn't long enough so it needs replacing, extending or the hopper putting in lower.

Apologies - not exactly sure how they will fix it, they just came late Friday to open it up and check it then said they would come back Monday to finish it off. I presume they will hopefully do one of the solutions you mentioned as I can't see how it will be sorted otherwise.

Just wondering has the water that has got at the brickwork at the external wall been affected or if it will be ok? (don't think it's the foundation looking at it again as it is too high up, the brick work in the picture would be just below where the floor is in the house location wise, if you get what I mean). As in should I be asking them to look at that also?

• Advertisement

That gap is just where the concrete didn't flow in behind the gully. I'd expect that they probably won't backfill it, it shouldn't be needed as the water should be confined to the gully even without concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

The opinion above is wrong. You are assuming the damp course will stop water coming into your floor/subfloor and inner wall like it did in my case. Caused by exactly the same as you have showed in your photo. Huge amount of rain water eventually soaked into the wall leaving damp plaster inside. I spent much of this summer rectifying the issue in my spare time. Breaking up the footpath, checking for damp course which was not installed correctly. Breaking up the drain and re fitting. Do not just leave it and hope for the best, you don't want the **** show down the line that I'm having now

Thanks. I agree. Want it sorted fully. The builders who are still on site came to look on Friday to be fair. Then they had to get the grounds workers over to look but it was after getting late so they said they would call over today (hopefully - will probably have to chase again) to sort it. Hoping they sort it fully this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Alot of conflicting opinions here.

In my opinion as an Engineer who does House surveys for a living, that defect should certainly be picked up on any Survey you had done initially. If you are saying that this has only now happened, it is very worrying but I very much doubt that is the case, more likely just thrown together originally.

Everything else being right with the structure, that should have little long term effect on anything. Ground around that gully is entitled to be saturated but ideally you wouldn't want ponding of water against the dwelling structure at any level and it is true that in the super long term it could wash out fines around pipework etc but overall its a minor defect.

The builders are on it so I wouldn't worry unless that pipe has moved since install. If that has happened, I'd be having a thorough inspection of the drains and having falls checked etc.

In my defense, concrete isn't waterproof and you'll always have some moisture/dampness transferring through it, but also that point shown in the photo should be below the DPC so should therefore provide protection. Also don't forget that the concrete path isn't sealed against the block and it's also not likely to have been rendered below that point, so you'll still get intrusion of water at that point on the block.

Anyway, the better solution for all would be for the render and concrete to be complete around the gully, so if that's the least you'll accept then let the builder know and I'm sure he'll comply.

Thanks for the comment. The snag report regarding drains just said they should be cleaned out, didn't mention anything like what is in the pictures I posted. I got the house snagged and resnagged then did a check myself. Then after I closed I noted a few other things that never showed up in the snag but to be fair the builders did tend to whatever I mentioned quite quickly after closing, and I suppose they are also going to sort this too.

Just I am worried it is a major issue and will cause issues down the line. I don't think I ever saw any water pooling near the house even during the heavy rains over the summer. Maybe a very small one on the patio but definitely not pooling, more one or two small puddles on the patio and not near the actual side of the house.

I know if it is a major issue or causes issues we have 10 year home bond and house insurance and can even sue under the contract, but trying to do all that in reality would be an absolute pain and cost time and money so hopefully the builders rectify correctly this week.

I did ask the builders would it be from the house settling and they said no and if it was they would be worried, they just reckoned the pipe came loose from the gully and wasn't installed correctly at the start.

I posted a few months ago on here about a week after closing where under the window sill to the main bathroom the concrete came apart and this was not spotted in a snag and the builders sorted right away once I mentioned it to them.

Everyone keeps telling me it's common for new builds to show up issues for many months after and just hound the builders if they are on site to sort, but I find it incredibly annoying and naively assuming a new build would be close to 100%.

Also snag reports for new builds seem to be mostly cosmetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Yup. Most decent builders will sort it without any drama. Just speaking rom experience after I found our drain was damaged causing a fair bit of work for me. Thankfully something I can do myself but it would cost thousands to get outside help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

A simple enough fix using one of these;

You might have to re-align the hopper though.

Advertisement