Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• These sort of people are often far from the false online persona they present and are foundering. They post stuff describing the person they wish they were. There’s a big cohort of Walter Mitty fantasists in online forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Tubridy seems like one of those people who have bookshelves full of books they have never read. A typical book can have between 200 and 400 pages. The time people have to read can be quite limited so it would take a while to get through a book. It might be easier to get some researcher to provide a synopsis rather than having to read all those books himself. I think that RTE had a late-night Arts programme (John Kelly may have been the presenter) a long time ago and it had writers and reviewers talking about books. Their enthusiasm was obvious. It was quite different to Tubridy's need to be considered intellectual.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Are you uncomfortable because you have been found out? Others such as @ButtersSuki have had to deal with a lot more than you have, I was nearly doxxed earlier this year and I was threatened in this thread around a week ago . And guess what? None of that has stopped me posting on here.

As for your political affiliations they remind me of one of my favourite Screwball comedies, What's up Doc?

Things will never change as long as some of the usual suspects are still in RTE.

Answers on a postcard to NKM ahem oops I meant CMS.

• Advertisement

• Ecosystem used to describe earth’s natural cycles & patterns, it has been hijacked adopted by business and tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

True 'public service broadcasting' is always going to lose money, in a country the size of Ireland anyway. A genuinely free market in broadcasting would never generate a service like TG4 in a million years. The whole idea of funding RTE entirely through taxation would be to remove it from the world of profits and losses altogether, and free the Newstalks and Today FMs to compete in a genuinely free market, without the pitch being queered by the public-private hybrid behemoth that is RTE in its current form.

Yep. Most of the time they are harmless. It is when people start taking them seriously that problems arise. With RTE, it seems that there's a high Walter Mitty concentration in management.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

But that won't happen. For that model to work, then RTE would have to dispense with all advertising to stop them effecting the advertisement rates for the competition.

The issues are the sheer waste of money without any checks and balances and that won't change regardless of funding model without a serious overhaul of publicly funded corporate structures. Accountability to their "shareholders" who are the taxpayer's.

RTE's hybrid model is responsible for a dysfunctional market. With such a market, RTE is insulated from reality because there are no penalties for failure. The PAC/Media hearings were a rude awakening for RTE hence the resignations and retirements.

The nearest thing to a free market in terms of broadcast was the Pirate Radio market before Burke and FF ruined it. Small towns supported two or three radio stations. While TG4 is TV, a free market for TV might have easily produced something like it. However, TG4 is also a public service broadcaster initiative. When some of the radio pirates tried to set up pirate TV stations, the P&T and the Gardai were very quick to shut them down.

RTE as a public service broadcaster might work but it would need funding and a lot of its current employees might be out of a job. The imposition of Burke and FF's radio licence model made it far more difficult to have a free market in radio and cross-media ownership was a major problem for Ireland until, ironically, the free market took care of most of it. The future for RTE could be Digital because it has a lot of archive material that could be monetised with a reliable streaming platform. There may be rights issues to be sorted out though. RTE needs to be broken up if it is to have a future.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Not sure how “I’ve been found out”. I just feel deeply uncomfortable all of a sudden as I get the feeling there’s a cohort of posters who would obsessively stalk you online if they knew who you were. Not comfortable with that at all. Simply for having a slightly different opinion about a minor story.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't see why not. With current levels of tax returns, RTE's combined income from advertising and the licence fee could easily be replicated, and indeed doubled, via exhequer funding and the impact would barely be felt on the taxation side.

The big advantage of this approach from the point of view of the political system is that joe public would stop caring about this stuff

sheer waste of money without any checks and balances and that won't change regardless of funding model without a serious overhaul of publicly funded corporate structures. 

once the tangible link to RTE funding through the licence fee is abolished.

Why would they stalk you online?

Well when I mean found out, I am talking about when state something which is then proven not to be true. When this happens you hide away for a few days and then start posting again.

At least Ryan buried the idea that if the talent wasn’t paid well they would be poached when he literally said “I have nothing else”😂

That's a good reason to not have him back. If nobody else wants him then his talent is very limited.

Would love to see him reading out the death notices on local radio.

They currently get €200m and want €500m. That's not an insignificant amount of money to waste. If they were 100% funded by the state, the hand would still be out wanting even more. As long as a culture of wasting money exists, then it would only get worse with even more money. We have a commercial station (virgin media) for a direct comparison of pay rates and costs. The rte board and staff need to be brought into reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Different opinion? My issue was that you were telling lies. I know now that I was 100% correct C-Suite. Your defence was telling. I have no intention to stalk you. Boards is my only social media. Time to stop the 'pick me' act Doc. And yes, you were found out...Mistruths you might call them 😂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

What lies was I telling, dude? This thread is not about me, and I’d like if some of you were to calm down a little. Troublesome vibes starting to emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• nobody would be @rsed about you or anyone except that you actively insult posters here. Having a different opinion is not the issue at all, it’s how you proffer the opinion. But I guess you want to get noticed, but that’s on you.

Those troublesome vibes are an excuse to stop posting on here as we can see and smell your BS from a mile away. I am all for people having an opposing view but when that opposing view is proven to be wrong, hold your hands, say you got it wrong and move on. Instead you double down on your views even though you know they are wrong. It's as if you are on here to discredit anti government/RTE views.

On another note RTE has not read the room right as regards RTEgate as Marty is commentating on the All Ireland Hurling Final.

• Joe Duffy has a Trinity degree but modesty forbids that he disclose it much.

Yep a degree in Social Work, which might be why his modesty forbids that he disclose this.

All it shows to me is any degree you might have from a top University will get you a job in RTE.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Marty is part and parcel of the GAA. He was always going to commentate on the All Ireland and so he should. His car deal is a seperate issue. All that is owed there is BIK to revenue.

Until his BIK is sorted he should not be on the airwaves or tv.

• Revenue don’t appreciate undeclared stuff, and punish you. Don’t know anything about Marty’s tax declarations at all, but it’s more than interest owed if anything is owed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

That would certainly be an improvement - an RTE that is purely public service broadcasting. I would see RTE much smaller than it currently is in this instance. On the downside there would still be the issue of a subsidized player in the TV market among commercial outfits.

An alternative might be to recognize that RTE, when you look at the schedules, is primarily a commercial organization albeit with significant subsidy and a certain level of public service mandate. As such, make it fully commercial and phase out all direct subsidy over time.

With the saving on direct subsidy, separately invest in Irish produced content and make that available to all competing stations including (but not limited to) RTE on an equitable basis. In this way, RTE and other companies can pay what they want to their exectives, have junkets to attract advertisers and so forth, but if they overspend and put themselves in financial difficulty they must sort it out on their own; they can't expect a bailout from the State as RTE are about to get shortly.

Most of the other solutions involve "fixing" RTE: change the management; give them more subsidy; remove the means that people can legally avoid paying them; limit salaries etc. But none of these make fundamental changes to the broadcasting landscape. They are all about getting things back to normal as quickly as possible so that the same problems can arise again in a few year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement