Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as they did not force you to reduce your speed or take evasive action (to avoid a collison)

you can quite clearly see the cyclist in the video changed position as a result of the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

No, you did not force him to do anything. I'm simply stating that by not cycling in the cycle lane, you bear some of the responsibility for this situation arising. The government spends quite a bit of taxpayers money on building and maintaining cycle lanes, and if cyclists refuse to use them, then it's hardly fair to complain about close interactions with motorists. Again, I did not address section 10(2)(a) because it's not relevant to a thread about cyclists and therefore OT.

Assuming you are correct regarding speed/position (which I did not observe in the video) then the motorist violated section 10(1).

Regarding the RTA, this is not written into the legislation but is considered by AGS to be the most fair and objective measure of cyclist endangerment. If a cyclist maintains their line, does not reduce their speed and there is no collision/contact then they were never in danger, or so the thinking goes.

Both. I commute by bike to and from work whenever I am in up in Dublin, and use my bike for other errands as it beats travelling by car unless I have passengers. Cycling infrastructure has improved so much in the last five years that there are bike lanes most places I go. Yes there are occasionally deliver vans etc blocking bike lanes, but with proper hand signalling and checking the relative speed of cars, I am generally able to pass them safely. Proper hand signalling also means that motorists can't use the "cyclist appeared out of nowhere" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I'll say it again. Cyclists are part of traffic, not obstructions to it. A cyclist bears no responsibility for the actions of a driver overtaking, any more than another car, or a bus, or a tractor, or any other vehicle in traffic. There is no obligation whatsoever to use a cycling lane.

As regards your cycling bikes in Dublin, at what point would you have left the cycling lane in that situation?

Hand signals are grand, but being in the sight line of drivers in your lane is safer than switching lanes. The cyclist in the video above passed the illegally parked car safely. The driver who overtook him did not do so safely

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

So you can't cite anywhere in the RTA, or indeed anywhere else, where you got those statements from (aside from 'Trust me bro, this is what AGS do' which isn't exactly a strong argument).

As an experienced cyclist yourself, can you walk me through how you would have approached the situation? Where would you have pulled out of the cycle lane? Where would you have pulled into the cycle lane? How much clearance would you have given the parked vehicles when passing?

The government could spend a billion euro on that one cycle lane, and if people still park illegally in it, I'm going to leave the cycle lane in order to get around the obstruction, and I'm also going to do it in plenty of time to avoid any sort of "cyclist came out of nowhere" excuses. Weaving in and out of the cycle lane at the last second is a far more dangerous approach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ooh, i'd forgotten about that. that's a corker of an OP in that thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Motor tax threads are always funny considering the majority of cyclists here own a car. Quite a lot of them own nice cars too and several grands worth of multiple bikes and when you consider the aero carbon bikes or ebikes that a lot of people have you're talking a significant contribution of VAT that would more than make up for any tax.

I've paid nearly €2,000 in VAT on the bikes and wheels currently in my house. That would be worth 20 years of EV motor tax!

If anyone needs to pay tax it's the trucks, buses and campervans all on a €300 odd rate but I wonder if they know that...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Here’s a quote for aforementioned OP:

”If cyclists want to cycle on main roads in rural Ireland, then they should pay for greenways for this purpose.

Until then, they're a nuisance and a menace. So cyclists really have no arguments against mandatory insurance either.”

I guess they won’t be convinced by logic or the RTA here…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

But did you not see that they "commute by bike to and from work whenever I am in up in Dublin, and use my bike for other errands as it beats travelling by car unless I have passengers."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@Sono Topolino "Regarding the RTA, this is not written into the legislation but is considered by AGS to be the most fair and objective measure of cyclist endangerment. If a cyclist maintains their line, does not reduce their speed and there is no collision/contact then they were never in danger, or so the thinking goes."

That's not the AGS interpretation in my experience, thankfully. I've had them accept multiple videos I've submitted for FCN penalties for overtaking me on a blind bend. I don't slow down or take evasive action, and the Gardai I've reported these incidents to accept that the danger arises because the overtaking driver is gambling that they won't meet another vehicle coming around the bend towards them, that would force them to make a choice between hitting the oncoming vehicle or sharply pulling back in left and hitting me.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I’m not a racist, some of my best friends….etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have had a similar discussion with tourists in my area recently who all seem to think that because they didn't meet a car as they overtook my on a blind bend, then the manoeuvre wasn't dangerous. One nearly did and hadn't realised that I had actually hit my brakes as soon as they started as I could actually hear the farm machinery. If it had been a car, I probably would not have heard and it probably would have been going faster. This idea that because nothing bad happens it must be OK is a bizarre one.

@Sono Topolino just because a crash didn't happen doesn't mean a fine or prosecution won't take place, all it really means is that if you don't have it on video it is very much a you said/they said scenario. A great reason for all motorists and cyclists to have cameras where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Try cycling through Ranelagh.

I've nearly been taken out of it,

Motorists come shooting out of side roads. The cycle lanes have cars parked along them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The cycle lane that had a parked taxi and another parked car creating an obstruction. both illegally on double yellows too. Driver then went into a mandatory cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nearly 4 years now but it's worth a shot, it's not like the cameras are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I honestly think that in the example above the cyclist had ample opportunity to move left, let the car behind pass, then move right to pass the parked vehicle. I think the cyclist correctly took the lane when overtaking parked vehicles but missed an opportunity to share the road when cycling between the two parked vehicles - especially when the distance between the two parked vehicles is considered.

It more looks (to me) like he has issues controlling his vehicle, it could be what you said, neither are good

Not unless the car started to speed up dramatically. The car didn't change speed much and overtook while the cyclist was going around the parked vehicle at 15 seconds. You might have a point if it happened after the 2nd car parked in the cycle lane where the poster had ample time to pull in but in this video there was only a few seconds before the next vehicle.

If it was me, the next car is a few seconds up the road so I'm not pulling in to get pinched by passing traffic, it would be dangerous to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You're right the cyclist should have looked back, seen that there was only one car coming behind him, calculated that vehicle's speed of approach and the likelihood of another vehicle arriving behind that one, then calculated their own speed and distance as they approached the obstacle, and gambled that they wouldn't have got stuck behind the car parked in the cycle lane, so as not to delay that important motorist by so many seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe. I'm giving my opinion based on what the video shows but the reality may have been somewhat different so the benefit of doubt applies. Irrespective of what actions the cyclist should or could have taken, the onus is on the vehicle behind to play it safe. The driver could have handled it better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you've been cycling for a few years you know that if you pull in after the first car you're likely to get stuck behind the second waiting for traffic to pass. The second car is close enough so you might as well stay out. It's not like you're doing anything wrong by doing that just making your life a bit easier, why should a cyclist have to do anything different just to make the motorists life easier? It's not like they're holding traffic up doing 10kph up Alp d'Huez. Do you really need to pull it so a car doesn't have to fully move over to pass? Do you need to wipe the motorists arse too?

• Advertisement

the cyclist passed the second car three seconds after the motorist passed him. and would probably have been pulling back out anyway at that point had he opted to briefly enter the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I call custard on your claim to ever actually cycle @Sono Topolino

Nobody who hates cyclists enough to cycle through ALL the old tropes could actually be a cyclist themselves.

Person in a car is my suspicion.

Post edited by CramCycle on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What’s your source please for the specific claim about the reason for not including the 1.5 m distance in legislation, “because the legislature considers it (for now at least) to be unrealistic”?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Overtaking on a blind bend is dangerous driving, regardless of whether the motorist is overtaking a cyclist or a car, so this isn't a good example. There is no legal "minimum passing distance" for cyclists - you are simply required not to endanger them.

There was very public row about this a few years ago when Shane Ross tried to introduce legislation about it - surely you remember?

This is expressly recommended in the RSA's "rules of the road". The slower vehicle should keep left to give the faster vehicle an opportunity to pass safely. Given that everyone here is of the opinion that cyclists are part of the traffic, then they should at least honour the spirit of the rules of the road.

I live in Rathmines and cycle through Ranelagh quite regularly. It's not too difficult, provided you wear high visibility clothing (especially in the early mornings and evenings) maintain awareness of your environment, signal your intention frequently and do not mind getting stuck behind cars/vans/busses for a few minutes at a time. Problems arise when you try to be a smart arse and get ahead quickly, thus putting your neck on the line. The speed limit in Ranelagh and Rathmines is 30kph/50kph depending which "end" you are on, so it's easier to gauge driver intentions than out in Galway county, for example.

So you lose 30 seconds to a minute of your day. Isn't this exactly the kind of thinking cyclists accuse "obnoxious" drivers of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Jesus. Can't say wearing hi viz has ever - not even once - helped my pedal my bike. How does hi viz stop you from getting pinched by parked cars? "try to be a smart arse" ... "trying to get ahead quickly"... "putting your neck on the line"... your mask has well and truly slipped. It's not that hard to drive considerately. You're not that important that you need to "get ahead quickly". And in most cases, the only ones putting cyclists necks on the line are drivers from the categories of 'clueless', 'aggressive', 'selfish' and 'sorry I've just got to read this WhatsApp'.

There is absolutely no way that the cyclist in that clip should have pulled in to the cycle lane as it is absolutely clear from the footage that his instincts about the driver behind were spot on - he'd have been forced to brake due to the other clown of a driver that sees cycles lanes as fair game for dumping their car and the one behind who just couldn't care less about anyone else on the road. What was the driver's rush to "get ahead quickly" - why did he have to be such a smart arse? Could he not just have waited for a few more seconds and overtaken when the cyclist had moved into the clear bike lane or there was no oncoming traffic?

Your attitude is typical of so many motorists - where you have two road users, the cyclist should always inconvenience themselves so that the motorist can be less inconvenienced.

As for "I'm simply stating that by not cycling in the cycle lane, you bear some of the responsibility for this situation arising" ... thankfully that prehistoric attitude of "you bear some responsibility for being a victim due to the clothes you were wearing" has been well debunked over the past few decades by more enlightened members of the judiciary. Absolutely no different here. Cyclist did absolutely nothing wrong, was not legally required to use the cycle lane, the cycle lane had vehicles parked in it, there was very little traffic behind him and he was moving at a decent clip in a relatively low speed-limited area.

The reason given at the time was Gardai claimed it would be difficult to measure accurately and would lead to issues in court. Now while this was shown to be untrue, government decided to abandon the strict legislation on this point. It was well documented, had nothing to do with the width of roads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You're taking a very tight interpretation while ignoring another. The ROTR also recommend leaving 1..5 metres for an overtake. So that requires a car being at least half way into the other lane.

Make sure you drive your vehicle far enough to the left to allow traffic to safely pass or overtake on the right, but not so far to the left that you are driving on a cycle lane or blocking or endangering cyclists or pedestrians.

At the end of the day, the ROTR have no legal standing. They're guidelines, good advice. No more

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is expressly recommended in the RSA's "rules of the road". The slower vehicle should keep left to give the faster vehicle an opportunity to pass safely. Given that everyone here is of the opinion that cyclists are part of the traffic, then they should at least honour the spirit of the rules of the road.

I'm just going to pick up on this one: can you show where exactly in the ROTR it says that cyclists should move left to allow people to overtake safely when it actually states that cyclists may use "Primary Position" for their safety...

There is nothing that says that drivers can overtake when there is insufficient space or if they may endanger someone. What is does say and you failed to mention in your biased response is the following...

But maybe I've looked at the wrong excerpts so do feel free to correct me!

https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-source/road-safety/r1---rules-of-the-road/ruleoftheroad_book-for-web.pdf?sfvrsn=b5d57830_7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

@Sono Topolino "There is no legal "minimum passing distance" for cyclists - you are simply required not to endanger them."

@Sono Topolino "This is expressly recommended in the RSA's "rules of the road". The slower vehicle should keep left to give the faster vehicle an opportunity to pass safely."

So the RSA's recommendation about 1m and 1.5m carries no weight, because it's not set down in law, but the RSA's recommendation about slower vehicles keeping to the left should be followed, even though it's also not set down in law? I'm struggling to understand the contradiction here? I mean surely the different interpretations you arrive at couldn't be just down to the fact that the guidance you want to ignore might cause a driver a fractional delay in their journey in order to ensure safety of vulnerable road users, and the guidance you advocate adhering too could inconvenience/endanger vulnerable road users but might result in a fractional reduction in a driver's journey time?

Also worth noting that you continue to insist the drivers are "simply required not to endanger" other road users, even when it has been pointed out to you the the actual legislation specifies that a driver should not "inconvenience" other road users while overtaking.

And especially relevant that the RSA guidance on keeping to the left is far from absolute. The RSA makes it very clear in the Rules of the Road that there are multiple situations were a cyclist would correctly take the 'primary position'.

The level of cherry-picking in your posts is off the charts.

Advertisement