Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Cork City -warm and showery same as every day ,some days heavier rain than others overall disgusting weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The day will be over by the time it clears up as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Dry in Galway now. Bit of a breeze. Clothes rushed onto the line.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

According to app won't stop raining here until 9pm tonight, suppose I could get my walk in then🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

98.6mm total rainfall Raphoe Friday to Sunday morning. 50.5mm of that fell in 3.5 hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This July is going to end up the wettest month in several years. Local station of Dunsany is now almost 155mm of rainfall and that is up to midnight last night and we've had plenty of rain since then. February 2020 had 157mm of rainfall and that is likely already beating since this morning. This is definitely one of the worst July's or summer months I have ever experienced in my lifetime and to think we have another 8 days go to in this month with rain likely every single day. It's entirely possible that Dunsany could end this month with 200mm of rainfall or more.

The GFS keeps things cooler and wetter than average right out to the 8th of August with perhaps Tuesday being the only day over the next 10 days above average in terms of temperature.

Another 50 to 100mm of rainfall is possible over the remaining 8 days of July. We get a respite on Tuesday with a dryer slot but from Wednesday looks very wet indeed with a 2 day deluge possible on Wednesday and Thursday and another washout weekend to follow from Friday. The atlantic is throwing everything it possibly can at us this summer.

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Monday should be mainly dry. So hopefully I will finally get the grass cut tomorrow . It all goes pear shaped again on Monday Night into Tuesday. It looks like we won't see our long lost friend the Azores High till the second week of August at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

14mm of rain in about an hour down in Cork. Brutal. Max rain rate of 43.8mm/hr recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nice day in North donegal and derry today. Lot of sunshine but dry all day.

In stark contrast to the approx 24hrs of constant, heavy drizzle we got the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Jesus Christ 🥲 off work for two weeks and not leaving these shores. CANT WAIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I didn’t have a holiday abroad for 7 years until last month. Always made best of it and enjoyed our breaks in ireland. But I am utterly utterly fed up with this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I've not been away since 2019 and had no intention of going anywhere this year but made a late booking when the summer started taking a turn for the worse, flying out soon. I can't wait to get some sun, it's not even the heat I don't really care about low temps it's the oppressive lack of sunshine that always gets me. It's so dark and dreary here all day and just fed up of it now.

That was a serious downpour. Haven't seen rain like it for a while.

Dry and mainly overcast all day in Cork City until the heavens opened for about an hour during second half of match and delivered a serious dumping of rain. Most areas around the city showing 7-12mm, and some more. Forecast was off and the rain landed much later and heavier than expected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Probably similar to the downpour we had here in Meath yesterday evening around 5pm, it was biblical rain. Still misty drizzle here in Meath, it's basically been raining here since 4pm yesterday evening and hasn't really stopped at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Another winters evening here in West Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Rain seems to have finally stopped in Waterford. Veg and plants all waterlogged and over watered with this rain. Nowhere near as bad as other parts of the country but the gray is really starting to get reflected in peoples mood.

• Advertisement

Same here in North County Dublin, think it might have finally stopped raining but its so damp outside its hard to tell.

The amount of rain since Fri evening has been unreal. While rain not heavy today it was constant from morning until evening.

Didn't get any higher then 14/15 degrees today.

I'll get my candles going again this winters evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Well its finally clearing up forecast said afternoon so i suppose there right but its nightime now sure🙃

Exactly as I predicated as I said sure we can get out for our walk at 9pm😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I see the fi tread is not available is everything alright? 17c here in carrick currently although overnight lows to get down to 12c

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Shocking outside ,I don't remember a july as bad ,I've had my coat on most days in july as I work outside, usually this coat only comes out in winter / autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Two and a half hours on a plane. Cup of tea, read a bit, chat a bit and before you know it you're landing. Onto a totally different planet! It's always a shock to the system coming back from the sun but this year really breaks all records! 😱 All I can say is thank god for the AI hurling final today, what a great distraction to arrive back to from Spain! But you could see it pssing down in Croker and it will probably be the same for the football next Sunday. Own goal from super smart GAA to change the finals from September, traditionally a better month, to dismal July 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Is there any thread about the Greek fires? I see Corfu in big trouble this evening also, not a word yet on rte news eventhough sky had it 2 hours ago! What poor reporting by rte, even the irish papers have it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I agree about the finals. I much preferred when they were on in September. Also I hate the round robin series too many mismatches. Back to the weather, at least tomorrow and some of Tuesday should be mainly dry in most places. Then it's back to rain on Wednesday. Yet another weekend is looking dire. If the weather does not improve in August we will be looking at a summer to rival some of the wettest on record.

Advertisement