Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

The throwing of the ball is ridiculous at this stage.

Also we missed the impact of Wally coming on as an impact sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

More than Blanchfield missed there today.

we missed Mikey Carey speed and fitness at wing back, and Conor Browne athleticism in midfield. Taking Mullen out of the forwards, does not help our situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I was looking at the game and saying u cant hand pass that quick. Wally should never have started. But that LImk team is so fit.

Wally starting was an odd one and didn't help that he missed his three attempts at goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

There's some stats on why we didn't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I thought that was our worst performance of the year so far, particularly the second half where it seemed like the players didn't want to go to the place where it would take to win it. Harsh maybe but also the truth. A bit like Galway where they just submitted which is something I thought they wouldn't do.

The forwards were really poor in their execution. We really need the likes of Timmy Clifford, Killian Doyle, Denis Walsh and Billy Drennan to step it up next year, otherwise we are facing our longest run without a win ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Looking in, the Kilkenny subs took from the team's performance whereas the Limerick subs added to there's.

Probably 5 or 6 points there alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

By starting Wally and moving Donnelly and Fogarty back a line it fucked everything really. I can 100% see why they did it but as I've said before Fogartys value is in covering 3rd man runs or filling space. By actually playing him as a defender he was locked into a role he hasn't played in years and instead of being the 2nd defender coming in and trying to disrupt the quick handpasses it was left to Donnelly and Mullen to try be those lads and Donnelly as a midfielder against Limerick was never going to work. He could've been effective as an 11 but never as a midfielder. Hindsight is 20 20 but should've started Corcoran or a like for like replacement for Blanchfield instead of **** around 3 lines of your team.

Probably wouldn't have mattered anyway considering how Limerick played in the 2nd half. Let's not lose sight of the fact they shot the lights out. Some of Caseys scores from the sideline were sensational and Lynch was at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

And also Fogarty being a very very poor hurler does not help. Limerick to powerful from 5-12

• Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

Before all the shysters arrive here can I say well done Limerick, they blew Kilkenny out of the water in the second half. Kilkenny need new players badly, to bring on Killian, Richie and Padraig to change the game doesn't work and Kenny is too light and afraid of getting a slap the ones that should stand up don't, Billy, mossy, John etc. Great effort from all involved but sadly just not good enough. Roll on next year 👍

Post edited by Comerman on

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭hogans heroes

Murphy never saved a shot,

Full back line excellent and reid and deegan in half back line.there after only cody and tj threatened trouble.mossy iis noo 11, billy ryan cant have anymore chances total passenger, donnelly to slow and mullen has to be in the forwards.moving fogarty our of midfield was a mistake as he isnt good enough to hurl in the half back line.we need a new midfield and 2 more fwds if you think cody, tj, mullen, and phelan are 4 of the 6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭C__MC

Game probably swayed to limerick before half time, kk should have been 5 - 6 up but limerick took it to 3. It didnt matter but limerick just physically destroyed kk for the next 40 mins and outhurled them. Credit to kk, they are always there though, prob a few legends bowing out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

You pick ONE player to comment on when at least 6/7 were very poor, very inaccurate. nothing new really

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ttowncat

Limerick pressed our short puck out in second half and forced us to go long into that wind. The ball sat up in that wind and their half backs ate it up. We couldn't get possession in middle third to even get good or bad ball into the full forward line. We got so much right today in the defence yet we were kind of toothless in second half. Not much could be done about it as the bench didn't do much.

I wonder is there a case for the over head pull to make a comeback? Regarding kyle hayes and byrnes under.puckouts

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

To be fair that's a poor comment. Not sure if it's being sarcastic but fogarty has been an unbelievable servant to the county for many years and is a super hurler. Yes, his inter county career is shortening but poor to be talking about one of our own like that. He was put in a position wing back that didn't suit his game. Full stop.

Our backs hurled as well as they could have. It was from 8-12 where it was lost. Losing blanchfield, Carey and browne took its toll but the main problem was midfield and half forwards. Too many poor performances here but lyng will see that. Fair play to Limerick. A serious outfit that can truly be compared to our best teams but we will rock on again next year and with the hopeful additions of the 3 above along with much needed competition in the forwards we will be a better force.

The likes of last year's u20 forwards will improve and challenge for positions next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i taught kilkenny were in a great possition when 6 points up after the 2nd goal , but as said above , the limerick line acted fast pushed up , they also went wide to the sideline as they were having no joy running down the center or through the lines

kilkenny got a lot right today but limerick are as good as the cody era in my opinion and that second half especially the last 20 was sensational , i could find very few faults today with kilkenny or Derick lyng

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Todd_UnctiousGael

Very disappointing second half. Thought the referee was very poor, 7/8 obvious calls went against or weren't pulled with Limerick scoring almost immediately after each.

Beside that quibble, Limerick were much the better team in second half. They withdrew their half forward line, so even if the half backline didn't win primary possession their midfield/half forward line mopped up and couple of short passes/handpasses set up their scores. Midfield and Half Forward lines were overwhelmed, should've gone short on puckouts working through the lines with better ball into forwards from halfbacks rather than full back line. Guessing our fitness and conditioning weren't there to do that though.

We created a good few half goal chances, had we taken one or two the last 10 minutes would've been interesting. Hard to know where we stand after that, wouldn't be optimistic that we'll be back again next year. The bunch of u20s will have to improve a good bit for us to challenge next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Thought Fogarty was doing ok in the 1st half as part of a good defensive display. Was he injured and had to come off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Scandalous comment on Fogarty and not your first. You wouldn't lace his boots and not in terms of hurling but in terms of being a human. Sub standard.

Limerick awesome in that second half. Kk did lose their way but were lunch drunk. Great effort but lacking the class that limerick had. They took the hits and were still hurling. The two point swing on the 65 with 10 mins to go was the beginning of the end.

Ref was very good I felt.

Kk still best of the rest and would have out worked any other team in the country today.

Ah leave village alone he's been waiting a long time to slate Fogarty again, probably on the beer now celebrating but no comments on other players such as Kenny etc 🍻

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

At least 3 of our starting forwards wouldn’t make the worst Kilkenny team in my lifetime that won an AI (probably 1979). And that finished us. Once Limerick realised there was an almost non-existent scoring threat from those 3 forwards, they just soared in confidence, our half forward line was obliterated, and we got steamrolled.

The Limerick scores were sensational, but they came from a team that realised Kilkenny had shot their bolt. Even though it only drew them back level the 5 points after Deegan goal finished the match. I felt our last chance went when Phelan slipped and blew a golden pass from TJ.

The big reshuffle pre match meant our hoped-for sub impact got greatly reduced. Two the big three (Hogan, Walsh and Walter) were already on by 35th min, when we needed them around the 50th min and later.

Murphy didn’t have to even deal with block let alone a shot all day. That tells you our backs stood up.

No shame though, we are the 2nd best team in the country and Lyng must be given a lot of credit for getting us there.

Blanchfield and Carey will really help in 2024, Drennan and Dunne should come good to replace at least two or three of the forwards who simply aren’t top class. I think there is a very good chance we will be back in AI next year, a much stronger 15 than today. Good enough to beat Limerick? Maybe not, but def stronger.

Just like Tipp 2009, we must keep believing and improving.

Footnote

Well done Paddy Deegan, I really feared for him today, but he stood up big time, heart of a lion.

Footnote 2.

Keenan had an ok game but for the 2nd year in a row, a ref just didn't have the balls to stamp out throwing, Too scared to "spoil" the spectacle. Limerick are an all time great time but the throwing is simply atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mullinr2

You know we are done for when we are still relying on TJ to carry us through, and to bring on the old stalwarts like Buckley, Hogan to try and change things. Look they have been great servants but surely to god we won't see Wally, Padraig, Buckley, Hogan and Forgarty next year. Even the great TJ must understand that time waits for no-one and probably has come to that realisation too. These guys have been great servants as I said but have now lost 4 finals in a row, with 3 of those by big margins. I just can't see us progressing next year if we continue with the old guard (TJ exception if he decides to stay) or maybe that's how bad the talent pool we have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

He lost control of the ball at one point late in the 1st half and I just got a feeling then that he might have taken a knock, or was winded.

He owes none of us a damn thing though, and singling him out for low insult as he has been above, is absolutely just not on.

Despite the result, and the second half, I think we can reasonably expect to have a big say again next year. The problem being, I don't think we have reason to expect a different outcome. Something for the long-term, ie root and branch change, is required urgently I think, rather than twiddling with tactics and formations.

Other than than, thanks and gratitude to the stalwarts who might now decide take a bow. Like CF, they owe us absolutely nothing.

Well said 👍I'd reckon the only apology Fogerty owes anyone is to Village for either batin him or his ould lad off the pitch in a club game. Otherwise no one can complain about his commitment

We're second favourites to win the All Ireland next year:

Limerick 4/6

Kilkenny 13/2

Cork & Galway 17/2

Clare & Tipp 11/1

Waterford 28/1

Wexford 50/1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Really, I thought not giving kk the 65 and allowing Limerick take the quick puckout, with players in the square, which made it a 2 point lead for Limerick instead of all square was a huge error.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

in my opinion thats what it should haye been all year this year , maybe not so much cork but clare were favorites amd somehow strong favorites despite losing heavy last year , i thnk 13/2 is generous on kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭kk.man

Congratulations Limerick. Analysis can kill analysis. Just bigger stronger fitter won.

I am sickened not just this loss but 4 now in a row, it's hard to take.

Advertisement