Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭kksaints

Whatever about the 65 which I'm not sure whether it was or not but to allow the quick puckout when he had brought them back earlier in the match was bizarre. Didn't think the ref was great tbh he let too much go and to not notice Tom Phelan getting an arm to the face before he blew for a questionable overcarrying call was poor. He wasn't biased but he was inconsistent with his calls. Doesn't make much of a difference as we were well beaten anyway.

With regards to the older squad members I definitely keep some around if they want to stay but there is some particularly Hogan and P Walsh who should be advised to retire before they're dropped from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

Going to sound terrible but here it is; hurling wise we have plenty. It’s fitness wise is the issue. When we had energy we were as good as them. But we lost for two critical reasons;

we ran out of energy. And it was very very noticeable.

we gave away soo many soft scores that had nothing to do with being out hurl’d. How many times did we not track the runners, we didn’t go with the man or left limerick un marked. And they got scores. It was criminal. Our attention to standing toe to toe was poor today. We ball watched far too much. But then a lot if it was out of tiredness.

if we only change one thing next year. We must must be fit enough to compete with limerick. We have the hurling.

we need the likes of Corcoran being fit enough to play this game. But man who can compete.

we need Carey, Blanchfield and Browne back bulked up.

we need to be super fit. Like limerick are.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭forchange

Just said I have a look in see the same old **** talk

comerman trying to justify fogarty on the team just because his best pal selector

he gone way past it

just to remind people at start of year I told you

Tommy Walsh not good enough Correct

padraig Walsh gone past it Correct

fogarty gone past it 4 years ago Correct

Donnely to slow Correct

mossy not good enough Correct

billy ryan Very poor Correct

walter gone past it 3 years ago Correct

Buckley finished 4 years Correct

Alan Murphy dissaster. Correct

Richie gone past it Correct

Told you Derek lyng no right to get job

now I see all agree after he proved it today with his decisions

people saying we missing Conor Browne

he was never good enough to play for kilkenny no skill could not pass the ball

Cody pet

in life you have to face reality Cody took the skill out of kilkenny hurling and until we train up skilled hurlers we going no place

people involved in squads tell me it’s the policy is to bring in big lads not skilled players some of kilkenny greatest were small men with big hearts and plenty of skill

facts are facts

I leave you with top scorer in the last 3 club championships Jonny Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭biglad40

65 adjudications are the umpires job. Was prob loads of bodies in Keenan’s way. Prob karma from 2019 the 65 anyway.

take out the 2 points. Kk would still have lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

Johnny Walsh would not have competed out there. He is not physical enough. To beat limerick you must be as fit as them and you must stick to your man at ALL times. Stupid comment but soo true .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

Welcome back 🙄 I never tried to justify Fogarty playing but would be very interested to see what team you would have put out today minus the 10 players plus the manager you think shouldn't be there and let people see if you're "correct" or not

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ttowncat

This going to sound very mean but i only ask so it might save me watching the whole match back- did billy ryan touch the ball today? And if he did was it meaningful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

My only comment on this: can I see the stats that show John Walsh is the top scorer in the last 3 championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The_Tank

I was surprised when I saw the Sunday game and saw that up about the 60’th minute there was only a couple of points in it. It felt like it had slipped with about 15 minutes left but Kilkenny did claw their way into it but if I recall correctly Mosseys slip came at a crucial stage and Limerick scored a monster psychological blow soon after. There was no feeling we were going to bang over some quickfire points so we tried to chase a couple of goals instead, while Limerick tagged on monster blows.

We were of course trying to put out fires everywhere and our lack of quality depth in the panel was clear to see. Drop a Mick Fennelly into that Kilkenny midfield or centre forward and we would be a different animal. But unfortunately we’re not and that’s why there wasn’t a lot of optimism for our chances - Kilkenny folk know this is a team that is honest but far from vintage. Particularly from 9 up. In that light Derek Lyngs job must be looked at in a 3 year context. We’re not going to nip in and steal and All Ireland unless we evolve the squad and maximise our efficiency.

Some other thoughts..

-Blanchs loss bit deep. He is the prototype modern defender and we lacked his composure on the ball as an outlet

-Interview with Darragh Joyce in the examiner this week also a reminder on what we potentially missed out on

-IMHO Walter has a lot to give but not as a starter. That robbed us of a momentum checker in the second half. Hayes had him shackled in the second half but taking him off was a strange one when we could have moved him into the FF line (and if Hayes followed him all the better)

-Donnelly was free in the middle for two puck outs in the second half but Murphy didn’t give it and went long instead. We lost courage and some composure for sure. We can do the short stuff but as Tyson said everybody has a strategy until they are punched in the face. Limerick know if they punch us hard then we go back to our usual game and then they setup for that. And i’m not one that thinks we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater and move away from the key tenent of using/winning the long ball- but other styles have to be coached from youth up and people need to come in who can play it. Can’t just turn it on in a couple of years with people who can’t.

-We needed four goals and could have got them but the breaks didn’t fall our way. I felt we had their full back line under a lot of pressure if we could get the ball in there quick but as others pointed out we couldn’t get over their HB line in the second half. That said *we should have planned a way to work that - the conditions were well flagged *.

-Tom Phelan was bloody excellent in his first final. Only he got hooked and turned over for that goal chance he was kilkenny motm for me. One of the things he did really well that isn’t noticed is track the runner and not the ball carrier. We were so poor in general figuring out in the white heat of it who Limerick were going to work the ball to - and our men converge blindly on the carrier. It’s something Wexford do to us (and Tipp in the league) also and to be honest I think it’s due to our lack of football nous.

Overall I’m disappointed but realistic. What hurts is that normally when you lose you normally conclude you’re close and just need that extra per cent for the following year. But it doesn’t feel like that. We’re trapped in this purgatory where we’re good enough to beat the rest but not the best. We’re itching to find some of the stars of old again to truely compete rather than asking some of the stars of old to pull lightening from the sky one last time.

There’s hope, there’s always hurlers in kilkenny and there’s a crop of youngsters that have potential. There challenge is to tie it all together with some wit and method. Otherwise we’ll be losing similarly to Cork and that’s a much more painful and unsettling thought

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Who won the toss? Did KK elect to play with that strong wind in the 1st half?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I really like your posts and this one also is almost spot on, but sorry, for me, Phelan first touch all day was terrible. I know he got 3 points but he got enough good ball to have scored 2-5 and a lot of routine ball he needed a 2nd or 3rd touch. I really think he got 3 points because Limerick let him get on a lot a ball as they closed down Cody and TJ, they just didn't see him as a lethal threat.

But still well ahead of Ryan, Mossy and Donnelly on day.

All the talk will be about Lim shooting 21 2nd half points but the real platform was the incineration of our HF line after Deegan's goal. The Sunday Game acknowledged this with all three team of year half backs being Limerick, and all deserved, yet only 2 of the 6 forwards being Limerick.

Also, 5 KK men on team of year, and all 5 deserved, a huge haul for a beaten AI team. But that shows the real issue. This team has a tail of at least 3/4 players 8-15, that are just bang average at best, and when you enter the last 20 mins of an AI Final against a team as good as Limerick, will just get wiped out, and they were.

If we get serious IC replacments for these 3/4 and get Blanch and Carey back fit, we will go very close next year. If.

The fast tracking of Drenann, Dunne and Clifford is now a priority, we cannot go with this same hand again up front. The continual selection of players who consistently play no better than 6/10 and about 3/10 when the heat really comes on, cannot continue.

Well done to Lyng and team, a very good first year and if he's half as good as I suspect he is, he will see all of the above (and more).

Let no one even suggest we aren't the 2nd best team in the country, we have contested the last 3 national finals with Lim. The problem is there is a stand alone oustanding team at number 1.

footnote:

Shit stuff from D Cusack goading Jackie that there is no talent coming through in Kilkenny. Last 4 YHOTs (might have been 5 if Drenann hadnt got injured) and 2022 U20 winners (won without having to cynically horse their opponents out of it to win it like Cork this year ).

Get the kilkenny year book all up to date

whats the pint in bulking up Conor Browne he can’t hurl

anyone trying to blame ref for todays defeat or not fit enough is a joke

we lost because Tommy Walsh not good enough

padraig gone past it

fogart gone past it and to slow

Donnely to slow

Billy Ryan not good enough

Walter not good enough

The one player that performed when he came on this year in every match was young kenny they bring on Alan Murphy who was very poor for Glenmore last year

we have a manager that’s responsible for playing these players he showed earlier in year how out of his debt he was when he put the young player from his own club in against tipp probably the worst decision made in kilkenny hurling nearly as bad as playing brown and Kenny in midfield against Limerick last year

you can try and dress it up but the last 7 years has being a disaster for kilkenny hurling all going back to cody inability to

coach he lost since fogarty left him

reality Galway better team than use we lucky to beat them

lucky to beat Clare

if people think I get pleasure relaying these facts far from it but you have to face reality

as for Jonny he so far better hurler than billy ryan who was so poor for ballycallan last year and has more skill than mossy will ever have

• Registered Users Posts: 18 longcovid

late back to London from the match. A lot of our lads had a poor first touch today not only Tom Phelan who was in his first AI final and in fairness was brave and was one of our best players. Adrian Mullen and Conor Fogarty also had off days wrt first touch and the ball was like a bar of soap for Wally. There was no lack of effort but ultimately we were beaten by a better team. Our shot efficiency was way down and Limericks was way up . Some unbelievable scores from them in the second half. Good luck to them they are worthy champions.

just watched the Sunday game on GAAGo. So Donal Og Cusack, not happy with us getting a nine point beating, suggests that because we only had 17 scores to Limerick’s 30 it was nearly a double scores beating. What a total bitter flute. He can’t do basic Maths and in his opinion a goal is as easily got as a point. Which is interesting coming from a goalkeeper. As usual no one brought up the throwing.

Anyway having a few whiskies to ease the pain and in a while I may be nearly as incoherent as forchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

You don't need to repeat yourself, also lads like you who only appear after a disappointing displays are the lowest common denominator.

All you have done is trying to justify fogarty playing

running down young kenny who really done well for kilkenny in the championship

bring on young players from under 20 all Ireland

I made comment earlier in the year that lyng had chance to build his own team instead of trying to fix things with players that have gone past it

mossy keogan was taking of in Leinster final all Ireland semie and all Ireland last year this year semie and final

Billy Ryan when could you say in 6 years he had a good game he was terrible in semie and final again same as last year

I had the balls to say what was going to happen you have to face facts stop living in fantasy land

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1609

I think Limerick played better this year than in last year's final. Cusack's glorying in Kilkenny's defeat reflects very badly on him. The likes of Liam Sheedy never engage in that level of pettiness.

No you don't have balls. You list the team's middling and ageing players. Everyone knows they don't compare with 15 years ago. But you never give alternatives to these players. Why? Because they're not out there, if they were they'd be playing.

You think your moniker 'for change' is some great definition of your visionary status. It's not, it's like a meaningless political slogan. Change is only beneficial if it results in an improved product with better alternatives.

I can’t help it if kilkenny not good enough

have not missed a kilkenny game in 30 years

just stopped listening to the same old stuff your problem is I told you all this in January and everything I said came through maybe I just lucky

Change means change

it means playing as a team it means passing the ball it means use hurling skills

the first thing you should have is skill this thing o he works hard (mossy) is the greatest heep of rubbish

I am sorry it’s the last thing I done was name a team

one of the first things I did was put someone in who could play centre back Adrian Mullen

The biggest problem today was lynch destroyed Richie Reid and we done nothing about it stood and watched it

age doesn’t come into it you either good enough our you not

The reality is when we were so called on top we scored 10 times they scored 9

They bet us up and down crime park this is after destroying us in league

we’re down with Dublin Galway are above use they will loose 1!player we loose about 8/10 facts are facts

not one person can contradict anything I have said with facts

any player I have said is not good enough I have stated the facts of there performances

just because you don’t like it doesn’t change facts

another hammering in a all Ireland

4 losses 3 of the biggest hammerings we have ever got

let’s be honest the 2 beatings we have got of limerick this year are embarrassing

I told you it before it happened you all tried to say I was stupid did not know what I was talking about

it seems I was the only one that new what I was talking about

peoppe trying to blame ref were not fit enough Eoin Murphy can’t puck out ball

we just not good enough to many poor players and bad management and that includes Cody

his miserable effort over the last 7 years and coaching of team and picking village players who were not good enough which includes his own son led us to where we are now

in fairness to Liz Howard she said it many years ago Cody would destroy kilkenny hurling and that he did he took the skill out of kilkenny hurling younger people might ask older people in there club what I am talking about kilkenny hurling was always knowing got it’s skilful players now we have lads looking for Conor brown to come back who was one of the poorest players ever to hurl for kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

EDIT: not worth the bother, just putting you on the ignore list. Adrian mullen to center back, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Whats the consenus on whether TJ go folks? He has earned a break. Couldn't help thinking yesterday could be it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

I know I shouldn't rise to your crap but you talk absolute shite on here, is it villages burner account?

You can't wait to tear the team apart ater a defeat yet never here after a win. You listed about 10 players not good enough but don't have the balls to name an alternative team. Saying Derek lying had no right to get the job after getting to a league and all Ireland final in his first year I mean what a load of shite.

Hit destroyed in both

Galway better team

stupid mistake from Clare cost them

Limerick destroyed use

everyone gave Limerick a better game than we did

its amazing how I speak crap but no one can contradict what I say

so if I speaking crap what are you talking

What a centre back he would be

all you can say for ffs

he is such a gifted hurler he could play anywhere

if you think Richie Reid is good enough have a good luck at yesterday match lynch destroyed him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Nallan umpire did KK no favours. Missed a 65 from 5 yards and last goal attempt should have been a penalty - for LImk tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

Well let's start with "we lost because Tommy Walsh isn't good enough" and this after he kept Flanagan scoreless and getting him subbed off?

Time to go

let you all back to thinking kilkenny might win all Ireland we further away than ever

can I remind everyone we could not beat a very poor Wexford team when it mattered

I rest my case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

Would Anyone out there have the b - - - s and equipment to pick out all the throws from the televised match ,SLOW THE LOT DOWN and put it up on U TUBE. ? Even though the nation - including ALL THE REFEREES, linesmen , umpires and the GAA - is treating the practice equivalent the the KING WITH NO CLOTHES , RTE - here we go again about it’s competence/strategy/cosy relationships/sponsorship possibility, etc,etc- - has chosen NEVER to replay any of these suspected thrown balls not to say in slow motion. IMO there is a tacit Understanding between the GAA and RTE that area is not to be visited . Must also be some ‘ arrangement’ between most/ all of the referees. It could only happen in Ireland

if there were no balls thrown , then why not slow motion some of the suspected throws and put the issue to bed. Or better still - on the assumption the a number of balls are thrown by both sides - why not slow motion a similar number of balls thrown by both sides . That would be a ‘balanced ‘ approach to an issue that we all know that it is happening.

Advertisement