Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

@cyrus I can see your posts on other peoples replies to you, you may not be aware of this. One other thing you may not be aware of is that any poster can reply to any post on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I remember years ago he was interviewing Fergal Quinn. Fergal was telling him about his campaign to eliminate the rogue apostrophe and spelling mistakes in all Superquinn signage. Fergal said a particular irritant was the spelling of ‘ broccoli’. He asked Ryan to spell it and Ryan went purple with embarrassment and refused to even try.

Supplement in the The Times on the morrow...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can everyone discuss the topic, and not posters (be that poster yourself or anyone else)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

All Ryan has to do is give back the 150k he was paid by RTE for 6 gigs that's didn't happen and probably will never happen and he will be free to return to RTE. Is that where we are at,do you think?

• Advertisement

There’s a lot more than that to this topic I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And the millions from the barter account they all thought was their personal slush fund

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I agree with that. RTE is a broken and rotitng from the insides and needs systematic change .I feel as though,as far as Tubridy and bahurst are concerned, this 150k is the crux of the matter. That is what their "Frank and open discussion was about"

I think Tubridy will be back once he agrees to hand back that money. I think there will be a big PR machine in motion to get him back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And if he is back that just smacks of no accountability - do wrong, get rewarded. He had the chance to hand the money back the day this all blew up (and the day he became aware of it) and he didn't because he thinks he is entitled to the money - the whole "if someone asks me to hand it back I will" just reeks of the self entitlement of the "talent" and whole Board and higher ups in RTE.

They've become so accustomed to the lavish lifestyle they now believe it is a right they are entitled to.

How the government can expect that everyone in the country should pay towards RTE with a broadcasting charge whilst any of the current heads are in charge and absolutely no reform whatsoever. The licence fee allows those who do not want to support RTE and its wastage a means of not supporting it.

RTE is either a PSB or its a commercial operation - they shouldn't be allowed to have the best of both worlds whilst doing the absolute minimum of promotion of Irish heritage and Irish sponsored production. I've seen a good few UK produced shows doing what RTE should have been doing over the past few years - if it was up to RTE Father Ted would have never existed.

If a PSB then zero advertising and all this talk of this "star" and this "star" brings in so much advertising is out the window and they are paid a fair wage (not a contractor)

Didn't expect to go on that rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If the PR machine involves NKM puff pieces, RTE have not learnt their lesson and can get to fook.

You have just described Business /politics in Ireland. There has never been accountability because there is zero appetite for it, and no consequences for criminally abusing publically funded money. It's a vile incestuous cess pitt of depravity . Disgusting immorality from politics and state funded entities colluding with each other to profit themselves at the publics expense

Dee Forbes should have a cab inspector at her door, and a crime investigation...instead she is going to have a state guaranteed golden egg pension and complete impunity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have to disagree with you about Marty, he has stolen a living on the back of the gaa and with Rte as well, another talentless clown with the hand in the cookie jar, commentary on the Ireland with him is the same old waffle with a long gone sell by date. Hopefully revenue catch up with him shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

fritzkelly 11:19pm

How the government can expect that everyone in the country should pay towards RTE with a broadcasting charge whilst any of the current heads are in charge and absolutely no reform whatsoever. The licence fee allows those who do not want to support RTE and its wastage a means of not supporting it.

Yes it is very odd. The correct response would have been to strengthen the leverage of the public rather than weaken it. Even as it stands, in order to fully legally withdraw financial support for RTE, as everyone should, you have to not own a television which, although doable, is still unfair.

A fairer way of funding RTE would be to tie the fee to specifically viewing RTE rather than owning a TV. RTE, if they thought they were any good, would be screaming for this approach. That was always their complaint: people not paying their TV licence but still enjoying RTE's content. Logically therefore a subscription model would be fairest on both consumer and RTE. Only those who pay get to watch RTE (no more evasion) but those who don't are free to watch the output of other companies.

But of course they don't support this model because they know their output is such that very few would choose to pay for it. Hence the rush to a compulsory charge in the wake of the scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blarney_boy

With all these talk of podcasts - listened to Joe Brolly / Dion Fanning one - thought it was interesting -

But another that was thought provoking was the David McWilliams podcast (again he's not everybody's cup of tea) but he was making the case that if you compare salaries in our national broadcaster RTE 300K to 500K to broadcaster salaries in Denmark (which has the same population as us) their national broadcaster pays it's presenters 90K to 120K.

I immediately though of the debate on the 100K salary - if the Danish national broadcaster is running their organisation and the top earner there is on 120K how the FUP did we end up with Ryan 'Toyman' Tubridy on 500K?

Oh, and another point from the Brolly-cast that I agreed with, he was talking about Gay Byrne and how fearless he was in confronting the accepted pieties of the time and never shied away from controversy even though he knew he might lose his job . . . the current generation of broadcasters in comparison will never challenge the orthodoxy - their inflated salaries buys their silence

This was another out of touch ego-driven piece of humblebragging by Tubs via NKM via the tabloids:

Gift Grub did a sketch about it at the time, mocking how “famous” Tubs claimed to be/was in his own head. I couldn’t find it on a quick search but will look further tomorrow.

found it:

A few bingo buzzwords for the radio thread regulars in there too…..;)

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Its like AI wrote this POS.

"Ryan Tubridy said there is ‘no escape’ from fans worldwide as he opened up on the reality of being one of the most famous men in Ireland."

Global fame yet national in one sentence?

"Asked if there is anywhere he can go unnoticed, he joked: “I have a really nice couch.”"

This lad is a prize c***.

All day. No breaks.

No wonder his husband left him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

For me, it was the vox pop comments that illustrate part of the barrier to change.

One supporter of the RTE man wrote online: “Great, transparent, genuine statement, Marty.

“You did some gigs for Renault, they ­provided you with a car. You are far from alone in that regard in RTE. No big deal.”

And one wrote: “Why are you apologising? Renault gave you a car to spin around in. So what?”

“Transparent, genuine statement” - yeah, when caught out after 5 years driving for free

”No big deal” and “So what”. Says it all about the psyche, really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

I’d forgotten that fluff from last year. He certainly believes his own PR. Laughable really

It’s more “creates” than “believes” tbh. All part of the NKM brand bible.

• Advertisement

An old but insightful piece on Tubs from long gone rabble.ie:

Their while Gombeen series was amusing. Another prominent NKM “talent” also featured:

I’d say Tubs and Noel were impressed. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Many people here on this thread, myself included have been absolutely consistent that should be no future role as a public facing presenter for Tubridy in RTE. And that ideally he should take his talents elsewhere.

This as part of a complete overhaul of the contracts other presenters are on. That there needs to be much tighter financial controls in RTE and the ending of the junkets and perks culture.

And that IMHO is what is needed, a steady consistent message and a public demand for change.

• I believe the time is coming very shortly that RTE can no longer afford anyone the likes of Tubridy any more. In fact I don’t believe I’ll be far wrong predicting the demise of RTE as we know it. Bakhurst’s tenure will be short enough, just enough to prepare for the reconstitution of the broadcaster into a new entity, and maybe with a different branding, hopefully maintaining the core experienced staff who hold it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

"I’ve been to New York and down in the subways, and had ‘what are you doing here Tubs’ and yeah it’s everywhere"

Yeah, but seemingly the rodents down in the New York subway can be very aggressive and territorial. Especially if you were trying to push one for a selfie.

• He must have been highly indulged as a child to have such an ego. Always told he was the best boy in the world I reckon. People who crave validation the way he does have either been hyper-indulged, or on the other hand hyper-criticism or early bullying during childhood can lead to it too, but usually the inner self-confidence is not evident. Ryan has no shortage of self-confidence so it would be from constantly being told, by well-meaning family etc, that he’s infallible. Maybe older bro being manifestly exceptionally intelligent, there was over-compensation to validate Ryan.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can see a solicitor standing up in court and saying '' My client was indeed found coming out the window of the victim's house with the property in his possession but he has agreed to give it back and he will attend mass next Sunday''.

He's still a burglar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

"You're the best little future Toyman in the world, yes you are, yes you are".

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

For me the fact he stood idly by whilst his underdeclared earnings were published in the media is incomprehensible.

The man had something to hide at the same time he was spouting all the "we're in this together" stuff.

Very disengenous and not the man he made himself out to be. No way he can return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

That would be good, and would be great to see a pathway for a flow of journalism/ media students into the organisation.

No more nepotism.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement