Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I’ve great time for German folks, really sound people, I also don’t find them arrogant at all, more cultured than even English folks in my experience

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I go to Germany a lot due to in-laws living there, like I go once or twice a year.

Would say the old Germans are very grouchy and give out to you a lot but anyone younger than that is grand. A few of them could do with lightening up a bit as they aren't a lot of craic but I don't find them rude or arrogant.

• tbh Germans come across very stoic and to the point but it’s just their way. They’re actually right craic sure look at Oktoberfest!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

***CONTROVERSIAL OPINION WARNING***

Do not attack me over this. It's just a (to me) throwaway opinion and it's not something I'd go out and actively campaign for, nor do I expect it to be. But it is controversial, and I make it knowing that I am not and never will be affected by it. So...

I don't think the state should be introducing coverage for IVF. I get it, it's a horrible thing to happen and it's great that IVF is the solution for many. But I don't see why the state (and in effect, me) should have to fund other people trying to have children. Even worse, people can apply after having being in a relationship for only 1 year! As if that's enough time to know if you should or shouldn't have kids with someone. It bangs of the mica issue, whereas a personal problem shouldn't be the states responsibility.

Now, I'm not asking for people to come on and convince me otherwise. I'm just stating an opinion that is controversial. I'm not looking for a debate, and I certainly don't need people reading this and thinking I'm the next hitler. It's just an opinion. It's also not one I would share in person, because I'm sure the replies will show why (if any, maybe people won't actually have a go at me for this! That'd be a miracle). I already pay for other people having babies in my private health care (mandatory pregnancy cover, for me, a male... with a penis).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’d argue that your stance on the mica issue will probably bring down more ire upon you than your views on funding IVF😂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I wouldn't worry about it from a "my taxes " point of view

The state will more than likely make more back from that "Child" though taxes they pay through out there adult life .

Yes some may leave the country or never end up paying tax here for a variety of reason's but the state will make there money back on it,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of this boils down to people putting kids on the long finger because career and when they get around to actually trying Mother Nature says nope.

I predict there will be next to no kids in the decades to come because people can't afford them and/or they can't have a mature relationship or want to start a family crammed into the one house with mom and pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Outdoor cats in urban areas should be illegal, any cat that strays on to another person's property should be destroyed. If I had my way I'd allow people to lay poison in their gardens to get rid of these strays.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Yes, absolutely. Although, unless you live in a place without any fences or a gate. It's quite hard for a dog to come into your garden. Cats are much better climbers.

Personally, I think we should implement a program to destroy as many of the stray cats as possible as they do immense damage to birds and other wildlife. The government should give owners a year to get their cats chipped and any cat caught after this date has not been chipped should be assumed to be a stray and should be destroyed as humanely as possible.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I would tend to agree - I think that the increasing age of first motherhood in Ireland is actually a rather alarming trend and it is utterly unsustainable.

Providing free IVF services to people who don't actually need it is only going to encourage this trend.

Couples need to have their children when they are young - as in their late 20s/early 30s - and not push it back to their early 40s when Mother Nature says "nope" and they are really too old to raise babies and toddlers which demand a lot of energy.

We need to encourage and support middle class women to have their children when they are at the prime age to do so safely and not create a situation where having children is difficult, frustrating, stressful and inordinately expensive.

There are so many roadblocks - the housing catastrophe being one of the main ones as are those online "dating" apps - to couples meeting, getting hitched and having kids at the best age to do so.

The current trend does not bode well for the long-term future of Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think we’ll be alright lads with population projections in the region of 6 million by 2050.

I wouldn’t be thinking the tiny number of couples who will qualify for 3 rounds of IUI and 1 round of IVF treatment will have any impact at all 😳

They’re not exactly pushing the boat out only budgeting €10m for it -

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0725/1396276-cabinet-meeting-agenda/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's more about priorities than money. Each and every cent of those 10 mils can be better spent in hiring more doctors and Gardai, and so is the time and resources of those politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sure you can. Make the jobs more attractive, pay them better. Recruit foreign doctors if needed. There are EU countries who are not as rich as Ireland, with no budget surplus of 10 feckin billions projected for 2023, who have twice as much doctors per capita. Ireland have the money to do much better, it only needs to spend them on what matters.

Have to abolish the public pay agreement,but it may be the only way to attract more Guards and medical staff.

Abolish or amend or do whatever needs to be done, no agreement or law should stand in the way of doing good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...with our aging population, we might just be thankful for those new borns born via ivf.....

...we have a growing resistance towards immigration at the moment, this will probably continue to grow, so.....we re also clearly top heavy in the hse, this needs to be addressed asap, the rte situation is truly only the tip of the iceberg in regards our misuse of public resources and funding.....

.....we clearly need to renegotiate pay and conditions for some of our public sector workers, particularly at the lower end of the spectrum, i.e. nurses, and other health care workers etc , in order to make it attractive once again, retention and new recruit numbers are falling, and in some cases quickly, its simply not appealing to do such jobs...

....so potential fcuk democracy and other critical needs of others?

Democracy is safe, people's lives aren't.

The push back against immigration doesn't apply to actual doctors and engineers, who are part of the reason we have those 10 billions as surplus.

HSE is another example of letting agreements and unions standing in the way of doing what needs to be done. It can't be that we value them more than the lives lost waiting in the A&E and public consultant outpatient appointments.

Again, I've nothing against IVF being subsidised, it's just that I don't think it's something that is really necessary now.

• Advertisement

democracy clearly isnt safe at all, as we clearly dont have it in the real sense, we re clearly experiencing a more plutocratic form of democracy, whereby the needs and wants of the more wealthier entities in our societies trumps all others needs, and ta fcuk with the consequences....

...theres clearly a rise in the concerns of immigration in all its forms, this is clearly becoming a much bigger issue, and is being expressed in many ways, including at the ballot boxes, this will more than likely continue, as is the case in many recent elections across europe, we wont be the outliers here, expect this going forward in our own elections.....

...the main reason for the surplus is in fact an outcome of these more plutocratic orientated polices, i.e. most of the surplus is actually coming from a handful of large corporations, those that have truly gained from our polices over the decades....

....the short comings of the hse is as a result of decades of again of the same type of plutocratic prioritised polices, polices that have favored the more wealthier entities of the sector, from doctors, consultants, including consultancy firms such as the big 4, large business, corporations, insurance companies etc etc etc, whos aim has ultimately being to extract as much from the system, to maximize share holder value etc etc, ultimately defunding the system as a whole, resulting in.......

...i wouldnt overly worry about it though, we ll probably never truly address these issues, so our outcomes may never truly change, so.....

It's appealing in Australia and the Middle East. Even Guards are moving to Australia.

They're dealing with an international market with local union rules.

...yup, we have completely fcuked up these sectors so much people are heading off, and you cant blame them either, thats what the whole approach of defunding is about, i.e. make these sectors so unappealing, people run, it works extremely well, we re not the only country currently experiencing this either.....

I think Coldplay have plenty of good songs.

seen them, just not my thing, cant get them at all, but shur if they make people happy, happy days....

That handful of multinationals are doing what government should be doing: they are paying well and they offer good working environments without being encumbered by unions and agreements. And what they do is clearly working. And Ireland it's a better place because of them.

...modern political ideologies and their resulting policies are ultimately about outsourcing what was once state responsibilities, some beleive this is a far more efficient use of resources, but now we have the reality, the priorities of these outsourced entities is in fact maximising financial gains, at all costs, even if the outcomes themselves spiral out of control, in which we re now experiencing, i.e. housing, health care and other critical infrastructure needs etc etc

...its also important to be more honest, some of these entities are indeed paying well and offer great conditions, but some are doing the exact opposite, again, theres plenty of evidence to support this, and again, this is ultimately another method of guaranteeing maximum financial gains, i.e. fcuk many over, in order for others, mainly more wealthier entities to gain greatly....

...we now have sufficient global evidence, the movement to largely de-unionising our societies and economies has in fact greatly harmed most, resulting in severe instabilities and precariousness for most workers, so actually it actually hasnt largely worked for the general workforce, but by god have a small percentage of the population, in particular the more wealthier, primary asset owners, gained from such approaches and polices, and you wonder why we re now experiencing a significant rise in anger and resentment, and such voting outcomes.....

The multinationals we have in Ireland are the kind that pay well and have good working conditions and they should be a model for state owned entities from this perspective, i.e. pay, working conditions and retention. How is this controversial?

If there is some agreement or union preventing doctors and nurses getting better pay and working conditions, or if there is something linking doctors and nurses pay with paper pushers pay then that agreement is detrimental to the wider population benefit and it should be done with. When we have a shortage of nurses we need to pay them more to attract more, that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Made this for my iTunes a few years back - flows really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Encouraging Irish people to breed is not really viewed as progressive by our liberal betters , import people is the way forward apparently in order to provide pensioners with a retirement etc

Advertisement