Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Thats a decent saving, I’ve pretty much given up on UK based eBay sellers since Brexit because of Customs etc. Did you manage to dodge that bullet ? PM if you’re not keen to get into it here. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Hey all. I want my zappi to only charge from 11. 15pm to 7.45am.

I thought I had this set correctly but noticed this morning it starts at 11pm and is charging past 8am.

How should I set this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You should have the Zappi set to Eco+ mode with a scheduled boost from 23.15 with a duration of 8 hours.

You can't do sub hour increments in the planner that I can see so 7.15 or 8.15 is the closest you can get

Make sure you don't have any conflicting schedules that might cause it to run on, and check the time is correct on the Zappi

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks.

Is there something specific I need to do to tell it to only use Eco+?

Do I just leave Eco+ selected and then hit the back arrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Mine looks the same only the ‘leaf’ slider is set to 100%. Not sure is that makes a difference if charging at night though.

You'll want to go and check the charger itself, sometimes I've noticed it doesn't sync when I change the mode in the app

Also, on the Zappi itself see if you have preconditioning set. I think it's in the charge options menu. That'll allow your car to take one a few extra kWh from a certain time so it doesn't drain the battery while preheating

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So I noticed my mother in laws Zappi appears to only have 1 CT clamp, on the mains feed into the house (at the fusebox). Without having a CT clamp on the house consumption live, isn't there a risk that the zappi could cause the main fuse to blow? She has solar, so my theory is that on a sunny day she'll get 4kW from solar which the zappi knows nothing about, and the zappi could charge a car at 7kW which would be pulled from the grid. As far as the zappi is concerned, there's only a 7kW load on the house, and not the 7+4+anything else load.

From what I understand, the Harvi at her fusebox can support 3 CT clamps, and there's only 1. Is it as simple as ordering a CT clamp from myenergi and connecting it around the feed out of her 63A fuse? (and some harvi/zappi setup to say what that new CT is for)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If I'm understanding you correctly, there is no what you're calling house consumption live. House consumption is the net of what comes into the house minus what the Zappi uses which are both known, plus the solar which it doesn't know about. But since the solar doesn't come through the mains tails or fuse it has no impact on your max import capacity.

You could get another clamp for the solar input but but that's only useful for seeing it in the app and doing smart things with charging, but it's not a safety issue.

Are you worried that the consumer unit limit might be exceeded? I guess it could if it was installed arseways and I'm out of my depth in this one but I know there are wiring schemes to ensure loads are distributed correctly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You dont need another one I wouldn't think, the mains clamp is the only one it needs, any other clamps are purely for logging purposes so you can see them on the screen or in the app.

• Advertisement

But how does the zappi know to load balance? It knows nothing about what the house is actually drawing

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,264 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What limit have you set for the load balancing on that zappi? Mine is set to 7kw (probably doesn't need to be that low). So in your scenario my set up would be putting 4kw solar into the car and 3kw from the grid, load balancing wouldn't be kicking in there until the zappi was seeing over 7kw coming from the grid alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

Zappi knows what it is drawing itself.

It knows what is coming in from the grid via the CT clamp, which includes the Zappi's own draw.

Once the grid load measured via the CT clamp approaches the limit set within the Zappi then the Zappi knows to back off its own draw so as not to exceed the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So I noticed my mother in laws Zappi appears to only have 1 CT clamp, on the mains feed into the house (at the fusebox).

But how does the zappi know to load balance?

It knows it from that "mains feed" clamp.

Without having a CT clamp on the house consumption live,

I think your confusion is in the above statement. The "mains feed" is the "house consumption live". They are the same cable.

When Solar energy is generated it gets used in the house first (thus reducing the "mains feed"). If there is excess it goes back out via the mains feed and hence the Zappi can sense that excess from that clamp.

Thats all it needs to know to ensure the fuse doesn't blow (since that's a function of the "mains feed") and it can work its Eco settings by sensing when there is excess energy (also via the "mains feed" clamp).

Additional clamps, as said by others, is just for logging/display purposes.

The "mains feed" is the "house consumption live". They are the same cable.

I don't think so. The fuse box has 2 feeds in. 1 from mains, and 1 from solar. The CT is only on the meter side of the fuse box, so the zappi only see's what's coming from the grid. There's no CT on the solar/inverter feed in, and no CT on the what's coming out of the consumer 63A fuse.

Thats all it needs to know to ensure the fuse doesn't blow (since that's a function of the "mains feed") and it can work its Eco settings by sensing when there is excess energy (also via the "mains feed" clamp)

What about on FAST mode? I know Eco relies on the excess (what's being pushed back to grid) to manage it's load, but what about this scenario:

1. Solar is generating 4kW
    2. House is consuming 4kW
    3. Grid is thus importing/exporting 0kW
    4. The the car is plugged in on FAST charge, and starts pulling 7kW
      1. House still needs 4kW
      2. Zappi still gets 7kW
      3. Zappi sees the grid pulling 7kW - How does the zappi know the house has an 11kW load?
    5. Lets flick on a 3kW kettle
      1. House load is now 14kW which could be close enough to pop the main fuse
      2. Zappi can see 10kW coming from the grid which is fine, but the actual load on the house is much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Zappi sees the grid pulling 7kW - How does the zappi know the house has an 11kW load?

The Zappi doesn't care about the 11kW. It only cares about protecting the ESB fuse (the meter side) and sensing the excess and in your example that fuse is only serving 7kW, not 11kW.

Lets flick on a 3kW kettle. House load is now 14kW

Thats where you're going wrong. You are "using" 14kW but the incoming ESB fuse is not serving 14kW. Its serving "House load - Solar generation"

The Solar generation bit is subtracted from your examples as you are generating that locally and using it instantaneously so it doesn't affect your main fuse other than reducing its load.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Quick question about my Zappi and Solar set up. Today is going to be a lovely day. At 8.15am my 5kw house battery is at 20% so almost empty and I will be leaving the house at 1pm. No one else home. The house battery currently being topped up by sun but I want the current surplus to go to car as house can top up after 1pm when I leave. If I select Eco on Zappi it draws 1.4kw from grid. Currently have granny cable plugged into car to utilize the surplus. Is this the only solution or is there some better solution. Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Im my case selecting eco+ setting results in the zappi continuously adjusting draw to soak up excess solar only which should negate any draw form grid.

However I left it plugged in on that setting yesterday evening and it emptied the house battery which meant I was using day rate grid for rest of evening. Must look at settings to stop this happening in future

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The simple answer is you can’t limit the Zappi to solar only with a hybrid battery. The only way it knows there is excess is if you are exporting to the grid, which means your battery is full.

You could probably set something on the inverter to prevent drain while you charge, but you can’t do it from the Zappi app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Set the "Device Limit" on the Zappi to about 18Ah, and then do FAST

• Advertisement

Set the Zappi to Eco+ and set the export limit to 150W with a 15s startup timer and 60s stop timer

The Zappi will start when the house is exporting 1.55kW and will maintain 150W export. This stops the house battery from being drained

The timers will stop the charger stopping if a small cloud rolls over and blocks the sun for a minute. They default to 30s each but I found the charger was switching off a lot

This only works when the house battery is full. OP wanted to charge the car before this, just from solar.

Using the "Device Limit" and FAST, this allows you to drain the battery too, allowing it to refill / recharge after the car has gone

Ah I misread the question sorry, then @championc is on the money

A slightly simpler option might be to let the house battery top up a bit and then drain it into the car in the hour or two before leaving. Then you can just set the device limit to the inverter max output and not have to manage it

I don’t think they want to drain the house battery. my reading is they want to charge the car from the solar (pause the house battery) and continue to top it up when they leave. I’d love this too, but with a hybrid inverter it’s not possible.

Post edited by stimpson on

Yes, but it's all about HOW you drain the battery. AFAIK, the only way is the method I said. If you didn't adjust the Device Limit, you'll end up pulling from the grid.

I've done this many times. You get plenty of practice when you import one Day unit in a whole month !!!

Post edited by championc on

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Fair play. I'll try this tmrw. Plugging in the granny charger works a treat but obviously is a pain in the arse.

So I just realised my zappi only charges at at around 4kw. (I charge off peak at night)

I charged at my sister's the other day and it was at 7kw.

Any idea why this is happening?

It looks like the grid is saying it only has just over 4kw available which seems strange otherwise our electric shower would never work....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

To cover some bases is it a tethered or untethered zappi?

Is your sisters a tethered or untethered?

What cable did you use in both occasions?

What car do you have (some only came with 16 or 20 amp cables)

• Advertisement

Or maybe you have a Device Limit set in your Zappi ?

I deliberately lower mine at times, to FAST charge in the morning and drain the battery and not pull from the grid, if the car would be out for the afternoon, allowing plenty of time for the battery to recharge

Advertisement