Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

Because it’s the Sunday game. Limerick at the peak of their powers today. KK had no answer in the 2nd half. Horsing long ball into that half back line is not the way to beat ye. It’ll be figured out in about 5yrs time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The motm award and the whole Joanne Cantwell outside broadcast looked absolutely dreadful. It’s gone from a suited and booted banquet dinner to what looked like the smoking area out the back of a pub. Looked terribly twee and amateurish, exactly what Donal Og was complaining about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

would you ever shut the fcuk up , jeasus , he has his horses runing in the colors of his club team since the 1970s , hiding money ?? he has more mony out into the region then any politician

total and utter nonsense

if your so intrested in wastful taxpayers money walk into any halting site in the country tomorrow morning or any dole office next tuesday and shout out your disproval and see how you get on , them people do nothing for socicaty

dont agree , limerick decided to have it at home , split season is a master stroke by the gaa , only fair weather supporters could be complaining of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

If I was a player, I'd much more enjoy tonight's chilled affair than being kept in Dublin for a banquet. Let them at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Donal Og has some chip on his shoulder. He really needs to have a bit more balance. Upset because every paper has not got hurling front and center from last Monday to next Friday

Really gas watching the follow up to the announcement of hurler of the year. Donal Og has hard on for Quaid all year. I say he was upset because he did not get on the RTE team of the year. To add insult to injury he was not in the running for player of the year.

There must have been a bit of an argument before the show between Jackie Tyrell and Donal Og. Joe Canning announced the winner and told them have at it.

Tyrell left Donal Og waffle on and then put him back in his box. He made the point that Kyle Hayes has won every one of his battles this year and scored in a good few games as well and as Jackie said he was having a quite season this year.

JT was correct Hayes was immense in the Munster Round robin and if you consider that Limerick wouldn't be in the final if they got knocked out of Munster this year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Donal Og's comments about the Tailteann Cup especially considering his involvement in the GPA exposed his true colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Limerick and Kilkenny didn't stay up because there is no hotel accommodation or they wanted huge money.

Citywest where most of the teams used to stay is used to house refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clare in Exile

While he may be a decent lad according to many people, Marty Morrissey should not be doing commentary on an All-Ireland Final. He seems out of his depth, has no natural flow and his attempts at painting poetic pictures with words come across as too forced.

I actually texted a friend just prior to throw-in, preparing them for Marty's scripted verbal overflow as the teams paraded. It was truly nauseating, and for some bizarre reason he saw fit to throw in best wishes to the women's soccer team ahead of their next match in the World Cup. At one stage he went off script when he spotted Tony McCoy in the crowd, but immediately returned to his notes.

It's not good enough for a national broadcaster to have such amateurish output on the biggest day for our national sport.

I can still recall Marty's commentary when Limerick won the year that Dolores O'Riordan passed away - in the last few minutes he shoehorned in as many references to The Cranberries songs as he could muster, thinking he was being somewhat clever. It was not, in any way, shape or form, clever.

It sounds like BBC NI hit all the right notes yesterday - I watched their coverage of the Ulster Final and it was a breath of fresh air.

Yesterday Marty Morrissey once again failed on the big occasion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You need a banquet hall and probably about 50 rooms minimum. That's not easy get in Dublin where as back home it's a lot easier especially when hotels sponsor your team.

If the GAA and RTE want tradition the GAA should book next year's hotel for the players now and not leave it to county boards to put the cash up.

I cannot understand why the GAA cannot book the hotels for the teams qualifying for the final early in the year. They then hand over the bookings to the qualifying teams.

However there is probably 1-2 issues. Between some team panels ( varying from 25-35 and team management and backroom 20-40) it's might be hard to book a hotel with enough rooms. That before you allow for family members.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

The Kilkenny team were doing the same and that was also the plan if they had won. No harm to make rte graft a bit. Good for them doing it on their own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

He doesn’t pay tax in Ireland, why should he?

He employs thousands of people and probably tens of thousands indirectly. They pay tax and his businesses pay tax. He’s put friends of mine through college with his scholarships and I’m nowhere near Limerick, and neither are they. Yes he loves Limerick and he pumps money into the county, but his goodwill goes far beyond Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

He just talks too much. Too many stars about players' careers and jobs in the middle of actual action. No need to react immediately either when someone well known shows up in the crowd. The point about TV is that people can see stuff. No need to have everything commented on.

Yeah, Kilkenny were annihilated. Dónal Óg Cusack the only one with the guts to call that. It's amazing how many people can sit in TSG studio and never actually make a memorable point. Dónal Óg actually engages intellectually with the game which presumably is why people feel threatened by him.

You are totally correct about Richie Hogan. He was finished a few years back. Doesn't look fit anymore and too small for the modern game.

When I saw Kilkenny bringing on Padraig Walsh, Walter Walsh, Killian Buckley and Hogan in the semi final I realised that they don't have a panel. Men of other days. The final proved how far off the pace they are. They were lucky to get there but I'm glad they did.

Post edited by Rosita on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have to agree what you’re saying, at the end of the day gaa is two games hurling and football, and the same for the ladies. Should never be one game over the other. The Tailteann Cup was a great result for football to see the standard being improved and games for players that don’t reach the knockout stages, hurling had a great year with Carlow improving and Westmeath win, don’t agree about his elitism **** of Munster hurling, hurling is played in every county for the good of the game.

Kyle Hayes might not have been in Limerick's top five players this year. It was acknowledged even when they were picking him in the team of the year that it wasn't his greatest year. Barry Nash was far better and wasn't on the team of the year. Laughable. A joke to have five Kilkenny players on that team. TJ Reid was marginal at best yesterday but still on that team ahead of Cian Lynch whose semi final and final performances alone were miles ahead of any aggregate of Reid's contribution all year.

Tyrrell has no credibility after he was so wrong about Conor Whelan. But it looks like he big-mouthed his way to have quite an influence on that team. The All Stars tend to follow TSG team very closely. Hopefully they will have minds of their own this year. Limerick and teams that actually gave them a game should have greater representation.

Yeah, when people look back on the hurling year it'll be all about Carlow and Westmeath definitely.

• Advertisement

Yeah, when people look back on the hurling year it'll be all about Carlow and Westmeath definitely.

A team and player of the year are exactly that ''of the year'' not just of the semi final and final. Cian Lynch played two games this year. Ya Finals and semi finals are important. The nearest Limerick came to losing the four in a row was probably in the Munster championship. They are deserving champions but they just about got out of Munster his year.

Hayes, Byrne's, O'Donoghue, Donovan, the two Morrisory's and Barry Nash carried them through the early phases. Now not all are entitled to be on TOTY or entitled to All-Stars but Cian Lynch's performance in the final and SF was only because if there graft.

It was not his greatest year but it was still good enough for him to be the most influential player they had this year. His performances against Cork and Clare were immense a d especially his decision making in defence

In Rugby parlance the Limerick half back midfield lines wins matches the rest of the team decide by how much

Slava Ukrainii

Yeah, no doubt Limerick's biggest challenge is in Munster. The rest is easy. But made easier because of how Cian Lynch pulls the strings. He's so far ahead of Reid it's not funny.

Great that he doesn't pay tax in Ireland. If he did it'd be lost in some bribe to the rich part of the electorate by Varadker where everyone gets a tenner but nobody gets anything meaningful.

As an aside with Hannon injured Will O'Donohue was moved to CB. Hayes has played a lot of hurling in that position underages. Because they did not want to mo e him or Byrnes from the WB positions and with O'Donoghue new to the position he may have been instructed to not go forward as much as he normally would this probably diminished his influence in the SF and AIF

Slava Ukrainii

As an aside with Hannon injured Will O'Donohue was moved to CB. Hayes has played a lot of hurling in that position underages. Because they did not want to mo e him or Byrnes from the WB positions and with O'Donoghue new to the position he may have been instructed to not go forward as much as he normally would this probably diminished his influence in the SF and AIF

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I'm probably in the minority who actually thought the last two weeks in August was ideal.

It seems you are either in July or September camp for most people.

I thought finals in August last two weeks gave good balance plus kids were off school and could enjoy celebrations after.

Of the people I do know who play or involved in clubs not one said it made a difference really.

Now of course the club player needs be treated with the most respect too but even speaking to kerry club lads they say it's made little difference anyway.

Just my 2c. I can appreciate other arguments too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

They lost 3 games in 2019. This rubbish narrative needs to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,421 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That's cause Kiely was taking his foot of munster and not going for it. It nearly cost them till they hammered Tipp in final. They were too cocky in semi. Has not happened since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

I don't care what your justification for it is (which is nonsense).

No team that loses 3 games in the same Hurling Championship season "should have" won the All Ireland. It's total bollocks.

Advertisement