Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Musk seemingly moving towards changing the name of Twitter to X, and removing the bird logo for an X.

Basically, changing some of the most recognisable branding and associated nomenclature in the world for something so incredibly bland and nonsensical.

How long until he attempts to trademark the letter 'X'?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

An X?

This cannot be serious. Why on earth would you want to replace one of the world's most recognisable, iconic digital identities with ... That? I get it's now the umbrella org but yeesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hahahaha

what a f-ing idiot

Getting rid of one of the most recognised brands in the world for just an X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

if this is true it's one of the dumbest moves I've heard in ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It has to be a wind up. I can't believe Musk is that arrogant and stupid to reset a brand as ubiquitous as Twitter - it'd be as if Coca Cola rebranded itself to .. ... I dunno, "Brown".

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's more than likely a very lame publicity stunt where he changes the name and logo for 24 hours then backtracks with a meme.

To show how strong his meme game is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

@Beasty should update the thread title accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nachouser

Well, he did name one of his kids X Æ A-Xii, so it tracks. Also, x.com now re-points to twitter.com

Which probably means an old tweet will now be an xcrete.

• Advertisement

Even when Facebook changed the name of the head company to Meta, they still kept the main Facebook/Instagram branding for the sites because of their ubiquity and recognition.

Twitter is now already part of a parent company of Musk's called X.com, but re-branding the entirety of Twitter as well as all the features names to follow suit is another step to stripping away all the things the site has going for it and making it worse.

'X' doesn't flow. 'Post an X', 'Re-X someone's X', 'Quote X another X-er's X', '(Celebrity) just X-ed an X announcing (event) on X.com'

It's just so f*cking stupid that only Musk would be smart enough to come up with it, because even a dumb person wouldn't intentionally do something that makes so little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

There were rumours he only bought Twitter to provide a data source for his AI project. Which does sound like a get out clause, but the fact he is trying to totally destroy Twitter, would add a little credence to the story.

It's more than likely is a load of old pony.

But little surprises me any more, especially when it comes to bored American billionaires with more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Allegedly not the first time (no idea who the twitter account is but the image looks legit):

https://twitter.com/parismarx/status/1683187321078792193

As for whether this is Musk just showing that his meme game is strong or just winding people up, it's important to note that in the early days of PayPal, he tried to have it rebranded to X.com but was voted off the board.

He's also spoken about wanting Twitter to be an 'everything' kind of app. Not just tweets and short clips, but everything; tweets, long posts, pics, videos, tiktok-style clips, group chats like WhatsApp etc. He wants it to be 'everything'. In which case, calling it Twitter and keeping the branding would be restrictive because people would never see it as being anything more than Twitter was.

If he does indeed want his X.com site to be 'everything', buying Twitters userbase and making them X.com users would be a reasonable move.

The issue is, he's annoyed about 90% of the userbase and turned them off whatever it is he wants to do with X.com.

I'm still convinced this is just another wind up ... but that story of PayPal is a bit of a smoking gun.

X.com though - it's not a good name. There's just no spinning it into something the common parlance would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Is it in preparation for him being an x-billionaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This dumb rebranding brings this to mind.

I would in my hairy f*ck trust "X" with anything to do with payments/banking. Jesus it's been struggling to do just Twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

As next step Elmo will change the order of the buttons at the app. Cause everyone loves change

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Man baby strikes again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

"X" - I Mean, WTF

Up 'til now i've never really, totally bought into the idea of Musk destroying Twitter: not least 'cos I've said we won't know til about 18 months+ after the initial takeover what shape the company is in to regard its future prospects. So as information like the cratered ad revenue has started to paint a better picture of where Twitter exists as a viable entity, and what effect Musk's changes + overall reputational impact has had, I think now we can start to speculate with more "certainty" - insofar as uninformed crash observers here can do.

This x.com idea though truly has the whiff of something potentially, existentially destructive to Twitter as an ongoing entity - but again, assuming it's not:

a) a massive troll

b) declared a massive troll after public rejection forces Musk to climb-down once again, saving face with a "LOL, only joking crybabies"

I just don't see a willing public ingestion of something that makes such an extreme mutation to an existing, global brand as Twitter; such a simple brand too at that. Even technophobic older demographics get what Twitter is. And if those tweets are genuine, and the intent is to pivot into another attempt at the "Do anything" business model, then I further question Twitter's future. Even Facebook - a company that from the outset intended to become an indispensable part of life itself - struggled to both get enough buy-in into that model, and to make money off of it. They're still struggling really, what with a plateaued userbase, and the VR boondoggle going nowhere fast.

It sounds like the stale brain-fart of an early 2000s young adult; I'm sure I'd have thought x.com was cool as shít back when I was in my post-teens in the early 2000s, listening to Greenday and watching Shrek... but ye gods I grew up. Now I have a whole different set of stupid ideas I think are cool. 🤣

If he bought Twitter, left it alone, then set up whatever he wants X.com to be and said "Hey, you can link your Twitter account to your X.com account", that would have been a reasonable move.

Instead he's taking Twitter and trying to morph it into something that nobody who uses Twitter, wants Twitter to do. Twitter's entire selling point was micro-blogging; very short and succinct messaging, blogging, news/info snippets, and just a few pics or a short video clip. That was the entire point of it.

As much as he clearly ended up not wanting to buy Twitter and now has no choice but to try to make something of it, all he's really ended up buying is Twitter's existing userbase. But I think once Threads from Meta really starts getting up and running, that userbase will dwindle fairly sharpish.

RIP Twitter

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He wants to re-create WeChat so it's not even a new idea.

WeChat is all pervasive in China and is used for everything.

BUT - That's only because everything else is banned in China so it has no competitors.

It does not exist outside China because when people have a choice to use all the other available apps to do all the things they want , they do not choose WeChat, because it's shite.

Ah yes.. Let's flush tens of billions of dollars down the toilet to "own the libs"..

Customer don't "own" twitter , but without them it's kinda f*cked so if he's really just "owning the libs" he's in real trouble , because without them he has no business.

I mean look at all those other hugely successful multi-billion dollar companies out there that focus on the "Right-wing douche" market .

I mean there's loads of them isn't there???

Ya know there are far cheaper ways to troll people than buying an entire corporation for more money than it's worth - then wholesale changing things to the extent you admit to the public your ad revenue is down 50%?

And it might be his company but his F'ing around with it is costing thousands of people's jobs and livelihoods - plus all the many knock-on effects mass job losses can have on any local economy (basic income spending; childcare etc. etc. etc); the tech bubble might have shrunk across the industry, but nobody has shed their workforce to the extreme extent Musk did.

But something something "libtards"? Yeah, I bet they're really crying into their blue hair rinse & avocado brunches. Think you're mistaking the tears of laughter for that of sorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I think you're watching too many clips. Time for an algorithm reset.

You get that feeling Musk wasn’t told no as a child. And now he’s a big manchild who doesn’t listen to anyone as he thinks he’s the cleverest man in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gets closer and closer to sounding like 'Evilcorp' from Mr.Robot by the day.

Advertisement