Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

He doesn't win any of the 4 biggest tournaments. The ones that get the most viewers by so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

The favourite is just a bookies thing, just to try and get bets in

He won the week before

Who else will they talk about other than the biggest golfers in the game

It's turned beyond madness

We won't agree, doesn't matter , just trying to give people an insight why all the Rory stuff annoys people. No big deal , enjoy your evening.

I think you are overthinking the majors thing

It's part of a season, it's hard to win any golf tournament

If he wins 10% of the time which is unreal, way above any other current golfer, it would be amazing to have 4 by now and it's harder to win them because if the fields

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Listen to the man, if he says that the Majors are the biggest deal to him, who are we to argue?

”Honestly, for me, the major championships are the biggest deal, so if the PGA Tour doesn’t implement it, I might still play the MLR ball, because I know that’ll give me the best chance, and the best preparation leading into the major championships,” he explained.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/reviews/kit/rory-mcilroy-golf-ball-roll-back/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

It is hard to win majors and we are now in an era of normality where they get shared around with a few players capable of picking up multiple wins but nobody dominating. Tiger was an outlier that was head and shoulders above the rest of his generation and could show that at a major to the extent that the opposition were usually beaten before a ball was hit, so there may have been an unrealistic expectation that Rory could just carry on with his own era of dominance.

Without the Tiger era and before him Nicklaus, Rory stacks up fine with other great players from the last 50 years in terms of major and big wins. Watson had 8, Faldo and Mickelson had 6, Seve had 5, as has Kopeka now but they are the only ones with more majors on the board.

That said, Rory might be one of those players who won his majors early like Seve who by 27 had won 4 of his 5 majors, and the longer the gap since his last win, the harder it will be to get the next one. I do believe that he will win another major but it might be when expectations have dimmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭boardise

Sorry Ibunnae but if anyone needs to change their tone I'd suggest it's your worthy self. Plus,your post at 5.42 ranks as one of the silliest and most laughable I've read on here ...and that's saying something.

It could also be the case that punters make plenty profit from backing McIlroy for top 5 and top 10 -given his remarkable consistency.

He's said some amount over the years

He also said he doesn't care about the us open or the open only the masters

He also said the Ryder cup was a load of pants

He also said he really cares about being world number one

He loves the fed ex cup

He doesn't care about money

Or did tiger care about PGA tour wins, damn why did he win so many then or being world number 1

• Advertisement

I do think there's too much hype about the majors. Yes they have a degree of importance and can act as a useful benchmark but they constitute only about 10 % of all tournaments and many top class golfers never succeed in winning one -cf. Colin Montgomery ,Lee Westwood etc.

The reason the McIlroy story attracts so much debate is because it has become a total enigma contrary to all expectations . Golf fans and experts alike are intrigued and racking their brains to try to figure out what the reason(s) might be . On any scale of probability measures Rory should have managed to bag maybe two or three majors out of the last 40 given a) his previous record b)his consistent high ranking and c) his frequent spells of high quality play leading to d) his many victories in other tournaments.

It's quite the conundrum but such situations crop up in many other sports too .e.g. Mayo footballers , Chicago Cubs- no World Series for 107 years till 2016 , Gordon Richards -no Derby until he was 49 and on the brink of retirement etc. I'm sure people can think of many more.

Unusual winning/losing streaks are an intrinsic part of the attraction of sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

The reasons why Rory attracts so much attention are simple:

1. he hits it a mile, which we all love.
    2. he hits greens from everywhere, so it looks like he has a birdie putt literally every time he stands up.
    3. he can charge from 8 shots off the field. Which is exciting.
    4. he can throw it away from 8 shots off the field. Which is exciting and infuriating.

the only players like him in the game are Scheffler (who is too robotic for anyone to enjoy watching… you know it’s not natural and it’s not going to last for long ) and Speith, who tends to play himself too far out of contention these days.

He’s box office pure and simple because following Rory is more fun than following anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Rory is quite mercurial in nature and plays in fits and starts . He plays phenomenal golf ,makes a few birdies and becomes overconfident , makes a mistake and drops shots and the head goes down particularly in majors which he really wants to win . He needs to smooth out the edges and find a happy medium ...there are signs lately that this is starting to happen and I feel he will win more Majors as he grows older and matures .

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

This exactly. I don’t think I’ve ever backed a golfer on the nose, always each way.

So if Rory was priced at the 150/1 no hoper most people in here wisely say AFTER the event that he should be then his consistent top 10 finishes would be paying out at 30/1. But did you ever see a bookie on a bicycle? No because they’re not stupid.

Rory is consistently top of the betting list because:

His world ranking

His performances on the regular tour events

His performances in the majors

The fact he has won 4 majors previously (prevalency of this decreasing with the years)

Too many people look at golf like it’s a hurling match where there’s 1 winner and 1 loser. In golf there’s 1 winner and 149 “losers”. It’s hard to win.

Rory has a win percentage that makes him an all time great (10%), that’s an indisputable fact but it also means 90% of the time he tees it up he “loses”.

People just don’t appreciate the amount of good golf it takes to get yourself into the top 10 in majors so consistently. It’s incredible.

Think the stat going around is 20 top 10s since his last major win. So that’s 20/39 majors (think he missed 1 through injury) he has been in the top 10. That’s incredible golf.

There’s been times when he wasn’t really in the running to win but finished top 10 (though this would apply to plenty of other players top 10 finishes too), there’s been times when he really should have won and there’s been times in between those 2 extremes. But what that record of top 10s show is that he performs consistently very well in golf’s biggest events.

I’m a big Rory fan as is probably obvious from this reply. He’s far from above criticism just to be clear but it is also clear he is incredibly under appreciated for his achievements.

If you just took his last 9 years without a major as his whole career he would probably have done enough to be called the best ever without a major. Then you add back his 4 majors he has actually won and it elevates him to a whole other level.

As regards my opinion to where it’s going “wrong”, (wrong being very relative) it’s fairly clearly the putter I think. Without looking at stats I think he’s a good short putter (6ft and in) and he’s a good pace putter from distance but he doesn’t make enough from 6-20ft. He needs to find a way to make 1 or 2 more of these per round. The fact he’s such a good ball striker just ramps up the pressure on this part of his game as this range are generally the ones he has for birdies several times a round.

Every player who comes along... It's oh they will win a few majors.. there aren't enough to go round

He won his share early on

He was the tiger replacement, the media tour etc needed a new tiger so they built him up

He has so much moreoney because of it

He ain't tiger though, he's not a big enough narcarcist

Rory each way is awful bet unless your betting big

I think it will have been 10 years by next tee off

I think we should change the thread title to the question everyone is asking , Rory McIlroy , Will he win another major?", I don't think 4 time major winner is representing the discussion at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

For Rory to win more majors and I believe he will be needs to:

1. Improve his putting further

- specifically his putting consistency over 4 rounds of majors

- & his putting from 5-20 ft

2. Improve his wedge play further

- especially his pitches from 80 -150 yards out

Tbf to him he had Improved these elements of his game to a new level this season but unfortunately his putting has not been consistently good enough at any major over 4 rounds for 9 years now. That's the biggest work on imho.

He gets that right, with the rest of his game at current levels and he'll win a few more majors yet. I'm looking forward to seeing him do it too!!

For Rory to win more majors, and I really believe he eventually will, he needs to:

1. Improve his putting even more

- specifically his putting consistency over 4 rounds of majors

- & his putting from 5-20 ft

And,

2. Improve his wedge play even further

- especially his pitches & wedges from 80 -140 yards out

Tbf to him, he had Improved these elements of his game to a new level this season, but unfortunately his putting has not been consistently good enough at any major over 4 rounds for nearly 9 years now. That's the biggest work on imho.

He gets that right, with the rest of his game maintained at current levels, and he'll win a (good) few more majors yet imho. I'm looking forward to seeing him do it too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s actually incorrect in terms of expected value in betting.

I don’t know the maths exactly but in the long run, even if betting small, you want to be backing your short odds players each way anyway. Your long odds players you make more money in the long run backing them win-only.

Like I said though, I can’t remember the exact maths behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭munster87

MC at Augusta

T-7 in the PGA

2nd in the US Open

T-6 in the Open

Decent major season for Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 38,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Im putting this one down to the curse of winning the week before as I said in advance of this week.

However I fully believe all the below is necessary to ensure he crosses the line in more majors.

You need a caddy that can try to discuss shots with him. Suggest you might be playing too little or too much club, suggest you play a sensible shot on difficult holes instead of going at the pin and risking bogey or worse. A caddy that can read putts and discuss it with him.

A new putting coach. I've always liked Faxon as a golfer and as a commentator but he hasn't improved Rory on the greens.

A new sports psychologist, if he has one, to get him focused on majors, have more hunger and belief and work on forgetting the last shot no matter if it's world class or really bad.

Excuse my cynicism, as I've c read your previous posts on this thread for my sins, but do you want to change the title of this thread so you can ignore yet another aspect of Rory's achievements as Ireland's greatest ever golfer, and the best golfer on the planet looking over the past 15 years!?

His majors were so long ago. They aren't really the topic of discussion anymore. Will he win another one is a more apt thread title. I don't think he will at all at all. Some on here 4 times a year say he will. It's amusing.

Thought so!!

(I.e. That you wish to airbrush the recording of Rory's majors, and no doubt, that he's Ireland's greatest golfer, and the worlds best golfer adjudged over the past 15 years, etc, etc...).

P.s. Fwiw, if Rory had not won any of his 4 majors that he's already won to date, I would still be massively excited by his golf, and his prospects of winning majors in the coming years.

Why?

- Well for those who wish to see the evidence, Rory has consistently earned being number 1-3 in world golf for several years now, he's been in the top 10 for over a decade iirc, he features in the top 10 in practically every major he tees it up in now & normally finishes contending seriously in the top 5, he wins the fed ex Cup every other year, and on form he's visibly the best golfer & ball striker in the game.

How naysayers like you deliberately ignore this obvious evidence of his excellence & pedigree is a source of both bewilderment & bemusement tbh.

But, ibunnae, there's no accounting for some folk!!

Man you have gone to far in the love in. He has been an unbelievable golfer , no doubt Irelands best. But there is something wrong that he hasn't won a major in ten years , he is MORE than talented enough , why isn't he doing it? Most of his fanboys and girls have even copped on at this stage he doesn't have the mentality when it comes to the majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

In fairness, almost all top golfers spend 95%+ of their time not winning, so its a fairly safe call to say someone won't win. You will of course be correct way more often than you'll be wrong if you constantly say a player won't win.

I get that, of course it isn't like other sports. But 10 years for his talent is madness. I just don't get why he is talked up before every major as winning it , it's becoming a bit old at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,006 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think that nearly every poster is a little right about Rory. He hits great drives, he hits some brilliant and some terrible pitches, some brilliant and some terrible putts. In essence he's a golfer and every golfer is inconsistent to a degree. Will he win another major? Who knows.

Advertisement