Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Open - Royal Liverpool (Hoylake)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

People be watching the telly mate

Golf is setup to be won on Thursday Friday sat

Gets harder to make up ground on the sunday

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The atmosphere has been pretty poor the few days I've been here. Weather today was absolutely brutal but rarely nothing more than polite applause all round. I was in the grandstand for when Harman came in and was a lukewarm cheer and applause.

You have a funny appreciation for sport, Limerick put in a master class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Thought overall that the majors were very poor this year or lacking something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

For me it’s the change in the schedule. The major season feels very rushed or something now. The PGA should be back in its traditional slot of august. Move the open back to very early July and the world is goof again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

When Hartman was crossing the footbridge from 18th to the scorers hut all you could hear was kids shouting “give me your hat” and “give me your glove.”

Its sickening enough to see that rubbish at soccer games with it infecting golf as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's been the case for years. Actually remember at the Irish Open in lahinch, kids asking away as normal then some mother asked for a putter. Couldn't stop laughing at it

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭patob

The booing today for Harman was disgraceful and not like the Open galleries I remember. The American style shouts after shots is getting more common too unfortunately.

Been to a few Irish Opens and two Opens over the past decade and hadn't seen it happen at any of them - but Shane in Portrush was really the only time we hovered near the exit from 18th green so maybe just weren't in the areas that it happens.

Think he's disliked a bit for his off course hobbies. Seems he's a big hunter and often posts photos online of himself with animals he's killed. I had a quick look and it's fairly horrible stuff alright. Nothing to do with golf obviously but not sure how someone gets enjoyment from that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

Agree I think there to close together. Like next Major (Masters) is not to next April now thats 9 months away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I thought the Open was poor this year TBH - effectively over on the Friday.

I'm sure the camera operators were doing their best but with so many of the shots yesterday, you had no clue where the ball had landed.

McIlroy remains so frustrating to watch, consistently gets himself in such great positions but his short irons and putting once again let him down badly. He also didn't seem to catch any breaks at all.

in reality, he had a grand putting performance and short irons one too, that's why he was t6

people don't seem to get what a good put of a bad put or a good approach shot actually looks like

he had maybe 2 putts he should have sunk across the weekend

harman was exceptional with the putter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd say there were several factors in the booing and Harman's apparent lack of popularity. For a lot of golf fans, his style of play this week was like watching paint dry. People want to see massive drives, "bomb and gouge", implosions and lads getting angry and swearing.

Also, he is short (looks much less than the claimed 5 foot 7) small framed and bald, if he was a normal Joe in a normal job he'd struggle a lot with women and getting respect from others. Even as a famous athlete, he might be judged negatively for his hunting activities while another athlete might not be.

Loads of comments online about his height and i've already heard some today in real life "OMG he's soooo short! And he acts weird!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So at last got to an Open - kinda crazy it was my first one , but I never really fancied it due to crowds , and reported poor viewing experience. I just loved the old BBC coverage - and have admired what Sky have done - if over done at this point.

But was a case a friend decided I was going and I went for the ride. And I'm glad I did , I've been watching the event religiously for over 30 years , and absolutely love Links golf and the event.

Was there on Saturday and was genuinely predicted as near called off on YR weather - so perhaps Benny here , is right , wake up, look out and take on the day as it is. Either way, the guys I were with, were all seasoned golfers and could handle the rain etc - but it was a dampener on a first time experience. Woke up looked out and said - that doesn't look bad at all.

It has been mentioned before the logistics of an Open can be tricky - lots of people getting to a remote place at the one time - but the train service was excellent - funny to see golfers walking in full golf gear in the streets of Liverpool with umbrellas - a city known for music and soccer and nightlife , not golf. A few funny comments (from me included) - but it is also a city of fantastic humor and character.

I kind of knew from other tournaments and modern life - but security is fairly intense when you get there , good to see , but a reminder of a world in a mess. You get in and suddenly there is John Rahm and Hatton hitting balls in front of you , it is a surreal experience. We know we are not good at golf in reality here - but it is amazing to see the ball strike , power , accuracy , balance - and most important for me , focus.

I know golf is a global game - but it was fascinating to see the mix of cultures and accents and I'll be honest , some serious wealth on display. The full scale of the event and the industry is on display - the scale of golf now is amazing. A game that when I was looking in at from outside , was nerdy , for old men and dark rooms - and big houses. It kind of still is at The Open level - but things have changed outside in the golf world.

And I have to give massive credit to the R&A - they, after a slow start of like, 140 years - have looked around and said , golf needs more diversity , be more fun , less intimidating , less quiet please and formal. But, I will add, be careful what you 1/2 wish for.

The amount the game has gone towards You Tube and fashion and image and frat boys and celebrity - is perhaps getting a little far from what The Open was for some. About tradition and history and respect and honor - I'm not sure where I stand, I've kind of one leg either side of the fence - and that can be an uncomfortable position for a man at times.

Golf and the LIV thing has been a disaster for many - but it was amazing to see that behind all the money and bullshit - a major is what it is all about - the thing that can cause you pain and fear and edge of seat stuff - is a major at the end of it all.

I loved the course - a style of course that has grown on me over the years as you play more flat links courses - when you play an Open venue the key is the quality of the surfaces - apparently the course was not played on for 6 months - amazing. Lots of highlights , seeing how good a ball striker likes of Young is , seeing how class Rory looks and sadly how much he misses puts by. Seeing how bad Spieth is off the tee - and seeing how cool Scott looks in real life. I don't like Hatton's carry on , but he is a character and you need the characters in golf.

The course set up was interesting - Hoylake seems a very wealthy course ( I mean is) , they were lucky to have the land to change things a bit , but how long some of the holes are - are a reminder of the problems the game face , the position of the bunkers in this new set up is lethal off the back tee , and you are left with big calls off the tee - short or long , both have pros and cons. If wind was up this week it would be nearly an over par winner. The R&A would not have enjoyed the 20 odd under at the home of golf last year.

Back to the event itself , the scale of the corporate side, the merchandising side was a sight to see. The idea of sitting in a VIP lounge when golf is on, on the course is a bit odd to me - but I'm sure when you are drinking champagne and sitting down in the dry - you can soon forget the golf. As a venue I got fairly good spots to see and moved around a bit , but can see how the flatness was causing an issue at times. The grandstands are great , but limits your day. The gaps between play is crazy , and then add in the slow play , you don't see much golf unless you put the work in. It is amazing to see how slow they are in person. On Tv , you don't see that . The game needs to change for years , but we have talked about it too much. I guess the pros would say this is the most important event of their life , give us a break and we don't care. I do admire how most of them can ignore the sound and increasing noise of a modern sports event .

One thing I'm very surprised at , is the amount of drinking. I like a drink myself , but loads of middle aged men on a day out and genuinely blind drunk. Can see why the messy behavior comes in. But can be a case of a very small few ruining the fun for everyone. But the R&A and the commercial side are pushing the food and beverage side massively - The whole thing wouldn't be far off a rock concert with golf.

The whole day was absolutely fantastic - you can watch way more golf now on the big screen at event too - and to be honest , you hardly have to watch a shot on course to enjoy the day. Not joking , I think some people may not even watch golf on the course (Lol).

But - I did the full experience in a one day trip , that to be honest is way too little - you need two days to do everything,.

I had a pair of binoculars that was a gift from my father a long time ago, for my first Irish Open - it was a lovely reminder of the past and the gift of golf to a child. The wonder , the excitement , the anticipation of seeing and hearing pros in real life, when young and now older - the prisim of life.

We got invited to a house party in Hoylake after - and that was a great time mixing with some of the best people in the world - Liverpool is a place close to my heart (a troubled but brilliant place) . It was only right that my first open was there.

So as they say in the R&A - see all in Royal Troon, the 152nd Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Jeez I dunno about that. I saw him miss two from inside 4ft & I didn't nearly watch all his play.

Also he didn't get many (any?) long putts, yes loads of nearly misses & good lags, but that doesnt cut it when your trying to win a major. You must putt exceptionally well, & Rory currently doesn't appear capable of that level of excellent putting performance, consistently through 4 rounds of a major unfortunately.

Also he seemed to be too wayward with his driving this major also, too often to really contend imho, as he seemed to be in the rough a lot, far too often to win a major iirc.

Would like to see season stats over last 5 years - but I do think Rory is way less accurate off the tee now ?

Just reading up more about Harman - I'd say there are a lot of people seething that he won. Small, bald guy from the Deep South who hunts (with a bow so he is far from a weakling) and drives a big truck. Oh and he had won 29 million in prize money before dominating the field this week in one of the most boring Opens for years. .

"I'm gonna go high-left on that lung" - not something you'll often hear from a top golfer!

• Advertisement

he got a few for sure, but the chances of getting a long putt are actually quite low

I think saturday he missed 2 for sure, the other days he was decent

The ryder cup etc have spoilt us there, but thats match play and they are typically it goes in or you lose the hole, so going long etc doesn't matter as much

take Cameron Smith at the open last year, he won that open on the Friday with an all time best putting performance

a lot of it is luck on the day

small and bald is it?

very few of the pros playing at the open havent won daycent money

Not my thing - but he lives in an Apartment refreshing .

And hunting is just part of various cultures. I like guys who make it from different backgrounds and who make it to the top. We have enough where, daddy gave them an option of a university , placement or just go pro and try golf for a few years.

He held off a massive field in horrible conditions. Tough enough character, fair play to him.

he might not live in an apartment at this stage...

Couldn't care less about what he does in his private life - but watching him address and then take the club away 13 times before finally hitting it should be enough to turn anyone against him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Just typically uninformed then!

Go research factory farming.....I would hunt if it was a realistic possibility to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Bit harsh to say he'd struggle with the women, the lad could be an absolute cassanova for all we know

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Some very odd comments mentioning a couple of times that he's small and bald and would struggle with women "in the real world".

I don't see it as being harsh and it is not meant as an insult. It's well established that women want tall, broad shouldered men with good hairlines. Taller men are also looked up to by other men, sports fans etc. A high percentage of male CEOs are tall.

A short man can mitigate much of that by being a famous golfer with 30 million in career earnings but the instinct to ridicule him for his height remains. E.g. there are comments on social media about how Harman hunts to "compensate" for his lack of masculinity/height - a taller man would not get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

He is married with kids? 😂

Advertisement