Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

Hi all, just looking for some advise regarding an EV purchase. I currently own a 28 Ioniq which I'm selling Thursday. My plan was to buy a 38 ioniq but have had my head turned by the id3 mentioned here a couple of pages back(24k 201 black pro version). The Ioniq Im looking at is a 22 white with cloth for 23k, the slightly slower fast charge doesn't bother me on the 38 ioniq but the longer range on the Id3 is really impressing me! Any one think I should go for the Id3? (BTW the hyundai has the 5year warranty don't know what the story with warranty is on the Id3)

TIA!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

don't know what the story with warranty is on the Id3

3yrs and 90k km's is the VW warranty. Its actually 2yrs unlimited mileage an then you get the 3rd year added if you keep the mileage below 90k km's so if its already above 90k km's you only have a 2yr warranty on the ID.3.

Having said that, they are reliable so I dont think you'd have any particular worries.

id3 mentioned here a couple of pages back(24k 201 black pro version)

Is it really a 201? I dont think that's possible. They came out in ~ Sep 2020 so a 202 would be the oldest available.

Any one think I should go for the Id3? 

I think its down to your own preference really. Both cars will do the job fine so I think its your own decision really.

Which one do you prefer to look at and actually drive?

Apologies! Yeah it's a 212. I love the Ioniq just afraid I'll find the id3 smaller in the back when transporting the kids and like the peace of mind of having a couple of years warranty on the car! I'll try to get a look at both this week so.

Thanks for the advise on the warranty on the Id3, didn't no that and it means this car is effectively out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

ID.3 has 8 year/160k km battery warranty and 3 year/90k km bumper to bumper warranty. I think ID.3 is larger inside that I28 and seats are a good bit higher. It is also slightly shorter, boot is way better shape and a bit more ground clearance. They typically have no heat pump so winter performance is not as good as Ioniq, but larger battery can compensate it. If you go with ID.3 make sure it has all recalls done as it is a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ID.3 is considerably smaller in the back than Ioniq. If you have 2 kids, that's fine. But with 3 kids I wouldn't go ID.3

• Advertisement

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking alright. I only have 2 kids but like to have options! I suppose I can't say for sure till I eyeball it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭eagerv

Very much a personal choice. We had both an ID.3 and an Ioniq 28 for about a year. For four adults I think the ID.3 was a little roomier than the Ioniq, mainly because you are sitting higher with good leg and foot room in the rear. But the Ioniq was a cm or two wider overall on back seat, which would make a difference if carrying 3 in the back.

Boot better in the ID.

Check space in the newer Ioniq 38kWh. the battery does apparently raise the front seats, so may be less foot room in rear and less comfortable in front if tall.

Also worth considering that the Ioniq is probably about 15% more efficient, but the ID.3 is a nicer and more sporty drive imo. Both very refined cars, the VW probably a little more so. And less beeps and bongs on the VW..😉

I've 3 in the back of mine all the time (not small kids either). Its not an issue.

If you have 3 grown up teenagers/adults then different story. Not many cars in that segment can comfortably take 3 adults in the back.

it means this car is effectively out of warranty

So the car you are looking at has more than 90k km's on it?

Are you buying from a VW dealer? Maybe negotiate some warranty from them to ease your mind there?

I guess if your kids are in between kids seats and pre-teen, it's fine. 3 adults comfortably in the back is something only the largest cars can do, certainly not Ioniq. But my 3 teenagers were fine in it. I guess before you buy you'd try the car with the whole family to make sure. Personally I was disappointed in the rear space of the ID.3 (advertised as having the inside space of a Passat - which was clearly a lie), it was the main reason I cancelled my reservation back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

For me this claim by VW almost falls into the 'self charging' category for attempting to deliberately mislead the the uninitiated. In their defense I can only assume they are referring to the generous knee space for the 2 reasonably sized rear passengers

Yeah I think someone measured the rear seat in ID.3 and it was something like 10cm narrower than in a Passat. That makes the car at least a full segment smaller by that definition alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 zozimus

I was going to recommend a Kona 64kWh until you said that :) Great range but not so great on the space in the back. I regularly have two kids in the back though and so long as there's not a lot of luggage it has been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

New Kona, is wider and longer, bigger boot also, saw one for the 1st time over weekend, EV version pricing,should be out soon, but larger battery version is likely to be close to 44k ish.

There is a review of the non EV version here:

https://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/Hyundai/Kona/Kona_Hybrid_(2023)/2180/12561/2023-Hyundai-Kona-Hybrid-(2023)-review.html

That's insane, that's well specced Model Y / poor specced VW ID.4 money

142 Model S 85 Performance, asking €25k

This is my old car, I sold it early last year. The new owner has put up well over 60k km since then without issue. This is a well sorted car, I made sure everything important was replaced under warranty during my ownership. Awesome and fun performance (0-60 in 3.9s) without the faster but soulless all wheel drive of all the more recent versions of this car

Full spec, all the expensive options ticked like Ultra High Fidelity audio, carbon fibre everything, 22kW AC charging, CCS upgrade, etc.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s-p85-performance-model/32954960

Ferrari performance with initial outlay and even total cost of ownership likely less than a new Toyota Corolla 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Did you have any issues with the flush door handles, and if so where they replaced under warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

the usual warranty work has been carried out like door handles (from ad)

Of course. Iirc 3 door handles were replaced under warranty. The pretty unique thing about Tesla is that when they find out a part isn't really up to scratch, they develop a better version that is backwards compatible. The latest gen of the door handles are far more robust. And if they fail now even on a Tesla out of warranty, Tesla charge you for the part, but provide the labour for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

@25k, what has the car cost him in around 18 months?

Stay Free

• Advertisement

I don't know, obviously back in early 2022 all cars were hugely overvalued, that's no longer the case. So he had a decent chunk of depreciation. But apart from tyres, there was zero maintenance and very cheap fuel, tax, insurance and tolls. So I'd say it will have been a lot cheaper per km than any other similar age luxury full size car. Petrol, diesel, hybrid, plug in or fully electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭User1998

How do you know theres been zero maintenance? You also mention the new owner has put up 60k without issue. Have you been chatting to him?

Is €25k a good price for one of these?

Yes, we've kept in contact. And yes imho €25k for a Performance Model S is huge value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

And that's the donedeal price! We all know they accept a few K less if there's cash in your hand

Utter bargain there for someone who can jump in and wave the cash (or Revolut)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭User1998

Seller seems to have reduced the price from €30k and states ‘no offers’. But there’s always room for some negotiation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

I see at least two Model S ads on Donedeal, including the one above, that mentions "battery replaced" by Tesla. Apologies if a silly question - I guess they are talking about THE big battery that powers the car? Probably replaced under warranty (which google says is 8 years / 150k miles, but not sure if that's for Ireland or US). Is the end of warranty period the reason for price drop I wonder.

Yes, the big HV / traction battery. And on all but the most recent Model S, the warranty was 8 years unlimited mileage. So the full 8 years. So if you buy a 2017 Model S with a million miles on it, it still has 2 years of battery and drivetrain warranty.

If the battery was replaced in recent years, the risk of it failing again is minimal. By far the most common reason for failure was water ingress, which was later sorted. Also even if the car is a write off, the battery modules (16 of them I think in an early Model S 85), are still worth around $900 each on eBay!

Battery replaced (with evidence) is a must on pre-facelift cars, otherwise I wouldn't touch one. Unless of course it is dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Raoul

So would there be any warranty with the car then? Or as the previous poster said it is out of warranty?

• Advertisement

On which, the 2014 Tesla Model S? No. It is over 8 years old now, so zero warranty left.

Advertisement