Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rassie Erasmus is into hurling now I see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I've had a very quick skim through the 21 and 22 yearbooks on the Kilkenny GAA website and see no mention of any scoring stats from the club championship let alone anything that mentions John Walsh as top scorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Village87

I thought Tommy Walsh had a very good game yesterday. Full back line was not the problem, as I stated yesterday before the match we needed unbelievable game from Huw Lawlor and we got that, we couldn't have asked for much more from TJ. Eoin Cody did his bit, electric in the first half. We have a massive problem from positions 5-12, of the top 7-8 teams in the country we are the weakest in this area. Our full back and full forward line always turn up. Some posts are not happy with my comment on Fogarty, well he is just not up to it, his first touch is poor for IC level, since Micheal Fennelly and others retired we need lads like Fogarty to lead the team but he has been very poor, and is reflected with no All Irelands since 2015. Fogarty and and some of the other players of that age group with the exception of TJ have just not performed since some of the greats retired.

That must be John Walsh posting that stuff himself, he would be blown out of it yesterday not up to that level unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1609

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Lot of the usual comments on here from certain posters, to be expected I guess. It's widely agreed that the game was lost in the space between the Limerick 45 and the Kilkenny 45 yesterday in the second half. There are a few obvious reasons for that.

Limerick won almost every single ball that came down in that space in the second half. Their field was hugely impressive although I was disappointed in our lads not being able to at least break some of those balls and compete better on the ground.

In the semi final when it was going against us the sideline made changes and we started putting the ball through the lines more. Cian Kenny for example did a lot of good work there when he came on that day. Yesterday we didn't do this nearly enough (I only remember once in the second half). Instead, after losing multiple long puck outs we ended up going short to Huw who then just went long again.

Too many of our big players didn't perform at all on the day. Adrian, Walter, Billy and John Donnelly were almost anonymous and Conor had a poor first half although as others have said, moving him to wing back was a move that backfired and personally I would have put him in midfield the second half.

Limericks shooting in the second half was off the charts. Almost every shot went over the bar, no matter the angle or distance. It was phenomenal and almost impossible to defend against.

Our bench had no impact today whereas in the semi final they turned the game around for us. Some of that for me was down to tactical mistakes on the sideline which hopefully they will learn from.

This Limerick team is going to be regarded as the greatest side ever and for two years running we have been the second best side in the country so we shouldn't be too despondent. However, whenever TJ does decide to call it a day, that's an absolutely massive hole in the team. He's such a leader for those lads in everything he does.

To end on a positive note, once again yesterday Huw Lawlor showed what a class act he is. He's definitely the future leader of the team for me. It was also good to see Tom Phelan come of age, hopefully he can push on now and become a more permanent fixture in the side. Eoin Cody showed how much he has matured in recent years. Add in Mikey Butler, Deegan, Blanchfield, Mossy, we have lads of character and steel to build on. Hopefully some of the younger chaps can come in to stake a claim next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Oh hello again forchange, you must have missed posting on here over the last few months when we were winning games. It clearly made your blood boil.

Post edited by kentu on

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

IMO we need a major rebuild and Lyng will need to be ruthless. Fogarty Walter Buckley and Hogans time is up. They are not going to get better and will hinder the inevitable blooding of younger players.They were great servants and no one should criticise them IMO. They gave everything they could. Will TJ continue? I think if he calls time no one would blame him. I hope he stays on as it would be great for younger players to have him there.

You are correct about 5-12 we are very average there. Carey and Blanch back will solve 2 positions but CB will need addressing as IMO KK will not win an AI with Reid there. Midfield is an area where we have no one and Mullen needs to go back into the half forward line. With Mullen back there we would still need to find 3 more forwards. Except Cody and TJ all the other forwards blow more cold than hot.

Lyng will rightly take some criticism as IMO that team was wrong from the start yesterday. I dont like dummy teams and I would think Limk would not have changed how they prepared for the game.It wasnt the reason for our defeat as we were not good enough in the end. The ref didnt do us any favours at times but overall Limk would prob say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1609

Some poster called Rosita on the main All Ireland thread being fairly obnoxious about Kilkenny. Real petty kick you when you're down posts. Loving Donal og Cusack. Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hurlaway

Wasn't a word out of it for the last 3, 4 weeks came out from under its bridge very quickly once it knew we had lost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Well you directed that at me and I didn`t call you a know all or a spoofer. In fact as a long time reader of this thread I already know you "have a fair idea what`s going on." A problem I would have is why are you coming on here with this information in the days leading into an All Ireland final? You basically announced with authority that Blanchfield was out and two days later he was named on a dummy team. Yesterday morning you announced that Wally was starting at wing forward.

I have no doubt you have KK`s best interests at heart but you are doing us no favours being Biddy behind the local shop counter with all the latest gossip. Especially when the gossip is correct.

It made no difference yesterday but it could in future if a result came down to inches. If was I Derek Lyng I would want to know how the thought processes of my selectors got to appear on Boards.ie pretty much in real time.

Post edited by tibruit on

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭me89

Wally was in the parade at the very back and was in the presidential line up so you might need to come up with another theory

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Arsito is a poster with a repetitive and restricted interest in the general superiority of 'Munster'. Not always fully evidenced.

Best to ignore and avoid.

Someone asked above about TJ. I think he will call it a day. What did he see yesterday to persuade him that there is another AI to be had ? We have been privileged to have him.

If he was I missed him. I was some distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Well done to limerick yesterday a serious team. Dissapointed the end score was a little harsh. A great shift in the first 32 mins but Lynch starting to come alive and the lead was back to 3 at half time.The stats from the 40th min to the finish is very dissapointing. I think it was 19 points to 5. They completely strangled us and scruff had to go long and we got absolutely murdered and after the progress we made it was dissapointing we had no plan B with puckouts.

If you had to tell us before the match Morrissey,gillane,Hegarty and flannagan would be relatively quite we would of took it but Casey went to town in the 2nd half. To be fair the point under the hogan was outrageous.Like us in our prime they have so many stars. We did fade badly in the second half and that's dissapointing.

We all knew we needed mossy,Billy Ryan,mullen,Donnelly to deliver and 3 of them were replaced. Tom can be proud of his performance. He should of gave tj that pass in the 2nd half but he worked fierce hard. When we tired we gave away frees that Byrnes punished us with.

Inevitably 4 or 5 lads will call it at day and they owe us nothing. Time catches up with everyone. We will be hoping ballyhale won't win the county final and tj can give it another go next year but if he goes we will be forever grateful.

Unfortunately the switches didn't work before the game. Wally drove 2 wides he will be very dissapointed with. Fogarty got a big hit before half time. It's a long way away now but the likes of Clifford,drennan,dunne and these lads will have to be presisted with. I really liked the look of jeff neary.Hopefully blanchfield and Carey will come back as wing backs and deegan pushes up and Adrian goes into attack.

The dogs on the street knew David blanchfield had a punctured lung it was well published.im not a doctor but there's absolutely no way he could of being passed fit yesterday. I heard it from a good few people Saturday Walter was in and Fogarty moved back. All of us here are hurlers on the ditch and alot of scutter goes on here so if u want me not to say anything anymore thats grand you could probably mute me like a few lads here need to be muted. Do you think Paul kinnerk was here looking for information or takes any of this serious?

I'll be in town this evening if anyone wants to meet me I'll give them my number. Hopefully the lads get a good turn out. They've put in a huge effort and it's not easy take another defeat. 4 defeats is very tough but we will rise again .

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭KK36

It's something that has bugged me in recent times. One time you would never know exactly who was playing where until 30 seconds before throw in. Nowadays, all the changes are known and all over the county and beyond by 10pm Friday night. There's a leak in the roof somewhere and either the slate needs to be fixed or replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

With the dust beginning to settle on yesterdays match the disappointment is still fairly raw! We put ourselves in such a great position but unfortunately couldn’t get over the line, when Limerick started making their push after half time I thought maybe we had stemmed the tide with Phelan’s point and Deegan goal but in fairness like the great champions they are the stood up and found a way to win and they deserve great credit for that!

In the first half I think we got a lot right and our backs were well on top and but for a few mistakes on our side could have limited them 5/6 points at half time which shows how well the back were doing. Up front while working very hard just weren’t clicking and we missed some easy enough chances that should have had us further ahead.

the second they came out very fast and looked like the tide was turning early but as I said we got the second goal and a couple of points that looked like we were finding a way to stay in the game but once they went ahead it was looking inevitable and they never looked like losing from then on.

I think this could be a good point for Derek to move on some of the older players and start to bring in, not just younger players but players who are performing well with their clubs. The likes of Fogarty, P Walsh, Wally and Buckley should be thanked for their great service to Kilkenny through the years but I think now is the time to move on. I’ve tried to give Billy Ryan the benefit of the doubt but I think it’s very hard to see what he offers, he just doesn’t offer enough at this standard. The likes of Mossy (played too far out from goals again) and Donnelly have been around long enough to be making bigger impacts than they are, I wouldn’t be dropping either of them but I don’t think they should be guaranteed starters either. Mullen was poor yesterday but I think we need him back in the forwards next year.

I’ve been in 2 minds to post this next part or not I genuinely think one of our biggest problems is the goal keeper. I think Murphy is a great shot stopper and under a high ball but him puckouts are terrible, in the second half yesterday there were at least 5 times when one of the forwards had worked their way into space for an easy 50/60 yard puckout but Murphy ignored them and lumped the ball down on Byrnes and Hayes instead, after one you could see Donnelly going mental with him. We all have him the benefit of the doubt the last few years that it was Cody instructing him to go long but it’s apparent that he either isn’t capable or doesn’t want to go long!

It’s all doom and gloom but their were lots of positives yesterday too, Huw was outstanding again yesterday and he’s become a real leader on this team, I thought Tommy Walsh was excellent yesterday, the much maligned Paddy Deegan was excellent took his goal brilliantly, I wonder would a move to half forward suit us and him next year? Theirs a lot of talk about our struggles but I think from 2-7 we’re ok, especially with Blanch and Carey to come back. Our problems are from 8-15 where I think we struggle! TJ is TJ and it’s up to himself if he wants to stick around for another year he owes us nothing at this stage! But other than Cody we have no out and out scoring threat up there maybe if Mullen is pushed up that will help but then we need to look at midfield because we’ve regularly been beaten there the last few years. It’s time to start loosing the younger players and give the likes of Clifford, Dunne, Drennan and Denis Walsh a chance to stake their claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Have to agree with most of that.

Blanchfield and carey will hopefully strengthen up the half back line. Its 8-12 that Lyng will need to address. Not sure if Mossy is a centre forward but himself, walter and donnelly didnt have their best games yesterday. Walter would have been far better coming in wing forward as it could have been a trump card to try to push Limerick back.

As is said above we need to get Billy Drennan, Timmy Clifford, Gearoid Dunne etc up to speed in preparation for next year. You would imagine Lyng and his team will spend the time going to championship matches around the county over the next few months to see who is hurling close to the level required.

Not sure who else could be in line for a call up and Im not blowing a boro trumpet here but surely Harry Shine, Liam Moore and Cillian Hackett would be worth calling into the squad for next year. 1 midfielder and 2 forwards. Maybe Im wrong but we need to bring in a few more. Any other lads worthy of a call up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

If you brought in that you can only handpass off the hurl or double on it. That would end throwing!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Have to agree about Murphy. He is a great shot stopper but his distribution is not upto it at this level. Would he get the Jersey in any other team with AI aspirations.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Hard to know what to say really..I thought we were going very well for 30 mins but was worried going in at half time having done all the hurling and still only 3 ahead..lynch really turned the tide from 30mins on

.too many of our lads had little or no impact..bringing on the older lads that had a great impact against clare didn't work at all yesterday..

we Will surely see a few retirements

..hopefully the club championship will throw up a few new faces..

We did a lot of things right yesterday but were just beaten by a better team

The way the championship is currently structured we will be in the shake up every year whether we are good enough or not..

I don't understand how so many posters here seem almost happy we got beaten to prove themselves right..no sign of them after the games we won..

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

We're still talking about personnel - who might go, who should go, who should be brought in.

We might unearth 15 natural hurling geniuses in the next year - I wish - but unless we give at least the same prominence to conditioning (mental and physical) and strategy that Limerick are, we are at nothing.

Are we doing that ? Are the County Board serious about that ?

Definitely blowing your own trumpet. Don`t even get me started on what went with those U20`s this year.

No chance, the 3 named are way down the list and a lot to prove imo. All did very little for Kilkenny underage so far. The Boro and ourselves are dominating underage due to numbers up to age, not many players standing out in Underage Kilkenny teams with them

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

One player I’ve seen play recently (albeit a challenge game) and was really impressed with us Cathal Beirne of Glenmore, he looks big strong and mobile and well able to take a score, missed the last couple of year through injury but looks to be getting back in form now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 njcat

Limerick hit top form after the Deegan goal and routed a gutsy Kikenny. Kilkenny will learn and benefit most from this loss to a truly great Limerick organization and team who have significantly improved the standards of organization, coaching, development, player support etc. They needed the JP McManus € millions to get there. Kilkenny will get there on a shoestring budget, but it will take time. Kilkenny have contested 61% or 31 of the 51 finals since the rule changes in 1972 and won 19. Losing 4 in a row like in the 60s will create another great generation. 

Kilkenny were hungrier despite losing last year’s AI and this year’s league final. Lyng and his 4 selectors are very impressive with a strong camp spirit. I expect them to keep knocking on the door in the remainder of this decade but Limerick have 3 to 4 more AIs in them. If Kilkenny can contest 4 of the next 7 they will continue to grow.

Sunday’s wet and windy conditions suited Limerick better. In their own words, they wore Kilkenny down with superior S&C. That comes from early development (from age 16). The new Kilkenny S&C coaches led my Mick Fennelly will be quite active. Kilkenny came out the wrong side of the tackling rules which I didn’t understand; a lot of tackling frees to Limerick and very few to Kilkenny although the Kilkenny players were being pushed backwards. Lyng and the team will learn what the ref was looking for.

The loss of Blanchfield was huge with no suitable replacement and the subsequent loss of the 5 semi final subs and best S&C panel Kilkenny had; plus Wally and Padraig had to play longer than the 15 to 20 mins where their energy levels would have countered Limerick more as they did with Clare. I noticed Mullen clearly was at 80% and had his thumb taped before the start. Phelan was very good and along with Cody will be more dangerous next year; both could have punished Limerick with goals & points by releasing the ball earlier and not running into tackles; Cody had 3 around him a lot of the time, so Kilkenny players were free closeby but not found. Just inexperience from both and so allowed to learn.

The spirit in the Kilkenny set up is great and I think the Ballyhale 4 are among the best if not the best hurlers in the country and a joy to watch. Looking forward to seeing more of the new talent in 2024, including Drennan, Clifford, Dunne and others from last year’s u20s. We also seem to find one more unexpected All Star in the making each year. Losing today to a great team despite a huge effort will whet Kilkenny’s appetite for future success the most. That said I hope the 30s brigade stay longer; they have the S&C habits, a great work ethic and are an inspiration to the young panel members and to us all. Some posters say their time is up; I would remind them that the foundation player of the Cody spirit was, in my opinion, Ritchie Mulally who played savage hurling at every training game from 2005 to 2006 knowing he wouldn’t be picked; he played 10 mins in the 2006 win and the Kilkenny fans rightly gave him an ovation when he came on because they knew his training contribution. The older players are delivering on that spirit today as have many other older players. 

Best wishes to Cillian and his new bride and thank you for delaying the celebrations and honeymoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

We probably got our starting 15 wrong yesterday as it weakened our options going down the finish we were level on 60mins and most would have taken that before the game.

Every chap deserves time to find their feet at this level but even my patience is wearing thin couple guys around the panel with 5years and we are still waiting for the day they announce themselves as top players.

Murphy's puckouts contributed to our downfall yesterday maybe the wind was a bigger factor than it looked from the stand but to persist with long high hanging puckouts was the platform that allowed limerick feed the inside forwards.

Tom phelan had a mixed day took his scores well and then ran into tackles and got overturned looks like he needs a winter in the gym but for his first all Ireland can be happy enough fact he will be 28 at the end of this year surprised me.

Tj has been wonderful to watch for both club and county his entire career and is in the mix for greatest ever.But time waits for none of us hasn't scored in last 2 all Irelands and a step has definitely gone it's his call.The rest of the 2015 team bar Murphy have a choice to make and it maybe time to hand over the jerseys.

We will probably end up with 5 allstars and 5 more nominated which isn't all doom and gloom but can we close the gap on limerick next year .the fact we are in lenister will help and that we can time our run .until someone comes out of the chasing pack to challenge limerick at the business end they will continue to dominate .heading for Nowlan park now head up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think the core of next year's team is going to be Murphy, Butler, Lawlor, Walsh, Carey, Reid, Blanchfield, Deegan, Mullen and Cody. 10 players, 5 plus subs to be found. Tom Phelan is one possible. If TJ retires, Billy Drennan is another. After that, it is up for grabs

Advertisement