Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

40% off is a great deal, thanks for sharing.

I am tempted as I really did love their predecessor, the TC. They just look so high though, that is what makes me doubt them, I struggle to see how they could be stable enough but @AuldManKing said they aren't squishy so that would help as I definitely find squishy shoes less stable.

To buy or not to buy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

Anyone got a recommendation for a shoe similar to the Novablast 3 in terms of cushioned feeling? I got my NB3's for 70euro which was a real bargain given how much I like them. The amount of bounce exceeds pretty much any other daily trainer I've owned. From reading online I see two shoes regularly recommended as comparable:

Saucony Speed 3 (way more expensive)

Puma Deviate Nitro 2 (can be got for quite cheap)

Would people agree with these comparisons or possible recommend an alternative option? I'm looking for a daily trainer that possibly can be used for up to tempo.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

The NB3 and Speeds are not really comparable in my opinion. Speeds are narrower and taller and much more suited to picking up the pace than the NB3. I have the Triumph 20 and they are more aligned as a daily trainer with a similar ride although I find the NB3 softer under foot but the ride of the Triumph 20 better as I get a bit a slap with the NB3 which I don't get in the triumph 20, it has more of a roll through.

The Puma Deviate is firmer again (just my opinion though others disagree and I keep them for intervals and track work) the Puma Velocity and Forever run seem to get good reviews and are aimed a daily long miles and might be worth a shot as they are also good value.

I definitely get the NB3 'slap' as I'm running, sometimes is handy as a way of letting people know I'm coming up behind them but I'd prefer to have a shoe without it. The main thing that occurred to me when I first tried on the NB3s was the level of bounce which I really liked and am looking to replicate. I'll check out the other suggestions you made - I'll likely be buying these online so won't have a chance to try them on before hand (no running shops near me currently) so I don't want to get the purchase wrong if avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Yeah I know what you mean, the slap can be handy but I'm not a big fan of it, it's distracting but I do like the mid sole cushion on them. I think if you buy in lifestyle you can return within 30 days even if worn, but they might not have the best deals....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jv2000

New Balance Rebel v3 has that bounce as well and is a reasonable price depending on where you buy it from. I find it slightly less stable than the Novablast 3 though but only slightly. Very light on the foot as well.

Thanks, I'll check it out. So far the best price I can see is about 100 euro for the Triumph 20 delivered. I've racked up about 800k on the NB3s...so I think it's time for something to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is the issue with getting more Novablast, is the price or is there something else you want to change?

NB2 LE (light edition) are available on the asics outlet for 70 - 77 Euro depending on colour. https://outlet.asics.com/ie/en-ie/novablast-2-le/p/1011B331-300.html?width=Standard . One colour has plenty of sizes and is E77. I don't know if they'll drop again but I have definitely seen that colour at the E70 price as well

There is one colour of the NB3 LE on the ascis main site for 105 Euro. https://www.asics.com/ie/en-ie/novablast-3-le/p/1011B591-400.html

I think the LE just have a different upper to the regular one, I'm wearing the NB2 LE at the moment and I'm liking them a lot. I actually bought a couple of more pairs to get me through DCM training. I've nearly 400K done on this pair and seeing as I'm on the heavier side, I assume I'll get the lower range of how long shoes will last. So I assume my current pair won't last too much longer and I probably will go through one of the new pairs before DCM

EDIT: If you sign up for the asics one program (its free) you get free returns. I think you can potentially even try out the ones from the main site and return them if you are not happy with them.

"90-day free returns

We’re so confident you’ll love ASICS, we give you 90 days to try all footwear and apparel. Go ahead—wear them outside and take them for a spin. If you’re not entirely satisfied, return them for free and get a refund. See our ASICS return policy for full details.

90-day free returns policy does not apply to products bought on ASICS Outlet or Onitsuka Tiger.

"

Hi...well I do like my NB3s a lot, except for the slap sound they're pretty much ideal as a daily trainer. However, I spent years running in just one type of shoe (Brooks Ghost, renewed annually) then I tried a Pegasus 39 and Vapor Fly which made me realise there was more to shoes than just something to stop your feet hurting if you're running outside. After buying the NB3 I was amazed by the level of bounce so I was thinking maybe there's another shoe out there with similar bounce levels that I might be missing out on, and even better if I could get a bargain at the same time.

So, I could and might just get another pair of the NB3s but I'm also open to trying another brand to see what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rossi7

Would the Boston 12's be a good long run shoe or would I be better of sticking to the NB1080 V12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Mine just arrived. Really happy with the service from 365rider. I only ordered them late on Saturday night. Out of the box they feel brilliant walking around. I think lacedown might take a little bit of work. I can't wait to see what sort of run best suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I've used mine for long, easy, tempo and intervals and find they work well for all. Never had the 1080 so I couldn't compare.

@skyblue46 I thought that about lacing up, but I haven't had any issues. I think the suede-like material in the heel helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm absolutely loving them after my first run in them. It was a MP/steady run and they felt fantastic. As you say my misgivings about the lockdown were unfounded. Has the be one of the best first impressions I have ever had of a shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

What's the sizing like on the Boston? My Prime X and Takumi Sen 9 I had to go down half a size. Btw how do they compare to the Takumi ? I think the Takumi Sen 9 is one of my favorite shoes ever.

Picked up a pair of Rebel V3 from ASOS - due to arrive in about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Heading to Kildare Village next week. For anyone there latelt do any of the Sports shops have good deals there at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭robnet77

I was there a couple of times recently and unfortunately could not find many deals. You might find some on Adidas Takumi and Boston models, and 20% off Prime X Strung (192 instead of 240, if I remember correctly).

New Balance have few running shoes, mainly quite old models. Nike generally disappointing. For Asics there was very old stuff, my wife recently managed to get the Novablast 2 LE in a nice colour, but probably at the same price she would have gotten online.

At least you get to try a few models on to get a feel for the sizes of each brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Ive put +400 miles on the axon 3 since the end of May and they are still OK, the outsole is a bit worn at the front and they are slightly less effective on tempo so I've decided to pull the trigger on their big brother for the sessions and keep these on easy days.

€129 for the Endorphin Speed 3 on 365 rider, with the 7% promo showing on the page.

Lets see how these bad boys feel

Before my autumn Marathon I chewing on whether to buy a pair or the endorphin elite or stick with the Alphafly, I have a pair of AF with one marathon and long run on them so barely broke in. mmmmmm Anyone run a Marathon in the Elites yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Anyone getting a delivery error on 365Rider?

Have used the site before but at the moment I keep getting an error that there are no carriers available for your delivery address. I know i live west of the Shannon but come on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I bought a white pair of these from 365Rider. Just about to send an email to Saucony. The sole on them was visibly worn on them after just an 8km run and foam above it is all scarred on the heel. I am a very Neutral runner so a bit disappointed after 8k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That's funny, I ordered that exact colour a couple of hours before you posted. Were you running on tarmac or trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Tarmac, had the Endorphin Speed 2 before it and this happened after about 400k. These don't feel as fast for me.

That doesn't look good, certainly a defective pair.

Ive run a good few miles on the 1 and 2s and never seen anything like that. I do notice they loose the bounce after a while but damage like that, never.

Pair of Nike Invincible Run 2 arrived this morning. Chose them because I need maximum squish right now and they're supposed to be squishier than the Invincible Run 3.

£95.83 from ebay UK -> €157 delivered, but still cheaper than new and arrived in 7 days.

Haven't run in them yet but the outsole looks decent by Nike standards - full coverage rubber. Not mad about the upper, doesn't seem to have the same elasticity as my other shoes, but hopefully will be fine.

How heavy are they? Ive gotten so used to lightweight footwear, anything over 250g is a drag now.

In size 44.5, left = 325g, right = 308g on my kitchen scales.

No, I don't know why they're 5% different 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MZ22

Hi! Been lurking and reading, DCM training for the second time.

10min/mile plodder, using invincibles for long/easy runs in rotation with infinity reacts for speedwork. Badly need new shoes now but my head is MELTED with the choices!

Thinking novablast 3 tr for the wet roads and for bouncier easy runs...like the invincibles but hoping for more spring.

Seems like the vaporfly is a no brainer for the race itself but is it wasted on a slow runner? 🤔 Been looking at these 3, any feedback from slower runners on carbon plate shoes would be fabulous, thank you 😊

• Advertisement

The Vaporfly are head and shoulders above the other two but only for fast stuff and racing. I loved the Speed 1 and 2, only received the speed 3 yesterday so cant really say for sure. Not as soft as previous but still a nice feel (an easy 4 miler). Personally I would say give the speeds 3 a go for marathon training if only for MP stuff and sessions. I heard some good stuff about the novablast but I have no experience, maybe give them a go. you never know.

*Everyone has a different experience when it comes to shoes so I can only say try them

Advertisement