Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

River dancers trooping down my throat does not sound very appealing! Sounds painfull actually

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Keep meaning to watch Michael Flatley's vanity project spy movie. I expect I'll need to be drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some sort of drinking game called for... and some Jameson SPS for that "river dancers trooping down the throat" kick :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It’s very entertaining. But drinking does help.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Very tempted to get a bottle of this. Reckon it's worth the €65?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think so, yes.

Having said that, I paid €48 for it.

It's strong, you won't tear through it. Note, 50cl bottle.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sorry @the beer revolu , it was actually janiejones I meant to quote!

@janiejones , same question to yourself. Reckon the Holy Smoke is worth the asking price?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Galway Hooker appear to have branched into whiskey. No idea where it was distilled or if they even have plans to install a still themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

I think so. It's something totally unique (at this moment). It's at the outside end of what you'd pay but it hits as good as most peated whiskey I've tried outside lagavulin. How much of that is psychosomatic I can't say. I love the story, the small still, the home brewer side of it, the craftiness. I bought the trilogy set and the holy smoke is the only 1 I'd buy again at the price.

It's for the nerd though. If you want a peated whiskey you're safer and cheaper getting an ardbeg (75 but 700mls) or kilchoman machir bay. But if you want something totally unique and very well done, it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Picked up a bottle of Bunnahabhain Cruach-Mhona in the airport at the weekend. It’s a lovely drop. A lot peatier than the regular Bunnabhain. Tastes a lot more like a typical Islay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Nice one! I really like peated Bunnahabhain, there's a lot going on with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Bought a bottle of Laphroaig Four Oak in Heathrow yesterday, will probably open it tomorrow

Opened a bottle of Smoketrails, really liked it. And then had to open the other two, that I had on the shelf, to compare.

Class how does it compare to those other two absolute classics?

I was really enjoying it, and had a few before I tried the others alongside it. I then preferred it, but I think it's because my palette had adjusted to it. I'll go back fresh and try all three side by side, without the influence of having been drinking Smoketrails beforehand.

Smoketrails is lower ABV and lighter than Uaigeadail and Corryveckan. The core expression in the Ardbeg line-up it is most similar to is the 10 year old, I think, although it's not terribly similar to that either. It's got a dryness, a nuttiness to it.

I've been drinking the latest Distiller's Edition from Lagavulin. These used to change annually, and had a year statement on them. Now they seem to be making it the same every year, PX finish. It's a great whisky, but I'll miss the year statements, if they're doing away with those. Made it fun from a collecting POV if you wanted a bottle for a year to mark it down the line.

I went a bit ott on a recent trip where I found Lagavulin 16 for a good price. Ended up getting a bottle to drink on the trip, and brought four more home to keep stocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Where did you find the lagavulin 16?

• Advertisement

Lagavulin 16 at that price, and yet they're the ones rioting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Been a while since I posted in here. Went a bit mad and ended up with far too much whiskey on the shelves so took a step back to get stuck into it.

But, we had some very good news recently and the Mrs arrived home with a Barry Crocket. Fantastic stuff and enjoying a few sips tonight. We like the bourbon tastes in our whiskeys so this is hitting the spot lovely and is a lot smoother going down than I expected it to be.

Gives me a good excuse to source another Midleton that I'd been holding back on now that she's got the ball rolling.

Slainte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭kuang1

Good man and congrats on whatever that news is!

If you sample any other top shelf stuff please report your findings here! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

Got a Dick Mack's sample delivery the other day. Packaging is top quality. Had some irish peat tonight, micil inverin small batch and then the wd o connell bill phil.

Both very nice but there's a lot more going on with the Bill Phil, which, reflects in the pricing to be fair

Port finishes Thursday night now hopefully. Liberator tawny port finish and kilkerran 8 year port matured

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A friend has a bottle of MVR 2018, sealed, in its original wooden case/casket.

He doesn't want it.

Is there any way to sell it, or swap it?

Based in northwest of Ireland.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Irish Whiskey Auctions is one option. Here's one that sold a few years ago for a rough price guide.

https://irishwhiskeyauctions.ie/views/product.php?id=55238190

In last months irish whiskey auction there are a few MVR that went for 390 euro

Does anyone know, is Thomond Gate a Great Northern distillery product?

Just seen this for sale

https://www.irishmalts.com/irish-whiskey/thomond-gate-clash-of-the-ash-single-malt-custodians?utm_source=Thomond+Gate+Whiskey&utm_campaign=e7e8c13a07-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_04_15_09_18_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8503f14734-e7e8c13a07-621815379&mc_cid=e7e8c13a07&mc_eid=db80ba9693

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The bullshIt is strong in that one!

• Advertisement

"This pre-order release is a vatting of multiple casks, each contributing unique characteristics to create a harmonious blend of strength and subtlety. Bottled at 49%, this whiskey mirrors the essence of Limerick’s hurling heritage, encapsulating the resilience, refinement, and indomitable spirit of the county and its people.

The spirit has been tamed to 49% to provide a balance of flavour while also ensuring an oily texture. Each sip offers a journey through the layers of robust flavours, creating a unique whiskey experience.

Packaged in a beautifully designed bottle that pays homage to Limerick’s hurling legacy, “The Clash of the Ash” is a unique whiskey to mark this momentous achievement. It’s a testament to the art of whiskey-making, a celebration of a historic sporting achievement, and a tribute to the spirit of Limerick County."

^^^

A concept patiently and lovingly crafted through generations of....wait this was only Sunday past.

Advertisement