Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I got my €100 new customer gift card on Friday, happy with that☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Did you ever fix this? My work laptop is the same - Work IT said some settings need to change but the settings don't exist in the Hub 4

• Registered Users Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

My contract is coming up for renewal in a month - have had 9 months half price for BB and phone for a number of years and this past year best I could get is 6 months half price

Wouldn't be a massive data user (under 200gb per month) and the phone line from Eir is I don't know where (ripped out the box on the wall when wallpapering), but previously with eir about the best I could get is 25mb and very unreliable, really don't want to go back to them or any of the other providers on eir. Is anyone having any joy getting 9 months half price anymore?

Have you tried other providers websites? Ftth could be available via siro. Easiest in the end to go as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

I use Smart DNS Proxy - yes, through the LG, no problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inforapenny

Looking like I have to sign up with Virgin for broadband, want to go with Eir but in a new build estate and seems to be an issue with the tagging of the distribution/connection point for the house/estate on the OpenEir network. Eir are in contact with OpenEir but seems to be a slow process.

Another house in estate got Virgin in, see below before and after picture of install in utility room, do you need two boxes with Virgin?

If I get Virgin now, will there be any issue getting Eir installed next year in the same location (utility room).

Thanks

Looks like it's their ftth service, yes you'll need a new ont if you go to Eir or equivalent, that's the grey box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

In case it helps anyone else, I did this again this year and signed back up as a new customer once the old contract terminated (even before I got and paid the final bill). Got a fright when initial attempts to sign up failed at checkout but I think that was just VM's site as my second attempt (using a different email address to that used last year - which may or may not be relevant) went through even though the final step still reported an error. DPD just delivered the hardware. (Just to note again, there are still no fibre services available in my area so VM or maybe 5G are still the only realistic options). I had a couple of days of VM downtime during which I used my spare 4G router as a basic stopgap. I keep it aside for emergencies and for family/friends when they're is a similar position. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

Have signed up for Pure Telecom, 1GB connection for €40/month on a 12 month contract. Over 10+ years of doing the annual dance with Virgin, I don't have to bother anymore.

The way Virgin do discounts is silly. By only offering half price for 6 or 9 months, you're always reminded of how expensive it is right as you near the end of your contract. They should just offer a flat discount for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It's mad how it works isn't it. I've always gotten 9 months or at least 6 months half price.

Just off a call to virgin there. Offered 15 off for 9 months. Wouldn't budge. No.

Said cancel. Ok that's done. Call lasted less than a minute.

Next person calls on the same package gets 12 months half price, 9 months half price, 6 months half price. 🤷

• Advertisement

They must be feeling the pinch with more and more people getting access to ftth and undercutting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Got sky in on Friday, riming virgin to cancel on Monday. Can I throw out the virgin router, have it years now, can't remember if suposoe to return to them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

They may ask for it back and if you fail to do so they will charge you for it.

Anything older than the white hub they'll tell you dispose of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

11 months into a 12 month contract when exactly can you cancel is it a month before end of contract ?

its down now again sick sh1t of it

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

How are people working things with cancelling and restarting with VM? I'm out of contract and am considering cancelling and having my wife sign up in her name with her bank details to get new customer offers. Do I have to actually fully cancel and get rid of my current VM account, horizon box and router, or is there some easier way of working it?

Surely getting rid of the horizon box would be a huge positive in itself 😆. Yes, you will get a new router, as has been suggested you can change the SSID and password which will give you a seamless transition and you'll get the new 360 box. Do the new sign-up online and it will work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Rang them and told them to cancel and transfer to Mrs Gunner although for the reason of transfer told them I was moving out and transferring to flat mate??? Dont think they were interested but Mrs Gunner was been cautious. Then Mrs Gunner gave her bank details and once set up we will change this to the joint account.

No hassle gave them a week to cancel mine so less than the 30 days and the modem arrived over the weekend. Still have to return old items and set up new one so that will be fun🙄

Can you power up the new modem (offline), log into it and change the SSID and password to the present one, when the day comes to put it online everything should connect easily.

• Advertisement

Just trying that now. I've Internet points around the house so hardwire it to laptop to put it into modem mode, as using my own router. Not sure if it has as can't login using modem login. Not sure if possible to do offline

I'd try getting on to its wireless network and hop through the welcome steps first. Modem mode could be a problem as it might not be available, they seem to be configuring them for ipv6 by default making you ring tech support to get taken off the ipv6. Is it the newest black modem with WiFi 6?

White model is one I got and logged in and switched to modem mode, no ringing to virgin

Wanted the black one but not sure they will swap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Folks, is vodaphone only available where SIRO has been installed?

I seem to only have the option of VM BB in my area- Rathfarnham dublin and they are screwing us with the price.

I’ve always haggled every year with them but the thoughts of it this year……

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Ha, yes getting rid of Horizon box would be a positive alright (it's some POS), but not willing to pay any more for new V6 box. Don't really watch telly much, it's just for my wife to be able to record the odd programme here and there.

Mad the hoops they make you jump through to get a sensible price for internet and TV.

You should get the new 360 box as a new customer. That's the route I'd be taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

A new account means new equipment. It’s a bit annoying having to setup the new equipment every year, but worth the several hundred euro that we save! Now they don’t even take back the 360 boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lapse

Just rang Virgin and ended up cancelling so gone in 30 days, does anybody know if they'll contact me with another offer in these 30 days or is that it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭EarWig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

I gave them my 30 days notice a couple of weeks back. They've been trying to call me, and I've also received this SMS from them:

Here at Virgin Media, we do not want to see you leave. We would love to hear from you and see if there is anything we can do to change your mind and If so you can call us on 1800940199 and we can take it from there.

Advertisement