Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

Yes but you can hardly expect bookies, pundits, fans etc., to ignore the credentials of a guy who, for the most part is contending whenever he plays (including the majors), wins a few times a year and is a fairly permanent fixture in the top 5 of the world rankings, when the next major comes round. Imagine telling Paddy Power that the guy who is arguably the most talented player in the last 15 years and is a regular winner, shouldn't be one of the favourites for the Masters. I totally agree that for his talent, he should probably be close to double digit majors by now, but it hasn't happened, but to dismiss one of the top players because he hasn't won one in 10 years is a bit mad. The reason he's talked up is that he has been the outstanding player of the last 15 years, by a mile IMHO, and he's still healthy and winning regularly. He may well never win another major or he may win another 6, who knows, but barring injury or something he's going to be one of the big names going into every tournament he plays for another 5/10 years I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

So we consider that Rory underdelivers or falls short again in a major because he doesn't win. Whatever way you prefer to phrase it but it means that a few headers will absolutely get off on it for another 12 months. Of course, he's not immune to criticism, for me, it's just that the criticism is more often vitriol online or a tad unrealistic. It's another high finish but Harman was going to beat anyone last weekend.

To come close so often clearly means he has the ability and stones to be there. He's not some journeyman or fluke. The poor lad who's only taken in $77 million in PGA tour earnings and 3rd behind Phil ($96m), Tiger ($120m) overall. It must suck to be so bad at golf.

Be better with wedges and the flatstick are obvious to anyone. I'd like to see more suggestions on improvement with this. Now if someone could also provide suggestions on how to putt better than Harman inside 10ft in Hoylake, I'd also be delighted to discuss that. Barring some unlikely bust-up or life event, Harry will be his looper for some time. He's spoken several times about how good it is to have Harry with him. You could see Harry reviewing lines with him several times during coverage so he's not just standing with the flagstick beside the green. If he had a louder or more projecting voice that mics pick up, I'm sure we'd have more insight into their interactions.

Rory's time will surely come and I'm sure his thoughts are firmly on legacy. #1 Masters, #2 More majors. Whatever happens with the golf civil war being settled over the next year, the spotlight will switch off and it'll be back to golf itself. Won't do him any harm.

Roll on the masters so we can all get on the hype and hate trains again for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nothing stokes the fire in this thread quite like his failure to win a tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Excellent analysis 👏 couldn't have put it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

I can't imagine what the thread would be like when he wins a major or the masters. A few fist pump gifs and then most of us would be stuck for a new topic to talk crap about online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's amusing that you think that. It's not a wild assumption to think that one of the three best golfers in the world for most of the last 14 years will win a major in any given year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Actually one of the top three ranked golfers in each year since Mcilroy last one a major, has won a major.

2015 Speith

2016 Johnson.

2017 Speith.

2018 Keopke.

2019 Keopke

2020 Johnson

2021 Rahm

2022 Scheffler.

2023 Rahm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Pretty much , although I find it hard to imagine that it would happen. Lol

Where has the vitriol been on this thread or have you seen elsewhere? Good post though , agree with a lot of it . Last sentence is where I'm at with Rory , hate the hype. No majors in 10 years doesn't warrant it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Rory just needs to focus on the golf. He strayed out-of-bounds with his exaggerated stance re LIV and then received a very public dressing-down. Perhaps now he'll also be able to get over his "massive guilt" about flying. If so, he'll be back winning at the golf chipping & putting game in no time ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If he did win a major it seems obvious the argument would shift to how only 5 majors was a waste of his talent, that he should have won more and that he won't win again for another ten years. If it isn't the Masters then he will get criticism for still not ever winning that, and bonus agenda points for claiming the one he wins was just lucky because of the weather/some top player was missing/somebody else threw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think to state Rory doesn't have the mentality to win a major is very disingenuous. I don't know any other golfer who has been consistently in with a shot of winning every major the last few years. Testament to his golf is the fact we all expect him to compete else he's a joke, yet the like of lads like Keopka and co can be 5+ or in JTs case 12+ and nothing is stated.

But for the unreal final round of Clark he is us open champion. His mentality in the 4th round at the US Open was clear for everyone to see.

Even at Hoylake he's realistically one off everyone else bar another out of nowhere showing from Harman a lad with 2 wins in 300+ events.

Golf now in Rorys Era with the technology enhancements is far more unforgiving than when Tiger or Co dominated the sport. Anyone in the field can cause an upset. Harman and Danny willet spring to mind.

Because he's one of a select few golfers who is there or there about every year at almost every major.

It's akin to saying why is the runner up in the last insert ANY sport here being touted as a potential winner this year...oh wait...I know....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

People saying he should have close to double digit majors by now is a bit ridiculous - the precedent for that is Tiger or Jack? He got off to a very hot start and people haven't properly reevaluated since. In my opinion he's much more like Phil, a prolific winner, can pull off the amazing but also mercurial and very prone to ups and downs. Phil is almost the opposite in majors in that it took him so long to get off the mark even though he was earmarked as a generational talent.

Edit: Seve being another of that ilk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Harrington calling out his & Rory's putting for what it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Ha,ha this from the angry Cretin that was calling me all sorts of names a couple of pages back cos of clearly showing up your contentions re Rory's golfing pedigree as just plain wrong!!

Serious question: do you actually think about, or recall, what you write on here?

Or are you more like a lost little puppy pissing up against any old telegraph pole you pass !?!

Saying he should have double digit majors is over the top but saying he could have if he was at his best in six of them is not.

I think with his talent he should have a lot more and he's been so close so often it's frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I personally think that if he can get one next year he should be good for another two or three on top of it.

If he doesn't win one next year I can see him faltering over the line to one more when he is about 39/40.

I am in the camp hoping he wins one next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

I really taught he was a shoe in for 1 this year.. I personally think if Augusta was on now or next month he'd win it. I hope he wins the masters though as it be great for him to do the slam couldn't care after that. Still a joy to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think he is more likely to win one now than any time in last 10 years - he has improved massively , the big issue is the putting , because you have to putt well to win a major - because at least 5 other lads are making them . Try a new putting coach to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

But sure we have heard that exact Augusta line multiple times at different times of the year the last few years. It means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

This is a discussion forum of course its means nothing! I'm just giving my option.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Harman sinks 58 out of 59 putts from 10 ft and under. I think that's the most amazing golf stat I've ever heard. You just can't do anything about that. Remove Harman and you'd have had a fascinating final day. Imagine fleetwood getting a 6 on the 17th when he was in the lead or close to it.

Exactly this. Unless your an outstanding top tier talent, like a Rory, DJ etc., where you can sometimes ball strike your way to a win, I think most weeks the winner will be the guy who putts unbelievably well. I remember seeing an interview with Els years ago and he was saying that almost all of the guys hit it pretty much the same, almost all of the time, and the only difference between the 67s and 73s you'll see at the end of the day, will be around the greens. Rory doesn't even need to putt well to win, he just needs to putt ok, rather than rubbish. I mean, I'm sure every competitor can find a few shots they left behind, but it not really any kind of a stretch to find two shots per round last week that Rory left out there with his putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Think Clarks stats were very similar in his win at the US Open, made a similar percentage inside 10ft

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Another good round of golf today from Rory. He had a lot of great efforts for the highlight reel, but for me the premium shot was the 3 wood he hit from the bunker on the par 5 15th. The shot, was a great shot, but the sound was one of the sexiest things I have ever heard. I havent found a video of the shot yet, but if someone finds it, please post it. That sound was sensational.

The video is up on YouTube.

His shot on the 17th around the trees and then to birdie the chip, unreal.

However, he shot a 65 because he putted well. That was the difference.

• Advertisement

He played well and shot 65. The concern is that Scheffler didn't play that well and shot 66.

Tee to green is hugely important, I think it's going to come down to the big three this week. I'm afraid of Scheffler because putting isn't as important this week as just hitting greens.

Advertisement