Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

Scrap Saturday got on the wrong side of tge political classes for not testing them with the required reverence and Savage Eye did likewise for RTE ‘talent’. Both were cancelled never to be repeated. 

Yea McSavage was born into the golden circle but he turned around and bit them all and burnt all his bridges.

He was defending Tubridy on his podcast though and said he deserved his salary. He said that all the RTE reporters and staff protesting outside RTE were just jealous because they could never get that sort of money.

You can't even search for the Savage eye on the player as its been taken off that aswell. Some of the sketches have a cult following now due to tik tok etc among the young that never say the series when it was aired on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

There are a few middle aged bores in RTE that have their own TV and radio shows and they are indulged

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Interesting about the Danish model. I know that culturally Denmark is very much of that Scandinavian view that there is a solid social contract. ie "you do the work, pay a lot of tax, and we promise that those taxes will be put to good use in the public good and we won't take the piss with our salaries" - That would very much NOT be the Irish view!

As well as the obvious historical issues around colonization leading to a culture of cute hoorism, I wonder how much of this attitude also comes down to Ireland being an english speaking country. Had we been irish speaking, I can see an alternate reality where RTE is a trimmed down organisation, on a much smaller budget and all the "talent" are on fractions of the current figures. Our fluency with the saxon tongue certainly allows us to believe, as a great stateswoman once said "that we are much closer to Boston than Berlin" with all the extravagance that that entails.

This all sounds like a David McWilliams podcast episode if ever I heard one! RE Brolly's take on Gay Byrne and his love of taking a lump hammer to traditional Ireland's pieties, I though that was very true and something that has always perplexed me about Tubridy. He is a man who would have been far more comfortable fronting the LLS in the mid 1960's. I'm sure had any missives come in from the Archbishop, he would happily change or drop items to placate His Eminence. By some weird quirk, the Ireland of the 2010's having undergone all the societal change imaginable, somehow had the most conservative invertebrate working on the flagship programme of the national broadcaster.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'm not sure if Mc Williams pointed out that Danish public telly doesn't show ads. At least not on its Channel 1. On Channel 2 they show some ads between programmes (as in they don't interrupt shows with ad breaks).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You also have to remember that most contries have other established local/national TV broadcasters. There are only 3 in Ireland RTÉ, VMTV and TG4.

TG4 - A minority language channel that has some income from advertising, about 10% of its total income.

VMTV - Which provides very little in terms of local content

RTÉ - which over pays form almost everything they do and believe it to be so.

Should RTÉ drop out of the TV advertising market where does the ad revenue go? Well its unlikely to head straight to VMTV, it is likely to head to opt-out broadcasters. You could see the BBC Studio's UKTV take on the idea of a pay service for Ireland that would include BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4 Ireland along with more opt out advertising across their suite of channels. Sky would certainly push in further currently having a 9% share of the audience, this could grow to 15%.

And that's just in terms to TV and not online advertising.

Because we have such a weak history of TV broadcasting in this country VMTV would only be in the same place they are currently in should RTÉ step out of the advertising market, with most of RTÉ share heading to Sky, BBC Studios, Channel 4, Viacom, Discovery and so on.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm looking for the disadvantage in this and not seeing it

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

What are the chances of RTE dropping out of the TV advertising market though? Sure they are finding it difficult as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It wouldn't be done one RTE's own bat, the decision would be taken at government level as part of a complete overhaul of broadcasting in this country, likely in conjunction with the replacement of the licence fee with some form of taxpayer funding ana a refocusing of RTE's output on 'public service' content.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

None and I think rightly so. It should be a good system.

It's just being squandered and abused by posh greedy gits.

But it's hard to compare salaries in DR and TV2 with RTE1 and Network2 without taking in the different funding systems and David Mac should've pointed that out.

• Advertisement

Suppose jobs! but yes VMTV and RTÉ are unlikely to improve and TG4 doesn't need advertising as its only a small portion of their income.

______

Yesterday

And unlikely that a new system would change such staff members.

______

Yesterday

• McSavage has a way of expressing himself such that you are not quite sure when he is being ironic or for real. He deliberately takes an audience off of the comfort zone and question “did he mean that for real?”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭creedp

I'd be far more interested if you could work out how to avoid the multiple of €10ks paid in IT each year to fund massive public spending waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

And rightly so, it was a top class sketch show imo...........I couldn't understand how it was aired at the time, given the subject matter and thought it was a positive sign that if something was good enough it would get a shot despite the ahem (possible conflict of interests 😁) ...I hope it wasnt cancelled for that reason, I'd assumed you just couldn't keep up the pace

Even my very religious Conservative elderly parents found it hilarious which I couldn't wrP my head around they are very decent people but humour like that in any other context rarely appeals to them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭creedp

You should probably update that now to include the other great bastion of Irish cronyism, the great 'I play poker with the peasants with matches' Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭amacca

It would in fairness be more advantageous to have an independent national broadcaster with high standards than something along the lines above happening.....so RTE would have to change in some areas quite a bit....I'd like to see them provide unbiased factual reporting/no agenda and be independant of any interference from political circles/lobbyists etc etc ....**** tall tall order given how small this country is I suppose.

What I've described above is what I think RTE should be ......

Well they might as well now that GO’L has left as she was the only person capable of attracting advertising to RTÉ……….at least according to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Not that I’m aware of, but I wouldn’t be surprised either tbh.

• Advertisement

Because a lot of ads on radio have come from Government departments.

You mean those “brought to you by the Government of Ireland” ads?

That’s more of a recent thing to be fair, and it’s IMO more a Govt PR noise maker, a blatant attempt to appear more active than they actually are to the taxpayer at the taxpayers’ expense.

That type of advertising would have happened no matter who was the Commercial lead in RTÉ.

Those ads are across all stations….RTÉ get most of it because they’re the biggest. Nothing more to it than that IMO.

Free in the Irish Times this Saturday - limited Edition signed By Dee Forbes with €20 cash money inside.

(If I'm not permitted to post imagery content I will stop)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

GO'L is still on LinkedIn but I see that Dee Forbes is no longer.

I’d say GO’L is on hols so can’t be bothered with her LinkedIn.

I’d probably stop because it takes time to make them and they just aren’t funny if that’s anything to go by. In fairness it’s better than those cringe inducing attempts at humour from the enormously unfunny and poorly edited Phoenix Magazine.

I'm flattered with the response Mr. Grumpy Pants.

They aren't funny according to you and that does not mean he should stop.

Shoot, if we all stopped posting links or memes because one person hates them this thread and others on here would be long dead.

We get you don't like them or Phoenix, so why not just ignore them Vincent and move on as you are well in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,442 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Virgin Media have in writing to the Minister suggesting RTE leaves the commercial stage, let it be known that RTE spends €20M buying in programmes like Eastenders, to show the same time as BBC.

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User] don't mind the Doc. you never know could lead to a successful comedy on RTÉ :)

______

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement