Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babyducklings1

Awful summer so far, seems to brighten up then huge downpours then dry again, then the same, we rinse and repeat ( literally ) if not followed by constant rain. Ugh !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sun made an appearance after 5 today. Tomorrow sounds alright, 15c high in July is a bit weak though for NW&N . 20c possible further south.

Tomorrow will bring a mix of cloud and bright spells. There will be well scattered showers with plenty of dry intervals. Highest temperatures of 15 to 20 degrees, coolest in the north and northwest, with light to moderate northwest breezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

For some reason I expected to wake up to bright skies and a bit of sun. Reality is 12 degrees and cloudy. Really feels like autumn and not helped by how wet everywhere is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Blue skies in Galway. Finally! Need to make the most of it. I can't get over the growth over the past 10 days.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

As far as I can tell, if you get a good June you will always get a bad July, which is what has happened this year. I'm hanging out for the better weather starting second week of August, which isn't that far away.

I've gotten out walking every day, rain or shine. I don't really mind the rain in summertime, I have a light long raincoat that covers down to my knees, and a clear umbrella. It's the rain in winter that I can't stand, that sideways sleety graupel stuff. I'll still take our rainy July over 40 degrees of dead heat. Though obviously there's a happy medium.

Hopefully we'll get 2/3 weeks good weather in August, and that will rescue the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep same here in NCD but at least it's dry at the moment.

We only got max temperature of 15 degrees yesterday in D.A no surprise there. Rainfall of 5mm which is very deceptive because it never stopped raining from morning until 8pm, I suppose it was more drizzly rain a lot of time, would still soak you though!

Sat had 0.1 hours of sunshine & Sun had 0.0 shocking for height of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

July 2023 is now the wettest month since November 2019 at Dublin Airport. If modelling is to be believed, strong likelihood this will be the wettest July on record there. Records go back to 1939.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Blue skies this morning in west cork also, seems to be a pattern of bad weekends sunny workweek :D

Chilly breeze however, though I am next to the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A typical example of what I was talking about upthread about the utterly miserable weekend timing of things at the moment.

Cork -

Friday: Drizzly and raining all day

Saturday: A few hours of non drizzly rain

Sunday: Ok in the morning, a few hours of dryness and a tiny bit of sun in the evening before abhorrent downpours.

Monday: Wall to wall sunshine likely for most of the day when I'm stuck in a bloody windowless office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Lovely day in Cork, on annual leave so actually get to make the most of it 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

I'm no expert and have no records to support my daft meandering ideas but is Ireland starting to develop a sort of "wet season". It just seems that over the last few years July has gotten wetter with and maybe a bit into the end of June and also August. May and June while cool seem to have been drier over the last few years and you can get lucky in September early october. I'm sure I am wrong and really should look at the data and science but I can help but feel our "summers" have got wetter.

They have gotten wetter, it's not just a hunch but a fact. July has the highest increase out of any month followed by February and November. June and August haven't had significant changes however. See the Irish Weather Statistics thread and Met Éireann's latest issue on the 1991-2020 averages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

Cheers - I did have a quick look but the data tables aren't great so would need a bit of work. they group 20-23 on one page and the rest is elsewhere and I was hoping regulars here would be more on the ball.

If its getting wetter and the type of rain also appears to be changing from the soft type to much heavier and intense with some showers looking like those in tropical areas is it possible that if this trend continuews we could could develop a rainy season? I'm not sure what constitutes a rainy season and can't see monsoons happening but if July regularly started to be be 125mm+ would that make it official in some form or another?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking forward to all the stats on 1st of August or thereabouts. Plenty of rain forecast for the remainder of July so this is likely to be a record breaking July for rainfall in many eastern areas at least which don't normally get this level of rain in the summer or indeed most of the year.

All my neighbors are completely fed up with it now that they have never seen a July this bad, I know we've had bad Julys before but I feel this one is on another level in terms of rainfall and multiple washout weekends.

Malin and Knock coolest at 14c

Athenry warmest 19c

The monthly data is only for a flashback at recent years. It's not very useful outside of that.

Here's the link to the issue I was talking about. https://www.met.ie/cms/assets/uploads/2023/07/Irelands-Climate-Averages-1991-2020.pdf

I discussed this here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057714322/irish-weather-statistics/p37

If you want specific data, I am here to assist in any way I can.

There is what is called the European Monsoon or "return of the westerlies" which refers to pressure lowering and temperatures rising over the continent usually happening through July or sometimes late June. The heat contrasts with the ocean leading to a return of the westerlies after a period of easterlies through mid/late spring to early summer. Monsoon technically refers to a change in seasonal wind direction and ushering in a wet phase though. Ireland's mean wind direction is primarily westerly all year round with easterlies or northerlies tending to be brief in nature.

July has simply gotten wetter because low pressure has tended to influence the month more compared to older decades and warmer sea temperatures increase the likelihood of atmospheric river setups. This is evident in the reanalysis below. Most of Europe has seen an increase in positive heights (higher pressure) but Ireland, of course, has had more trough or low pressure influence indicated by the blue/purple colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

And all of this on the back of officially the wettest March ever. Brutal.

Really hope the second half of August makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Here's hoping next month will be warm until end of September, I wish we could reset back to mid June

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m hoping that too but feeling quite negative about it right now-UK are predicting rain to continue up to mid August I read somewhere- I don’t think the first week in August will be anything to write home about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Am I imagining the weekends are way wetter than the weekdays this July

Sligo rain so far 154.5mm

Weekend Fri Sat Sun 142mm

Weekdays Mon thru Thurs 12.5mm

A resounding no is the answer.

• Advertisement

They definitely are the wettest day, I was off all last week and out with the kids everyday and the only really wet day was Tues. In contrast Fri- Sun was a write off with all the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Was in Dublin today. Stupidity thought today would at least stay fine. Big mistake.

Well it this is the best day of the week, we are in trouble.

It's pitch dark in my kitchen right now, like winter with thev lights on so looks like even today won't stay dry.

At least I have the clothes in I suppose before rain comes.

Uncommon to see Valentia record the least amount of rain.

Rain

Rainfall amounts were well above normal over the past seven days with total accumulations ranging from 120 to 380% of average for this time of year. The wettest conditions arose in the north and east of the country with a maximum of 52 mm recorded at Malin Head, Co. Donegal. Valentia, Co. Kerry, was the driest station with a weekly total of 28 mm. Throughout the coming week, there will be little change with further spells of rain or showers expected. Most parts of the country are forecast to receive two to three times their average weekly rainfall with a minimum of 21 mm in parts of the south and east and a maximum of 74 mm near the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Spare a thought for this poor man:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm thankful it stayed dry today. There were brief pleasant spells where the sun appeared, but it was overall cool and overcast. It was threatening to rain as I was on my way home from work, but mercifully it passed over and I got my grass cut. Not a great day for the height of summer really, but it's been so bad.

My understanding was that tomorrow is to be the brighter day. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another grand day in Cork :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Couldn't manage a dry day here in Greystones. Light rain showers on and off since 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Finally got the grass cut this evening. It was still a bit wet but it had to be done before the rain comes tomorrow night..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

I was delighted to get a dry day today as I needed to attack the garden, having been away. Now it was dry and relatively pleasant late morning to early afternoon, but no way related to a proper summer's day here in Tralee. Got quite chilly as the afternoon wore on.

I've had the lawn cut while away, but I have a lot of shrubbery and what I couldn't get over was the over growth of weeds. Spent the entire day weeding and filled several black bags with them. Clearly all the rain has set growth into overdrive. A lot of flowers destroyed but the damage was not as bad as I had feared. I think the east coast has been faring worse than us this summer. But awful to think today and tomorrow are just a brief respite. 😒

Advertisement