Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭StevenToast

So keeping the thread on track..

4.70 for bullocks this week....

Where will the pull from larry and his pals end?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Mid November when the stores are bought and the last of the grass cattle hung

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I say if the weather drys up it will slow cattle going into the factory's. The kill is dropping as well 1k lower for the last two weeks reported. Processors are more active at the ringside at present. Last year they were very tight for cattle from mid August to mid September

Slava Ukrainii

Around the 4.40-4.50 mark if I'm optimistic. As Bass said there will be a few pinch points on the road to housing. This is slow the drop. There is approx 12-14 weeks until Halloween and that's a lot of weeks to drop 5c. Last back end a lot of younger cattle were hung up. Will be Interesting to see if that trend continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It paid well last back end to do it though, might not this year

Thrive is struggling a bit the last couple of weeks. More stores appearing in the marts a sign that lads on heavier land are struggling.

Even dry land is wet at present.

Slava Ukrainii

Did it though at 4.50 and meal at 400/ton best twist was made from mid December to early march

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

Factories around the midlands all full up this week. Marts very busy too with heavier store cattle. Grass is gone very tight with lads around here and land very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Another Factory blockade is needed. If you have cattle hold firm make the Factories pay for them. They see it's easy we ( the Factories) keep dropping the price yet Farmers queue up to offload. It is a no win situation. I can't believe the prices that I paid for cattle and thought they were value for money. They are not worth what I paid for them it is a no win situation. Farmers need to put manners on the Factories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

how exactly could a blockade work .last time during the blockade the big farmers who kept supplying got paid more.This year the small supplier is getting squeezed he might even do better in the mart.

looking ar the beef price app back a few weeks ago,I battled hard to get a good price and according to lads here I did good but still at least 10 cent below average and probably 20 cent below what the big boys are on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Unless you’re a big supplier or feedlot, then you will always lose to the factory (or at the mart).

The alternative is to spend years tweaking a system that suits you, like a few Premier League lads on here, and then you’ll make a few quid most years.

After that, there’s the rest of us - making a few quid here and there, and hanging in there.

The beef game for farmers is over in Ireland and the battle was lost over the last 2 decades.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I see 4.60 as a floor like the old 3.60....

If it goes below that...lads will be outside factories blockading....

I can't see any location or grouping willing to take on the factories with a blockade. Last time you had a fledging beefplan which had gathered momentum. Unless the farm orgs are willing to group

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The butcher says that he used always have a few pound in the post office from the lamb skins and offal and them things. Now it’s opposite and he has to pay to take it away

The SRM is costing him. It's a controlled material. There is only one entity in charge of it in the Republic. Along with that there is a distance limit you can travel with it.

As you get nearer the border there is more competition

The big lads all got shafted in the end as well, they got 3.45/ kg like everyone else. Ya the processor were offering them more to break through the strike, but very few got through.

It's hard to say how many are getting extra and if much extra. Really good article in the FI saying that 26% of the kill so far this year was feedlot cattle. That is all contracted. This is all now allowed as feedlot beef. Get on to the minister because it not photos of feedlots that Boards via or Larry use on there brochure. There was an article about a ( was it a Dawn) feedlot in the Midlands gushing about its systems ( I think in Agriland ) nearly all the land was in tillage.

Look at the FJ and the campaign it ran to get U16 month bulls included in grass fed.

We need an organisation that will throw sh!t and keep throwing sh!t about issues like this until it sticks

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

If I could like this 10 times I would: We need an organisation that will throw sh!t and keep throwing sh!t about issues like this until it sticks

That's pretty much what the processors did: kept lobbying the Dept and TDs until there was no objections to consolidation of the processing sector and the creation of their cartel.

The battlefield involves shiny shoes on the carpet in Kildare St. not wellies at factory gates.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

A Factory Blockade is simple you just don't let the Factories have the Cattle that they have to pay for then if they want them. Then they see that the Farmers are setting the price. The Farmers always give in too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Why should some farmers decide whether the factories get cattle or not?.If factories can't supply a customer they go somewhere else. Stock then build up on farms go overage . The farmers then loose again same as last time. Took months to clear backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Yes and rte will report on the news that the bad farmers are causing the factories to lay workers off

• Advertisement

I work in a Factory myself I know how unfairly treated their workers are someone has to stand against the Factories. If you are happy losing money on your Cattle keep doing it.

Something simple along the lines of over booking cattle and then sending them to the mart that day instead. Enough farmers doing that collectively accros the country would mess up lines and have them juggling for numbers.

The biggest issue for us as farmers is to have unity. Very hard and next to near impossible. It's dog eat dog

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Feedlots are the lifeblood of the factories. Starve them for cattle and you'll hurt the factories. If lads stopped rearing so many calves and instead carry what they buy to finish it would mean factories wouldnt have an endless selection of reared cattle in marts to stick on the grain drip and dictate the markets.

Promote a real grass-fed beef market abroad and actually produce grass fed beef.

Promote the live export anything with 4 legs.

None of this will happen of coarse. The shooting down of the suckler reduction scheme by our farming bodies shows us that levels of production will be held high at all costs to the farmer.

You must be a factory agent!? The cheapest place for factories to get cattle is the mart. If no farmer brought anything heavier than 400kgs to the mart factory prices would rise instantly as the factories would have to coax the heavy stock out.

This exactly. If lads start finishing their own stock and keep away from the marts it would solve a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Marts are full of runner calves under 140kg at the moment,farmers paying up to €450 for them, im no accountant but the minute the hammer fall the buyer has signed his contract to loose money..can't blame the feedlots or factory for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Yeah those runners are a particularly bad buy. But lads will buy anything to keep the grass down. I was considering buying 10 or 15 Husqvarna robot lawnmowers to patrol the farm for the next 10 months - they'd be cheaper to run and at least I'd know what they'd be worth in May next year. In the end I bought 400-450kg stores for €900-1000. Think I'd feel less of a fool with the robot lawnmowers...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I'm no longer looking at livestock units to the hectare but hectares to the livestock unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Niallers87

What would one want to be paying for those 140kg runners to leave a margin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Worst animal you could buy to keep down grass,they need the best of grass not what's going/gone strong..the fr bullock is the lad to keep down grass..no worries about moves or QA..bit of value in them at the minute too

Advertisement