Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭micks_address

In the end he took out the microbore completely as was much easier than he first anticipated

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Can you give me some idea of what you’re paying and what you’re getting for the money. I need some plumbing done and would like to know the ballpark.

i dont actually have a price yet... don't laugh! few jobs being done, not specific to anything heatpump... repiping 3 rads upstairs at the back of the house - 2 of which are new rads - one fancy vertical one, one basic type. new runs of qualpex to these rads from the hotpress. asking for a thermostatic mixing valve for out of the hot water cylinder but im not sure ill get it! also getting some pipes at a sink tided up.. copper put in instead of gun barrel from the ground floor to upstairs.. im not expecting much change from 2k. Main driver is that we are replacing the floors upstairs and didnt want to put them down over gunbarrel piping and potentially have a leak in the next couple of years..

hi folks,

a heat pump tumble dryer question. I've read they don't do well in cold temp rooms - but if you have a spaces thats typically 15 to 20 Celsius should be fine?

thanks,

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Mine works fine in the utility room which is often the warmest room in the house because of the dryer

Don't think the cold temps thing is quite true, maybe -30C but in a shed in Irish weather it should be fine

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Do they make small rooms steamy? Just testing with a load of towels and the mirror in the room steamed up..opened the window.. it's in a relatively small space under the stairs

it works anyway :) towels came out dry.. i opened a window and the steam cleared up... different to a regular condenser i guess which used to push hot air into the space

I have mine under the stairs too. Never noticed this happening. It doesn’t even seem to produce that much residual heat. Mine is the kind of unit that stores the water in a container built into the door that has to be manually emptied.

I can stick a humidity sensor into the under-stairs area tomorrow before we start a load and see if it has an impact on humidity.

are you sure it’s a heat pump unit and not just a condenser unit?

definitely heat pump... has a unit in the door to collect the water.. our under stairs is connected to the downstairs toilet, which is tiled.. my guess is its just the heat from the dryer hitting the tiles etc which are colder.. the water collection worked anyway.. and only used 1.07kwh to dry the load versus at least 2.6 the older unit would have used

here's the model

https://service.hoover.co.uk/advice-centre/tumble-dryers/dx-h9a2de80/

Ha. I have the same exact same one. And one of the loads last week consumed 1.08kwh:

Does your “delay timer” button over on the right hand side work?

• Advertisement

only picked it up yesterday so havent played around with it much.. how do you find yours? bit concerned that it might not dry as well as the older bosch unit it replaced.. i bought second hand so between selling my older one and buying this not out a lot. It seems a bit louder than my last bosch unit for sure.. i like the door draining unit.. much easier to remove than the long drawer in the old one

Can't say I noticed the room being steamy, but it probably is a bit more humid after the dryer has run

We have had it a few years. A capacitor blew on it recently and cost 50 euro to repair. I put a rubber mat under it (they sell them in DID) that really helped with the vibrations.

Only other thing was the “delay start” button that doesn’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

1kWh to dry clothes is good. I’ve the older type of tumble dryer and I turn to delicate / eco mode. It dries the clothes just as well, but slower (as it uses less heat) and also uses less overall kWh. Only use 1.4kW on that mode so more chance I can run from solar (don’t have a battery)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Folks,

retrofit question.

oil boiler gone recently looking at the heat pump.

Have big insulated hot tank upstairs with solar thermal connected.

have pipes coming from boiler outside in through utility.

guessing id just tap off outside utility and have unit there.

does the inside hardware have to be right inside for hw or can I reuse what I have upstairs?

apologies if I’m not making sense. I think it does in my head anyway.

You can just get a monobloc heat pump (it’s the most common type - as it’s familiar to plumbers) in these units everything is in one box outside; and it simply has a “flow and return” of hot water like a oil or gas boiler. These can be a direct replacement for a boiler; assuming you have the correct sized pipe work to allow the flow rates needed to heat the house at the lower temperatures that it’s most efficient to run a heatpump at. Keep your existing water tank if you want as long as it’s well insulated and in good working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Ta for that explaination. Didn't know how monobloc was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

I see this chap has put out a video update on his first 9 months of use.

Pretty impressive considering the age and lack of insulation in the house.

https://youtu.be/kkNx2oSO-S4

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CamronW0255

Hi,

I have a hitachi yutaki-s heat pump in my house and I've been having trouble with the Domestic Hot Water. The temperature of the water is scalding and the showers are either Hot or Cold there's no in-between. I've tried adjusting the temperature setting for the DHW, I tried reducing the cut in/out temperatures and I even tried replacing the mixing valve in the shower to no avail.

Can someone please help me with this issue?

Has it always been like this or did something change?

What temp do you have the hot water set to on the control unit?

What is the temperature of the water that’s coming out of the hot tap?

Do you have an immersion in the tank?

• Advertisement

Do you have the S combi unit that heats water on demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Retrofitlou

Hi. I just got a Mitsubishi Ecodan heat pump installed but I need to block up my chimney to ensure I get the grant for the Heat Pump - "Please Note: In order to be eligible for the Heat Pump Grant you must arrange for your chimney to be permanently blocked. This is not a service SSE can provide however failure to do so may result in the grant not being paid."

My question is (and I maybe on the wrong thread) has anyone else done this as part of their installation? I asked the SEAI for specs on how to do this at they have me the below picture. We're unsure the best way to block the flues at the attic. Apparently temporary measures are not acceptable. Any advice welcome!

if you have a stove thats in winter use you can't get the heatpump grant? or is it just for open fires/chimneys not in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Anyone else got a definitive answer re no stoves. Do they count as a blocked up chimney in this case?

Our house is 'heat pump ready' we have two stoves. Ecodesign standard with a CE mark approved 84% efficiency. No way are they being taken out and us losing our secondary heat source.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Stoves generally dont count as a blocked up chimney as they are still can be left open.

Theres possibly a grey area if they have an external air supply from outside, but id say it will come down to, chimney is not sealed, no grant.

gotta say well impressed with the heat pump tumble dryer.. dried a fairly heavy load yesterday and only used 750 watts.. everything came out dry.. way more efficient that the bosch condenser dryer it replaced..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There's a technology connections video that touches on the heat pump tumble driers and actually it's a poor name for them.

They are dehumidifiers that tumble clothes, any heat generated is just a convenient byproduct of the process.

Instead of heat to dry the clothes it just pulls the moisture out of them. It should be easier on clothes too as they aren't exposed to as much heat

Yep i knew they weren't technically heat pumps but they do a good job! also noticed it helped having the window open to allow for more ventilation in the space.. the first load i ran took 1.1kwhr but similar yesterday clocked in at 750 watts... might all backfire on me, but i was able to pick the dryer up from adverts and sell my old one there without any significant loss.. hopefully the new one lasts 5 or 6 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Retrofitlou

I was told that I could get a stove in to block chimney as long as it had a door on it. But it's too much money for me this year so I'm want to try blocking up the chimney. I know I can brick it up at the fireplace. Put a cowl on the top. A vent in the attic. The part we're unsure about is the blocking the flute at attic level. The specs say you must block at ceiling level of any insulated roo to this is to ensure the heated room does not contain warm air. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Wait, isn't a dehumidifier just a heat pump???? 🤔

I think mine kind of does both, the condenser sucks in air from the drum over the cooling side of the heat pump so it dehumidifies the air

I think it pumps the warm side of the heat pump must be near where the air comes into the drum because the clothes are always warm when they come out

Might be a trick to make it more efficient, warmer air can hold more moisture

But I agree, it's functionally closer to a dehumidifier because a regular dryer will heat the air using a resistive heater and that warm air dries the clothes

Advertisement