Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

A selection of cretinous individuals so repulsive to the electorate I'd think they were controlled opposition if I was a little more cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Having enough money that they can build up an extra spare reserve of 400k. Bizarre that that's described of a pittance.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

There is no tangible threat from the NP, or any other far right party in ireland, thankfully.

I would be more concerned by FG moving back toward the centre right/right, when LV is eventually replaced by a new leader & if that new leader was a little more right wing focused.

I still dont see this as a likley threat, but its a heck of a lot more likley than a far right fringe party developing large scale support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

lol , in reality they are clownish sniveling little mummy's boys who feel hard done by life and want some one to pay for it and developmentally challenged bullies who never grew out of adolescence and try to force their childish notions on everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I'd say CAB might be interested to know how such a small outfit was able to acquire 400k worth of gold.

Did Justin Barrett "win it on the horses" ? That must be how his party paid for the gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

The "thief" Reynolds does in fact have a good amount of personal wealth from land and farming. If I was to put money on it, I'd say that Baby Boy Barrett has somehow conflated "our wealth" and "OUR wealth".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I don't think any of their candidates will even get their money back. They've a loud vocal crowd of about 15 on facebook and twitter but that's about it. Anyone agreeing with them on the street is just trying to get rid of the headcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

One of the reasons given for the party holding funds in the form of precious metals was that they don't trust fiat currency.

Typical trait of the far/alt-right loon. Probably the type that believes in crypto-crap as well. The revenue commissioners should be auditing these sorts to determine the source of every single euro they own and how they spend every penny. Make life unbearable for them to remain here.

In fairness they are right about flat currency it loses value over time but gold will hold its value in the long term.

Remember how much further the euro in our pockets went before covid ?

The Euro and other currencies become worth less and less over time.

• Advertisement

That's always been the way I remember years ago when I agreed to vote for someone when I wasn't even registered to vote and had no idea who they were just to get them out of my way because I was running late and was surrounded by their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

They can't get past their racism which is why they can't even see why they are repulsive to the electorate. Living in their own echo chambers online doesn't help them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's like what they would say. Cop on to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They're always after the leprechaun's gold sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Gold only appears to hold its value well because its price is quoted in US dollars, a currency which it itself subject to inflation, and so is not a good long-term measure of value.

The actual truth is that in real terms the price of gold, like the price of all traded commodities, goes up and down, and currencies backed by gold experience bouts of both inflation and deflation. Sometimes the bouts of deflation are prolonged — for example, in real terms the price of gold declined steadily from 1934 to 1970, losing about 65% of its value. It suffered did even worse between 1979 and 2000, losing more than 75% of its value.

What characterises gold is that its value rises dramatically in real terms during times of economic turbulence; the prolonged deflation of 1934 to 1970 was bookended by periods of rapid rise of the price of gold during the Great Depression and the first Oil Crisis.

So, far from being a good store of value, in real terms gold is in fact highly volatile. If you can predict periods of economic turbulence and move into gold just before them, you'll do very well, benefitting from the price rise. And if you move out of gold just before the economic turbulence stabilises, you'll miss the price fall. But that requires a degree of consistently reliable foresight most of us do not possess.

You'll do much less well if your strategy is to hold gold constantly — if you invested in gold in 1900 and held it for a century, you'd be better off in 2000 than if you'd kept your money in a shoebox under the bed, but you'd be much worse off than if you had put the same money into land, or into a diversified portfolio of equities.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which of their counterparts on the far left have more than €400k in reserves?

It will be tricky enough for the Gardai, as the lads will claim they were entitled to take it. Will the Gardai be studying the governance of the party?

They'll be looking at the provenance of the gold. There's no offence here unless the gold does in fact belong to someone other than the lads that took it.

And this could be embarassing for the National Party, since any evidence that proves the gold belongs to them may also prove that they have breached various provisions of the Standards in Public Office legislation.

Remember though this is their reserve funds so they obviously have a lot more money also

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not just reserves, Anna, but Reserves. You mustn't forget the capital letter.

But, honestly, I think you're attaching rather more weight to their terminology than it can bear. Remember, they also claim that their "Reserve" was kept in a "safe vault". I suspect that by "Reserve funds" they mean "funds", and by "safe vault" they mean "safe" (or possibly "lockable filing cabinet").

I don't think its embarrassing for them given that they are "Anti Establishment" so why would they play by the normal rules ?

• Advertisement

So it's OK for them to be using all sorts of potentially corrupt practice?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I suspect that by "Reserve funds" they mean "funds"

But could they be using gold to cover day-to-day expenses, black baseball caps and the like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,867 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You mean the law? Are you suggesting that being "anti establishment", whatever that means is a reasonable excuse to break the law?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

He's suggesting that "anti-establishment" is a euphemism for "criminal". By describing themselves as "anti-establishment", he suggests, the National Party are saying that they regard themselves as entitled to break the law, and therefore are unembarrassed if detecting in breaches of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Them lads in the caps are vital. Over time walking round with them will make the wee fellah in the middle feel like a big boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Whereas looking at pictures of them makes the precise opposite impression on the rest. Like when a short-statured footballer stands beside Peter Crouch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm certainly no fan of Leo V or his merry band, but why is FG moving back towards the centre right/right a bad thing exactly?

Contrary to idiocy on the likes of Twitter, there's nothing at all to feel "threatened" about by a right-leaning party unless you're part of the group that thinks everything should be paid for by "someone else", or that the criminals and wasters really are poor neglected and misunderstood folks just needing a hug, or that hurt feelings really should be illegal! Plus there's a huge difference between centre-right and far right - the latter of which is a tiny fringe element that will never see any kind of power in this State.

Besides, the current "left" agenda certainly isn't working out very well for the country as the news headlines or many of the topics discussed in this very forum will show. A more "right" leaning Government would seem to be exactly what we need!

But it would be an offence if it wasn't declared in the party accounts.

I don't see why they would declare it in their accounts given that gold is very hard to trace and can easily by moved around without leaving a paper trail.

I suspect it is remember when "Republicans" use to engage in all kinds of criminal activity in order to raise "funds" for "the cause" ?

• Advertisement

"Good Republicans" use to break an awful lot of laws back in the day up to and including murder but it was all apparently for the good of Ireland.

When those lads robbed a bank it was never for personal gain but "for Ireland".

Advertisement