Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times a year do you go abroad be it for holidays or business?

Options
  • 24-07-2023 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I think people should only be allowed one holiday abroad every 2nd year. Rich and poor alike.

Just take a look at Greece to see the damage that has been done to the World.

People going on two or three holidays a year is ridicules. It has to stop. Holiday at home more. If you do not like that though ****.

At least untill clean fuels are developed for planes.

Also plane flights are far too cheap. They need to rise at least 40 per cent. That might slow people from flying more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Jaysus you're some bag of misery.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So far this year 7 return ferries to the UK, 1 return flight to Paris for gigs. Probably another 6 return ferries before the end of the year. All leisure

Back in 2006 I managed 13 return flights in a month (October 2006), some to matches, mostly on business

I have three quarters of a million Avios points to use before I croak it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭seenitall

Twice to three times a year on average, once for family duties, the rest on holidays. Striving to make that 3 to 4 times a year. Baby steps. I more or less work and live for travel, in the main. That’s me, That’s the main thing I want to use my life on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Somewhere between 4-8 trips a year for work, mostly to US and sometimes Europe.

Probably do another 5-8 holidays a year, city breaks, that sort of thing.

Last few years is skewed though with COVID and things aren't back in full swing.

My biggest year was 18 trips with work, I was in the US for a week a month for a year, then in Germany for a week every 2 months.

It can be tough going, but it's been a long time since I spent money on a hotel room for myself, and usually free rental cars too. I don't get much use of the Avios points though. Work doesn't allow me to fly business class, so I have to hope for an upgrade that makes the transatlantics easier to stomach.

I treated my parents to a week abroad which didn't cost me a penny. They were thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭StreetLight

As many as I can to get off this piss-soaked feckin island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

5 return flights, 1 return ferry, so far, and there'll be another return ferry soon and 2-3 more return flights.

Up until this year myself and my other half took the usual one holiday abroad with family and a few hotel breaks. This year hotel breaks have either been non existent because of availability, or beyond our budget.

I do my best to conserve, reuse, recycle in life. But there are limits. I need to live too. This time last year my other half was in an ICU bed fighting for life, and spent the remainder of the year battling cancer. Our kids are at an stage where we can leave them at home, so we intend to grasp every bit of life left in us and get sun on bones and value for money. That won't happen in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

Life is for living. Today I attended a funeral of someone in their mid 30s. Why not make the most of life when healthy and able?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

One holiday a year and maybe a match of two in uk. Sometimes don’t bother with a match. Tbh I’ll be looking to increase the number of holidays in the coming years. So I hope they don’t try to enforce anything like you are suggesting to keep us restricted to Ireland all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭bassy

Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭iniscealtra

Once a year usually. Take the ferry usually. Much less hassle than the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No more than one holiday a year by plane. Have been doing that for 15 or 20 years. Work also similarly light, maybe two trips a year pre COVID. Two since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,984 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Took ferry for main summer holiday. Flew for first time in six years last November. Going to try stick to one return flight a year. Don’t travel for work thank goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I spend almost half the year out of Ireland, mostly Australia, a little bit of Canada and US too. And some Europe. I burn a lot of aviation fuel, soz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

3 normally.

Try to get a new country in every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Twice so far this year, once to the US and also up to Newry. Planning on taking another few trips abroad (although not necessarily Newry).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

1 long haul flight can create 3 tonnes of CO2 per passenger. Half the world's population live generating less than 3 tonnes of CO2 a year.

All those business flights, are they really necessary?

First thing I'd do if I was in charge (after massively restricting private jets) is get rid of first class and business class and make everyone fly in economy. You can still fly. But you don't get to do it at twice - 5 times the carbon footprint of economy class.

Might put people off the more frivolous long haul trips as well

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Why did you fly to Newry. How much time did that save you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

About 4-6 times. Only short haul flights since covid.

Would heartily disagree with the OP since rich people will weasel around it like they do everything else. You'd wreck the economies of the countries you profess to care about in the process. Carbon taxes are a much more sensible measure IMO. It seems senseless to still have business flights when Zoom exists as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

It is also worth noting that a large dog can produce around 2.5 tons of CO2 per year, about the same as a long haul flight. Another way of reducing emissions could be to reduce the number of dogs people keep as pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You can think all you like. Indeed you probably don't think enough at times. Are you not active on the F1 forum? Will you ban them travelling the world just to burn fuel going around in circles?

I haven't been abroad this year yet but sometimes go twice a year. Some years not at all. Can I save up my unused journeys under your masterplan?

I didn't fly, the question was: "How many times a year do you go abroad be it for holidays or business?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Completely unworkable and if they did increase the price of flights to astronomical levels, it would collapse the airline industry but millionaires and billionaires would still get off this island for their sun and sangria.

Like many things relating to climate deterioration it’s going to be done to personal choice and also what a person can afford to do themselves. Most people in Ireland cannot afford a new car, no less an over inflated electric car.

For many people, holidays are one of the few ways of reducing the stresses and strains of modern life- not everyone lives in the sunny south east by the beach, so naturally enough, people have a desire to explore other parts of the world. From personal experience, the cost of a decent 2 week holiday in Ireland is beyond madness - the cost of short stay house rentals are pathetically high- many hotels have deteriorated in terms of standards and service and those worth going to cost a fortune- and that’s before taking into account eating out- you get much bigger bang for your buck going to Europe and beyond and of course, mostly guaranteed sunshine for summer holidays.

I don’t like long haul flights so stick mainly to Europe - I’ve holidayed in Ireland for various reasons since 2018 so was glad to get off the island this year and intend taking more short city breaks throughout 2023 and beyond.

There’s a hell of a lot more to managing climate change than reducing air travel and even if we were to tackle air travel, your idea is unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I dont know about you OP but I live on a tiniy Island with sh!t weather. Im totally environmentally conscious in every way. In fact so much so that I bet my carbon footprint is a fraction of yours, including any flights I take.

But I have a question back for you OP. Tell me about your life and i'll explain your carbon footprint to you and how you can reduce it to what mine is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they could start by applying the same tax and excise to jet fuel as they do to other fuels. the idea of being able to fly to malaga for 20 quid is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭thebourke

4 times this year...

1 long haul flight to Australia to see my sister and some friends.

The other 3 flights were all within Europe.

I know, we all need to cut back on flights...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah, I'd agree with you. Myself, haven't been out of the country five years and then once that year. Why would you, when this country has everything you'd need? To visit relatives, but that'd be about it.

Things are badly wrong when train or bus tickets in Ireland cost more than a gas guzzling tin box flying across the oceans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Would you mind listing out what this country has that would fulfil the requirement of “everything you’d need” ?

Sorry but I don’t see it myself but will happily jump on the Ireland has everything bandwagon with you if you can open my eyes a little.

My wife and I inherited a holiday home down West and we both can work remotely so that’s where we spend the majority of our summers. Will spend the odd weekend/overnight in our house in Dublin.

Do one long-haul flight per year - Australia last year, Chile later this year, Japan on the cards for next year.

Then the odd city break every so often. So less than what we used to tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

14 flights so far this year, at Dublin airport right now waiting on a delayed flight ironically enough.

I feel as though the 'shouty' people will slowly get their way and flight prices will rise so I'm enjoying it while I can.

Advertisement