Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Charlie69

A couple of days after the game now and the pain is starting to ease.

It’s easier now at this stage to see the positives in relation to Derek Lyngs first year in charge.

He had huge shoes to fill and not too many would have been as successful in the transition from the Cody era.

To get us to the final in his first year, blooding a few new players in the process was a huge achievement really and I have to say I really admire how he handles himself with the media duties, speaks very well and comes across as a very humble guy and as someone that would command respect from his players.

We can definitely look forward with optimism in the knowledge we’re in good hands with Derek.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

On a side note, I watched back some of the game last night and I wondered did anyone else think it was unfortunate that Paddy Deegans goal went through the net?

Watching from the Hogan stand it initially looked like the ball had gone wide and I for one had my head in my hands thinking we’d missed another goal chance and there was a collective groan from the KK fans around us instead of what should have been a roar of celebration.

We were actually shocked to look up and see the umpire waving the green flag.

I just think the team didn’t get the usual lift a huge roar from the crowd would have given them after a goal like that. It’s a small thing but I thought it was significant none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I think he did better than most thought he would. He handles himself very well on the sideline and with the media. Players seem to like him. I think his personality is different to Cody. My biggest criticism was he got his starting 15 in the final wrong and i said it when i saw it. Walter Walsh is now an impact sub IMO. The only other concern i have is that he will now have to blood a lot of new players next year. Unfortunately we wont beat that Limerick team with that midfield and we need to find 2 forwards at least.

Yeah I actually agree with all of that but it’s his first year and he will learn a lot from the few things he got wrong but I just wanted to acknowledge the things he has got right so far .

As you say he seems to have a better relationship with the players while still commanding respect and still get the same buy in and work rate from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Have to agree, we didn't get the bounce that you get from a goal, and it was a cracking goal. I was in the Upper Cusack and couldn't understand how it hadn't gone in. I was up off the seat with a roar but down again with my head in my hands like yourself before the flag was raised. The subsequent cheer was no where near what would it have been if the net was intact, bit of a freak incident. Now it wouldnt have changed the result at all, but it was another little thing that didn't go right for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

Agreed, Derek has a tough confidence aI like in a manager without all the dramatics in the media or on the sideline.

The only thing I will say is that Derek has a few tough calls to make this winter, he would have played with Ritchie Hogan so maybe Ritchie will just retire himself without waiting for Derek to let him go.

The hardest part of management it releasing lads from the panel, but Derek won an All Ireland with the under 20s so these lads are the future of Kilkenny hurling so it’s time to get them involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jamesbond2022

You keep spoofing on about the players that aren’t good enough Wally etc

Apart from john Walsh who else should replace thoose players you’ve mentioned ????

If you knew half as much as you think you know you d know the last time john Walsh was on a kk panel he dropped himself off it

And to be honest mullinavat are a fine football club now but haven’t won as much as an arguement at senior hurling level

Thats the only criticism I had but it was a big decision. TBF to him i dont think it made a differnce in the end to the result but i hope he reflects it.

He has a lot of decisions ahead and I think the older players should make decisions in the next couple of months.

I think if he wants to play the modern game he will need a goalkeeper who can ping the ball into forwards better than Murphy. Whether we have that type of goalkeeper who is upto inter county level i dont know.

I think the defence is solid enough as is with hopefully Carey and Blanchfield back in but CB is the position that can be improved.

Midfield is a disaster. Mullen is good on his day but i think he needs to be in the half forward line falling back into midfield to help out.

We need to find at least 2 more forwards who can regularly score 3 points from play in every game. Im sorry but Keoghan Ryan Donnelly blow too cold than hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

The handpass rule change is very welcome. It was so frustrating to watch the Limerick lads running about Sunday throwing the ball at will. Now, it's not the reason they won the game. They won because they were better than us but it frustrated me hugely.

I don't agree with changing the puckout rule as set out here. Picking the ball out short is a legitimate option that doesn't go against the rules/spirit/integrity of the game. That should be left alone but it's wonderful to see the throwing of the ball be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I watched the match in full last night and tried to remove my KK goggles as much as possible.

The narrative of the 2023 finals will be we were blown away in the 2nd half. We weren't, we were blown away in the last 10 mins only.

Mins 35-40, very even but Lim got 2 softish frees to close to 1

Mins 40-45, we outscored them 1-1 to 0-2

Mins 45-50 Lim on top and outscored us 3-1, but the 47th min slip by Mossy when put through on goal with a sublime TJ pass was ultimately fatal for our chances. This is where you can trace our problems. In my mind’s eye I see that ball being sent into Colin Fennelly (like dozens of times with club and county), he catches it easily on the run, speeds on 5-6 meters and bats it past Quaid. And that sadly is the difference between a top-class IC forward and a game trier.

Mins 50-55 Lim well on top 5-0

Mins 55-60 We stop the rot this period and win it 3-1. Crucially however, this should have been 4-0. The idiot umpire missing the 65 and then Keenan allowing Quaid the quick puck out to Hegarty for a point with maybe 10 players inside the 21. This was the end for us, instead of scoring the previous 4 points and being 1 behind entering the last 10 mins, we were now 3 behind. Game over, Limerick chests expanded and from then on, they could have waved their flutes at the ball and it would have flown over.

Even with Lim scoring 9 pts to 1 from 60th min, we created two late golden chances with Cody scuffing a pull he should have stitched and Murphy blowing his chance one on one with Quaid (again after a sublime TJ pass)

We created an astonishing 6 goal chances in a 2nd half (not all of them gilt edged I accept) despite being out hurled for much of it but took just one. Limerick were so accurate we needed at least 3 of them to go in.

We were beaten by a better team, but the match was still in the balance until umpire and Keenan ballsed up and made a three point lead out of it when it should have been one.

Not sour grapes, because I have been banging this drum for years, every team is at it, but Limerick's throwing is just outrageous and, in many instances, so obvious that Keenan must take a black mark for not pulling them up.

Byrnes took two mighty catches in 2nd half and then offloaded both with blatant throws.Tom Morrissey is for me the biggest offender in the country, he rarely doesn’t throw it.

Anyone who values fair play will hope a solution can be found. At this stage I think the handpass will have to go or the game will get ruined

All in all, to be still toe to toe with that Limerick team after an hour and creating a hat full of goal chances, despite carrying at least 4 passengers 8 to 15, is incredible.

Replacing 3/4 players who just aren't top class IC forwards/mids could turn us in to a serious team.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

Very impressed with Tom Phelan, he was like a man possessed in the first half, getting onto breaks, winning puck outs, hooking and blocking and be took a lot of hits off Byrnes and Hayes and kept going back for me.

3 great points from play and set up both Eoin Cody and Paddy Deegans goals, probably our best player until he ran out of puff in the second half.

Adrian Mullen is too forward thinking to be a midfielder, that’s not his fault he just wouldn’t have the defensive mindset of a Will O Donoghue and o Donovan.

For me, all 3 would make Lim 26. Limerick have some very average subs, dont have the depth of bench quality we had 15 years ago or the Dubs football team 4-5 years ago.

Usually when those subs come on, Lim are on front foot and flying, and their subs can look better than they are. Mulcahy and Boylan and O' Reilly? I'd take Hogan, Walsh and Buckley (even now) over that 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Tom morrissey is 89kg Josh van der flier is 103 kg !

These Limerick lads are solid units but no where near pro rugby level back rowers!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Marrooned

We took our eyes off the ball about 10 years ago. And we haven’t started to rebuild even at this stage. About half of the subs were too old on Sunday .Iwouldn’t call that progress. I was happy with the Leinster final win, but for the fact of the older panel members contributions, really these should have been younge players coming on and get them the experience for next year. Billy Drennan was denied the chance to play U20 this year and still he only got 10 mins championship hurling.

Good post…. Yeah so many goal chances, that’s what I meant earlier when I said we had enough chances to ask questions of them, unfortunately we didn’t take them but the scoreboard at the end definitely didn’t reflect our effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭flatty

I don’t think kk are the second best team in the country. They are at a level with Galway. Clare are better, as are Cork.

On Championship results over last two years, there can be no argument that Kilkenny are the 2nd best team in the country.

And the ultimate independent aribtartors on such matters, the bookmakers, have Kilkenny as second favs for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Ah no, cork didn’t make it out of Munster and Kilkenny beat the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭kksaints

Considering we beat Clare twice in the last two seasons and deservedly so both times there is no way you can consider Clare a better team than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

The facts disagree. When you're arguing against facts you're losing.

• Advertisement

My opinion. Blessed to beat Galway in a 50;50 game, and got over clare because of a careless clearance. Cork are better than both from what I’ve seen, but next year will tell a bit more.

The fact is that clare went toe to toe with limerick twice. Kk were battered by limerick on both occasions. I’m not sniping, it’s just that the same as kk were the yardstick a decade ago, limerick are now. It’s against them that performances and teams must be measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

The difference in 1 year.

And Clare were battered by Kilkenny last year and beaten by them this year. Limerick are the team to beat now and everyone else have to get to their level. I dont see any team doing that at the moment. I think there is not much between the rest of the teams in the country. If there was a ranking system in the GAA like other sports Limerick would be No1 Kilkenny No 2 Clare and Galway equal No 3. The rest then fighting it for the other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Clare never met limerick in croke Park.. limerick were at 60pc in munster..and at close to 100pc Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

That tells its own story. From a spread of 15 scorers down to 8. One minor correction - KK scored 2.26 in 2022, all the scores are there, just the tally is one off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think 21 scores to 7 in a half is dominantion in any language, wouldn't be overly critical of Kilkenny as Limerick would have blown away every team in the country in the 2nd half, their shooting efficiency in the 2nd half was 80% as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Well, personally I prefer us to be measured by still being in the thing on the last day of the competition.

It's totally misleading to say that teams have to measure themselves in performances against Limerick, just like that. It gives no account of the difference between Limerick in April, and Limerick in July.

It's against them in July that things are measured.

Otherwise we'd have to say that Waterford are above Kilkenny, which they certainly are not.

We weren't 'blessed' against Galway or Clare, half as much as Limerick were blessed to even be in the Munster Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Totally agree, it was weird in a way, what Kilkenny needed at that time was the big cheer to lift them , that did not come. I’m a limerick man , we were all looking at Kilkenny down through the years to get up to their level, now I think limerick are there, long enough we were out in the wilderness.

• Advertisement

Ye’re certainly not in the wilderness anymore my friend…. I have huge admiration for this Limerick team.

Advertisement