Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times a year do you go abroad be it for holidays or business?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Do you only ever do things you need to do, or do you sometimes do things you like to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

as often as i can...3 times so far this year and 8 times last year,all to europe 🛫

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Interesting suggestions but a hard sell.

As an island country with a large emigrant community scattered across the globe it's a very real issue for many.

Our tourism and export businesses depend on connectivity.

The matter of individual emissions will be dealt with eventually in the meantime there is no need for us to impose unilateral measures.

I see little need for anyone here to beat themselves up over a holiday trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

I think the question is wrong. Business is business. Do I like to fly for business? normally no because it means a lot of hassle and it's never to see the joys of a European or US city. It's a fly in, work like a dog and fly out. It is part of how the World works and has to be done. Would I prefer to not travel for work? yes but then im older. When I was in my 20's going abroad for work seemed exciting.

Holidays I think is the issue you have. I would agree but not from the flights point of view. I think we should try and holiday in Ireland more to keep money in Ireland.

I don't see why we need to make overseas travel more expensive. You are then just cutting out a lot of the population. Not sure why everyone thinks the automatic answer to everything is making it really expensive so then everyone suffers and the airplane companies just make millions more.

In terms of myself for holidays we haven't gone this year. This was down to a combination of things. Next year we are planning a holiday. Normally once a year for holidays, maybe twice if we want to do something special for kids (Disney or Santa)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

This year, I've flown twice to the UK (I live in Spain, btw) and heading to Iceland in August. Probably squeeze in another city break in autumn and likely to fly home for Xmas/New Year's as my brother and his family will be back for the first time since 2019.

Frankly, its up to governments to enforce laws to restrict air travel if its such a problem. Didn't they ban short-haul flights within mainland France when there's an alternative by train? I think internal flights (within reason) should be banned. As an island, Ireland shouldn't face the same restrictions as other countries, imo.

So many of these global summits/G7 get togethers could be done by Zoom, as happened during Covid. Seeing thousands of people descend on a city from around the globe for a climate summit is infuriating and surely defeats the purpose.

Also, motorsports should be on the chopping board first and golf not too far behind. Professional sports, in fact, have a lot to answer for. Manchester United flew to Leicester not too long ago while Real Madrid flew to Zaragoza. Its taking the piss.

More focus should be placed on private jets: if you can afford a private jet, you can afford to pay a carbon tax on its use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Just back from our first family summer holiday since 2018 last week. Go on the ferry to Europe on the motorbike every year will be down in Bilbao in a few weeks over the picos, pyrennes, alps back up through the black forest up onto cherbourg. Think i'd lose my mind if i only could holiday in Ireland.

Going to get as much travel as i can in for the next 10 years before the Greens ruin it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

We spend approx. 8-9 weeks a year abroad, including a 5 week stint in SE Asia in Dec / Jan to get away from the miserable weather here.

All holiday, although I do get stung on the phone / email every so often... but nothing that can't be dealt with while sipping on a beer at the beach.

We don't do any domestic holidaying in Ireland. Coupled with the fact that prices are ridiculous and we have a yacht which we spend almost every weekend on from April - September inclusive, there's no point.

2023 so far hasn't been too exiting... had 6 nights in Prague, going to Croatia for 2 weeks in October but then the big trip, flying to Thailand (cheapest place to fly into by a long mile) for 5 weeks in December. Christmas dinner on the beach has become quite the novelty for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Can you link me to 20 quid flights to Malaga (so, 40 quid return). Those days are gone (but happy to be corrected).. Find them for me and i'l book them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No problem. I do not drive. I do not travel. I have not used a plane or a ship in over 13 years :) .

I do not buy anything that I do not need.

I reduce, Reuse and recycle as much as possible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

There's a couple of 30 quid ones in August of you're looking to go then. End of the month, one way. At DUB right now waiting on my 19 quid flight to Birmingham (delayed). Loads of cool cheap options still it there. I did Vilnius last month for £30 something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I got €30 each way, so €60 return to Italy for October with Ryanair. I booked it quite a bit in advance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well what are you looking for? Leaving aside that the human condition is much the same the world over, you should look into Paddy Kavanagh's line about the undying difference in the corner of a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

A true Green! Not the ones going now, that run the Green Party anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My wife is American so I go over there usually once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seriously some people on here should be ashamed of themselves. 6 to 8 flights a year disgraceful. Yes I hope the greens get there way and I hope there is eventually a limit put on the amount of flights you can take in a year. You can go as long as you like. You can go to Europe and travel all around it by land if you want but 1 or 2 return flights at the most should be the limit.

Disgracefull unless you are really a doctor and saving lives in them countries or training people otherwise is it any wonder the World is fu-cked.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

No, definitely not a doctor in real life. Metal worker here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You’ve got me hooked😀- deffo want to do Christmas markets somewhere this year in Europe - any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

What if I get on ferry... can I go then?

Ireland is a kip and an absolute RIP OFF, I'll never holiday here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭iniscealtra

I would recommend the ferry. I much prefer it to flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭thebourke

Austria, Austria and Austria!! Cheap to get to, can be cheap to stay, almost every city has something beautiful to enjoy. Friendly people. Especially nice in December. It's a country that you can never 'get tired' of. History, architecture, fun, everything!!

So someone going to Australia and back is one flight.

A second flight, since you’ve generously allowed us two, say to Japan.

Now, add up the return flight hours of those two trips and see if it amounts to half a dozen city breaks in various locations in Europe. i think you’ll find that it doesn’t.

I could go to Spain easily 4 times a year and it wouldn’t amount to one long haul flight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Quags

This year I have being abroad 10 times for a mix of pleasure/business and will probably hit 20 by end of the year.

Post edited by Quags on

Ah great thanks- last time in Austria was the late 80s inter-railing and yes absolutely loved it - bout time I went back for a visit- I’ll start my research now.

You'll love it. I mostly fly from the UK as I'm living there now but you'll find good flights from DUB I'd say. Car rental was excellent value there on my most recent trip but I absolutely love driving holidays so that may not suit you, but it was a great option for me. Skyscanner.net if you don't find a flight in the usual places. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

9 times last year.

5 so far this year, with at least another three, likely four long hauls by the end of the year.

When did you give up the driving? Because you're one of the most prolific posters in the Motors forum. Is it because you couldn't drive at night because you're half blind or did you make that up like you made up being trans?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You'll be dead relatively soon in the grand scheme of things and by the sounds of it, you won't really have done very much at all.

Life is for living. As much as I love Ireland and living here, it's a relatively small lump of land off the Atlantic. We all need to get off it a couple of times a year or we'll go mad. Not doing so is just martyrdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Why don't you simply mind your own business? From what you've said here your own life is horrendously boring, existing rather than living. You'll be on your death bed and fondly reminiscing about all the lovely miserable summers you spent on this rock and others will have better memories of travelling and experiencing different cultures and countries.

Advertisement