Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I mean... The poorest fifth of Irish people are 60% richer than their British counterparts. I don't think the UK is quite the land of opportunity it used to be. The cost of living here is getting worse as well. I'm paying £225 per month more than I was this time last year for a different room in the same area.

Alicia and Jakub might be better chancing their arm in Amsterdam or Dublin to be honest. Both expensive but visa free if nothing else.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Oh yeah definitely there's a bigger question of just how attractive the UK is for various reasons, costs, wages etc.

But the flaws with the whole 'time-limited visa for specific roles' system is just something I'm always drawn to.

Here's your Times article with a share token by the way, if anyone wants to read it.

How European baristas and au pairs could return to Britain under government scheme (thetimes.co.uk)

There's echoes of David Davis's famous 'first post of call will be Berlin, not Brussels' late in the article. Seems the Home Office wants to strike these reciprocal au-pair deals with just Spain, Germany and France. But the European Commission is suggesting that 'youth mobility' falls within it's remit and it may insist on an EU-wide deal. The UK is then pointing out that some EU countries have previously done individual deals with non-EU countries, and why can't the same be done for the UK. They really have no concept of the amount of bridges they burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

"...and why can't the same be done for the UK. They really have no concept of the amount of bridges they burned"

Indeed.

We in the EU are very much against exceptionalism - not least English exceptionalism.

Lars 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Another open goal that Labour are going to opt to pass back to midfield. Rather than trumpet from the hills that the Tories have lied and lied and lied and lied they're going to sit back and say nothing and play for another **** 1-0 - they'll get their 5 or 10 years in government and absolutely nothing will change. And then the Tories will beat them 1-0 and we'll be back in the same nonsense for another decade

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This isn't just an impression. The gap between rich and poor really is bigger in the UK.

The Gini coefficient is a measure of income inequality in a country.  A Gini coefficient of 0 (sometimes given as 0%) reflects perfect equality, where everyone has the same income; a Gini coefficient of 1 (or 100%) reflects maximal inequality - e.g. a single individual having all the income while all others have none. The higher the Gini coefficient, the greater the disparity in incomes between rich and poor.

Among the countries of Northern and Western Europe, the UK has the highest Gini coefficient, at 0.37. Other N and W European countries with a high Gini coefficient include Latvia (0.36), Lithuania (0.35) and Luxembourg (0.34). Countries with a low coefficient include the Faroe Islands (0.23), Iceland (0.23), Belgium (0.25) and Norway (0.25).

These figures are based on income after tax, social welfare and other transfer payments.

(Ireland, for the record, is 0.27, just below Denmark and just above Sweden. Of the nineteen countries in N and W Europe, we are no 10 — the median country.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,064 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The sickening bit is they were told by the hospitality industry that this would happen and we needed a visa scheme.

Only to be told hospitality staff are too poor for glorious Brexit Britain.

You will get young people taking up the visas to go do a year of drinkin and ridin same as we do in Australia and Canada but that kind of transient stuff will only fill certain gaps and no matter what it will still be a worse set up than the pre Brexit one.

Well, even that assumes the UK will succeed in making the agreements it wants.

Even if it's correct that Germany, France and Spain can make bilateral youth mobility arrangements with the UK — do they want to? While the UK has a sectoral labour shortage that it thinks can be filled by young Europeans on temporary visas, I'm not sure that Germany, France or Spain feel they have a corresponding labour shortage that they need young temporary UK workers to fill.

If this were part of a more broad-based realignment towards the EU, the UK could get what it wants by trading it for something else that EU countries want. But if its just about youth mobility, that's not possible. if, e.g., Germany doesn't feel a pressing need for young British workers, what's in this for Germany?

According the report in the Times, the EU Commission is taking the view that this is a labour market matter, and therefore an EU competence, and so any agreement should be between the EU and the UK. The UK suggests that, although there's an overlap with the labour market, youth mobility is a something that EU member states can address themselves. My understanding is that, strictly speaking, the UK is probably correct; if a member state wants to do this it, and the Commission might be disappointed, but can't prevent it. But it still raises the stakes; member states have no reason to piss off the Commission for no good reason, so if they are to make such a deal then the UK needs to offer them something that will make it worth their while. It's not immediately clear what that might be.

A big question here is why would the EU bother.

This is a deal as usual is totally one sided.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not sure that bilateral deals with individual EU states are even possible. The EU won't bother unless it's getting something in return.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

As long as they don't contravene EU law as regards, e.g., the Schengen rules or labour market regulation, EU member states can enter into youth mobility agreements with third countries allowing entry and working rights. We know this because several EU countries have already done this with a variety of third countries. So in principle an EU member state could make a youth mobility agreement with the UK.

But the scope of that agreement would be limited by EU law. What that means in practice is probably quite technical. Whether this limitation would mean that the agreement couldn't cover something the UK wanted it to cover, I can't say.

There are the other factors already pointed to — just because member states can do this doesn't mean they want to. Apart from the obvious consideration of whether Germany, Spain, etc has any interest in attracting young temporary workers from the UK, there's the fact that EU member states have spend the last seven years resisting UK attempts at cherry-picking, and they might be more cautious about making a bilateral agreement with the UK than they would with a less politically charged third country. The member states, as well as the Commission, might prefer that any youth mobility agreement with the UK should be an EU-wide one. Recognising the sensitivities here, the European Affairs Committee of the House of Lords has recommended that the UK government should pursue a youth mobility scheme with the Commission, rather than with individual member states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭yagan

There's no incentive for EU countries countries to entertain UK desires for some youth mobility as they already have the advantage of being attractive for young UK talent who want to get out of the UK.

EU countries don't need British love island wantobes, and brexit has neatly curtailed the costa del Blackpool types who never had any interest in contributing to their host countries.

The main advantage for the EU countries is not so much the opportunity to hire temporary workers from the UK as the opportunity for their own citizens to work temporarily in the UK

It's true that there are 27 other countries in which their own citizens can work temporarily (or permanently), but many people want to work in an English-speaking country, because their own second or third language is English and (a) they are more employable in an Anglophone country here than they would be in a country where they do not speak the language, plus (b) they want to improve their English by living and working in an Anglophone environment. Ireland and Malta can only accommodate so many of them. So, if the UK were more open to them, that would be a benefit.

But its probably a bigger deal for the UK, where many businesses are crying out for young, transient workers, than it is for any EU country. This is a situation in which the UK needs the EU or its members states more than they need it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The idea of living for 2 years as a youngster in London would be incredibly appealing to a lot of people for reasons that extend beyond financial. Its still one of the top few cities in the world and able to offer things few other places (and almost nowhere in Europe) can. It being a perfect route to both have fun and perfect your English is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

But how affordable/practical would it be if you can only work as a barista/waiter/shop assistant?

That's the thing. I feel squeezed here and I work for an elite university in a high skilled role. I just applied for two positions in Paris and Amsterdam as well.

I get that were talking about a very young demographic but I'm struggling to see how living on a zero hour contract in an expensive country is going to offer any benefit beyond practicing English. They could just as easily move to Ireland which is a more welcoming country. Some will apply of course but it's not panacea that it's being sold as. We're talking about a systemic problem caused by the government via its pursuit of a full Brexit dashed with xenophobia and hostile rhetoric.

This country just doesn't feel like things are getting better. I've no idea how it is in Ireland or other EU countries but we're still getting the same claptrap about remainers and elites from actual elites.

For a temp working holiday visa in an english language setting Australia and New Zealand are still more appealing to that young adventurer type you describe.

Temp wages are too grindingly low everywhere in England to make it an adventure.

Done for 8 years and had the time of my life.

If it's only for 2 years all you need is enough money for a basic room, beer and contraceptives. Many pubs in the UK offer practically free live in accommodation too (less than there used to be though)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I'm not understanding it either. I went to Australia on the working holiday visa and could work at whatever I wanted. So earned decent money and had a great time. Would have been way more restrictive if I was on barista wages (admittedly I don't know how much baristas make, maybe it's loads).

Climate was a bit better too. Maybe the UK is more attractive a working holiday destination for Europeans than it would be to us in Ireland but if given the choice of UK vs Australia (considering the temporary nature of both visas) I'd spend the extra few quid and go further south.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well there's the US Electoral College. And the compromise based on the number of slaves held in southern states at one point.

What really shows up FPTP in the UK is the way they setup Proportional Representation in other countries. That's how we and a lot of other independent countries got PR, how the devolved governments have it.

The Scottish system is so rigged that if introduced here then FF of old would have spawned a load of "Independent FF" candidates to soak up later votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Proportional Representation has its problems too. A voting system must be seen as fair, but it must also ensure a working government of some stability can be formed and the elected parliament can and will pass good and relevant laws.

It is a large and complicated job to make a PV system that works. A well designed PV system can be hugely better than the FPTP system, but it must be well designed.

The German PV system with a party minimum of 5% of the votes to get any MP's elected is quite extreme antu small parties, but it works as there is a long tradition of coalition governments and working across party lines in Germany.

The Italian system has created far too many elections and governments.

More countries have had problems with very small groups of MPs with 'one subject special views' only literally blackmailing the political system to forward their extreme views not otherwise supported in the population.

Lars 😀

• Advertisement

The proposed scheme wouldn't confine you to working in hospitality or retail. It's seen as a mechanism for relieving shortages in these areas, that's all, but if you're on a youth mobility visa and you're offered a job as a temporary chief executive of Coutts bank you will be free to take it.

You may think that the opportunity to work in London is unattractive if you will have difficulty getting other than a minimum wage job, but the fact is that prior to Brexit it's an opportunity a lot of people took, and the expectation is that if they could take it now, they would.

Not all of the potential takers-up of a UK youth mobility visa have the option of an Australian working holiday visa. Only 12 of the 27 EU countries are eligible for the Australian scheme.

There are already visas for people wanting bank executive jobs. The post Brexit immigration rules had exemptions for high paid workers because the stupid racists who voted for Brexit only wanted to stop a certain kind of foreigner and the fat lazy unemployed Daily Mail reader had absolutely no clue as to the background of the average hospitality worker.

But which is it? People mention it being handy for a banking job, when in reality banking won't have visa problems that casual work employers would.

The youth mobility notion is basically to fill the gaps for companies that are below skilled employment, probably zero hour contracts in catering and hospitality. Anyone with certified skills and experience who really want to get the London look will secure a good contract with a sponsored visa without a problem. But anyone in that position will have no shortage of better paying options in the EU, the US, Oz etc...

Where I do see the UK scheme being attractive is for EU citizens who suddenly need to get out of EU jurisdiction before a warrant is served.

I distinctly remember a vox pop with someone saying they wanted to end unskilled EU migration. The reporter then presented a series of scenario such as "Polish chef" to them and the voter said that all of them should be allowed to come to the UK to work.

Over 90% of migrants from the EU worked but a subset of voters seemed to be unable to see them as anything other than a threat, a nuisance or a scrounger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Plus, there's the always fresh fallacy that in deporting migrant workers, the shortfall would be taken up by enthusiastic & grateful locals who'd take the (sub)minimum wage, delighted at an honest day's graft, instead of scrounging on welfare. And if they don't, well it's just typical of that generation, innit? Bring back national service etc. etc.

Yeah, that was a good one. Let's get rid of all those precious care sector and road sweeping EU migrants so we can claim them back for our own. I remember there was some demented scheme to get UK people to pick fruit. Barely anyone applied and the farmers complained that the few who did were vastly inferior to the Eastern Europeans.

My comment about the banking job was a joke. But some people are suggesting that participants in the youth mobility scheme will be confined to working in hospitality, retail, etc. This is not so; with very limited exceptions, participants can take any job they are offered, and can certainly take jobs that, if they were not on the mobility scheme, would require sponsorship. But it's expected that many of them will, in fact, take traditional "backpacker" jobs and the attraction of the scheme for the UK is that it will make it easier to fill those jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Contraceptives and beer? no food then? 😄

The Scottish system is so rigged that if introduced here then FF of old would have spawned a load of "Independent FF" candidates to soak up later votes.

How do you mean?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I suppose what you're describing is like how many Irish went out to OZ/NZ on working holiday visas, and then when an employer took a shine to them they became a sponsor for a residency visa. Didn't always work. When I lived there an immigration scam exposed by the Oz unions where Irish casual labourers were been sponsored as experienced construction managers.

For an EU worker just needing to sustain their home economy the backpacker visa will be hassle if they there are many more visa free options in the EU. It was easy when the UK was in the EU, veg pickers could come and go working seasonally without having to consider visas, just as many Irish built their life in Ireland by working sporadically over decades in England.

• Advertisement

The people who use that reason for being anti immigration are always talking about someone else. Other English people will now sweep roads and serve pints not the person in question.

There is a fallacy about hospitality that it's easy. Yes it's easy to teach someone to pull pints but you can't teach them to be good at it. For cultural reasons outside of UK citizens the pub trade is overwhelmingly UK citizens and you can't just cut that cord because you feel like it.

Advertisement