Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,635 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There is also the Eton/Oxford aristocracy bullsht of getting to say you were PM regardless of whether or not you were any good.

It's the same mentality as all these classics graduate MPs who write a book nobody will read so they can put "published author" on their CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Also being a former PM, for however long, is a huge money spinner. Even the one defeated by a Lettuce is earning millions.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A lot of those books are ghostwritten anyway such as Johnson's Churchill biography.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Well of course they are. Writing a book takes effort which is frowned upon by Oxford toffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭PommieBast

There's a piece in the FT that states these elections are a disaster for Conservative enviornmentalists. Wedge issues like this won't save them but there is still the pressure to resort to them..

• Advertisement

Greens got 10% in Somerset in the by-election. Apparently a fair amount of this came from big Tory towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

he is little more than a PR spin guy and a middle management type

Sunak really is the emptiest suit of any politician at his level I can think of. You'd think any party leader would be able to summon up some genuine emotion when his party had just won a by-election against the odds but no, Sunak's response came across just as phony as every other public statement he's ever made, obviously prepped to the nth degree by his handlers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The man can't even walk into a café off the street without it looking utterly insincere & phony. But it doesn't surprise either because this isn't new for Sunak.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

aaaaaaggggggghhhhhh - what level of stupid has the man gotten to?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Has Frost ordered the big red bus with the 5.5% loss of GDP because of Brexit to be spent on combatting Global Warming?

You could not make this up. The guy who negotiated the 'quickest deal in history - Brexit' is now advocating re-joining because of its detrimental effect of UK GDP. What a xxxx.

• Advertisement

He doesn't give a shte as long as he can position himself at the forefront of something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hooray, money saved on Warm Banks; just chuck the poor out onto the street and let them stay cosy that way.

Honestly, this was always the way things were going with climate-change deniers and right-wing folk in charge: I had already seen the start of the narrative in America that "we can't stop climate change, let's just bunker down and outlast the poor/brown people", so I'm not remotely surprised we now see the first seeds of that same narrative peddled in the UK. I expect it to grow louder as the climate starts to properly collapse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's all so terribly cynical. Climate change means that farming areas in the global south will spur more people to migrant meaning more political capital that right wing grifters can make leading to more performative sadism and cruelty. Look at what the war in Ukraine did to grain prices and that's one (albeit a particularly large exporter) country.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

And there it is. The final step on the way to full Trumpism:

An actual serving prime minister propagating propaganda from a partisan outlet to smear the opposition. This country can be truly disgusting sometimes.

H. H. Asquith

It's all Labours fault. The party who are not in power need to be stopped. 🙄

You would think that someone who's family are not white would be careful about whipping all this sht up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was prepared to give Sunak the benefit of the doubt, but it appears he is little more than a thug in a suit at this stage.

His attack on lawyers is equally bad - he seems to be saying that any lawyer who helps a refugee in court is on the side of criminal gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Australia, with their slightly better voting system, had a load of "teal independents" elected last time. Environmental Tories who wouldn't support either the Australian Greens or the Lib/Nats anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There is no 'seems to be' about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Are you new to politics?

This is hardly earth shattering stuff.

Of course its nothing got to do with the Labour leader being a human rights lawyer.

• Advertisement

It is very new in terms of UK politics. You shouldn't look at everyone through the prism of Trump.

I remember recently there was uproar when Raynor said Tories are scum. And there was an MP removed from the house for calling Johnson a liar (which he was subsequently found to be by the HoC Committee).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

New? Just look up the Thatcher period.

It's not new and I didn't mention Trump. The original poster did.

I find people who use Trump in their argument usually haven't got an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The question about David Frost is, what fossil fuel lobbyist wrote his bullet points and how much does DF benefit?

He should no longer be known as David Frost as David Thaw now seems more apt.

I can't find any examples of the same thing during Thatchers time. Can you provide one?

Attacking lawyers, claiming anyone who helps a refugee a criminal and linking the Royal opposition to criminal behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I saw someone make the observation today that the Conservative Party has effectively become UKIP. There doesn't seem to be even an ounce of a difference between the two parties. You could nearly imagine Sunak standing in front of a 'breaking point' poster at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well you sadly may be right. However if the GE is tight, allowing for FPTP, then the UK people don't deserve any better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think Labour will have a decent majority but a Hung parliament with Labour as biggest party would be an excellent result.

Far more chance of PR of some sort, and hopefully the Greens/Lib Dems might make the next government a tiny bit progressive because Labour offer nothing, other than being not Tories as it stands.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I see Sunak's latest act of vacant virtue signalling is to call for a review of Neighbourhood low traffic zones.

Plans to ban 20mph (32kph) residential zones is also being muted.

It's all they have. They've somehow united housesharers, renters and homeowners against them so now they're trying to divide people into car owners and those without. It's all rather tawdry but completely par for the course.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The wildcard is what happens in Scotland. I doubt Labour would get the swing needed for an overall majority on English/Welsh seats alone.

Advertisement