Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bawnBeag

anyone know if there is there a flogas BWG dual fuel offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Does anyone know what this Solis Inverter alarm code means? “BAT-DOC” - it’s not on their website or in the manual.

Battery - D(something) of charge?

I’m having no grid errors at the moment (again!) so I used my changeover switch to run off the battery before I can get someone to call out and take a look.

Anyway, everything is fine until the battery hits 71%, the power goes off in the house and I get the error above.

The house was pulling approx 700W when it shut down - that doesn’t seem like a lot so unsure why it all shut down on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What battery config do you have and what does the battery voltage read after that event? Are all batteries seen by the Solis?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

It’s a simple setup - a single Dyness BX51100 (5.2kWh) and the inverter sees it/charges it etc. I didn’t note the battery voltage at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dev1234

Hi all,

I've just replaced my Harvi and I'm unable to connect it to my Zappi.

It's a V1 Zappi and I've removed the old Harvi from the Connected Devices list.

I've cycled through the channels on both the Harvi and the Zappi to no avail.

I've also reset the radio comms on the Zappi. Still nothing.

Has anyone had this issue before? If so, is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

have you tried asking in MyEnergi Zappi v1 forum

btw, is the Zappi set as master?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Thanks jk,

I've emailed myenergi this week so I'll hopefully hear back from them soon.

If they are slow to get back to me I'll post on the forum above.

Thanks again!!

there's an Irish support email and phone number as well

give them your serial numbers so they can log in and check your devices and data

but one thing to try if you feel comfortable doing it...is the trusty IT support trick... disconnect the Zappi at the fuse board and then reconnect, people have found this sometimes helps and is at least worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

I assume you mean turn off the isolator switch for the Zappi. Leave it off for a half minute. Then turn it on again. Not disconnecting it from the fuseboard.

I powered it off before and had to restart it twice before if picked up our home wifi properly. Don't need to change anything on the Zappi after the restart. It holds it's setting from what I recall. Maybe check the charging mode is set as you expect. Like eco++

• Advertisement

Thanks folks, I've turned off the isolator switch but still no connection.

The myenergi help desk have picked up my ticket so hopefully they'll be able to provide a solution.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Got an email from my supplier (SSE) today informing me thatSmart meters will be required for FIT from 11th Sept and this change is applicable to all suppliers. Anyone else receive similar e-mails? DrPhilG are we likely to be able to get Day/Night rate compatible smart meters fitted in that time period or can we demand retention of our existing day night tarrif when we switch over to smart meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

From ESBN Smart Meter Upgrade FAQs (esbnetworks.ie)

From September 2023, we will begin exchanging three new meter types, these include:

day-night meters which have two registers to separately record the electricity you use during day and night.

replacing standard 3 phase 24-hour electricity meters which are used in larger installations, namely industrial and commercial settings, large farms and domestic premises. (They can be identified by the presence of 3 main fuses instead of one fuse in single phase installations). 

replacing the meters for customers who no longer use their Night Storage Heating meters with a smart meter

So they'll only start in September, don't see them changing all our day/night meters in 11 days 🤔

We should still be on our existing tariffs just like old 24h tariffs remained the same even on smart meter. The whole point of the rollout above is too allow for existing day/night but using a smart meter

so SSE are saying that you won't get deemed CEG if you have a non-smart Day\Night MC002 meter from Sept on? I'd ask them on what legal basis they are basing that on. has the CRU mandated this?

and the installation of a smart meter by ESBN has zero bearing on your tariff, that is between you and your supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

Don't be expecting the CRU to do anything apart from sleeping at the wheel if a supplier chances their arm like that. A toothless kitten I'm afraid.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

FWIW I spoke to a lovely cheerful and most helpful girl in SSE who rather peevishly detailed the smart meter tarrifs and was even incredilious and a bit embarrased/amused herself when she told me the day, off peak and peak rates and all were higher than my current day/night rate. She said "I guess that's the price they expect people to pay for not reading their meters"

Anyway, I related what idc had posted and she said that there was a special code she had to input for these day/night rate compatible smart meters and she would specify that in their communication to ESBN, so that they don't come out and install a meter for me next week which isn't compatible and have to come back and install a new compatible one in Sept.

We'll see what happens next. She said I can expect some communication from ESBN

Its actually ridiculous if they can stop on 11th, its not our fault ESBN couldn't of just rolled out compatible meters in the first place along with 24hour smart meters. Everybody on day/night meters should stay on deemed until like 99% of customers have been upgraded or the switch occurs on the date of meter change. eg deemed up to that point and then on date of changeover they start applying actual export readings

Edit: Actually the way this happened with 24h meters I expect they will just stop us all on the 11th 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Sligobuck

I have heard from a source in ESBN that a lot of the smart meters installed are being replaced already with different units due to corrosion particularly in coastal areas....where does it all end!

🌞 8.60kWp PV System. Comprised of 6.2kWp @ 235° azimuth + 2.4kWp @ 145° azimuth, roof angle @ 35°, North Sligo 🌞

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Doesnt help when the guy reading the meter doesnt close the bloody door right. then i hear it slapping in the wind at night.

Interesting on the DN deemed FIT ending. Although come sept I wont be exporting anything anyway so i'll not be in a panic.

Maybe thats why the general cutoff - someones decided its winter and no one would be exporting anyway that time of year 🤣 irrespective of how many panels you have!

• Advertisement

yep, our fecking meter door took off in the last storm, was flying around the place.. so advice to all, check the meter cabinet door if the see the feckers calling to read the meter! going to insist that ESBN replace it whenever they call.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

So, I have to apologise to everyone. I got solar installed this month and broke the weather we were having for all of June before that. 🙂

On a more technical note, however, I know that July has pretty much been a bust for Solar PV (at least in North Dublin). I got a 2.1 kWp system (5x420W panels, Growatt SH5000 inverter), south facing, and for the three weeks that it's been installed even with patches of sun, the highest peak PV generation we've seen is between 1.2-1.4 kW.

Is this something I should be worried about, or is it the bad / cloudy / wet weather is preventing it from getting closer to expected levels?

Should I wait and see what August brings weather wise before following it up with the installer?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Any shading on the panels, @Fingleberries? I have a three-microinverter install of 1.9kWp and I saw a max peak of 1.7kW today and a sustained energy of 1.4kWh between 12:00 and 13:00 today. So yours sounds low as it's 18 degrees C with a slight wind, so it shouldn't be overheating the panels.

What was your kWh over the peak hours of today and what pitch are the panels at?

Definitely something wrong there. I have two inverters one 1kW with 1.33kWp (SE) and 5kW with 4.65kWp (SE/SW) split and today north dublin 12.55 had a peak of 1.12kW and 4.7kW. So with a south facing array you should definitely be seeing higher. Also going back the last 3-4 days have all had similar peaks even with the current bad weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Is this applicable to existing or new solar installs i wonder? Any chance you could paste the text from the email?

Anyone else get notified from any other supplier? iE here and nothing yet...

The growatt reporting system is poor and exporting data is not very handy (I sense Home Assistant / Grott in my future) - sorry for the graph screenshots

Thanks @10-10-20 and @idc - I had a max peak today of 1.16kW (two times) and generally fluctuating around 800W-1kW from 11:00-14:30

• I'm not sure of the pitch of the roof, it's a standard mid-terrace (c. 2003 build) - eyeballing it, I reckon between 35 to 40-odd degrees.
    • The panels are around the top of a dormer window, so there is some expected shading on one panel on either side of the window in the early morning and the late evening.
    • The best day was on 8 July (mostly sunny with patchy clouds) - between 9am and 11am it averaged about 1kW+

8 July - best overall day with 7+kW generated

16 July - best day for 12:00-13:00 generation (average above 1.0kW)

Since going live on 8 July, it's produced 78kW - I know that July has been grim, but I feel it's particularly low.

Thanks again for advice.

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Hi Folks,

Just wondering on these solar installs how much that brings up your BER rating of the house in question. Roughly, or can it

not be quantified in that way?

R.

@Fingleberries, 8th of July for me was 8.9kWh, and I have shading issues on my panels (hence the ratios for each colour differ over the course of the day)!

That's from Home Assistant. So yeah, I think you're seeing some under-performance. Can you be sure that you received 420w panels?

Oh, and I'm in South Dublin.

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

Thanks 10-10-20. I had the feeling that it was under performing but wasn't sure because of the terrible weather.

The installer invoiced for 420w panels, but I didn't look closely at them when they were going up.

I'll call the installer back out to investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭paulbok

Advertisement