Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuclear - future for Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Shoog

An article outlining why Hydrogen is a terrible idea;

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/the-hydrogen-economy-faces-big-challenges

If I can dig this up in a few minuits why are supposedly intelligent people promoting this guff. There is a fairly high probability that Toyota will go bankrupt for its reluctance to ditch hydrogen for the proven technology of batteries. It may already be to late for Toyota to recover lost ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I think for a country like Ireland SMR's (new tech) could provide the answer to power generation using fissile material.

They should in theory be cheaper, quicker to deploy, more reliable and safer.

Regulation and Research/Development are hampering the like of NuScale significantly though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"You can always twist the argument by picking the most expensive nuclear construction project mismanagement failure in all of human history, which it is."

I'd pick that example because they are our closest neighbours, with the same legal and planning system and typically the same construction firms operate across both countries with very similar infrastructure costs.

"I could tell you that the two most recent South Korean Shin Uljin-1 and -2 APR-1400 reactors cost $3 billion each, or that 4 of the same reactors were just switched on in the UAE for $6 billion each or that Poland have contracted for several APR-1400's at $4.5 billion a pop, but any example that isn't Hinkley you don't want to hear about."

The same Korean firm that was found to be using counterfeit parts in their Nuclear power plants and falsifying safety certifications! Lovely!

I honestly don't know why you keep bringing up this example, it is a terrible example from the Nuclear industry and makes it look really bad!

BTW I've no idea where you are getting the cost of $4.5bn per reactor in Poland! The actual cost if €22 Billion for the Nuclear power Plant, with two APR1400 reactors, outputting 2.8GW total. Or €11 billion per reactor (1.4GW) if you prefer. Though breaking out the cost per reactor like that is a bad idea as it ignores all the surrounding cost of the Nuclear power plant facilities.

https://www.enerdata.net/publications/daily-energy-news/polands-pge-and-ze-pak-form-jv-develop-28-gw-patnow-nuclear-plant.html

Even at that relatively cheap Polish price, your claimed 15GW worth of Nuclear in Ireland using this dodgy Korean company would actually be €116 billion, almost double your claimed figure!

And of course all of the above assumes no cost overruns! Given the history of the Nuclear industry, yeah....

BTW I notice that you don't mention the first Nuclear power plant being built in Poland by Westinghouse. Probably because you know 6 years ago Wetignhouse went bankrupt leaving one of two Nuclear power plants they were building in the US unfinished, the project cancelled after 9 billion spent on it with nothing to show for it! The second plant is about to come online, but after costs increaed more then 10 fold!

Don't get me wrong, I truly hope that the Polish get this right and it is a success and it brings a new future for Nuclear power in Europe. But we have to wait and see, the Nuclear industry is extremely damaged and they have much to prove. Keep in mind the Polish haven't even started construction on the first plant yet, so we have a very long way to go to see if this will actually work out and hit the cost claims.

Your betting your future on a totally unproven technology which doesn't have a realist roll out schedule.

Thats just plain madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Go tell that to the ESB, I think their hydrogen based master plan is unworkable. But hydorgen is what's needed if you reject zero CO2 Nuclear in favour of renewables.

Here is the ESB's Hydrogen based master plan for Ireland:

• Advertisement

SMRs are not unproven, they have been used very successfully in submarines for decades, with great success and infinetely worse space constraints. The main difference is that without the space constraint, regular nuclear fuel can be used instead of weapons grade. There are 436 nuclear reactors around the world, the tech is not unproven.

What is totally unproven is an entire country, including home heating and transport, run off nothing but renewables and hydrogen, which is Ireland's current plan. It's also totally uncosted, partly because it's never been done and partly because the public probably wouldn't accept the figures or the implied taxation and energy costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'm not betting anything.

I think it could be used as filler for night time/low wind. All technology was new and unproven at one time you know.

You are contradicting the ESB. Good luck with that.

the public probably wouldn't accept the figures or the implied taxation and energy costs.

and yet you seem to think the public would be ok with nuclear plants in their community, nuclear waste being stored in their community, nuclear fuel being trucked through their communities and all of the associated risks

I'd love to meet that public

Could a single watt of Nuclear be on the grid by 2030 ?

If not what would that mean for our binding climate obligations ?

• Advertisement

I have been following the miracle of pebble bed reactors and Thorium reactors for the last decade now and I haven't yet seen them go into production. I was quite excited by them at the start of the hype - but the more I dug into them the more the promise faded. As is typical they are a just over the horizon technology which has no roll to play in us meeting our binding climate targets which are current and pressing.

OL3, Hinkley and the Flamanville reactor fiasco, all have two things in common; EDF and severe cost blow out.

If someone were to suggest to me that EDF was the only option for nuclear in ireland, I'd stop arguing and give up.

You'd be mad to look at EDF's multi decade reactor experiment instead of a South korean built APR-1400, 6 of which have actually been built and turned on with several more scheduled in Poland.

OL3 was first of a kind and was 13 years delayed and is EDFs stuff up, cost wise. 2 APR-1400 were built in South Korea in 6 years and 3 in the UAE in 9.

Would someone please explain to me why the Irish accept this idea things are excessively expensive to do here and yet never seem arsed to do anything about it?

The children's hospital is going to cost 5-6 times that of the one just built in Perth Australia, on a basis of floor area. Why is this acceptable?

But here's the kicker - if this Irish cost inflation is so unavoidable, then why doesn't it also apply to the alternative technologies Ireland has signed up for, like OSW and solar and vast hydrogen storage systems?

Why do you think that only nuclear would be Irish cost inflated but everything else wouldn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its funny how the projects that happen far away in a country with limited English language media always seem come in much cheaper than the closer ones where we have much more access to data on costs and projections....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"SMRs are not unproven, they have been used very successfully in submarines for decades, with great success and infinetely worse space constraints. The main difference is that without the space constraint, regular nuclear fuel can be used instead of weapons grade. There are 436 nuclear reactors around the world, the tech is not unproven."

Again you repeat this nonsense despite me correcting it multiple times before.

Military SMR's use highly enriched uranium, over 90% enriched, which is banned by international treaty from being used in commercial reactors as it is basically weapons grade. Civilian reactors can only used 4% or so.

As a result the existence of military reactors is no prove at all that Civilian SMR's can be commercially produced. They are basically completely different, using different technologies and approaches.

Also I see you have no reply to you being massively off on the cost of the Polish reactors!

I guarantee that any reactor built in Ireland would cost more than Hinkley C not less, and that is based upon a more difficult planning regime, a more difficult political landscape, the fact that we are an island nation with limited experience in heavy industy infrastructure and simple experience of watching every major infrastructure project overrun in cost and time.

And heres a clue as to why the childrens hospital has so badly over-run in cost and time - because of bad choices at the planning stage and political interference. These are both likely factors in any Nuclear project. Simply getting the necessary legislation through the Dail would be all but impossible without even considering the drafting of the enabling legislation necessary to allow a regulatory framework. Every man in the street and his dog understand how the children's hospital went off the deep end.

Ask any major operator in Ireland how easy it is to get a project off the ground and how long it takes to get an EPA permit to operate - and that is in industries where their is a track record.

Its fantasy land stuff going on here, but fortunately the political establishment seem to understand this.

That enerdata pricing is an estimate. I can't find an actual pricing for the contract, probably because it hasn't been signed so there is no agreed cost yet, but it's not going to be €10 billion per reactor if this was based on fact:

Earlier, competition between Westinghouse and KHNP for the main contract had become contentious. KHNP had reportedly offered to build six APR1400 reactors with a capacity of 8.4GWe for $26.7 billion. The Westinghouse offer was $31.3 billion for six AP1000 reactors with a total capacity of 6.7GWe, while EDF’s bid for its EPR technology was for $33-48.5 billion for four to six reactors. Polish media reported that KHNP had also proposed post-construction technology transfer to Poland and media speculation was that the contract would go to

https://www.neimagazine.com/news/newswestinghouse-and-khnp-may-both-build-npps-in-poland-10144809

That's €2.87 billion per GW.

There were no counterfeit parts in the Korean scandal. All the parts were genuine, some inspection reports were falsified. Boeing gets up to similar stuff. I presume you will never set foot on one of their planes again.

Anyway, all of this is beside the point as I priced that 15 GW at €60 B based on the Barakah NPP, which was $24.4 B for 5.38 GW, so €4.09 B per GW so x 15 = 60.

The technology Ireland is pursuing, wouid cost €86 B for the same power output, allowing for infrastructure longevity and capacity factor differences.

"The technology Ireland is pursuing"

No they are not pursuing that technology since there is no realist plan to ever build a reactor given it is illegal with no plans to change that.

Meanwhile in the cutting edge world of Small Nuclear Reactors

"Los Alamos County Councilors,I hope you will choose to take this unexpected off-ramp rather than continue to delay the inevitable. The UAMPS CFPP project looks to be slowly dying, apparently because not enough communities believe it to be a viable project, or perhaps because of a lack of transparency. If you choose to continue, then you can make this a better project.

I submitted the questions below to the Utilities Board prior to their July 21 meeting. The Director of the Utilities Department asked CFPP to address these questions at the July 21 meeting, and Mr. Baker and Mr. Hughes did address most of them during their presentation and under questioning by Ms. Walker. Their responses were incomplete, contradictory, and generally unsatisfying. The three of most importance are the Economic Competitiveness Test (ECT), the work on the reactor core being done by Fromatome and Enfission, and the rather curious explanations of the 54% change in output with no design changes."

https://losalamosreporter.com/2021/07/27/carbon-free-power-project-dont-continue-to-delay-the-inevitable/

The project has hit significant cost over-runs (surprise).

https://energycentral.com/c/ec/nuscale-small-modular-reactor-costs-hit-hard-inflation

"That enerdata pricing is an estimate. I can't find an actual pricing for the contract, probably because it hasn't been signed so there is no agreed cost yet, but it's not going to be €10 billion per reactor if this was based on fact:"

Another article here saying it will be €22 Billion:

https://www.polskieradio.pl/395/7786/Artykul/3150758,polish-energy-giants-team-up-to-build-nuclear-station-with-south-korean-partner

"The planned nuclear station is estimated to take 12 years to build and cost PLN 100 billion (EUR 22 billion), reporters were told. "

This is the latest news, your article is a year old and this is the price as they actually approach signing contracts.

"Anyway, all of this is beside the point as I priced that 15 GW at €60 B based on the Barakah NPP, which was $24.4 B for 5.38 GW, so €4.09 B per GW so x 15 = 60."

You can feck right off with that bullshit! A Nuclear reactor built by a dodgy Korean company in a Middle Eastern desert with slave labour of a super dodgy Dictatorship!

And you think that would translate to Ireland!! Bullshit!

15GW going by the above Polish prices would come in at €117 Billion, going by the cost of Hinkley Point C it would cost €170 Billion.

Plus the cost of a long term Nuclear waste storage facility, another €20 Billion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭gjim

Small Nuclear Reactors are a thing for the military to simplify fuel logistics - they are used despite the horrendous expense involved in running them, not because they produce electricity cheaply.

Fundamental physics dictates (and practical experience has shown) that they will always be far less efficient/burn more fuel/produce more waste than larger reactors. There is no known technology that can overcome this limitation - Carnot efficiency applies to all heat engines and all nuclear reactors are heat engines. Basically the bigger and hotter your heat engine, the more efficient. Conversely....

The move towards bigger reactors in the civilian nuclear industry (>1GW) over the last 4 decades was an attempt to to use this fact to overcome the rising costs and lack of competitiveness of smaller reactors. So reversing gear and going small is only going to make the cost per MWh higher than conventionally sized reactors. And the latter can't compete in the current electricity markets as it is.

SNRs have been hyped/designed/tried many times in the last 6 decades but every time have failed to find any use in civilian applications. The longest running such reactor (at McMurdo Station in Antartica) was ultimately abandoned early and replaced with diesel generators as they proved more reliable and cheaper (!!!) to operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I dont doubt that the korean company are fine , any company on massive projects like a nuclear power station ( or a childrens hospital ) needs to be carefully watched , these are make or break projects , if you think westing house or EdF are above doing the same thing then ive a bridge to sell you..

If the plants were spread around the country 2 reactors per station they could effectively back each other up, the extra grid costs would be probably huge

Even if the entire population were on board,and a suitable site was identified it'd likely take a decade to get to construction ,

And then another decade for construction of the first plant ,

Such a huge projects would likely soak up the labour force and materials , creating huge inflation...

The cheapest way to build one , would be for the state to pay up front and assume all the risk , our state doesnt have a great history with that ..

And think , that time frame would be adding up to 57 billion euro to our national debt ... per plant , ( if we started at todays probable price of 20 billion per station + inflation)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The technology I was referring to is renewables plus hydrogen storage.

You are totally misconstruing the reasoning behind SMRs. Nuclear power plants are expensive to build, but cheap to run. Their thermal efficiency isn't an issue, cost wise. The whole point of SMRs is to reduce their construction costs by reducing their scale so they can be manufactured in a factory in a controlled environment with standardised methods and tooling, and then the component assmblies will be small enough transport to the site where they will be assembled inside a weather excluding enclosure.

Toyota do this with houses in Japan. You choose what modules you want, the factory makes your house in a factory under controlled conditions with a workforce familliar with the mass production methodology, and then your finished house is transported to your site and erected in 1-2 days, ready to be immediately occupied. The houses come with a 60 year guarantee.

Rolls Royce believe that using this strategy they will initially be able to manufacture an SMR every 6 months.

The koreans build those same reactors in Korea for less, and they do not have a slave labour work force, so "You can feck right off with that bullshit!".

Distributing small potential bombs across the country where you have a minimal defense force and a history of terrorism seems like a very dubious idea.

So many of the arguments raised against nuclear seem to boil down to significant shortcomings in the Irish people, their character and the dysfunctional country they have created. Astonishing.

Good luck with managing and handling those 27 Hiroshima bombs worth of stored hydrogen then.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,822 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't think Nuclear is a solid answer... 2/3rds of the heat of a nuclear reactor is lost to atmosphere, it's an exothermic process. Nuclear is not a long term solution to fossil fuel replacement, another exothermic process. Look at what happened in France they had to cut reactor output because input water was out of the acceptable range (cold in, warm out).

Solar Panels, Wind and Wave Energy would be better solutions if the climate is heating up, they are functionally endothermic (extracting existing energy/excitation, not producing it and dumping most of it as waste). Geothermal also applies: https://www.gsi.ie/en-ie/geoscience-topics/energy/Pages/Geothermal-Energy.aspx

In the inverse situation, going into a global cooling, hell yeah fire up the nuclear reactors, warm this popsicle stand up.

Bigly expensive, hugely risky, single-basket investment, prone to even failing to launch, prone to corruption easily especially on cost overruns and fobbing off the ratepayers, and requires the top standards of qualified and educated individuals to run it, in perpetuity, for the lifespan and the decommissioning of it, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

“Underway on Nuclear Power” - USS Nautilus January 17, 1955.

That's how long we've had non-commercial SMR's. Hundreds of them have been in everyday use since. Amongst the NATO navies they've been generally safe and reliable. The UK will be spending north of £31Bn on 4 submarines with 210MW reactors because like I said it's non-commercial.

Commercial nuclear has to face commercial reality. It has to face the falling costs of storage, wind, solar, and other renewables over it's lifespan, not just the costs today. Any new nuclear plant in the UK will be competing with the open market price of surplus wind power a lot of the time.

Insulation for buildings and water can act as storage so reducing the continuous demand that nuclear economics are based on.

LOL not a single nuclear power plant has hit 60 years yet and then you've to factor in the number abandoned and closed down early too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭gjim

"Nuclear power plants are expensive to build, but cheap to run. Their thermal efficiency isn't an issue, cost wise."

You're mixing up fuel costs and operating costs. Nuclear reactors are so expensive to run that the "cheap" fuel cost cannot compensate to bring the operating costs down to anything in the ballpark of competitive. A clear examples is the reactors at Indian Point closed early/before end-of-life - despite political and general public support for continuing operations (even the New York times weighed in on it) - because they were losing money on every MWh that they produced. Without subsidies, nuclear simply cannot compete on price.

Thermal efficiency isn't an issue, cost wise? Proof, if any was needed, that you have very little understanding about this technology and industry. Lower thermal efficiency means more fuel consumed and as a result more waste produced (which is expensive to handle and store) but worse, requires more frequent refuelling which means increased risk, more downtime, lower capacity factors, more radiation to be handled/managed per MWh, and each refuelling cycle lowers the life-span for the reactor. Why do you think every single designer/supplier has been moving towards bigger and bigger reactors over the last 4 decades? It's the same reason coal plants have also gotten bigger and bigger in the same period as they've struggled to compete with natural gas.

There's been a bunch of grifters touting SMR solutions for decades but I've stopped following them because they always either go belly-up or just quietly disappear without delivering a single working reactor - along with all the money they hoodwinked out of the gullible investors or naive government officials.

• Advertisement

Rolls Royce are grifters. Unreal.

Advertisement