Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times a year do you go abroad be it for holidays or business?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Indeed, I lived in a European country that during the winter was like Victorian London! The smell from my clothes was horrendous & the black stuff that came out of my nose 🤢

Not so far away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You brought up the topic not me - the fact is people didn’t stay in their locality because there was no one left of working age left in those localities- they had mostly emigrated - anyway, you go backwards if you wish - I’ve had enough of lockdown in Ireland to last a lifetime- I’ve no interest in returning to the dark ages of 1980s holidays with captive audience hotels who provided sho1te accommodation and even worse food, thanks all the same- I hope you enjoy your overpriced stay cations “in your locality”

I’m not advocating that at all - IrelAnd should be helping to feed the world with its quality produce.

And also- you brought up the topic of “no preferred pronouns” - what on earth has that got to do with traveling on planes? 😂😂😂😂🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Juran

Typical year for me is 5 to 7 holidays abroad - 1 or 2 european city break long weekend, 2 weeks in Spain or Portugal sun holiday off-peak times, 1 week in France by ferry & car, 1 week in the states to visit family & bit of shopping , 2-3 weeks long haul in winter in somewhere like South East Asia, South America or Caribbeen.

Plus 2 weekends a year in London to see family, by flight.

Work trips each year is approx 2 or 3 trips to Europe, and 1 or 2 trips to the states east coast.

Pre-Covid, it used to be work meeting in Europe around 15 times a year, and maybe 4 times to the states. Replaced by Teams in the comfort of home now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This just smacks of cultural inferiority if you don't mind me saying. Have you explored the hidden delights of the Burren, both above and under ground? Have you walked around the paths at Glendalough on a quiet summers evening? Have you stood on Erris Head in a battering storm? Have you swum in the blue pools of Beara? Have you watched deer graze in the Phoenix Park? Have you had a bit of a laugh and gossip with some locals in a pub up in Ardara and absorbed the wild fiddle music? Have you gone anywhere in rural or urban Ireland and just poked around, looked at the hidden corners?

Of course, if you want to be told where to go to take your next Insta or Tiktok video, then head off to Disneyland or Machu Picchu etc.

Cultural inferiority or expanding your mind? I really don’t know are you just taking the pizz here at this stage.

Also I’ve pretty much done everything on your uninspiring bucket list and plenty more besides in Ireland - you can go abroad and still tick off many a bucket list in Ireland- the two aren’t mutually exclusive you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

HAHA! I love the way you write that as if I've gone nowhere in Ireland.

I'm 40 years old lad and drive, I've seen the place. It's amazing and I love it but there are also amazing things to do on this earth that don't involve this tiny island.

To think any different is to be incredibly closed minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Have you explored the hidden delights of the Burren, both above and under ground?

Yes

Have you walked around the paths at Glendalough on a quiet summers evening?

Yes

Have you stood on Erris Head in a battering storm?

Not during a storm, But many other places during a Storm, I don't like Bellmullet

Have you swum in the blue pools of Beara?

No

Have you watched deer graze in the Phoenix Park?

Yes

Have you had a bit of a laugh and gossip with some locals in a pub up in Ardara and absorbed the wild fiddle music?

Not Ardara but on Aran Island and Leitrim Town

Have you gone anywhere in rural or urban Ireland and just poked around, looked at the hidden corners?

Possibly more than you have...

Most of it has absolutely nothing on features in Mainland Europe:

Pyrenees, Alps, Picos, South coast of Spain and Portugal, The Adriatic, Norway, Iceland.

The terrain, climate, services and people are way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Imagine only wanting to see Ireland!

Sure we all see Ireland all the time, everything is a few hours away, you can have the whole country visited by the time you're 30. You should expand your horizons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

deleted post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

actually if golf courses are managed better (in a more natural, 'organic' way) and were all public rather than some private, then they would be of benefit since they are carbon sinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Post edited by tesla_newbie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

If you are talking environment the ferry is worse than flying :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

in fairness, ireland should probably have some of the stuff thats in the british museum.....

what the f do pronouns have to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭bassy

Some of ye must of won the lottery

If you smoke 20 cigs a day you’d be spending over 5000 euro a year that could go on travel instead - that’s at least 5 weekend city trips including spending money no less a very decent 2 week holiday for two

If you drink 3 bottles of wine a week, reduce it to 2 and you’ll get enough for to head to the Christmas markets .

Its not only what you earn but also how you spend it. I don’t eat out that much, instead have friends over and return visits to them- I don’t buy junk I don’t need- so yes I have money to spend on travel. So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

It's a lot of bluster.

Sure I could fire out I fly 20 times a year just to get a reaction

Yeah but one of the points in the OP is that you can do many things in Ireland and avoid excessive use of air travel. Of course, people know this in their gut and justify the weekend breaks abroad and flights here & there on the basis that it can't last and they may as well lash into it while they can. Which is moral quagmire. Sure I can appreciate the benefits of seeing other countries and have visited several European countries but only on occasional trips and mostly would holiday at home. But that's how we were brought up - trips to Lahinch and the like.

The proof that this is not the case at all was well made in the recent Covid lockdown when law abiding citizens were confined for exercise etc with a few kilometres of their home. And they often reported discovering all sorts of things, visited places they'd never been in years of living there. Apply that elsewhere and you've lifetimes to explore our wee island.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

oh 100% re the holidaying at home, there's loads to do here. But there's a hell of a lot more to do abroad.

I spent 24/7 either in Dublin city, doing all the Dublin city things or out in the Irish countryside. When it's time to holiday, I want to escape all of that and experience something entirely different. As I'm sure most other folks do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Bit of a nonsense post, with the 1.3 billion people in China, which is also the workshop of the world.

CO2 emissions per capita:

Ireland 8.29 tons

China 7.44 tons

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭patmahe

I've flown twice this year and I have one more flight that I know of at this point, I will probably do another late this year/early next.

I once looked into staying in Ireland for a weekend in January. It would have cost me €300 (for myself and the wife) and that's not exactly splashing the cash (Ireland is cold, wet and dark in January). I also checked skyscanner for cheap flights and got us to Nice in south of France including accommodation for €250, it was 15-16 Degrees and Nice is beautiful with an amazing coastline, I spent two days walking around in a t-shirt and came home feeling like I'd actually been away. If Irish hotels could offer similar value to what you can find abroad, people wouldn't feel the need to go anywhere. It might be the cost of doing business here, the war in Ukraine, inflation etc... but for whatever reason Irish hotels can't/don't seem to want to compete with value for money options abroad, if we looked seriously at the flaws in our own hospitality sector then perhaps people would be more inclined to have a staycation.

Absolutely- If I holidayed at home I’d be repeating what I did previously- what’s the point of that?

April 2023- 3 nights out west- 800 euro with 2 dinners - again the opportunity cost was a damn nice city break in Europe somewhere (we couldn’t travel abroad for various reasons) - you’re right, whilst our break in Ireland was nice, we’d been there done that-it gets awfully boring

Master of the Universe

Really doesn't matter, we are committed to our CO2 goals as the nation of Ireland, not per capita.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

indeed. the 'china needs to do something first' response always comes across as trite given the amount of their output which must come from irish (and other) people 'exporting' their carbon footprint there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yep.

The average Irish person has a Co2 output at least 10 times greater than a citizen from any of the bottom 50 countries in the world. We're a long way from calling ourselves "green". For a country that has limited industrial capacity, we're pretty sh*t all things considered.

This is decent as a guide. Many of the countries (excluding micronations) who are worse than us have heavy industries or some fossil fuel extraction. https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emissions/co2-emissions-per-capita/

But yeah cHiNAA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

nothing nuts about being provided with a product or service that is cheap.

What do you think airlines will do ? I know what I’d do….and I’ve seen done at other airports including Dublin….

id do simply what they call in the industry as ‘tankering’ fuel. Fill the tanks and away they go…example Heathrow to Dublin to Heathrow… only fuel uplift at Heathrow. Tankering is less good for the environment as the aircraft is carrying more fuel than it needs for a leg, therefore burning more fuel quicker because of the much greater weight of the extra fuel which is worse for the environment. Dublin miss out on an incredible amount of revenue, jobs are lost and no benefit to the environment at all, negative in fact as for one leg that aircraft has a far greater fuel burn…

Democracy, people will travel….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Well it is a simple fact that no matter what we do, we are wasting our time if China is not trying to reduce emissions, basically pissing in the wind.

China's emissions are still growing, many countries in Europe have had falling emissions (makes no difference since they are just replaced by China adding more coal fueled power plants).

Advertisement