Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fáil Councillor Tells Lodger Not to Cook and to Wash Dishes in Bathroom

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Jesus, that interview. 😱😱😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

But I thought having more women in politics resulted in more empathy an understanding and a kinder caring society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Her lack of self awareness and sense of entitlement are incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well whatever ambitions she had in politics are surely over after that interview. The lack of self-awareness from her is stunning. I have not seen such antics since P Flynn let everyone know how tough it was for him having two houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Entitled Maria Bailey likes are a scourge on society. See basically the whole RTE board who caused that shitshow.

They permeate South Dublin everywhere. SUV driving nose up slumlord ghouls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

She should resign immediately.

What a shambles she is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If her attitude is representative of the government parties then Ireland is in bigger trouble than we realise.

I think its worth pointing out that councillors across every single party in the State are batshit and don't really represent the national parties. They have almost zero central control over them.

Doesn't reflect super well on FF that they put her up as a candidate for TD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

This one is an ideal candidate for the FFG for the next election and with be nominated with back slapping, she has shown this is the type of person Leo wants in his group, screw the early riser, make money on the backs of the small and has shown she can go on radio and get away with it, number one vote next election and give Leo majority. FFG Ireland is alive and winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Doc07

She won’t be let near a GE run even if this hadn’t been a story, she was outvoted 9-1 by Labour( well known Ivana Bacic) and 7-1 by FG(unknown J Geoghegan) in the by-election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

• the thing that’s really funny to me is she keeps likening the room to “a hotel room”

thing about hotels, though, is there’s usually amenities.. it’s not just a fcuking bedroom

You can eat in the hotel restaurant or bar, or both, or have room service, or even all three. Some are even self catering and have kitchen facilities to use.

Renting a room and having the landlady tell you not to use the kitchen but while you’re paying €240 a week just use a takeaway for breakfast, lunch & dinner like a good girl. So what another €50-60 a day in food to boot?

Say that student won’t be rushing back to Ireland for a visit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Not a chance. Love them or hate them, the PR machines for both FF and FG are a lot more self aware than you give them credit for. She wont be anywhere near the ticket at the next by election.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If they've any sense they'll pull her as a Councillor too - she is definitely the worst public rep I have ever encountered. Insane reaction when challenged about some of the stuff she was saying about BusConnects for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭bartkingcole

They have not. But people outside this thread who are obsessed with more and more regulation are saying it. For decades people used studio flats and digs as stepping stones until the media suggested that these were wrong highlighting a few bad apples. I shared houses and rooms before buying - that was the way of the world.

What did we end up with after these campaigns for better conditions? Over regulation which damaged supply and increased costs.

Good reason not to increase the threshold. Will just increase the cost.

I have been a tenant and overall my landlords (individuals and institutions) were reasonably decent. I took care of the place and paid my rent on time. Prefer not to pay someone else’s mortgage but in my experience landlords have not been bad.

I ran a poll on twitter after the Liveline interview.

The results speak for themselves.

Oh sure I know. They banned bedsits and next thing you know we have a homelessness crisis. Around 2007 I was paying 800 a month for a room in a shared house in D4. Around the corner my friend was renting a bedsit for 300 a month. While it was not exactly the lap of luxury, it was his own space. When he turned the key in the lock in the evening, coming home, he knew the place was going to be in the exact same state as when he left it in the morning. In my house share, I never knew what drama was waiting for me on the other side.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So, no regulation at all applies?

That's a bit mad, seeing that people have no other option for housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

From my experience the majority of live in landlords are nearly as bad a this councillor.

I don't think she's the exception at all.

It's their house and their rules, which creates an unhealthy power dynamic.

Happy to kick you out at a moments notice for the next sucker in the queue.

And the current housing crisis is bringing loads of them out of the woodwork.

The old school landlord who really looked after students are a dying breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

She's reflective of the prevalent attitude in FF/FG similar to Mary Fitzpatrick and others who constantly downplay housing issues.

The mask slipped in a big way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

She charges basically the max she can to get her under the taxable threshold if it's rented for 52 weeks a year. Wonder if she has any more lodgers

Advertisement