Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

According to the rules the 33 man squad must be announced by 1 September.

I suspect that it may be announced around 21/22 August as thats when the Irish team is moving to their French training base for final preparations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Put it this way, I'd be a lot more nervous seeing Frawley on the team sheet against South Africa than Coombes..

• The IRFU indicated in an Instagram post on the 6th July that the squad would be announced on August 28th, 2 days after the Samoa game. It also states the team departs for France on the 31st August which would mean they return home after the Samoa game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

This seems bizzare to me. Would they not name the squad before the Samoa game and just stay there after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Probably gives players one last chance to make the squad and also makes sense to name the squad after the last match in case one or 2 players picked up a knock.

Also I'm with Sexton suspended there needs to be 2 10's in the squad match day squad and a "23rd man" who can cover 10.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pretty **** to tell lads, pack your bags your going home cos you haven't made the squad

Much better to let them be home, and ring them to let them know the bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

They’re planning to be in France for two months, giving players a couple of days with their families will probably help moral

So what's the point of playing the match in France then?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Also doesnt hurt after a long camp based in Ireland to change things up a bit and play in stadium players aren't as familiar with, hotel in France, dealing with different language etc. With it being such a short flight there isnt any downside to it from a preparation perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I meant 24th man.. Cos sexton will be suspended..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I am gonna presume the are gonna take that gap weekend before scotland to head home and sleep in their own beds for a bit.

Are non dublin based players away from home 3 out of every four weeks since mid june til end of august, then off to France?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd say all the players, Dublin based or not, would be staying in a team hotel. It wouldn't do much for the team environment if 60 odd per cent (or whatever it is) got ot go home every night while the rest stayed in a hotel away from their families.

There's definitely been exceptions, I know for a fact that O'Gara used to be given permission to stay in his own home anytime he was ovulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

He caused a fair few ovulations with the blue-rinse brigade on here at the end of the season 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Shehal

No offence to you're friend but the fact he is trying to compare Ireland and Argentina's rugby teams when it comes to consistency kind of tells me he isn't very well informed when it comes to test rugby. I find it quite convenient though that he then's backs France to win the RWC when their record this cycle isnt much different to Ireland's, what this does show is many fans are just believing what they want to believe I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

After reading the intro I was expecting some sort of magical prediction. Any dog on the street can't see past France and SA. France because they are at home and seem to have gone past the imploding French teams. SA because they have a simple but affective game plan.

Is his view based on the WC alone or based on all games played in competitions over the last 10 years?

If in the WC alone then Argentina would not be a comparison I would make. Argentina have consistently over performed while Ireland have consistently underperformed. Ireland would probably be more of a Scotland.

If taking in all games then not sure how you could say they can't string performance together. They have won 2 Grand Slams in the last few years which requires 5 top performance to win. A series win in NZ which the list is tiny of teams who have achieved. To compare to Argentina who have won nothing is incorrect again.

Also a "student of the game" would realise that the issues Ireland have wasn't just down to mental weakness. Take 2015 for instance, this is the New Zealand team. Now take the following players out of it like Ireland had and see how they would get on

Gone: Nonu, A. Smith, Kaino, McCaw, Retallick

New Zealand: B Smith, Milner-Skudder, C Smith, Nonu, Savea, Carter, A. Smith, Crockett, Coles, O Franks, Retallick, Whitelock, Kaino, McCaw, Read.

Now I think that was the players Ireland missed for the game. NZ was good but remove those players out and its a totally different game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Carter/ Barrett too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think the "can't see past SA" line of thinking has taken a bit of a hit since last weekend. They have a lot of work to do and are desperately reliant on Pollard getting fit.

But they have the same problem as us, they'll meet either France or NZ in the QFs, which are both massive asks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are people still writing off New Zealand? On what basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Definitely feel SA are overrated from their win last time out. They basically beat a Wales team over performing and England. NZ would've beaten them again imo, and I think either of France or NZ will handle them comfortably.

To be fair, NZ would have been able to replace those player with SBW/Fekitoa, Kerr-Barlow/Perenara, Vito/Messam, Cane and Luke Romano. Vastly superior depth to what we had. I think they'd have still won the world cup.

They are totally overrated from the last RWC. Yes they were good of course, all RWC winners are, but I would confidently say they are the weakest RWC winning side ever that had a pretty forgiving path to the RWC final and were average for most of the RWC but to their credit when it mattered most they turned up. I don't think they will be handled comfortably though as they will be better once their Japan based players get up to speed but I feel if they play like they did in the last RWC they wont win this one and will be lucky to get past the QF's as the draw this time is far less forgiving.

They also have a very old team (their starting XV that played NZL 13 of the 15 players will be 30 or over by the end of the year) and Im not so sure particularly the style they play that they will be able to go 4-5 big games in a row and win a RWC on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

@Shehal I addressed the consistency thing above. Arg didn’t have a test comp until fairly recently yet made the semis twice. They now play 3 of the best teams on the planet annually without any domestic competition. Given that their consistency is impressive, when it counts (irelands record against them on neutral ground is negative, consistently). France, semis and a final. You’re wearing green glasses.

Incorrect they play the 3rd, 4th & 8th best teams on the planet. If it was down to having a domestic league then why were there dramatic improvements when Jaguares where introduced? If anything they went backwards. There is no green tinted glasses, what you are seeing here from this "expert" is a very poor observation of where rugby is nowadays. If you meet him again make sure to remind him that there is actually rugby played between WC's. Let me take a wild guess, he's from the Southern Hemisphere but declared for USA?

I dont really see how Argentina's record means much when it comes to consistency considering they've only played twice in 20 years on neutral grounds. Not a single player in this French side has been to a semi or a final. You are clutching at straw's.

2015 is the one year you could point to where injuries sealed Ireland's fate but it's exceptional, most of the time it's just banal reasons like mentally folding (ABs 2019) or poor form, bad start, conservative coaching, etc. There are always reasons. But even in 2015 you had SoB banned for one of them most stupid reasons imaginable.

And there is no reason to assume Arg have overperformed in the WC. The WC is the WC, its not the championship or the 6 nations. These competitions don't compare. The 6N is hard to win, a grand slam extremely hard to win, but in any year at least 2 of the teams aren't very good from Ireland's POV. Our record against Scotland and Italy speaks for itself. So really it comes down to whether Wales are decent (and the almost always are agains t Ireland) and then how we do against England and France. Over the last decade both have been historically poor (France obviously greatly improved since 2019) and that's coincided with Ireland building a great team with a winning mentality. But it means very little in the WC. Argentina have consistently built towards the WC and have a decent record that speaks to their success with it. Comparing us to Scotland is fair enough as far as the WC goes but it speaks to Irelands failures as elsewhere Ireland consistently dominate the Scots.

More generally SA have to be given a real shot partly because they came into the last WC as no hopers, lost to NZ in the group and then went on to win it. That's mental fortitude and it counts for an awful lot in the WC. I can see us beating SA in the group but I still wouldn't count them out. I can also see us beating France in a quarter honestly. It will be a tough match but I feel like there were plenty of things that could be massively improved by Ireland after the 6 nations and the team seemed very conscious of that throughout. To me that showed a mentality that could produce at the WC.

@Shehal He's not SH, and a month out from the WC that's what we are talking about. Edit- And I honestly don't know how any rugby fan can say Oz, NZ and SA aren't three of the best teams on the planet. Some people in boards will say literally anything to win dumb arguments.

Post edited by ersatz on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

He is generally basing is predictions on World Cup history, but then bands Ireland and Argies in the same bracket as good for the one off performance which is a very flawed generalization, i think Ireland has had 3-4 one offs in their history, when the Argies did well they strung plenty performances together but very meh if not.

Then he cant see beyond on France who on WC form are the masters of the one off... and South Africa who only every needed one big performance each of the last two WCs they won. Fiji, Japan, Wales and Argies have been their quarter/semi final opponents folks.

If he is not basing it just on WC form ,then labelling of Ireland Argies as similarly inconsistent is way off. Leaving all the achievements in the past 2 years to one side, Ireland dont score 40 on Aus at home and then concede 40 to them away the next. Argies first win in NZ was followed by a pounding. RC maybe a great tournament but based on the last 3 tours in SANZAR even ignoring the Autumn Ireland are still far more consistent against the same opposition.

So to conclude , if going by WC history alone he has very flawed arguments. If going by recent form his thoughts on SA don't make sense, his thoughts on France do , his thoughts on Ireland don't. So its all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

As was pointed out to me recently here, NZ are either second to France or favourites now:

• Advertisement

Lets be clear, his view is that SA and France are the favourites. that is not very controversial, France because they have an incredible team and SA because they have a very good team and are big WC performers. He compares Ireland to Argentina because they both have a record of one off big game performances (Ireland fewer) that they fail to back up in the WC. Again, hard to argue.

As for France being 'masters off the one off', you must be 5. They've been to 3 finals and 3 semi finals in 10 tournaments! Dismiss SAs route to finals all you like, they've won it 3 times and come third twice in 8 tournaments. This is a ridiculous argument. See my note to shehal above, people really will say anything to 'win' arguments.

Advertisement