Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

BER Details

LOL. That €900/month just got a whole lot more expensive come winter time.....and your basically living on a farm......peacefull I guess. Sucks if you want to pop down the shop for some bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Again, you are ascribing statements to me which I did not make, if you think I said it would be easy or plentiful, please point out where I said that. I will admit to one error, I expected it to be easy for you to use daft to confirm what I did say, that was as error, it isn’t easy for you to use the app.

Go back to my post about options at 2:07pm yesterday, you quoted it, here is what I said:

”If she is a car owner, single and willing to share, she likely has more options than living in Arklow with her parents.”

Now what should be easy about that, is that there isn’t any ambiguity in the language used in what I posted in relation to options, and one of the conditions to be met in order to increase those options is a willingness to share accommodation, which of course would increase the number of properties to choose from, by increasing the property rental price that could be considered. Now, put 2k into daft, and add the 20k, which isn’t an overbearing commute for someone with a car, and there are indisputably more options.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Those are converted farm sheds.

Going back to living in cowsheds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

You've completely failed to provide any actual evidence of her having plenty of rental options. They just don't exist in the real world, as the results on DAFT I actually posted show. It does rather seem like you were just too lazy to do the research, you were clearly posting an unqualified opinion without even bothering to check first.

It is a rather odd opinion to keep posting how unreasonable shes being when its just not backed up by the facts in the real world, either. The accommodation options available in Arklow and its surrounds to her are atrocious by any reasonable metric.

The idea that a woman in her 30s, with a masters degree, a full time stable middle class job, and living in a low cost of living part of the country, should be looking at renting a D1 BER farm building in the middle of nowhere for over 30% of her net income a month as being a reasonable state of affairs is absolutely insane. Thats not an in any way functioning housing market.

You really are acting the jackass.

Using the search parameters Arklow + 20km, €2000 max rent (if she is willing to share, that would be €1000 each) yields 16 properties. I’m not sure how this could be explained more simply for you without a chalkboard.

Perhaps it is a language issue, any option(s) with a number greater than one, is options, plural, so if she is willing to share, and commute what is not an overbearing distance, 20km, then if there is more than one option of a property to rent, that means there are options. Again, I feel that I have explained this as clearly as possible. I refuse to link all 16 properties available to rent using those search parameters, other readers would just be pissed off that a whole page is taken up just because you can’t use the daft.ie app.

Again, for some unknown reason, you keep attributing statements to me which have no foundation, where did I say she was being unreasonable? I’m not sure if you are mixing up posters you want to respond to, but you are making a fool of yourself if you keep misquoting posters, it’s not like it isn’t easy to check before you post.

Before you post again, engage your brain.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Headlines like these in one of our leading papers really highlight our weird relationship with mortgage delinquency in Ireland.

’Couple ‘invest’ (see: ‘gamble’) by borrowing €1m to buy properties under clearly explained and reasonable credit terms in hopes of funding their retirement for free. Couple fail to meet pre-agreed terms throughout the term of the loan as asset does not perform as well as they’d hoped. Asset now taken as collateral to cover unpaid debt per the signed agreement. Cue tears’

Sure if she was willing to sleep in a doorway, she'd have even more options.

Arklow isn't a tiny village. Finding 16 properties that fit some broad minimum filter you set up within 20 km of there surely couldn't be argued to be lots of choice? I mean it might be if she was the only one looking to rent, but I gather that there are probably more than 16 people within 20km of Arklow looking for places to rent. Would you think otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

Why on earth would the judge have "sympathy"? Law I'd not about sympathy, else just get rid if all laws

It would be difficult to have sympathy for someone who has their own property consulting business and who advertises themselves as an expert in accurate valuations of property. Whatever sympathy a "mom and pop" operation which lost the run of itself might have

A three bed in Malahide, another in Clarehall and an apartment in Swords for 1.16 m? In the current environment? Chances are they will clear their debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

I hope they clear their debt and move on. I would have some sympathy for them, if you compare them to Pam3la Fl00d and R0nan Ryan, who absolutely played the system, didn't pay a penny for 10 years while living the high life, and got to walk away scot free from their debt (and set up a lovely business and move into a lovely new gaff with all the money they saved by not paying what they owed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

Sure the comparison looks stark.

But unfortunately the high level of sympathy and understanding on offer to Joe Ordinary is exactly what opens the door for chancers like Flood and Ryan to play the system.

Mortgage contracts should be enforced irrespective of the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

She is living in Bray with her parents. I have a relative who back in May moved into a house share in Gorey and commutes to Bray. Thjat room was €600pm which i though was very expensive but at least its cheaper than €1600 per month.

But I just did a search in Bray and Gorey etc for houses and apartments. There are plenty for under €1600. I dont think she is putting much effort into moving out from Mammy's tbh.

https://www.daft.ie/property-for-rent/ireland?location=bray-wicklow&location=wicklow&location=gorey-and-surrounds-wexford&pageSize=20&sort=priceAsc

And i didnt even bother looking up house shares.

Also there are a lot of places you can drive to Arklow from with anything up to an hours commute each way. So many people do worse commutes working in Dublin.

My cousin used to get the train from Wexford town to Wicklow town and back to work every day when he lived in Wexford.

Cant be that bad in Mammys house if she cant find somewhere to live withing commuting distance of Arklow.

Jesus I even know people who commute from Arklow and even Gorey to Dublin every day and they can manage it.

I think people dont understand that most of the time a commute isnt as short as theirs is.

For the hell of it I just picked shares on DAFT as well and put in Arklow, Gorey and Bray and wexford town.

Now I understand people wanting the best possible location to live, like beside wor or in the middle of town, but the majority of us dont get that in our lives. But if i was livingin in a house with my parents in Bray and working in Arklow I would 100% be taking up one of these options.

First on the list is the converted farm sheds mentioned earlier.

Second one on the list is literally a bed in a hallway inside a door. A perfectly normal place for a 30-something with a third level education and permanent public sector job to aspire to live in.

It too can be yours for the limited offer price of 950 Euro per month. Only while stocks last. Once it's gone, it's gone.

They try to cover it up in one photo, but not in the second one

There a whole load of places in those lists. And there a whole load of other places to look too within commuting distance of work for her.

Its just not true that she hasnt any options.

So lets just pick 2 not nice places off the list to pretend that the rest of it doesnt exist.

And that was only Daft. Everyone knows now that Daft is not the place to look for accommodation anymore. Someone gave a list a few weeks ago of where to look now for rentals and shares. There were a good few site on that and a few facebook groups too.

Look noone was saying renting isnt tough nowadays, but her story is a total exaggeration of her situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

It's interesting to think, someone said she'd be on €41,000. 4xsalary is €164,000.

Even a modestly priced house requires the person to have serious savings.

She'd need around €110k to buy the above 82sqm house in Arklow. Compare that with mid 20 year olds with no qualifications getting mortgages for basic houses like the above to cover a house cost of around £12,000 in the 1970s It seems single school teachers are destined to live with their parents or spend all their income on rent so that they have nothing on retirement.

Those are literally the first two places on the list that you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

"The International Monetary Fund has told central bankers to avoid “premature” interest rate cuts, keeping rates “restrictive” until inflation has visibly cooled."

More rate increases to look forward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I really wonder about price inflation slowdown...I know its only personal anecdotal experience but 2 second hand properties I inquired about this month in Donabate and Rush have current offers 25% and 33% in excess of their asking prices respectively. WTF!! The Rush property has 290k on Daft but current offer is 380k and bidding is still active...

I don't think interest rate rises are having an effect at all as the govt seems to negate their impact by throwing more grants and relaxing lending restrictions every time the ECB rate rises!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I've long given up keeping track of anecdotes. Think it is just a matter of time before something like a scorched-earth leftwing government comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ah, again, you're unable to link a single property. It really does undermine your arguments something terrible.

As the other posters in the meantime have discussed, when those properties are actually linked to - most of that already very low number are completely unsuitable. And a grand total of properties in the low teens, in a 400 square kilometer area including a major town, most of which require a car and a major commute, isn't exactly the defense of the state of affairs that you seem to think it is. If anything it rather proves her point.

Why exactly are you trying to defend this state of affairs as being a functioning housing market? Do you really think its right that an adult in their 30s, with a masters degree, a full time stable middle class job, and living in a low cost of living part of the country, should be looking at renting a D1 BER farm building in the middle of nowhere for over 30% of her net income a month, with a daily 50km round trip commute on top?

• Advertisement

Did you not see the rest of them or did you stop reading at those two. I bet you did read them all but they just fluttered out of your head :)

Im not surprised to hear that about Rush and Donabate.

When we were looking we were looking at houses in both Rush and Donabate. The bidding went absolutely mad on them all even more so the ones in Rush. Rush is just a gorgeous town and all the roads between south beach and whitestown road just went mad in the bidding. Would really like to live in that part of Rush. In the end the bidding was too mad for us. Donabate is lovely too but we found it was a little too built up in places. The parts where we were looking though the bidding was crazy too.

I think both places are gems that people have only discovered in the last few years so anything coming up now are very popular. Both have train stations and only 30 minutes to the city center on the train too. Rush is only 3 minutes further on the train than Donabate. Maybe 10 minutes more if you are driving.

But we've been keeping an eye on both as still have the notifications active since we were looking, and checking the PPR And both places are still hugely popular.

I linked to a heap of them a few posts up. That was only using Daft and only 3 locations so there will be more if you look yourself in other commutable areas.

I dont believe Dav is trying to do what you say he is. He is merely pointing out that her situation is not as dire as she is describing in the article. Its a clickbait story is all.

Put it this way. If you or I were in her situation do you think we could sort out a place to live for ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Bank of Ireland is to increase its mortgage rates for the fourth time in a year.

The bank is increasing its savings rates also, and at double the amount of the rise in mortgage fixed rates.

Fixed rates will go up by 0.25 percentage points for new and existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

An example of how the magic wand of government interference doubles the price of entry level homes for the benefit of the often very wealthy and more often the very wealthy that pay no tax

Property with gov interference, these appear to be former council homes which were sold privately and now appear to be rented back by the state with a years rent possibly greater than the price achieved when the state sold them

2 x residential units let on 25 year leases to Waterford City and County Council

€24,960 per annum total income.

6.75 % Gross Yield (6.5% based on NOI).

Lease commencements Nov/Dec 2021

HICP linked (Harmonised Indices of Consumer Price Index), three yearly rent reviews

A similar property but much larger property in limerick in the same auction is nearly half the price of the units in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

“Interesting” situation on my end.

I rent in a well known apartment building in south Dublin. I have been here 5 years and paid a rent increase last year (back dated to cover the covid years.)

Since covid, many renters have moved back home down the country as they no longer need to work in dublin. I suspect this is due to remote working, since then a number of “suspicious” tenants have moved in (no snobbery intended.)

Over the last 12 months, I have found needles in stairways, people passed out from drugs at 5am on a Tuesday morning in the hallway whilst leaving for the gym before work.

The landlord refuses to take any responsibility for this.

A few months ago, my car was broken into in the underground parking (I pay for a spot included in my rent.) I called the landlord who suggested I call the local Garda station, the Garda stated that this was becoming increasingly common in the building and suggested I request a copy of the security camera - there is one facing directly at my parking spot. When I emailed the landlord making this ask, they responded stating that the cameras are not functional and the damage to the car was unlikely to have happened in the building.

The following day I got a letter notifying me of a rent increase (all above board and not kicking in until December.) however, I suspect this is connected to my complaint, it’s only 2% but I get the feeling they are trying to get me out before this escalates (the car damage is €5-6k.)

Have I any rights here whatsoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Do you want to keep living there?

Is your rent increase related to your complaint, or with RPZ legislation?

Your LL is unlikely to be the owner of your car space, typically that is the OMC and people park there at their own risk. Check your rental agreement, it will be interesting to hear if your claim against the LL is successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

You might get better advice in the Legal Discussion forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Advertisement