Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I get the joke but they should have picked a different name, that’s not funny.

Unless the other campaign is Ireland only but I’m sure they’d know

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Why should they have picked a different name?

There’s a campaign over here that if a woman is feeling unsafe around a man she can ask the bar staff for Angela and they will help. And no, it’s not for if a guy is just asking a girl out, more abuse type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Ljmscooter

Heard of that, it's a fantastic concept, so sad it's needed though

Just sinking deeper , dopamine blasts are addictive

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

Companies that operate these apps put a vast amount of time and resources into maximising the leverage they have on your attention. Fake profiles, bots etc are all commonplace and they are all geared toward getting more from your attention. I'd bet they probably have some of the best algorithmic processes at work too to aid this.

If you look at the business model of dating apps also it doesn't lend itself to the idea of helping you find a match either, if they actually worked the user base would not be able to replenish itself enough to create the growth these companies aim for. Most of them base their valuation on how much market share and user base they have. Unlike most goods or service based companies who sell you the end product and grow from repeat business thereafter, after you get into a relationship there is nothing these apps can sell you! I'd be of the opinion that these companies knowingly engineer the apps to get you to use them for as long as possible rather than to get you to the end goal they actually claim to "sell" you.

I think I mentioned before but in the same time period that online dating exploded in popularity the amount of single people also exploded, if dating is easier than ever through apps I'd expect that to be the opposite.

The illusion of choice is not a good thing, it spurs people to make poor longer term decisions and really makes people muddled in the short term too. If you've supposed endless choice you'll find it hard to accept things short of perfection which is an absolute pie in the sky nonsensical idea of achieving for most people.

From a mans point of view I meet an insane about of delusional single women. I'd presume it's half to do with the ease of procurement for validation whilst online dating and from social media also. I'd presume this is part of why the most attractive men get the most attention, it's not confidence of "I could have a chance" but rather misplaced notions that "this is what I think I deserve".

I don't think the average mans chances of finding a partner is ever going to get better from here which is sad, I know a lot of guys who are really decent but have spent the best part of their formative 20's in rejection. I don't think a large contingent of really demoralised men with low self esteem is good for any society.

If you look into the stats on the disparity of single young adults far more men are single than women, roughlyish double the amount of men in the same age group are single compared to women. I'd presume there is part of it that some younger women are getting into relationships with older men but I'd be fairly sure saying that a decent percentage of women are dating the same section of hyper desirable men.

Man I was in the mood for a paragraph 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I incur a few bruises yes. Skating will do that for you.

My desk at work also has knobbly brass handles on the drawer which means I constantly have thigh region bruises.

Love a good bruise me… ☺️

Tldr, but, I have had dates off all 3 of the apps I am on , tinder, bumble and match.

I'm 51 , and looking 47 to 55

I'm currently seeing 2 dates off match 3rd and 4th meeting, and I have seen, and have plans for next week ( when I'm not on call ) of the bumble.

Twitter I have met a 35 yo and an actress 😄, it's more suited for the here and tonight , so I'm may drop at renewal

For the initial outlay which is not that expensive, it's paying off.

I have had multiple dates with 9 people so far in 4 weeks, with varying success.

I think the apps are fine

I have had more success in the apps than in the hike, in-person , but thats just to my own personality, I'm a slow burn, and take time to warm up. , I'm hopeful that Wlil change as I put myself in more situations x

• Advertisement

Shin bruises due to the stupid ikea beds I bought

I'm fairly sure.it will end in tears , but I'll take the good days x

Well that’s good that you have your eyes open and enjoying it for the good parts, you just need to protect yourself, in so far as possible, from getting hurt that’s all. I see from your other post you are still dating away with others - now you are sleeping the head wreck it might be the moral thing to have that discussion with her, if you haven’t already - in case she’s under the illusion she’s your one and only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

but thats just to my own personality, I'm a slow burn, and take time to warm up. , I'm hopeful that Wlil change as I put myself in more situations

I'm a bit like that myself. I mean you don't know the other person or how they'll react so its best to go the safe approach but I think its wrong to get judged or dropped because of that.

What do you mean it’s wrong to get judged or dropped because of? 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I concur. I'd rain down hell's holy water if I was sleeping with someone and they didn't tell me they were sleeping with other people.

no-one said I was sleeping with everyone, and we can drop the head wreck moniker ( for now ;-) )

Maybe not lol but I wouldn’t like to be sleeping with somebody and they were going on other dates (unless discussed) or I wouldn’t like to be going on dates with somebody who is sleeping with somebody else

• Advertisement

Don’t raise the topic and just see how things are going. If you are still seeing each other in a while you can have the exclusivity conversation but I would not shelve other dates just because you had sex once.

You sir... are a bounder and a cad (I've always wanted to say that lol)

She's under the impression you're paused - because that's what you agreed just a short week ago. Have you considered she may have slept with you based on that assumption?

By all means go out and fill yer boots - when I was new to dating again that's what I did. But make your mind up - and be mindful of other peoples feelings.

Wow stop the attack !

We have been off off more than my kettle over even one week. Pause unpause over off on, then yesterday.

I'm still catching up myself , spinning here.

Head is melted

I'm not out to hurt anyone, including myself.

There’s no attack :) just giving opinion based on what you posted. I presume a reaction/commentary of sorts is allowed if you put stuff out there :)

Didn't realise things were still on / off. As long as you are both on the same page so be it 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You know the way all these articles you read say men get no likes or matches on dating sites? that is all made up exaggerated rubbish?

@Ljmscooter - and you thought I was attacking you? 🤣🤣🤣

Breezy is RUTHLESS (and sometimes he's even right. But don't let on)

Maybe just put the brakes on for a bit if your head is melted. You don't have to date every 40 something in Dublin before the summer (pffft) is over. Be more chill 😎

If you go on the Aug hike you could leave the phone in the glove box. And be more present instead. Just chat to people and hone your conversation and listening skills.

A lot of us in the thread have been at this for years and have learned the very same lessons that lie ahead of you...Mr 9in4 😆

I don't mean to be preachy. I actually just want to help.

I wish I sometimes had you beating me into shape too

Ah I know @Pwindedd , and I do welcome all the advice, bit of an adrenaline rush , after many years alone.

Also I was working out , and prior to a few weeks ago , I had dated maybe 6 or 7 times over 30 years , and married 2 of them !

Breezy does at times lay it on but his benching post was right, it's horrible but perhaps I am afraid to dismiss just in case.

I'm not ashamed to say i do get very lonely, and the past month has made me not want to return to that state.

Ps, it's every 50 something in Dublin 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

• Advertisement

Im English, but I'll conform 😋

Advertisement