Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I agree with this, but 17 years to re-double 20km of track between GY and Athenry is simply too slow.

There should be no need for EIS or RO to redouble existing track, unless it requires constructing actual buildings.

Cut back the hedges

Do the earthworks, drainage.

Slew the track.

Lay new track.

I accept that I am simplifying somewhat, but you get the point.

Post edited by Geuze on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Consonata

I don't really care what they say the tunnel is built for, that can always change after the fact based on demand. The difficult stuff (getting the damn thing built) is more important.

Overall I like the ambition of the report, there are curious inclusions like the Portadown/Mullingar line which is likely not serious, and probably won't be built. But if even 3/4s of this report was honoured, this would be an extremely robust system.

Regarding the NI portion, I think the Derry line to Portadown makes a ton of sense, and there are genuine trip generators there which would justify it being built, particularly in absence of an A1 upgrade. I think Portadown -> Monaghan also probably can be justified. I do think however instead of it going to Mullingar, they should just connect Omagh -> Monaghan -> Navan, as a direct line for Derry whilst also creating a commuter backbone for folk wanting to travel to Belfast.

One thing I find very odd is that I wasn't expecting them to attempt to build new-alignment rail lines. It was one of the reasons why connecting Sligo -> Galway on the old alignment was off the table, because the alignment was so poor. However if they're happy to plough a brand new rail line to Mullingar, why don't the fix the alignment on the Sligo/Galway corridor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'm disappointed that the concept of Dublin to Cork high speed via Limerick was parked.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"I don't really care what they say the tunnel is built for, that can always change after the fact based on demand. The difficult stuff (getting the damn thing built) is more important."

No, that is a horrible idea, that isn't how you build tunnels at all!

For instance you would need to design and build a very different underground station for a 4 carriage DART then a much longer intercity train.

Only in Ireland do we mix different services like this! You don't see them trying to send intercity trains down London Underground tunnels! The Elizabeth Line is a big success because it has only one model of train operating on it.

My reading of this report is that the DART Underground tunnel is dead.

There isn't a good positive case for DU, and hasn't been since PPT was reopened. The old plan is dead and likely redundant, and we are building out the current network around a big interchange at Glasnevin. It would make more sense to expand PPT than go ahead with DU at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,293 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It always looked to me like the London Overground and some of the outer (overground) Underground lines used the same lines as National Rail.

OK, a fair point.

I think it's a good idea to have an intercity station at Dub airport.

I think thie should be a stop on the Dub-Belfast line.

How then might IC trains from Cork/LK/WD/GY via Heuston get to Dub airport?

My thinking is as follows:

tunnel under existing track, starting say 1km or 2km back, with first station under Heuston, next station under SSG, then a station under docklands, maybe other stations, then DUB airport.

In that scenario, SSG could become the main city centre through station for all elec trains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

That's not true. The reason why there isn't a positive case for DU is because the NTA revised their demand projections in light of covid and put in some dubious assumptions about a permanent drop in demand that has not really proven to be the case in terms of travel patterns observed since covid. In other words, they thought there'd be a permanent drop in demand for public transport as a result of covid, but what's transpired is that we're well on the way to being back to pre-covid demand levels.

I guess a better question is what does DU do that 3/4 tracking PPT doesn't do, that would make it worth the likely 7/8 billion price tag. I'm guessing that is why it is being omitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there any chance that each major project can be costed separately,and their annual operating costs , and a reasonable estimate made for passenger numbers ,Ie have formulas for that - trip generators on the route - age profile , population within x distance of the stations , oh and alternative routes ,

Then give a per expected customer subvention required to build the line..

Some of the subventions would be stratospheric,

If only there was an efficent ,point to point ,flexible mass transit system , that can use current infrastructure ,

How about a

Basic

Underground

System .. or Bus

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The price tag for that idea would make the cavan portadown line look like value for money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Economics101

Initial reactions:

1. Far too much about totally unrealistic possibilities (Mullingar-Portadown, etc, etc)
    2. Far too little emphasis on relatively inexpensive capacity-enhancing improvements.
    3. No rigorous assessments of the limits of battery-electric (range) and hydrogen (unproven technology). Also operational inflexibilities when train fleets are not useable on (almost) all routes.
    4. Insufficient emphasis on the positive advantages of full electrification: fleet flexibility, energy efficiency, speed, reliability, low maintenance, longer rolling stock life, etc. All we hear are the initial capital costs.
    5. No estimates of the potential emissions savings from rail freight (proportionately greater than for passengers)

I can see the media discussion being dominated by the usual hopeless cases: WRC, Rosslare-Ballina, Donegal, Mullingar Portadown (!!!). Here's a simple suggestion: how about a connection from the Up Cork main line to the Waterford line just South of Cherryville, thus avoiding a reversal at Kildare and the ensuing delays and costs.

Portarlington to GY 800-1300m for elec and dual-tracking, okay.

Yet Claremorris to Athenry re-openeing is 400-600m, that seems very high? No land acquisition, just take up old track, lay new track, improve LC. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The thing about the tunnel is if its built as a DART tunnel with twin track and that's what it is used for then fine. If it's built as a DART and Intercity tunnel with 4 tracks also fine (I'm not sure I know any examples of 4 track rail tunnel other than New York City.

What isn't fine is if its built as a DART tunnel and intercity trains are shoehorned into it. You'll have 4 track railway on the northern line, 4 track on the Cork line reducing to 2 tracks in tunnel, a recipe for disaster.

In terms of cost, I'm not sure if a 4 track tunnel is more or less costly than having 2 separate tunnels on different routes, there's not much call for intercity to join the DART line in the city centre so an alternative route could be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Trains to run on it, presumably. There isn't any spare stock lying around and I imagine that when DART+ starts the 2600s/2800s will be retired as overhauled 29000s displaced by DART+ replace them.

Lines that wouldn't need new stock (short ones) are showing vastly lower amounts, Maynooth-Adamstown would need land acquisition and multiple totally new structures and is in as 100-200m.

Rolling stock is listed separately in the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bebra

The map shows a line Mullingar-Athlone. Has this line not been converted to greenway?

Missed that. Figures for that are delusional, on the low side, for what is being proposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I like that the report has finally broke the ice on new useful lines in Leinster:

- A new alignment from Portarlington to Hazelhatch

- a new Maynooth to Heuston line

-a new Drogheda to Clongriffin line via airport

- the elusive Navan line etc.

Although I think 4 tracking from Clongriffin to Connolly is fanciful but even if we had a few good stretches of tripple track it would be useful.

The document stops short of just proposing a straight up new line from the airport to Heuston but still claims it can run through services from Belfast to Cork via 'Dublin Tunnel'. And from the map they have it seems like an obvious solution that more readily meets their goals rather than having the airport connection as a spur that trains have to reverse out of that'll become a bottleneck real quick.

By then Glasnevin station will have largely fulfilled DART underground's original job. A new tunnel from Heuston to the North could even have long stretches of cheaper cut and cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

100% agree.

Strategic ?? There is absolutely nothing strategic about this. It's pure utter blueskies stuff. Like a verbatim report from an anoraks convention in a pub late at night. Everything bar the kitchen sink has been chucked in, apart from reinstating Midleton-Youghal, Waterford-New Ross and that mad West Cork nonsense. Sure there is some good stuff in there, but it's lost amongst the pie-in-the-sky and the basket cases and does nothing to provide a much needed clear and realistic blueprint. Quite the opposite it will create a fog of confusion, raise a cloud of promises and once again cause available resources to be spread far too thin. The “case studies”, which really scrape the bottom of the barrel, provide a graphic display of just how poor the report is. 

And of course with the Stormont situation we will get another 24 months of hot air about this without a single decision being made or a Euro/Pound being spent.  

I happened to be in West Limerick today, not far from Curraghchase, and stopped to see the flurry of Sisk activity on the reinstatement of the Foynes Freight line. I sat there for 10 mins looking at this and trying to think exactly what freight is going to be chuffing along here. It really makes you wonder where our priorities are – surely this money would have far better spent on say the direct commuter link to Navan.  Priorities ? Bang for Buck ? not to mention value for money or internal rates of return….

Very very disappointing. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭jd

So for the Wexford line, it is proposing additional shuttles to Greystones. And then in the future, when Waterford Dublin line is upgraded, it is suggesting extending some Dublin Waterford services to Wexford over an upgraded South Wexford line to a new station to the south of Wexford town. It also mentions having a line to Wexford via New Ross!? It's not very clear..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Of all the crazy stuff, Sixmilebridge-Foynes electrification for €600-900m

WTAF

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

Obscene post deleted. ArcadiaJunction, take it easy.

Post edited by spacetweek on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I personally think the Ryder Cup in Adare is what is driving the Foynes line rebuild.

But there has been no proposal - until this - for passenger services and the rebuild is already underway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

I haven't followed rail infrastructure policy in a while but I sat down the morning to read through the review and, to my surprise, it's not as bad as I thought. The report authors Arup are pretty clear that what they've done is basically a menu rather than a roadmap:

This Chapter presents plausible choices for policymakers that, together, provide a route to achieving the Re iew’s oals and Objectives. In doing so, this Chapter presents a set of recommendations and summarises the case for taking them forward to the next stage of development. As stated in the introduction to this Report, the recommendations provided below do not represent official policy for either jurisdiction, but aim to provide a constructive, evidence-based approach for delivering the Goals and Objectives of this Review.

There were a few things I liked including that a Spencer Dock-Heuston tunnel would be transformative, but they should have stressed more that this would actually have big positive impacts for travellers from outside the GDA as well as inside. They also made the sensible point that Wexford-Dublin travellers would more usefully go through Waterford with a diesel coastal route terminating at Greystones for people to catch a DART.

In terms of the optics the biggest problem is the politicians pretending that much of this is deliverable when we all know that most of it isn't. It's a shame because when sensible projects like a DART tunnel in Dublin are on the table in 2030 we'll have a dozen TDs jumping up and down claiming that they are not getting their Lisburn to Mullingar line and why should Dublin get something if they are not.

But turning back to the review, there are a few things that really don't add up:

-Connecting Shannon and Belfast airports by rail. These are small airports and I'm sceptical there would be much of a modal switch for one arrival every 90 minutes and not much of a network to join. Even Manchester has only 16% rail model share and I count seven departures for Manchester Piccadilly per hour. The review only assumes 10% which is hard to imagine ever justifying the costs.

-For rail freight they propose developing a network of inland terminals close to major cities on the rail network. The obvious point is that major cities (Dublin, Cork, Belfast) already have a port nearby. Suppose you build a rail terminal at Hazelhatch. So you lift a container off a boat at Dublin Port, roll it on a train 15km to Hazelhatch, then lift it back on to a truck that delivers it to Liffey Valley. This makes no sense and you can repeat the exercise for Cork and Belfast.

-Some of the decarbonised options look like complete fantasy. I'm not an engineer but is there any solution for a 150km route from Portadown to Mullingar that does not involve OHLE or diesel?

-The report correctly identifies that four tracks are needed between Connolly and Drogheda but completely fudges how this would be done. I think this is a pity as hard choices will be needed here that are going to mess with people's back gardens and views but this is really where there are big benefits possible too.

-They propose a spur from Dublin Airport to Clongriffin which would suffer from very low patronage to speed and a very convoluted route. It would only mirror the Aerdart bus service of the early 2000s which collapsed due to low patronage. It would be even more irrelevant once metrolink is built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I guess I'm being cynical about how this country is run and how big sporting events can rule the roost. SFPC wanted this for years but now that the Ryder Cup is on their doorstep it's being done.

From what I understand it doesn't matter if any freight goes on the Foynes line but it needs the line to get a certain top level grade which I assume is good for business.

Limerick to Shannon airport is totally unnecessary as the bus service is more that adequate. It's brought up a lot around Limerick)by people who would never dream of doing anything but drive anyway) as some holy grail that gonna bring in loads of flights.

But Shannon industrial estate is a huge employer in the area so Limerick-Moyross-industrial estate would be welcome.

Also good potential on the Foynes route in places like Patrickswell to grow even further as a commuter town.

• Advertisement

Shannon has about 5% of the passenger numbers that Dublin has. Mentioning the 2 places in the same sentence as places for rail links is totally surreal nonsense. No sense of priorities whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Look I agree with you but that's "commuter rail" and that's what I was complaining about: this document quickly becomes meaningless if you don't consider commuter rail.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have yet to hear one good reason for a railway line to Shannon Airport except "I love trains and roads are bad".

1. The rail journey time from Limerick would be roughly the same journey time as the bus takes, and improved bus services can always be launched.
    2. The rail journey time from Galway is laughable and would not be able to compete with an M18 express bus
    3. There is ample car parking at Shannon Airport and it is directly accessible from the motorway in less than 5 minutes. (Passengers travelling through Dublin can avail of PT to the airport to save the trek from the car park, and passengers travelling through Dublin Airport may not even be able to avail of parking - this is not an issue at Shannon Airport).

The next issue if there was a rail link. How frequent would it be? Would it be of any use if it's not frequent? MetroLink proposes 90 second frequency so if your flight into Dublin is delayed there's no issue. Flights into Shannon being delayed/waiting for bags etc would cause severe onward delays unless the route is high enough frequency. Added to the knock on effects of missing connecting trains to final destinations etc.

I think this makes a lot of sense. The alignment south of Greystones is quite poor and slow and it makes more sense to piggyback off Waterford services from Wexford itself.

You can look at the NTA passenger census and patronage between Rosslare and Greystones is really low. There are a few factors but the main one is that the M11/N11 follows the population and the rail line doesn't - particularly in Wicklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

No there's benefit alright if you can build a rail commuter network in the Limerick area, because buses are stuck in traffic. We just don't do bus priority in Ireland. So for a Shannon town/industrial estate/airport plus maybe cratloe, moyross, etc you get a genuine commuter network. I think that's valuable alright

Ya but the airport is only 1/3 of the story.

Shannon is a huge employer for Limerick through the industrial estate and also a commuter town of 10,000.

The train/tram as a major boost to the airport itself has been a go to for waster backbench politicians for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭jd

It's mention of an option of going via New Ross that had me scratching my head! Agree though,if Waterford line gets 200 km/hrs running it makes sense to piggyback on it.

Where has it been mentioned that Shannon airport rail link is higher priority than Dublin?

a lot of reaching going on here to find something to be outraged about. Some people complaining about the doc bring light on detail wrt implementation of some schemes - thats the whole point! This was to be a very high level review of rail services on the island of ireland - not a meticulous plan on how to 4 track north of connolly detailing who will lose gardens, and be subject to CPOs.

The scope of this review is along the lines of: if X service is built, it will add Y million euro to the economy, Z amount of CO2 saved, and cater for N number of passengers per year.

It is not a technical document.

Post edited by timmyntc on

You completely misintrepret what I said. Rail link to Shannon (for pax) is mad. Rail link to Dublin is at least a sane proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

How many miles of new rail alignment has the state built again?

If we had already quad tracked Heuston-Kylemore and Connolly-Clongriffen and already (re) dualled the route to Galway/Limerick/Waterford then you might say there was some hope of the more ambitious stuff in this report (new alignments). But we have reopened next to nothing and built nothing new at all so how much confidence could you have in any of this more ambitious stuff? Not a lot. Couple it with the need for NI to deliver their side and you couldn't honestly say much of what's in this report will see the light of day. Like all the reports that went before it. The political will isn't there because Irish people don't demand this stuff.

Rail from Limerick to Shannon connects an airport to rail network, connects large industrial estate in Shannon with Limerick city, and also functions as a commuter line for Limerick. Nothing mad about it.

• Advertisement

Sorry to go against the flow here but the idea of Wexford via Waterford in more nonsense. It overcomes a problem (capacity issue between Bray and Greystones) that the general commuting/travelling public is neither aware of nor interested in. Even if the the Wexford via Waterford line speed was maximised the full length, the only displacement of travellers will be from the current rail service (Dublin-Wexford direct) to the new route. It's unlikely to attract any additional transfer from Road to Rail. And would make the Greystones to Wexford route even less viable than it currently is.

This is just more of the solution looking for a problem to fix mentality. There was a train running from A to B it 1879 therefore we must preserve this for the future. There is a small cohort for whom these routes make sense in 2023. Nobody else is interested and spending a lot of money improving these services from dreadful to awful and useless to near useless is daft. You simply will not get the modal shifts that are being talked about. The future of rail in this country is for high volume passenger traffic in the GDA, inter city and some opportunistic use of track for commuter travel elsewhere provided house construction can be aligned. A policy that is based on spending vast sums attempting to make Victorian tramways relevant is ridiculous and needs to be called out. Limerick - Galway proved that conclusively.

Electrifying the current lines and extending them to Shannon isn't just mad, it's a criminal waste of money. If Ryan had suggested doing this it would be safe to ignore it. It's altogether different when Arup put their name to nonsense like this and it does serious damage to whatever credibility the review might otherwise have. 

I'm assuming that the €600-900m is for the electrification of the lines from Colbert to Sixmlebridge and Colbert to Foynes. There is so much wrong with this it's difficult to know where to start. 85% of this combined C shape passes through open green fields and ultra low density housing and that is unlikely to change anytime in the foreseeable future. Outside of the section from Myross to Raheen, the connected “population centres” are Sixmiebridge, Cratloe, Patrickswell, Adare, Askeaton and Foynes. Combined population 7,500, many of whom live far from the nearest station. Throw in Bunratty and Shannon on the basis of the airport link and you get to 17,000 total. Add 3,000 for new housing to be built on the line by those far seeing strategic thinkers in Clare and Limerick Councils and you get to 20,000. Potential passenger journeys per day, perhaps 500, 750, 1,000 ? Trains a day 8, 10, 12 ? This is complete and utter nonsense and makes zero sense. Just use a battery train. Oh and what about the one, or two freight trains per day or is it weekly ? And worst of all, the inclusion of daft stuff like this debases the entire report. Think what that figure of €600-900m could achieve in the Dublin area where there is a crying need and huge demand for investment, with a return on investment (social and environmental not to mention financial) that is stratospherically better. 

Unless of course Arup though that the enormous volume of freight that moves daily between Sixmilebridge and Foynes required a direct route and the budget figure included a 5km rail tunnel/bridge to cross the Shannon between Bunratty and Pallaskenry.....

Yes but it would improve speed and reliability on the southside DART line because there would be no shared running with diesel services originating south of Greystones.

There are orders of magnitude more southside DART users than there every will be in all of Wexford and Wicklow south of Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

I agree it is hard to see shannon-airport spur, even if it was part of some Limerick Area Rapid Transport systems would it be viable.

Dublin Airport needs a rail link, the MetroLink we are still waiting (needs to connect with the northern line! after swords, donabate?), but a heavy rail link should be also looked at.

Belfast International a link to the belfast-derry line at antrim or south of it is surely feasible reusing some of the line from aldergrove to antrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

And it's not just Limerick. Shannon industrial estate employs people across the Midwest. From Ennis to Nenagh and surrounding areas.

It's the 3rd biggest town in the region.

There absolutely is justification for investigating the merit of commuter rail between the larger towns across the midwest region. It shouldn't be dismissed because of the airport link talk. That's an additional benefit of the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This encapsulates why rail will never ever be improved in Ireland. If we get electrification of the Cork Dublin line and a bit of dual tracking in the next 25 years, that'll be about the most that will come of this review.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If you want a viable commuter network for the Greater Limerick area, then you need to ignore the Green plans for reusing an old rail line that meanders through green fields out towards Co. Clare and through low density housing on a single track line that has no room to be double tracked and doesn't serve one of the largest populations in the city in Castletroy or the University and the Plassey Tech Park.

Also people living in the Raheen/Dooradoyle area aren't going to use a service that brings them into the Colbert Station and then heads out the Ennis line to Shannon when they can drive there though the tunnel in 20 minutes.

The only way commuter rail works for the Limerick area is completely new dual track alignments that actually serve all of the city and can match the M7/N18 for speed (this is also needed for the Limerick Galway line). This is never going to happen though as Limericks population density (never mind the actual population) is far too low for what would be multi billion Euro expenditure. And it also shows the folly of the plans mentioned in the review.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

People keep saying a heavy rail link (not Metrolink) to Dublin Airport makes sense, but does it really?

In the abstract of course it does. But when you look into the detail of how you would actually do it and how much it would cost, then I feel it starts to fall apart. If we are basically spending 8 Billion just to get intercity trains to the airport, then it starts to fall apart. It definitely isn't worth that, not when the same money could be instead spent on a second Metrolink line, etc.

Honestly I've never gotten what the obsession with directly conecting heavy rail to the airport is?

Obviously Metrolink will go to the airport, but that isn't the main point of Metrolink, it is to get to Swords and open up massive amounts of development land in North Dublin. The Airport is just the Cherry on top. But here ARUP is suggesting we spend Billions for relatively small amount of benefit!

Honestly I'm not sure it would pass any sort of cost benefit analysis.

Honestly I'm not sure it would pass any sort of cost benefit analysis.

It wouldn't. I get the feeling that when some lad in Arup was asked to prepare a CBA he misunderstood the acronym and took it to heart.

AFAIK, the following airports are on intercity networks:

Birmingham

Manchester

Luton (1km peoplemover to terminal)

Stansted (stub off mainline?)

Gatwick

Heathrow (stub off GWML?)

Amsterdam

Brussels

Berlin

Koln

Frankfurt

Stuttgart (will be)

Paris CDG

Lyon

Are they all mad? No.

As airports generate a lot of trips, it makes sense for them to be on intercity lines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement