Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Stansted is a kip, but I think Manchester Terminal 3 is worse. It's a horrible place to be stuck waiting for a delayed flight. Which unfortunately I have been a few times. I'd nearly pay more to fly with Aer Lingus regional into another Terminal there, if they ever brought the route back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What do you dislike about Stansted?

It's airy, usually not too hot, queues usually not too bad, plenty of seating, much the same restaurants and shops as any UK airport. I don't understand the hate.

It's been a good few years tbf, so maybe it's improved. But the last few times I was there, it was rammed, with barely anywhere to sit. It was a bit run-down, dirty and hot

If the times suit i guess I'd use it, but luckily whenever going to London with Ryanair, Gatwick always seems to work out better with times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its just such a Ryanair airport - everything built to extract cash from you wherever it can. The whole thing feels designed not to suit travellers, just generic loud, annoying British tourists going to Magaluf.

The lounges also suck. Four different types of cold pasta were all that was on offer last time.

I'll fly through it, don't get me wrong, but I prefer the other airports in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's a shopping mall masquerading as an airport. I've had some horrendous experiences coming through Stansted.

You can pay extra to "un-ryanair" the whole experience and it's a gamechanger. I forget exactly what it's called but some kind of priority ticket. You don't need to go through the seven circles of hell to get to the plane.

• Advertisement

Its the deception that annoys me... no way to see how long the security queues until you decide NOT to use the Ryanair style upsell to fast track. Then the main area has very little seating and the most overpriced of overpriced restaurants - worse than normal airport prices.

And one of the first to bring in paid drop-off. Free drop off is at the very far end of the furthest carpark and the longest bus.

Even the car hire is by bus... so then you get a stampede when you get off the bus to pick up your car. No pavements anywhere either, as if the whole place is designed to get you to use paid hotel buses and not walk (although I beat that more than once with a 25 minute walk to the Premier Inn. £4 for the bloody bus, pre Covid).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

The obsession with transatlantic in the news again. For a good chuck of the airports catchment area you would be in Shannon in the same lenght of time with pre clearance etc. When talking about connections to the americas how about flights to Lisbon. They should try to attract TAP airlines to cork. They have already gone on record this year that dublin lisbon is one of their most profitable routes given the amount of south americans living here and they use it as a connecting hub. Surely cork has the potential to tap (excuse the pun) into that market.

Also maybe a route to Istanbul as a hub for connections to long haul east given the amount of people from India etc livin here and the amount of Irish in UAE, australia new zealand etc. Both these hubs could be year round too

• CDG T1 is just ancient and airport is inefficient at best. What annoys me about it when I’ve used it as a transfer hub is you can’t do it in an hour or so. It’s just very sprawling and there are extremely long walks involved. It also has limited or ancient facilities.

I have some back problems and it was an absolute nightmare. I would never use it again - I can’t sprint, but I can walk at a normal ish pace, even if had to use a trolley as a walking aid - getting to the connection took way too long and I missed it!!! Ground crew were fairly dismissive too, even though I speak fluent French. LHR and AMS are sooooo much easier!

I got threatened by some guy on the RER B last time I was in Paris itself too. Not a fun experience.

The only thing I would say for CDG is the links to the TGV network are useful if you’re going to a French destination and AF can do ticketing for that.

I’d agree on Lisbon as a destination that would be hugely useful.

Cork also needs much better connectivity to Germany. It’s surprisingly sparse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The majority of Cork's catchment is in the greater city area and West Cork. I almost never hear of people in and around the city using Shannon, when you factor in the dangerous and unpleasant drive, the lack of public transport options and the price and options out of Dublin, it's just easier to go to the capital. I can also see why JFK, Boston and Newark are more attractive than Lisbon or Istanbul, the routes have greater potential. Lisbon as a transfer destination doesn't offer a huge amount more than Amsterdam or London and will never be able to compete with those two on the frequency of routes out of Cork. Istanbul, until it gets a direct route to Australia, doesn't offer a huge amount more than Amsterdam or Heathrow either, whereas the three big East Coast airports open up a whole new world of connections as well as being more appealing P2P than either Lisbon or Istanbul. Thats not to say that Lisbon or Istanbul aren't targeted but you could see why they are lower priority than the East Coast routes. A Qatar Airways route with an A321 Neo, which deliver in 2026, may be a better option than Istanbul, given the Australia and New Zealand connections.

Here is the article for anyone interested: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cork-airport-chiefs-in-talks-about-direct-flights-to-new-york/a2118288316.html

You can actually avoid the dangerous drive by going up the motorway as far as mitchelstowns and cut cross country by hospital. Have done it many a time and know a few others at work that do the same. You seem to forget notrh cork, tipperary are within the catchment area.

• Advertisement

I would also go via Hospital if I am going to Limerick but the road from the M8 to Limerick is still horrific.

North Cork (say North of Mallow and Fermoy) and Tipp are in the catchment but neither are particularly significant I'd imagine. The population of that part of Cork is tiny and most people in Tipp will choose Dublin Airport over Cork, even towns in South Tipp on the M8 are only saving a 30 or 40 minute drive by going to Cork over Dublin. I don't think enough of a percentage of people using Cork Airport are from those regions to even consider how Shannon would impact transatlantic, the more pressing concern would be the thousands of people boarding the Aircoach every week on the Lower Glanmire Road and how to get them to use the airport in their backyard instead. A route to New York would be a huge pull.

Post edited by snotboogie on

Thats a pretty awful road, too.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to it and I remember when it was worse, but I don't mind the Cork Limerick road at all.

• I don't get it sometimes. Just as an example, a friend of mine got the air coach to go to Dublin to get to Amsterdam because it was about €20 cheaper !! In reality it wasn't. He just only calculated it based on the ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Its mind boggling isn't it? I know some people who just book from Dublin "because they forgot to even check anywhere else!"......

Would the population of cork city and west cork be large enough to sustain a twice weekly for example service. Im back living in tipp (i still use cork when i can) but id take shannon as pre clearance would save the hassle at the other end. Plus given the time of year there more flexibility for trip duration as there is a daily service between shannon and new york in summer season.. plenty of people here in tipp now with the opinion give me cork or shannon over dublin.

Yes there are loads that get the aircoach to dublin as a result of not looking at options. I got to the stage i just laught when i hear the likes of obit was 20 euro cheaper. I hear in working in limerick now too why people might not use a route served by shannon. Its like some think if its not served by either ryanair or air lingus then it serverd from Cork. Before covid when still living in cork i went to madrid for a long weekend. The amount of people at work that said your flying from cork didnt think you could and had never heard of Iberria flying from cork.

And even to this day on social media you have people called for a flight to Rome. Like hello check the website and select destinations

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

What about all the multinational companies in Cork, whose staff have to get flights out of other airports to get to US ?

The numbers on the Norwegian service a few years ago, that was serving Providence were not at all that bad, for what is not as such a hub airport over there.

Hate that bus to/from Dublin Airport.

If planning holidays we generally choose from what's going from Cork.

A small group of us did the same for a weekend breaks. After the summer routes were announced we pick one of the new ones for a break in september. My friends are still doing it. Hope to rejoin them in a few years once the kids are older

Whinging about the demand for transatlantic, because there should be more European connections baffles me. The airport can and should have both!

If Cork gets USA flights, it won't be long before there's calls for pre-clearance at the airport. It's logical when Irish airports have that unique opportunity of being the only European country to have it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tbh transatlantic from Cork would be a nice to have but it’s going to be challenging from a technical point of view first of all. There was talks of Delta on the 757 pre Covid but the 757 is becoming a rare bird now. The A321neo is struggling with runway performance and the only potential realistic option would be the 737 Max.

Shannon becomes a very different animal when the M20 gets built. It currently operates flights to Chicago and Newark in the summer, and Boston/JFK practically year round (I can’t remember which one takes a break in the winter but they alternated pre Covid).

Lets say John is going to New York on a business trip and these are his options

1. Trek to Dublin and go through the rigmarole up there
    2. Fly Cork-London/Amsterdam-New York
    3. Drive just over an hour to Shannon and fly direct to New York with pre clearance

Number 3 becomes much more attractive in a post M20 world when the road to Shannon isn’t a narrow congested death trap. A quiet airport, easy to get through, pre clearance, it’s a no brainer imo.

Shannon will become more and more usable as the road network in Munster gets upgraded.

• Advertisement

Shannon would win for me even now - because as it stands Shannon has pre-clearance and Cork does not. Simple as that.

I'd rather drive the extra 1h30m (for me) and step out in the US at a domestic terminal. A 2hr drive arriving home is do-able, versus the 3hrs from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This.

Shannon will become the go-to for trans-Atlantic flights for people from Cork once the M20 gets done.

If Emirates or Etihad or Qatar-airways get a flight to the ME from there, it would be a huge success IMO.

Cork Airport should focus on European routes.

So the population of Cork will be used to supplement long haul routes out of a smaller competitor airport? Reinforces how crazy it was not to extend the runway during the covid renovations.

Yes the middle east would be a big win for shannon been saying it for sometime.

Regardles of an M20 there is still a lot of potential for Cork to expand with Shannon doing its own thing. For example Cork should be focusing on more year round routes and longer summer schedule services. Not everyone goes on hols between may and september.. getting the likes of Glasgow back too should be on the agendas. Cork has done well in getting other airlines apart from Ryanair and Air Lingus in and should continue with this focus. Be great if they could get Iberia to Madrid back for a longer summerr duration than they were serving before covid. They are just 2 examples i can think of at the top of my head. Im sure posters have other examples like Germany badly served. If the regionals had a good spread of distinations people will use them to avoid the madness of Dublin and its only going to continue expanding long haul like to china. Only yesterday someone was telling me their parents travelled from waterford to kerry to avoid dublin

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think you're being a little parochial here. Of course everyone would like an airport less than 20 minutes away with direct services to all the destinations they desire but Shannon is already an established long haul airport that has far more of the infrastructure needed to progress these ambitions. It is also better located for a wider catchment of all of Munster, Connacht and quite a few midland counties than an airport on the southern edge of the most southern county of Ireland that lacks the necessary infrastructure. Let's have a more feasible alternative to DUB for the western and southern half of the island using what already exists.

I say this with no bias to either Shannon or Cork as neither are my nearest international airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Besides, it's more than just the runway and preclearance. Shannon is a very well-established maintenance base, meaning that there's plenty of help and know-how available if an aircraft goes tech or has an emergency, not to mention plenty of space to park the flightless bird in question without impeding airport operations whilst the necessary spare parts are organized.

Would I like to see direct US flights from Cork? Damn right I would! Do I think that Cork has the potential for it? Hell yes, the Norwegian flights to Providence proved that we could even fill a low-cost bird flying into a secondary airport without onward connections, apart from the MBTA commuter trains to Boston. So yeah, I'd say a 2-3 weekly flight to a single destination is viable, especially if it's from a bigger airline that can offer onward connections.

Should that be the airport's top priority though? No. The number 1 priority should be to secure more year-round European flights, particularly from airlines other than Aer Dublin or Ryanair! Get the Lufthansa flight to go year-round, get Iberia back, get Air France year-round again, and some flights by the likes of LOT or SAS, that would help cork a whole lot more than a solitary transatlantic route.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

About 400K people live within a 30 min drive of Cork airport alone plus major business's and industry etc., Rep. of Ireland's second city, how is that parochial? If Cork airport think there is a market for flights to New York and the runway is currently sufficient for certain aircraft then work away. As has been mentioned, the runway should have been extended during covid, it just needs to be extended a few hundred meters to enable long haul for all aircraft. A survey was done about 10 years ago identifying where the runway can be extended for this, the report is on the Cork County Council site. The new terminal and infrastructure in Cork was a costly investment, so it's pretty obvious that a relatively small extension to the runway should also be done to fully release it's potential. Cork easily out performs Shannon on all competing European routes, so it seems pretty obvious Cork should have long haul routes.

I’m not saying transatlantic should be number one priority, I’m saying that foregoing all long haul routes to Shannon because of the M20 is an insane position for the airport to take. It’s even crazier again to be lobbying the population of Cork to get Shannon Middle Eastern routes with the advent of the M20. Cork should be putting themselves in the best position to fight the long haul battle before the M20 is built. Not sit back and think we’ll just use Shannon. That’s a complete abdication of responsibility to get the best possible service for the city. If it turns out what the airport management have been saying over and over, that year round flights to the East Coast are possible with new aircraft is incorrect, that’s a stunning miscalculation. Especially since they never even applied to extend the runway during the rework.

Well, we already know east coast flights are possible with the 737 max aircraft. So at least there is that. A previous poster pointed out the runway may not be long enough for the new A321 Neo aircraft.

The main runway couldn't be positioned worse for any extension, with there being a hill at both ends of it. With the amount of planning needed for such a big job, public consultation and securing funds, getting it done during the recent works on the runway would have been a big ask. The resurfacing had to be done anyway, as the existing surface was in a bad state. And they had to secure funds for that at the time too.

If smaller long haul aircrafts continue to be developed, I doubt they will be looking into any runway expansion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd rather more European flights than transatlantic tbf. Like Lisbon was mentioned above and that was a flight that Aer Lingus did before and it would be great to see back. Serves as a good city break (and works year round for that) and a connection option for all the South Americans here. Madrid would do similar too. Frankfurt would also be nice to have as a hub option, as we're kind of poorly served to Germany as is anyway.

For more city break options, Ryanair used to do Budapest which is a nice city and it's got easy links to Bratislava and Vienna too. Athens would be quite nice (particularly if they didn't just run it in the summer months as who wants to go there now), or better time options to likes of Italy would be good (flights are too short turnaround really for a decent break)

Advertisement